COVID-19 aka Coronavirus

Sarah Palin encourages mask wearing after revealing COVID-19 diagnosis

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin (R) says that she previously tested positive for coronavirus and is encouraging Americans to mask up in order to slow its spread.

Palin, 57, confirmed her COVID-19 diagnosis in an interview with People magazine published Wednesday, stating that she and some of her family members, including her son and daughter, tested positive.

"As confident as I'd like to be about my own health, and despite my joking that I'm blessed to constantly breathe in the most sterile air, my case is perhaps one of those that proves anyone can catch this," the former vice presidential nominee told the outlet.

"[O]ne of my daughters awoke to having lost her sense of taste and smell [and] immediately had a positive COVID test, then was quarantined in isolation," she told People. "I then observed symptoms in my son Trig, who curiously is the most enthusiastic mask-wearer, and after our numerous negative tests over the year, he tested positive."

After preliminarily testing negative, Palin described later developing COVID-19 symptoms "overnight," and suffering a fever, muscle soreness and loss of taste and smell.

It was "unmistakable," she said, that "COVID caught me."

"That day I finally tested positive — like millions of other Americans," she said.

Palin encouraged Americans to wear a mask, calling it "better than doing nothing."

"Through it all, I view wearing that cumbersome mask indoors in a crowd as not only allowing the newfound luxury of being incognito, but trust it's better than doing nothing to slow the spread," Palin said.

"And history will show we 'Masked Singer' visitors were masked before being masked was cool," she added, pointing to her run on the show, where she rapped Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back."

More than 30 million COVID-19 cases have been reported in the U.S. since the start of the pandemic, and more than 550,000 people have died.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/545822-sarah-palin-encourages-mask-wearing-after-revealing

• 4 weeks later...

News in Thailand is that wealthy Indians have chartered planes to escape from India to other countries . Most of them are headed to Dubai , UAE as well as Thailand and we are on our Third wave with little vaccines . 

Our daily infected cases have gone up from single digit to thousands in a matter of weeks .Government had mismanaged the vaccine's roll outs as they thought that the daly infection rate was under control so they opened all the clubs , bars and entertainment venues as well as letting people travel all over the country to celebrate Thai New Year .and forgot to vaccinated the population. 

Nightmare .

Terrible. Heartbreaking. And there's no better reason than unearned good fortune it's not just as hopeless for most of us, as screwy as things may still be. And to think we still have assholes in our highly developed countries complaining about what they believe to be overzealous governance; try navigating this in a country with infrastructure - be it social or economic or public healthcare-associated, or what-have-you - so woefully inadequate for offering any substantive protection at all, to the point where staying safe is scarcely an OPTION, if this is something you'll DARE downplay. Then sulk and sputter about an "impingement" on your "freedoms."

Hope everyone's coping, wherever you all are.

This was heartbreaking to watch on CNN earlier. 😢

Published on May 3, 2021

See inside hospital in India ravaged by Covid-19

CNN visited a government run hospital in Uttar Pradesh, India, and found scenes of profound suffering as the nation grapples with the coronavirus crisis.

15 hours ago, Junior said:

This was heartbreaking to watch on CNN earlier. 😢

Published on May 3, 2021

See inside hospital in India ravaged by Covid-19

CNN visited a government run hospital in Uttar Pradesh, India, and found scenes of profound suffering as the nation grapples with the coronavirus crisis.

Harrowing. 😞

Thing will be opening up rather shortly in ny. We'll see how it goes as far as transmission for the non vaccinated. Hope it won't be too bad for folks

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2021 at 1:42 PM, promise to try said:

but why is that disaster haooenung in India? is the virus different there?

Published on May 19, 2021

How India’s Covid Crisis Got Out of Control | WSJ

India's Covid-19 crisis has resulted in record numbers of cases and deaths. WSJ breaks down the chain of events that led to the fastest-growing wave of infection since the pandemic started, and what it means for the world. Photo: Samuel Rajkumar/Reuters

Deadly 'black fungus' surges among India's COVID-19 patients

Special hospital wards will be set up in India's capital New Delhi to fight 'black fungus', authorities said Thursday as the life-threatening infection surged among coronavirus patients.

A rare disease in normal times, authorities say thousands have developed Mucormycosis -- or black fungus -- across India as it battles a COVID-19 wave that has killed more than 100,000 people in the past month.

Some doctors say the high use of steroids to combat the coronavirus has caused the black fungus explosion.

The disease kills more than 50 per cent of sufferers within days. In some cases, eyes and upper jaws are removed by surgeons to stop the spread of the infection.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/deadly-black-fungus-surges-among-india-s-covid-19-patients-1.5436229

Secret data drops in the UK on a Saturday night ALWAYS indicate something bad...

ONE titbit is how much more effect Pfizer is against the 'Indian' variant than AstraZeneca (Pfizer here! 🙏)

On 5/22/2021 at 8:24 PM, Kim said:

Secret data drops in the UK on a Saturday night ALWAYS indicate something bad...

ONE titbit is how much more effect Pfizer is against the 'Indian' variant than AstraZeneca (Pfizer here! 🙏)

Another article that compares apples and oranges. The study on the efficiency of the vaccine on the Indian variant is done on 2 doses received with Pfizer while the one on Astrazeneca is on one dose received. These results cannot be compared.

49 minutes ago, Martin B. said:

The study on the efficiency of the vaccine on the Indian variant is done on 2 doses received with Pfizer while the one on Astrazeneca is on one dose received. These results cannot be compared.

The actual PHE study was with 2 doses of each vaccine, but they did give one proviso - that the AZ may take longer to reach maximum effectiveness.

I see some experts are alerting on a third wave in the UK. Is it because of people with one one dose? UK achieved herd immunity weeks ago, I think. the

I thought once people are vaccinated there wouldn't be another wave!

6 minutes ago, karbatal said:

I see some experts are alerting on a third wave in the UK. Is it because of people with one one dose? UK achieved herd immunity weeks ago, I think. the

I thought once people are vaccinated there wouldn't be another wave!

Last I heard about two thirds of adults had one dose and 35% or so have been fully vaccinated. With lifting of all restrictions mid June, it leaves a very precarious situation. I think they'll end up revising that date.

“The Indian variant - known as B.1.617.2 - is thought to spread more quickly than the Kent variant, which was responsible for the surge in cases in the UK over the winter.

In some areas of England - including in Bolton, Blackburn, and Sefton in north-west England and Bedford, Chelmsford and Canterbury in the South East - the Indian variant is causing the majority of infections.

Dr Helen Wall, senior responsible officer for the vaccine programme in Bolton, said the rise in cases in the town was slowing but many of the areas with the highest increases had very young populations, and getting more of those vaccinated would help tackle the rise.”

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57304515