Jump to content

Roe v Wade US abortion law to be overturned, leaked court decision suggests


Recommended Posts

Roe v Wade US abortion law to be overturned, leaked court decision suggests

https://www.theage.com.au/world/north-america/leaked-us-supreme-court-decision-suggests-majority-set-to-overturn-roe-v-wade-politico-reports-20220503-p5ai2m.html
 

Washington: A leaked initial draft majority opinion suggests the US Supreme Court has voted to overturn the Roe v Wade decision that legalised abortion nationwide, Politico reported.

Reuters could not immediately confirm the draft independently.

“Roe was egregiously wrong from the start,” Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the draft opinion, according to Politico on Monday Washington-time.

A leak from the Supreme Court is unprecedented. APnone

Four of the other Republican-appointed justices – Clarence Thomas, Neil Gorsuch, Brett Kavanaugh and Amy Coney Barrett - voted with Alito in the conference held among the justices, the report added.

“It is possible there have been some changes since then (Feb 10),“ Politico reporter Josh Gerstein, who broke the story, said on MSNBC late on Monday Washington time.

Associate Justice Samuel Alito last year.APnone

The draft report leaked to Politico does not say that abortion should be banned nationwide, but instead argues that the Constitution does not prohibit states from regulating or prohibiting abortion.

Overturning Roe v Wade would empower several Southern and Midwestern states to impose strict abortion bans - although it would not block states from choosing to allow the procedure.

After an initial vote among the justices following the oral argument, one is assigned the majority opinion and writes a draft.

It is then circulated among the justices. At times, in between the initial vote and the ruling being released, the vote alignment can change.

A ruling is only final when it is published by the court.

In a post on Twitter, Neal Katyal, a lawyer who regularly argues before the court, said if the report was accurate it would be “the first major leak from the Supreme Court ever”.

Politico said only that it received “a copy of the draft opinion from a person familiar with the court’s proceedings in the Mississippi case along with other details supporting the authenticity of the document.”

The landmark Roe v Wade decision almost 50 years ago gave women in the US the right to seek an abortion but it has been disputed and contested many times over the years.

Related Article

In that time abortion has emerged a central issue in American politics, dividing progressives - which typically supports a woman’s right to choose - from conservatives, which equate the procedure to a crime. Importantly, it has also served as a galvanising issue for religious voters courted by Republicans.

In 1973, the Supreme Court handed down the landmark decision that Texas did not have a constitutional right to restrict Norma McCorvey - assigned the court pseudonym Jane Roe- from having an abortion, although the procedure was illegal in the state at the time unless the mother’s life was in danger.

Republican governors in several states have sought to reintroduce abortion bans and restrictions - notably Texas, which has sought to ban terminations as soon as foetal activity can be detected. Like many states, it has passed a “trigger law” enforcing its abortion bans if Roe v Wade is officially overturned by the Supreme Court.

Related Article

If the court does overturn Roe, twenty-six states would ban or severely restrict abortion.

A group of Republican senators have been lobbying to introduce a nationwide ban, according to The Washington Post, which reported that the antiabortion group Susan B Anthony List had approached 10 possible presidential candidates including Donald Trump to discuss the possibility.

However, a nationwide abortion ban would be difficult to pass, as it would require 60 votes in the Senate, and would be opposed by almost all Democrats and some pro-choice Republicans.

President Joe Biden, while a Catholic, is pro-choice and would likely oppose signing such a bill into law.

New York Governor Kathy Hochul, a Democrat, said on Twitter that New York will “always guarantee” the right to abortion.

“This is an absolutely disgraceful attack on our fundamental right to choose, and we will fight it with everything we’ve got,” Hochul said on Twitter in a reaction to Politico’s report.

Reuters, AP, staff writers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Paul said:

Shocking that America could go back to dark age views.

I know.  The world is very frightening at the moment with right wingers gaining more and more power. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Access to birth control, inter-racial marriage, same-sex marriage, sodomy - expect any federal legal protections to be attacked by Republican led States and the SC next

It is absolutely mind-boggling, the absolute shit-hole that the US is becoming....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just a technical question. Is there a possibility for states to secess from the U.S.?  Or does the constitution forbids that?

