The vaccine is here πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ˜„πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

karbatal

3 hours ago, funkydita said:

I’m not quite sure that’s the case though, the vaccine is being offered worldwide on a not-for-profit basis and that was before the EU deal? Wasn’t it one of the conditions set by Oxford when looking for a partner that ended up being AstraZeneca? Again it’s all so confusing!

Oooh you are RIGHT! I recalled the news about the EU deal but I didn't read the news about the Oxford and AstraZeneca deal. Good for Oxford!!!! πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½

"At Professor Gilbert's insistence, AstraZeneca has committed that the vaccine will be made on a not-for-profit basis as long as COVID-19 is classified as a pandemic, and will remain so when sold to developing nations".

I think AstraZeneca is still not answering the most important question: where are large parts of the doses produced upfront?Β They got 350 million to produce their vaccine from the EU for EU citizens. They were meant to produce the vaccine upfront, never knowing if and when the vaccine will ever work and authorized. The financial risk was with the EU. It was a bet in the future to have a large amount of doses available once the vaccine gets authorized. But now that authorization was granted, AstraZeneca says they only have a limited amount available and the question is why. Did they take the money and never produced the number of doses or did they produce the amount but it is no longer there. Rumor has it, millions of doses were shipped from a production site in Germany to the UK. And AstraZeneca being so hush hush with this makes the whole situation even more suspicious.

1 hour ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

I think AstraZeneca is still not answering the most important question: where are large parts of the doses produced upfront?Β They got 350 million to produce their vaccine from the EU for EU citizens. They were meant to produce the vaccine upfront, never knowing if and when the vaccine will ever work and authorized. The financial risk was with the EU. It was a bet in the future to have a large amount of doses available once the vaccine gets authorized. But now that authorization was granted, AstraZeneca says they only have a limited amount available and the question is why. Did they take the money and never produced the number of doses or did they produce the amount but it is no longer there. Rumor has it, millions of doses were shipped from a production site in Germany to the UK. And AstraZeneca being so hush hush with this makes the whole situation even more suspicious.

It’s really unclear what’s going on andΒ I really wish I knew enoughΒ to have an informed opinion on the whole affair. Β I’m guessing we won’t begin to know unless the non-redacted contracts are laid bare on the table (including the UK’s as it certainly seems to have a bearing on the unfortunate situation)? Β I can’t see that happening any time soon.

I have way too many questions that I can’t find answers for e.g.Β I have no idea when the UK paid for their order from May nor under what contractual conditions. Β Similarly,Β I don’t know when the EU paid their millionsΒ and don’t have any knowledge of UK (let alone Belgian!) contract lawΒ to begin to understand the legal position around the clauses apparently in question etc.

I would hope the UK / AstraZeneca wouldn’t be arranging clandestine vaccine shipments in breach of contracts but certainly wouldn’t put anything past our flailing government at this point.

It’s all a bigΒ πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ

Β 

1 hour ago, Raider of the lost Ark said:

I hope we know soon what happens because all that rumourology only fuels confrontation. The UK rumour is only a rumour until someone officially says something.Β 

There's 200 million doses lost. If it's because the EU plants weren't working properly (it's seems this is a biological process and it may be the cause) then it's bad luck. And if it's true that a third country has bought the vaccines at a higher price, let it be in their consciences. This is going to mean further deaths in the EU.Β 

6 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I hope we know soon what happens because all that rumourology only fuels confrontation. The UK rumour is only a rumour until someone officially says something.Β 

There's 200 million doses lost. If it's because the EU plants weren't working properly (it's seems this is a biological process and it may be the cause) then it's bad luck. And if it's true that a third country has bought the vaccines at a higher price, let it be in their consciences. This is going to mean further deaths in the EU.Β 

Yes, the human consequences are potentially devastating. It’s crass to say right now butΒ the longer term political implications (if there has been underhand fuckery)Β is troubling, to say the least...

On a personal level, I’m glad we’re having this conversation, it’s made me dig a lot deeper into the story today.

A group of anti-vaxxers temporarily shut down one of the country’s largest COVID vaccination sites.

The maskless protesters gathered outside Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles and got so rowdy that officials had to close the entrance for almost an hour.

la-photos-1staff-705812-me-0130-vaccine-

9 hours ago, Junior said:

A group of anti-vaxxers temporarily shut down one of the country’s largest COVID vaccination sites.

The maskless protesters gathered outside Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles and got so rowdy that officials had to close the entrance for almost an hour.

la-photos-1staff-705812-me-0130-vaccine-

Why is it that there's absolutely disgraceful people like this everywhere?Β 

33 minutes ago, Musicinferno said:

Who wants the AstraZeneca vaccine anyway? πŸ˜†

Not tested for people over 55, and under 55 not really many people get sick.

I would rather not get a vaccine than the AstraZeneca oneΒ 

At 7:00 there is discussion with scientists who recommend AstraZeneca vaccine as it is more traditional.

5 minutes ago, elijah said:

At 7:00 there is discussion with scientists who recommend AstraZeneca vaccine as it is more traditional.

It is not tested for people over 55 years (in the smaller dose that was more effective), so some scientist might recommed it, but you do not know whether it works for older people.

Β 

The studies for the mRNA vaccines (Biontech and Moderna) have their limitations too:

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4037

Β 

On 1/31/2021 at 8:36 PM, karbatal said:

AstraZeneca is very important because it can be stored and shipped in a simple fridge. That is incredibly important for countries that can't invest in expensive infrastructures.

Ξ™n addition to that the first dose of the vaccine offers a high level of immunization so that the second dose can be delayed up to three months

6 minutes ago, realityisalways said:

There's a lot of talk here about 'immunization', but as far as I understand none of the vaccines provide immunization, they just reduce the symptoms but you still get the disease and transmit it. I even saw Fauci explain you still get it. Am I missing something?Β :britwtf:

I'm not sure we've taken here much about immunization. Truth is that if corona has the symptoms reduced it turns into a flu. And then we don't have to make lockdowns because people die.

