Discuss Madonna's promotional strategy (or lack of) here.

I'm not having a meltdown, I just thought that it was common knowledge, like water is wet common knowledge, among her fans that Madonna has to so some promo for this album.

Album sales may be in the shitter, but with a Christmas release and the right singles Madonna could easily outsell MDNA and sell around 3 million ww this time around.

And Frozen, Music, HU and 4 M were ALL promoted with various performances on talk shows and programs all over the world

Once again it will be an uphill battle for radio to play her new songs.with ageism, shouldn't that make her do MORE promo especially for the lead single to make sure it's a hit?

I would hate if Madonna put out an amazing first single and not only does she decide not to promote it, but she decides not even to film a video for it and then the song comes and goes and flops on the charts and it leads to the album flop.

I didn't know so many fans on here were gonna defend "no promo Madonna", after all videos are a form of promo, and why stop with no new music videos?

Madonna won't do a new album cover shoot, so. The album cover is just her name against a white backdrop

What viking theme? There isn't gonna be a theme for the new album, because that would require promotion

Do you guys really want that?

Sorry Suedehead, and I agree that The X Factor is cheesy as fuck, but Madonna NEEDS to do those kind of shows this time around to remind people why she is the Queen of Pop.

Cher did one of those shows last year and there was a news report on it on TV in the breakroom and the same people who bash Madonna were praising Cher.

Madonna needs that good publicity.

She is the Queen of Pop, in part because of her massive commercial success, I love how some fans like to think of her as some avant-garde indie artist (ha ha!), part of that means your not only expected to deliver good quality music but you also have to have MASS APPEAL.

And again on every other fan board I've been on everyone is in agreement with the promo thing, except on here.

She needs to spend two weeks doing U.S. radio interviews. In-studio appearances in the big cities and phone for smaller ones. Everyone seems to think 4M was a smash out of the box because it was Madonna and JT, but Madonna worked it. I can't remember the last time she did that much radio promo. And it worked. But she has to be willing to do it.

^ True!

And Madonna only has to spend about 2 days doing promo TV interviews and just a few taped TV performances of her new single to air all over the world.

I also would mind an indeph, behind the scenes "Making the Album" TV special where she talks about her artistry and influences on the album and explains her "creative process".

At least 3 music videos, at least 3 major US mag cover and photo shoots with the new "theme", and maybe 1 or 2 major covers in the UK mags.

At least 1 high profile award show performance, especially to launch the lead single.

I'm not asking for her to whore herself out and kill herself with promo, but some promo here and there before the tour.

it's so cool that she is doing just a few shows, a few interviews.. makes her seem more exclusive. people still think it's rare and magical to see her on tv shows or interviews. there's a reason. she knows what she's doing. over exposure (by doing many interviews with the most random people) is never a good thing for a big artist, imo. just five or so big tv shows and performances might be enough. how many interviews does beyonce do? not many either. it's a bit more mysterious and special that way. but again that's just my opinion.

Seriously get it through ur thick fucking skulls,

she's not 36 anymore, MTV doesn't exist anymore and people don't buy records anymore.

She doesn't need 2do anything.

Sorry fans of promotion.

THE END.

:fag:

Actually acko, with Interscope signing a contract guaranteeing to release the next 3 M albums, the first being MDNA, I believe that Madonna is required to do some promo

Even MDNA era had some (very little) traditional promo.

And the fans who claim to be fine if Madonna doesn't do any promo crack me up, because music videos are a form of promo as is the album cover shoot

If your also happy with no new videos or even a new album cover shoot than so be it but it's a bad move for an extremely visual artist like Madonna

I would hate if Madonna put out an amazing first single and not only does she decide not to promote it, but she decides not even to film a video for it and then the song comes and goes and flops on the charts and it leads to the album flop.

She's ALWAYS done a video for at least the first single. I wouldn't be worried about that.

Sorry Suedehead, and I agree that The X Factor is cheesy as fuck, but Madonna NEEDS to do those kind of shows this time around to remind people why she is the Queen of Pop.

No. Just NO.

I just want some high quality magazine editorials, and maybe a few performances.

However, I would just die if Vogue Paris let her be their guest editor for their december issue.

Remember this?

01_carine_roitfeld_vogue_paris_august_20

Imagine a whole issue guest edited by The Queen of The Universe.

^ I have it! I miss those big magazine cover shoots, every other female artist does them anymore except Madonna.

Wasn't Madonna the Queen of the Magazine Covers?

Because she was on so many of them?

^ I have it! I miss those big magazine cover shoots, every other female artist does them anymore except Madonna.

I missed that issue when it came out, but I got a copy from eBay a few years ago. I will keep it forever!

Madonna has some of the best editorials out there, but we don't get them that often nowadays.

That Interview cover + editorial she did in 2010 were amazing though!

OMG just saw so much crap

THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE NEW ALBUM.