If Roe vs. Wade will be overturned, it will get ugly, very ugly. But it will be the moment all liberal people will finally wake up. I already see woman practising an abortion with a wire hanger on the steps lof the Supreme Court Building. That said, all liberal states should actively promote the possibility to have an abortion in their states to provide a safe haven for the women in need coming from Nazi states, to be named Gilead in the near future. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were warned that this would happen… and yet the marching over the cliff continues.

I really love the USA so I hope that enough people wake up before it’s too late. Sadly I think it’s going to get much more ugly.

Conservative people are scum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am surprised more American members are not in this thread.   This is truly taking the USA back decades in the worst possible way if this happens.  The way these judges can change and dictate rights of American people so easily is terrifying.   Women's rights are being eroded completely all in the name of religion if this is overturned.  I hope more people now wake up to what ultra conservative religious people in power can and will do.  If this does not wake people up, then nothing will. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, swimtoshore said:

Access to birth control, inter-racial marriage, same-sex marriage, sodomy - expect any federal legal protections to be attacked by Republican led States and the SC next

It is absolutely mind-boggling, the absolute shit-hole that the US is becoming....

Yes, anything not embedded in the original constitution is fair game for these fanatics.

Interesting to see if the populace actually stands up to this shit or not.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I guess the 2020s haven’t been enough of a shitshow. It’s like the world collectively decided: “it’s been a good run, now let’s go cray cray…”. 
Who would have thought the USA would be en route to really becoming the Handmaid’s Tale. 
All you Bernie Bros and Susan Sarandon who couldn’t bring yourself to vote for Hillary because reason, I hope you are proud as fuck. Come 2024 the totalitarian picture will be complete. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, that’s so frightening, there’s so much at stake. We’re going back 75 years behind. Witch hunt is at our doors.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't believe we're even having this conversation. The US already has the worst maternity leave of the world's developed countries: 0 weeks off. And the average cost to have a baby is $10,000 - $30,000. So, as usual these Republican freaks don't give a damn about what happens to the child after birth, or about the mother's state prior to birth. And because they have the money, we all know that rich Republican women with bleach blonde hair and veneers - you all know the type - will continue to travel to states that allow abortion, so this is only punishing the poor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is just so saddening and disheartening to me. 

It seems so simple: you don't want to have an abortion? Then don't. But the fact that these motherfuckers are trying to take the choice away from others is outrageous. 

 

I predict if this shitshow comes to pass, then there will be a 2 tier system. Republican, conservative states will outlaw abortion - leading to more unwanted kids, child abuse, poverty etc in those places. Democrat states will continue to offer access, and may start getting out of state folks. 

 

With news like this, it really does make me toy with the idea of moving out of the US. The amount of political division, fighting and posturing, and viciousness (eg. Florida trying to fuck Disney over simply for its viewpoint) is just exhausting. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/4/2022 at 5:04 AM, MadFan said:

I can't believe we're even having this conversation. The US already has the worst maternity leave of the world's developed countries: 0 weeks off. And the average cost to have a baby is $10,000 - $30,000. So, as usual these Republican freaks don't give a damn about what happens to the child after birth, or about the mother's state prior to birth. And because they have the money, we all know that rich Republican women with bleach blonde hair and veneers - you all know the type - will continue to travel to states that allow abortion, so this is only punishing the poor.

Yes, it is just dreadful that so many I see are so horrified by abortion under any circumstances but could not care less about the child when they are born. Poverty, illness, abuse etc - they don't want to lift a finger to help but are all out there like deranged angry people before the birth, blaming the mother and having no compassion or sympathy for her. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The US is honestly on another planet. The whole country is unhinged. Between this and QAnon, conspiracies, election fraud claims, Fox News, the whole country is fucked. I feel like they’ve gone up over the edge and there is no saving it. Imagine it being 2022 and legislation regarding interracial marriage or access to birth control is even up for discussion. What the fuck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Michael. said:

The US is honestly on another planet. The whole country is unhinged. Between this and QAnon, conspiracies, election fraud claims, Fox News, the whole country is fucked. I feel like they’ve gone up over the edge and there is no saving it. Imagine it being 2022 and legislation regarding interracial marriage or access to birth control is even up for discussion. What the fuck. 

