2024 U.S. Presidential Election

Camacho

I agree that you can't trust polls, especially this far out but it's still alarming to see someone in the position Trump is in currently to be in the lead. In 2016 it could be argued we didn't know (although WE KNEW) what we were getting into with Trump, in 2024 WE KNOW so if that's the collective choice we make AGAIN then we damn well deserve every bad thing that results from that. Ever since 2016, every election is so fucking dramatic (and traumatic in some cases) but hey....if Trump wins, at least we won't have to worry about 2028 election drama. 

Democrats actually had a pretty good night on Tuesday (November 7).

• Ohio (a fairly red state that went for Trump in 2016 and 2020) voted to enshrine abortion rights into their state constitution despite Republicans' best efforts to defeat it.
  • Ohio also legalized recreational marijuana by a wide margin.
  • The Democratic governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear, won re-election - in part by running on abortion rights (in a red state!).
  • Democrats flipped the Virginia House of Delegates and kept their majority in the Virginia Senate. This has pretty much ended Republican governor Glenn Youngkin's 2024 presidential aspirations.

I would take all this pearl clutching with a grain of salt. Not that anyone should be complacent in the Biden circle. However, the GOP appears to be doing everything they can to lose. Abortion rights continue to be an effective weapon against the GOP, and their boy, Trump, is responsible for Roe v. Wade being overturned via his three Supreme Court justice appointments.

I'd rather be Biden right now than Trump.

On 11/9/2023 at 5:29 AM, Nightshade said:

Democrats actually had a pretty good night on Tuesday (November 7).

• Ohio (a fairly red state that went for Trump in 2016 and 2020) voted to enshrine abortion rights into their state constitution despite Republicans' best efforts to defeat it.
  • Ohio also legalized recreational marijuana by a wide margin.
  • The Democratic governor of Kentucky, Andy Beshear, won re-election - in part by running on abortion rights (in a red state!).
  • Democrats flipped the Virginia House of Delegates and kept their majority in the Virginia Senate. This has pretty much ended Republican governor Glenn Youngkin's 2024 presidential aspirations.

I would take all this pearl clutching with a grain of salt. Not that anyone should be complacent in the Biden circle. However, the GOP appears to be doing everything they can to lose. Abortion rights continue to be an effective weapon against the GOP, and their boy, Trump, is responsible for Roe v. Wade being overturned via his three Supreme Court justice appointments.

I'd rather be Biden right now than Trump.

It's so easy to get caught up in all of these "polls" that at the end of the day don't mean anything......just ask Hillary, every poll back in '16 had her winning. Tuesday night really put things into perspective. MAGA is LOUD and they are absolutely passionate (after all, it IS essentially a cult at this point) but they aren't the majority. You'll be hard pressed to find Dems as passionate about Biden (or any Dem politician) as MAGA is about Trump but that's actually not a bad thing. Dems and "swing" voters ARE passionate about the issues and as we've seen in the '18 midterms, '20 general election, '21 runoff election, '22 midterms and now in this off year of '23 elections, the majority of Americans aren't here for the extreme MAGA bullshit authoritarian agenda. Let's just hope that clarity is still here a year from now.

For so many years Republicans have wanted to overturn Roe and they got their wish. I don't think they foresaw the full consequences of that. It's been nearly a year and a half and people are STILL as pissed off as they were the day they found out. It's also worth noting that the governor's race in MISSISSIPPI was even competitive....that's unheard of. I think the incumbent Republican "only" won by about 6 points. MS is a DEEP RED state so the fact that a discussion of a Dem even coming close to winning that state speaks volumes.

• 2 months later...

Horrid. If Dumb wins, USA & EU are fucked, RU would probably trive, UKR would be given to RU, probably the Baltics or Poland or Romania and BG... Biden's presidency was deffinately not great, but Dumb once more? Fuck noooo. Hope Biden wins.

No way Biden is getting re-elected.  I can’t believe in all the US huge country huge population they don’t have atleast 1 decent candidate. Ridiculous 

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2024 at 1:50 PM, Jessica Rabbit said:

No way Biden is getting re-elected.  I can’t believe in all the US huge country huge population they don’t have atleast 1 decent candidate. Ridiculous 

The trouble is it's all about who has enough money to fund the campaign which is why they tend to get just rich old guys.

Biden seems past it already. What's he going to be like in a couple of years? 

But I don't know how trump is not in jail yet. 

I think trump will get it though. Even democrats are questioning Biden now. 

I see a lot of people saying that the State of the union speech can swing the things a little bit. You guys think that is a chance for Biden at all?

Trump winning is a absolute nightmare, even though Biden is a accomplice of genocide. Trump is the worst, no matter what.

This is so depressing. It baffles me how anyone can think trump is sane, let alone competent  to run a country. 

On 2/2/2024 at 5:56 AM, zephyralexxx said:

Everyone I know from US is voting for Trump.

ok, I have the same feeling. Well, my cousin won´t, but that´s it. I wonder why. I mean, is it the economy? the war? what has happened internally, nationally that has made so many people go pro trump?

6 hours ago, promise to try said:

ok, I have the same feeling. Well, my cousin won´t, but that´s it. I wonder why. I mean, is it the economy? the war? what has happened internally, nationally that has made so many people go pro trump?

could be that Americans want isolation and NOT to lead? Or pay for other ppl defence? I wonder why too? Since the US economy seems to be doing great.

1 hour ago, elijah said:

could be that Americans want isolation and NOT to lead? Or pay for other ppl defence? I wonder why too? Since the US economy seems to be doing great.