58 minutes ago, Musicinferno said:

You know that what you quote here was a study which was not randomized.

No .it's post-hoc analyses of the main clinical trial trying to determine what;s the best interval between the two doses and their interpretation is thatΒ  may be the optimal for rollout of a pandemic vaccine when supplies are limited in the short term

38 minutes ago, sotos8 said:

No .it's post-hoc analyses of the main clinical trial trying to determine what;s the best interval between the two doses and their interpretation is thatΒ  may be the optimal for rollout of a pandemic vaccine when supplies are limited in the short term

You Β΄re right! I mixed it up with a different study!

https://nypost.com/2021/02/05/pandemic-could-continue-for-seven-years-under-current-vaccination-rate/

The pandemic could continue for seven years under current vaccination rate

ByΒ Gabrielle Fonrouge

February 5, 2021Β |Β 6:57pmΒ |Β UpdatedΒ 

It’ll be a long, seven years before the COVID-19 pandemic is over worldwide, ifΒ vaccine distribution continuesΒ at its current rate, aΒ calculation from Bloomberg shows.Β 

The media outlet, which said it built the β€œbiggest database” of COVID-19 inoculations given across the globe, crunched the numbers and found it could take most of a decade toΒ reach herd immunityΒ if distribution doesn’t ramp up for two-dose vaccines.Β 

Dr. Anthony Fauci has said 70-85 percent of the population will need the vaccine in order to achieve herd immunity and while theΒ US is on track to reach that goalΒ by the New Year in 2022, it could take countries like Canada ten years at their current pace.Β 

More than 119 million doses have been doled out worldwide but Bloomberg’s tracker shows some countries, mostly rich, Western locales, are reaching 75% coverage much faster than others.Β 

For example, Israel is on track to see 75% coverage by the spring but it could take Portugal four years, China seven years and Latvia almost nine years to reach herd immunity if vaccine distributions don’t change.Β 

The calculations are, of course, β€œvolatile,” Bloomberg explained, especially with rollout that’s just a few months old and still marred with supply disruptions.Β 

Canada’s vaccination rate was cut in half recently after the country faced delays in shipments but as long as their contracts to buy more doses per person than any other country moves forward, they won’t be stuck in pandemic hell for a decade.Β 

The outlet noted the pace is expected to accelerate worldwide as more and more jabs become available β€” they pointed to major vaccine-manufacturing hubs in India and Mexico and said production is just getting started and only a third of countries have started vaccine campaigns.Β 

Bloomberg’s calculator is based on two doses for full vaccination and will be tweaked once the vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson, which only requires one dose, is made available. While the inoculations haven’t been approved for children, Bloomberg included kids in their calculation because they too can be infected, and transmit, the virus.Β 

The calculator does not account for any level of natural immunity experienced by those who’ve previously had the virus β€” the CDC has said some immunity is offered after an infection but they’re not clear on how long it lasts.Β 

A study by Mount SinaiΒ published last weekin the preprint server MedRxiv found reinfection is β€œcommon” among young people, especially those who had very mild cases or no symptoms at all when they had the bug. The researchers involved urged governments to include young, previously infected people in vaccine distribution.

Another study published this week suggested those who’ve had the virusΒ may only need one doseΒ of the vaccine.

WTF is happening with AstraZeneca and the South African strain?Β 

Really bad news if it's true that it doesn't work properly with this variant. I hope more research is done and it's confirmed it works!Β 

This virus is a nightmare

On 2/4/2021 at 12:51 PM, realityisalways said:

There's a lot of talk here about 'immunization', but as far as I understand none of the vaccines provide immunization, they just reduce the symptoms but you still get the disease and transmit it. I even saw Fauci explain you still get it. Am I missing something?Β :britwtf:

From what I remember, with the second dose, some people might get 100% immunity but not everyone.Β  They're also saying that it does appear to reduce transmission rates but it's still really unknown especially as the new variants coming through mean that the vaccines don't seemΒ to be working so well such as onΒ the South Africa strain.Β 

Β 

• 4 weeks later...

The EU will block every shipment to developed countries from EU factories while AstraZeneca is not delivering the dosis PAID in June 2020 by the EU.Β 

It's clear that AstraZeneca tries to sell the EU dosis to countries paying a higher price. The pharma is taking advantage of a grey area in the contract.Β 

The only vaccines from AstraZeneca produced in the EU that go to other countries will be the ones included in the Covax program for developing countries.Β 

Yesterday the intentional disinformation in Twitter by UK press was nauseating. Especially when exports to other countries is BANNED in the UK-Astrazeneca contract.Β 

AstraZeneca is THE WORST.Β 

Had my first Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine last weekend with zero side-effects or symptoms despite the scaremongering I've read. Medical experts at Kings College London report that only those who have already contracted Coronavirus whether asymptomatic or symptomatic will experience side-effects upon taking the Oxford vaccine.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-vaccine-side-effects-covid-19840260

On 3/5/2021 at 1:27 PM, Elysium said:

Had my first Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine last weekend with zero side-effects or symptoms despite the scaremongering I've read. Medical experts at Kings College London report that only those who have already contracted Coronavirus whether asymptomatic or symptomatic will experience side-effects upon taking the Oxford vaccine.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/coronavirus-vaccine-side-effects-covid-19840260

How would they know? Do they test everyone who gets the vaccine πŸ˜‚?

5 hours ago, Musicinferno said:

How would they know? Do they test everyone who gets the vaccine πŸ˜‚?

You could contact them and ask them to find out perhaps.😜