It's not necessarily true, though. It's not the whole country and that's what's so infuriating. It's a minority that controls the country and makes these decisions, and that's the problem. Look at this, which I think it does a good job at illustrating at a high level just how bad this is: 

Mother Jones on Twitter: "By 2040, roughly 70 percent of Americans will  live in 15 states with 30 senators, while the other 30 percent, who are  whiter, older, and more rural than

I feel hopeless. And I can't help but feel like we're swinging so far and fast in the other direction because a powerful and strong minority were SO angry and felt SO threatened that a pro-gay, pro-marijuana, pro-healthcare for all BLACK man won the presidency. Literally, 1 man who stood for everything they've used to hold down the minorities and control our population blew up in their face and they have made sure to use every sneaky trick they have in their evil book to make sure they make continue to hold us back for at least another generation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USA has become such a difficult place to live that I wonder why Americans don’t mígate. I just read an article that if USA applied to be part of the EU it would be denied access because of the lack of human rights. Just imagine the mess that such a big and important and in some ways exemplary country has become since the 80s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, karbatal said:

USA has become such a difficult place to live that I wonder why Americans don’t mígate. I just read an article that if USA applied to be part of the EU it would be denied access because of the lack of human rights. Just imagine the mess that such a big and important and in some ways exemplary country has become since the 80s.

They do. They leave for Canada and for Europe. And most of them don't think about moving back. Ever. Of course, once they realize how much better Europe is, especially from a social point of view, the U.S. cannot compete. Especially if they intend to have a family. Not only this. Work-Life balance is horrible in the U.S. There are tons of videos on Youtube that deal with the lack of rights (paid holidays, maternity leave, job protection, paid sick days etc. etc. etc.) in the U.S. All of the things that are completely normal in Europe and basically every developed country in the World. I'm often astounded why U.S. citizens accept this. Well, they are lied to, big time and unfortunately the majority appears to believe those lies. I guess all it takes is to tell them that Europeans pay 70 or 80 percent taxes. Which of course is complete nonsense. Yes, you pay higher taxes (income taxes that is, there are taxes in the U.S. that are minimal or non-existent in Europe, like property or wealth taxes) and social security contributions but you get a full social net from healthcare to education and much more. I don't get why people from Europe still move to the U.S.. Money I guess? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

They do. They leave for Canada and for Europe. And most of them don't think about moving back. Ever. Of course, once they realize how much better Europe is, especially from a social point of view, the U.S. cannot compete. Especially if they intend to have a family. Not only this. Work-Life balance is horrible in the U.S. There are tons of videos on Youtube that deal with the lack of rights (paid holidays, maternity leave, job protection, paid sick days etc. etc. etc.) in the U.S. All of the things that are completely normal in Europe and basically every developed country in the World. I'm often astounded why U.S. citizens accept this. Well, they are lied to, big time and unfortunately the majority appears to believe those lies. I guess all it takes is to tell them that Europeans pay 70 or 80 percent taxes. Which of course is complete nonsense. Yes, you pay higher taxes (income taxes that is, there are taxes in the U.S. that are minimal or non-existent in Europe, like property or wealth taxes) and social security contributions but you get a full social net from healthcare to education and much more. I don't get why people from Europe still move to the U.S.. Money I guess? 

They do? Canadians sometimes move to the US when they're young and healthy, if they work in an industry where the pay is higher in the U.S. (for example, software engineers, computer science majors, web developers make considerably more money there). But they usually always return when they start a family or get older. Because as you said, job security and all the other protections you mentioned, don't exist there - it's really just a place to get in, save money, and get out.

Many retired Canadians snowbird in Florida in the winter but that's different - they'll own their property outright and have health insurance, etc.

As for why Americans don't migrate more, it's difficult to - they don't get any special privileges when applying to Canada, it's a strictly points-based system and all applicants in the world are put in the same pool. The UK, Australia, and New Zealand have similar immigration procedures. :fag:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s hard to believe that such a regression could be possible in 2022. Then again a war in Europe was unthinkable two months ago and here we are. It seems people would never learn. Obv the 30ties are well forgotten 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...