Discuss Madonna's promotional strategy (or lack of) here.

^ not trying to be annoying, but I thought ALL FANS WERE ON THE SAME PAGE with regards to promo.

All I'm saying is that I love Madonna and I want her to do good in all areas, especially commercial AND critical success.

I know the album will be great, because she's never let me down before.

And I know the tour will be great too.

Get help.

Well some of you better start caring because without sales and chart success, there's no record deal, and without a record deal there's no money for new music (you know she ain't paying out of pocket). And then she'll become a glorified nostalgia act. A.K.A. Cher.

You really are a stupid fuck.

1) Madonna is profitable to record labels as a recording artist.

2) Her deal with live nation isn't the type of deal that existed twenty years ago. Move on! We live in the future now.

3) Cher has a record deal thus negating your ridiculous point.

4) We are talking about Madonna here. More successful than most of her contemporaries and when considering her career as a whole it's mind blowing. Small fry like you don't need to give opinions on matters that don't concern them. Bye.

Well some of you better start caring because without sales and chart success, there's no record deal, and without a record deal there's no money for new music (you know she ain't paying out of pocket). And then she'll become a glorified nostalgia act. A.K.A. Cher.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

The mere thought that MADONNA could be a second without a record deal.

Guest Rachelle of London

The biggest selling female artist of all time and the fourth most successful artist ever will lose her record deal if she doesn't do Ellen :lmao:

Madonna is in danger of being DROPPED. :(

I know it!!

But I don't stop to tweet Guy O. to tell him what to do but he doesn't listen to me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The biggest selling female artist of all time and the fourth most successful artist ever will lose her record deal if she doesn't do Ellen :lmao:

:lmao::rotfl: too much!! Too funny :lmao:

:lmao: :lmao:

People say that I have an ego but these jokers saying these dumb things must either be iq zero or plain ego whores!

Guest Rachelle of London

We should write to Interscope and get them to reconsider dropping her. We could do a petition :lmao:

The best album promo is a lead single that connects with the public. The reception of that first single sort of sets the tone for the era and it builds from there. As time goes on, that's going to be harder and harder for her for a number of reasons, quality being low on the list. She could release LAP today and it wouldn't have the massive impact it had in 1989. We are just talking the LEAD single here much less any subsequent singles which she is going to really struggle with. It seems like a lot of the "old school" fans think that if she JUST did what she used to......killer video, lead single, lots of traditional promo then she's going to be guaranteed to have a successful era. It's just not that simple anymore. It's a different time, she's in a different place in her career. The ingredients for massive success in 1998 are not all the same ingredients for success in 2014.

Wow, talk about taking a point totally out of context and then acting like crazy little monsters. "Fuck off"? "You're a stupid fuck"? You guys really need to grow up.

I was responding to Shan's statement that "I don't care if the album even breaks the top 100." That's obviously never going to happen and thus Madonna is not (and never will be) in danger of losing a record deal, but I was pointing out the absurdity of such a statement. If Madonna's next album debuts at #101, you don't think shit is going to hit the fan? If you care about Madonna putting out new music, you sure as hell better care if she charts in the Top 100.

Exactly. And her deal with Live Nation is based mostly around touring, it's a 360 deal. It's not a standard record deal. The music business is all about touring not recording now. Yes, it's still necessary to record because it's boring to go see an artist sing the same songs tour after tour. So you need new songs just to keep tours interesting and fresh, but you don't need to make money from selling the actual music through chart positions etc.

I wasn't talking about her deal with LN. I was talking about Interscope. And any other traditional record label.

vocalism: so how come U2 etc still got a record deal then? they sell probably less than half of the albums M sells. you make NO sense whatsoever.

U2's last album debuted at #1 in more than 30 countries and went platinum in the U.S.

That's the silliest thing I ever heard.

Record companies barely produce any money anymore anyway off selling records. All the cash is in touring and branding.

In 2013 the #2 selling record GLOBALLY was JT's the 20/20 Experience selling 3.8 million. If this were years ago, he probably would have sold double that in America alone. Is it really a big deal that Madonna comes along with MDNA and sells "only" 1.9 million? Do we really want her whoring herself out to every show out there (which probably costs more money than actually producing her album when it comes to travel, and putting together performances for these shows) just so she MIGHT tally a few more thousand in sales onto her total? Wow! *alternate universe* Madonna promoted her ass off for MDNA and instead of selling 1.9 million, she sold 2.2 million. BIG WHOOP!

Look how many millions Interscope lost on promoting the hell out of Artpop. Promotion is not always a given.

Madonna by and large just needs a kickass lead single and a great video to go with it that will go viral, and great word of mouth on the album itself. Appearing on Letterman, Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, The View, The Talk, Rachel Ray, The Daily Show, Queen of Queefa, Wendy Williams....and on and on and on really isn't going to do that much.

Interscope isn't making a penny off Madonna's touring. Unless the touring boosts albums sales.

I predict that she'll do some traditional promo around the release of the first single and then the album release.

I agree that I don't want her whoring herself out to every second rate talk show and awards show, save thar shit for Mariah and Gaga, I think if Madonna did that it would ruin her "brand".

Aside from the album cover shoot, she'll probably do at least 2 other shoots fo magazines and she'll probably have a new commercial endorsement that will feature the first single.