Another lie by Trump and the Republicans. When did the US pay for other countries defense or security? Of course, his base is ignoring facts as if they would catch a disease by accepting reality and truth. People should read the NATO treaties and look for the 2% part and what it exactly says, especially the timeline. People should look closer where the billions of dollar in Ukraine aid is actually going. It is rich of Donald Trump and the Republicans talking about the U.S. being the defender of Europe when it was the U.S. that has called for article to be imposed in 2001. 

Do I believe a change in defense and security strategies in Europe is needeed, to be more independent of the U.S.? Absolutely. Especially my country, most likely because of its horrible past, has put diplomacy before everything else and has been fooled over and over again. Diplomacy does not work when you have to deal with autocrats and dictators like Putin, Erdogan, Orban. Deterrence is the only language agressors like Putin understand. I am very much in favor of Germany building a nuclear arsenal. 

12 minutes ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

Another lie by Trump and the Republicans. When did the US pay for other countries defense or security? Of course, his base is ignoring facts as if they would catch a disease by accepting reality and truth. People should read the NATO treaties and look for the 2% part and what it exactly says, especially the timeline. People should look closer where the billions of dollar in Ukraine aid is actually going. It is rich of Donald Trump and the Republicans talking about the U.S. being the defender of Europe when it was the U.S. that has called for article to be imposed in 2001. 

Do I believe a change in defense and security strategies in Europe is needeed, to be more independent of the U.S.? Absolutely. Especially my country, most likely because of its horrible past, has put diplomacy before everything else and has been fooled over and over again. Diplomacy does not work when you have to deal with autocrats and dictators like Putin, Erdogan, Orban. Deterrence is the only language agressors like Putin understand. I am very much in favor of Germany building a nuclear arsenal. 

Of course it's non sense, there is no 2 percent in any threaty. However Dumb has make it his chewing phrase, I guess with cooperation from his RU brothers. GER and EU need much much bigger army, because if EST president is to be believed RU is expected to attack NATO within 5 year period!

By the way, don't trust any of those polls. They have been wrong ever since 2016. The preditced a win for Hillary Clinton. Well, she did win. The popular vote. But thanks to that archaic and racist electoral college, Trump became president. Since then, he and the Republicans bascially lost every election although polls predicted wins for them. At this point I do think, people intentionally lie when asked about elections.

But let's not forget, in the U.S. it only takes three or four swing states like Michigan to decide the election. A few ten thousand votes. That's it. I am shocked to read that there are people, young, liberal people that consider not voting for Biden because of the Israel / Hamas war and they think Biden does not do enough to prevent a genocide. Considering the looming threat of a president Trump and a cabinet full of the most disgusting human beings like Stephen Miller, the idea intelligent people being a one issue voter (that is not even a U.S. issue) is absolutely nuts. I wonder who they will blame once all kinds of rights and freedoms will be dismantled. Trump and his followers made it  very clear what they want for the U.S. to become. People should believe them. Remember when Trump joked that he can shoot someone dead on Fifth Avenue and his voters will still follow him? This has very much turned into a prophecy. 

3 hours ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

By the way, don't trust any of those polls. They have been wrong ever since 2016. The preditced a win for Hillary Clinton. Well, she did win. The popular vote. But thanks to that archaic and racist electoral college, Trump became president. Since then, he and the Republicans bascially lost every election although polls predicted wins for them.

This is so true. I don't think the polls should be disregarded completely but this far out + considering recent history, I don't think they should be taken too too seriously at this point. I can see why from the outside looking in, it seems like the whole country loves Trump but that's absolutely not true. I'd say the majority loathes him but he definitely has something Biden doesn't and that's a dedicated and passionate base that is with him ride or die. It's quite literally a cult in many ways. Trump won't lose those voters but on the other hand, he's not going to gain too many either. Biden absolutely does not have that loyalty in any way shape or form but in some ways, that's also his advantage because he is more likely to gain the "swing" voters and independent voters if he plays his cards right. My fear with this election is that people (especially young people) won't vote at all or a third party will take votes away from Biden leading to a Trump victory. Another consideration is even if Biden wins legitimately, the Republicans will refuse to certify the election. There are so many what if's with this election. Anyways, for those that haven't already seen it, check out the Republican response to Biden's State Of The Union.....just a warning though, have a barf bag handy.....

On 3/10/2024 at 12:51 PM, promise to try said:

For a lot of people The number 1 issue, is the economy. And it was doing better under Trump. It's shit under Biden. You see people tried 1 term of each, and most was better off during Trump's era, so they remember that and would rather have that. 

1 hour ago, GOD said:

For a lot of people The number 1 issue, is the economy. And it was doing better under Trump. It's shit under Biden. You see people tried 1 term of each, and most was better off during Trump's era, so they remember that and would rather have that. 

That is actually not true. Vox wrote a good article on that topic with charts: https://www.vox.com/politics/24094752/biden-trump-strong-economy-2024-inflation

The perception is that the economy is shit because of the residual inflation (which was due to the pandemic and subsequent supply chain disruptions more so than Trump or Biden policies). But the stock market, unemployment rate, wage growth, etc. is all doing better under Biden. I realize perception is key, and even if it is a false perception, it could cost Biden the 2024 election. I would still rather have him than Trump. Trump didn't really do anything except pass a tax cut for the wealthy and stack the Supreme Court (as well as the federal judiciary). The GOP doesn't even have a real policy platform anymore.