God dammit make a separate thread for this shit please.

she's not 36 anymore, MTV doesn't exist anymore and people don't buy records anymore.

Sorry fans of promotion.

THE END.

:clap:

I'm not having a meltdown, I just thought that it was common knowledge, like water is wet common knowledge, among her fans that Madonna has to so some promo for this album.

Album sales may be in the shitter, but with a Christmas release and the right singles Madonna could easily outsell MDNA and sell around 3 million ww this time around.

And Frozen, Music, HU and 4 M were ALL promoted with various performances on talk shows and programs all over the world

Once again it will be an uphill battle for radio to play her new songs.with ageism, shouldn't that make her do MORE promo especially for the lead single to make sure it's a hit?

I didn't know so many fans on here were gonna defend "no promo Madonna", after all videos are a form of promo, and why stop with no new music videos?

Madonna won't do a new album cover shoot, so. The album cover is just her name against a white backdrop

What viking theme? There isn't gonna be a theme for the new album, because that would require promotion

Do you guys really want that?

When was the last time you had a number one album?

tumblr_ml21srIBL11r317bvo1_400.gif

Sorry fans of promotion.

THE END.

Exactly. :sassy:

Actually acko, with Interscope signing a contract guaranteeing to release the next 3 M albums, the first being MDNA, I believe that Madonna is required to do some promo

Even MDNA era had some (very little) traditional promo.

And the fans who claim to be fine if Madonna doesn't do any promo crack me up, because music videos are a form of promo as is the album cover shoot

If your also happy with no new videos or even a new album cover shoot than so be it but it's a bad move for an extremely visual artist like Madonna

Are you purposefully being irrational? Album covers and videos aren't the same as doing rounds of TV interviews. Album covers and videos are a part of the presentation of the whole product as is the stage show. TV, radio and magazine interviews are not. She could easily forego those things and still have a cohesive theme for the era. Madonna is required to do promo, which is why she's a Live Nation artist. Touring for 7 months around the world and performing the majority of your new album each night is promo. Clearly she signed with Live Nation to focus on the live performance aspect of her career. The Interscope deal is minor by comparison and basically it's only because she HAS to sign with someone to get her albums distributed. Interscope is most certainly NOT where her bread is buttered these days and if she wanted to be then she wouldn't be signed with LN.

Get a life and stop living vicariously through the past achievements of creamy smooth pop icon goddess Madonna. Madonna is and always will be Queen of the universe. You can spend your life worrying about the impression she's giving you and other lessors...but at the end of the day you'll always be a peasant. Pfft.

And Music (song) topped the charts less than a month after Rocco was born, she was most certainly not doing rounds of promo at that point. 4M was also an out of the box smash, I don't recall any promo for that either. In fact, I don't ever remember a time when Madonna was flopping and then had a heavy round of promo save the day. Frozen, Music, Hung Up were all well on their way (or already were) major hits by the time the heavy rounds of promo started. She promoted the hell out of AL and all the singles flopped and the album was her lowest selling at that point.

it's so cool that she is doing just a few shows, a few interviews.. makes her seem more exclusive. people still think it's rare and magical to see her on tv shows or interviews. there's a reason. she knows what she's doing. over exposure (by doing many interviews with the most random people) is never a good thing for a big artist, imo. just five or so big tv shows and performances might be enough. how many interviews does beyonce do? not many either. it's a bit more mysterious and special that way. but again that's just my opinion.

Totally agree with this. I think she should do more than with MDNA but don't go overboard with it. It does make it special if interviews are a little more rare, but you lose interest as a fan if there are no interviews, magazine covers at all. So a happy medium. And she should be selective. Don't chose any random show or website. Choose ones that are special with cachet to speak that have a wide audience or a big impact.

Wow I'm surprised that I'm being attacked by fellow fans here, some of the name calling I would never do to fellow posters and fans.

Anyway

Kurt- Music was coming on the heels of ROL and radio wad still ready for new Madonna music, even American Pie did well at US radio, but despite giving birth to Rocco and according to the tabloids nearly dying as a result of it, Madonna still found time to give a shit load of print interviews and call in interviews the day the video premiered to MTV and VH1.

2 months later when she did the Music promo tour she was performing the song EVERYWHERE from MTV EUROPE AWARDS to Brixton to Top of the Pops to the Grammys

As for the American Life singles they may have flopped in the US, but they were big hits worldwide, the AL single spent weeks at #1 on the world singles charts and Hollywood went top 5.

Again Madonna promoted them with TV performances all over the world.

And music videos are absolutely a form of promotion, they're actually referred to in the industry as PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS.

Hey why so many people are complaining about the lack of promo on discussions about the new album ? the album is till in the making and we have no clue what the promo will be like ! It's not because she didn't really promoted HC & MDNA that this time it won't be different ! It seems to me that a lot of things will be different for this album, so be positive ! I get all good vibes from this new project, i think it's gonna be one of her best albums ever and a worldwide huge success a la Ray Of Light, mark my words ;-) Get ready for one of the greatest M era ever !