Like Motorola for Hung Up and Sunsilk for 4 Minutes

Wow, talk about taking a point totally out of context and then acting like crazy little monsters. "Fuck off"? "You're a stupid fuck"? You guys really need to grow up.

I was responding to Shan's statement that "I don't care if the album even breaks the top 100." That's obviously never going to happen and thus Madonna is not (and never will be) in danger of losing a record deal, but I was pointing out the absurdity of such a statement. If Madonna's next album debuts at #101, you don't think shit is going to hit the fan? If you care about Madonna putting out new music, you sure as hell better care if she charts in the Top 100.

I wasn't talking about her deal with LN. I was talking about Interscope. And any other traditional record label.

U2's last album debuted at #1 in more than 30 countries and went platinum in the U.S.

Interscope isn't making a penny off Madonna's touring. Unless the touring boosts albums sales.

The irony...

It's not necessary for Madonna to do a ton of TV appearances but at the very least,she should do at least two high-profile appearances on the week of release.Maybe an appearance on 'Ellen' and 'Jimmy Fallon'.She could perform the first single and do a sit-down chat/interview.

I have never attacked anyone on this board, called them names, or cursed them out simply because I disagreed with them.

Niether have I, but it still happens to me. It happens to everyone on this forum; people get very passionate when they feel that Madonna is being questioned/ disrespected, so you just gotta roll with the punches & have a slew of GIFS ready.

Guest Xanthium

When MDNA came out, it did bother me that she didn't do promo because I love all her interviews and performances and the era felt empty without them. But I understand why she eschewed the traditional route and went straight to the tour. That's where the money is. This time around I'll understand if she does the same thing. I would like some interviews and performances and magazine covers but I'm not gonna die if she says fuck it. What's more important is a killer album, wisely chosen singles, strong music videos, great word of mouth and a strong internet campaign. In this day and age, going on talk shows and performing on American Idol does not have the power that it used to. If you want to connect with people, do it online. All I want for sure is a bad ass album with great videos and smart singles. Plus a tour that puts gays into a coma, of course ;)

Madonna would never be dropped from a label because she is MADONNA. No one of her status would be dropped from any label, and lets not get into the multi million dollar binding contract she has.

Madonna's music is more important than any silly number, or some stupid chart position. Do you think people will think back and go "Yeah Madonna was such a legend because 4 Minutes went #1 in so many countries." Ha. No. She'll be remembered for her music, videos, and performances. Essentially - her art.

And of course her album will be in the top 100, there's really no doubt about that. I was just sayin it doesn't affect me either way if the album sells well or not. I love the music for the music, not for how successful it is. Same goes for Madonna herself.

So no, what I said was not ridiculous or silly. It was the truth. Madonna will remain the same Madonna WITH a record deal regardless of some meaningless promo or chart position xo.

Edited by Shan

Guest Xanthium

How could she even be dropped from a label anyway? Isn't the Live Nation deal based on touring which she fucking RULES at anyway. She's the female MVP of tours. And doesn't she only have distribution deals with regular music companies? What are they gonna do, refuse to distribute her records? BITCH PLEASE.

We're talking about it because some people have taken what I said out of context and won't let it go. And it didn't come out of nowhere. As I said earlier, Shan claimed he doesn't care if Madonna is in the Top 100 and I was explaining why we should care. Even Madonna herself has explained why it's important. I wasn't suggesting that she is actually in any way, shape or form in danger of being dropped by anyone. She continues to top the charts around the world. Let's move on!

She has done the traditional promo when she focused in a certain project, like W.E.

I guess part of the NTP was because she had just promote a product a couple of months before, and she tried another route. The Superbowl was incredibly great and if that NTP promo didn't pay off was in part because GMAYL was shit.

I expect NTP again next time. It doesn't have to be that bad. Imagine that Madonna makes 7 different videos for a song, like Kylie did? It would be great, because while Kylie is always kind of void of art, Madonna is full of art, and 7 videos would mean loads of different visions or recreations.

That's just an example of how NTP can be much better than going to Ellen, for example.

But it's a good idea too to do something that reminds the main public why Madonna is the best. The Superbowl was incredible, and in a minor way, a bombastic performance in the Grammys or even in the EMA remind younger generations who's the boss.

She has done the traditional promo when she focused in a certain project, like W.E.

I guess part of the NTP was because she had just promote a product a couple of months before, and she tried another route. The Superbowl was incredibly great and if that NTP promo didn't pay off was in part because GMAYL was shit.

This is what I thought from the very start. She'd JUST DONE the whole gammut of traditional promo for the movie. I think they thought it made no sense to re-do it all again. She should have agreed to talk about the upcoming album as well as the film though, and at least tried to combine the two. I'm sure next time around will be completely different. She won't go overboard with it, but there will be promo.

Yeah, I was just thinking about the G. Norton interview where she shouted "NO!" when he asked if they could discuss her music...but yeah she did reveal the album title.

If the music is good she won't need to do a lot of promotion it will sell on its own.

She needs to come up with something along the lines of Frozen or Hung Up.

Great melodies, good production something with mass appeal.

If she concentrates on that she will be fine.

Madonna just posted a photo on her Facebook page where she's currently doing a shoot for L'oumo Vogue

Magazine covers and traditional promo on it's way!

Madonna just posted a photo on her Facebook page where she's currently doing a shoot for L'oumo Vogue

Magazine covers and traditional promo on it's way!

I'm so excited!