Guest Rachelle of London

Wow I'm surprised that I'm being attacked by fellow fans here, some of the name calling I would never do to fellow posters and fans.

Anyway

Kurt- Music was coming on the heels of ROL and radio wad still ready for new Madonna music, even American Pie did well at US radio, but despite giving birth to Rocco and according to the tabloids nearly dying as a result of it, Madonna still found time to give a shit load of print interviews and call in interviews the day the video premiered to MTV and VH1.

2 months later when she did the Music promo tour she was performing the song EVERYWHERE from MTV EUROPE AWARDS to Brixton to Top of the Pops to the Grammys

As for the American Life singles they may have flopped in the US, but they were big hits worldwide, the AL single spent weeks at #1 on the world singles charts and Hollywood went top 5.

Again Madonna promoted them with TV performances all over the world.

And music videos are absolutely a form of promotion, they're actually referred to in the industry as PROMOTIONAL VIDEOS.

14 years ago!!!!!

Hey why so many people are complaining about the lack of promo on discussions about the new album ? the album is till in the making and we have no clue what the promo will be like ! It's not because she didn't really promoted HC & MDNA that this time it won't be different ! It seems to me that a lot of things will be different for this album, so be positive ! I get all good vibes from this new project, i think it's gonna be one of her best albums ever and a worldwide huge success a la Ray Of Light, mark my words ;-) Get ready for one of the greatest M era ever !

Agreed! HC happened at a weird time in her life when she was going through divorce and MDNA you had the movie which took up her time. I think the lack of promo had more to do with those things rather than a strategy that she was somehow against promo per se. Without those complications it will be different these times. I enjoyed HC and MDNA myself, but they did seem to be a lot of negativity around them from fans or the media. I want a great wonderful positive era all around. Let's hope for good vibes.

Agreed! HC happened at a weird time in her life when she was going through divorce and MDNA you had the movie which took up her time. I think the lack of promo had more to do with those things rather than a strategy that she was somehow against promo per se. Without those complications it will be different these times. I enjoyed HC and MDNA myself, but they did seem to be a lot of negativity around them from fans or the media. I want a great wonderful positive era all around. Let's hope for good vibes.

I totally agree about the side things going on with HC & MDNA. I mean they were no details, a divorce for a woman when you've been married for almost 10 years and had children with a man is not easy, even for Madonna who is a human being with a heart like everyone, and a movie to direct is not an easy thing either, it's a huge project on which you have to invest yourself a lot and for long, so yes it's only logical she couldn't promote these two albums like she usually do, and as you say not necessarily because she didn't want to. This time it's very different, we're back to the times when the only big project is the album, and call me crazy but i can already feel through her Instagram posts that her body & soul are 100% invested in this new project. HC & MDNA are two albums that divided a lot her fanbase, or for the music itself or for the (non)promo but i feel this new one will be the one that will bring everybody together again, i can feel it deep inside of me ;-)

Because Madonna is a smart business woman, she ain't gonna be doing tons of promo. What's the point of spending time trying to shift copies of an album? It ain't gonna make any money! Let's say she makes $10 million from album sales (which is being EXTREMELY generous I'm sure). How is that gonna compare to the $120 million she can personally make (not including the other $200 million for Live Nation) from touring? It's simple business!

I'm sure she'll do a few tv interviews and magazine covers like she did for W.E., and she'll probably do twitter/Facebook/reddit chats again. The tour/album bundle will return as an easy way to sell the album. Simple and basic.

What I can see returning for this album is a promo tour that will be streamed on the internet or broadcasted on tv, since we won't get another Superbowl to sell tour tix again. I can also see her using BitTorrent to release a single or music video or something like that.

It's just gonna be a little bit here and there but in no way can I imagine a COADF campaign at this point because there wouldn't be a point. She knows that and the sooner some fans realize it, the sooner they can get over it.

i don't see how interviews can make an album sell better anyway. it's the music and the videos, the performances (the work) that do that.. an interview on letterman to say she's "back again" is fine of course, but doing a dozen of interviews like some suggest is a bit ridiculous.. (and useless, imo)

No offense if I am wrong, but is Melrose a passive aggressive troll?

Between feeling the need to post every negative thing said about Madonna by a bunch of nobodies on some random message boards, to saying that Madonna's career will be over if she doesn't promote her album this time around *rolls eyes*. Something just seems off.

I by all means want Madonna to go on a promotional tour but it has nothing to do with sales. I just want more Madonna anyway I can get her. I would love for her to do some great interviews and some great TV performances before she rushes off to do the tour.

Just because you promote the hell out of something doesn't mean its going to still sell though. (Ask Gaga about that one)

Just give me a great album and another great tour. The rest is icing on the cake.