Discuss Madonna's promotional strategy (or lack of) here.

Don't you think that the rise of social media has a lot to do with album sales being front loaded in the first week? Because now if you like an artist, it's very easy to immediately find out if they have a new album and you can go and buy it the moment it comes out. But in the past, it took people longer to find out about a new album, because you were dependent on mainstream media articles, radio, MTV etc to tell you so and so had a new single or album out. I think it's inevitable her new album will sell a lot in the first week and then fall off quite quickly. So I want it to debut at #1!

And I think the reason American Life and MDNA were considered flops even though debuting at #1 was more because the first single was not a big radio or chart hit, not so much because of the number of albums they actually sold. So I want her to debut at #1 and have a decent sized single hit on radio or the charts.

Te,hnically,Madonna has yet to have a TRUE Mariah Christina Britney sized flop album

Her lowesr,selling album still sold a respectable 2 million

theres an interesting new (Madonna friendly) article on Huffington Post about the dismal first week sales of the 'divas', particularly Mariah and Jlo....

I cant figure out how to post a link...

• 3 weeks later...

Promotion wise, I suspect she'll continue to use social media to her advantage.

Personally, I think she should just come out with a kick ass first single and video, a tv performance that will have everyone talking and of course some great photo shoots.

Perhaps do an "Unplugged" type special on MTV or VH1 where she sings stripped down versions of some of her well known songs and of course some new songs.

I think that would be different and good promotion for her.

Regardless, this is Madonna we're talking about here. She'll always sell decently at the very least.

Why would she lots of promotion/performances now, when it's, overall, never been her thing? Maybe she'll do some Euro promo tours for ROL, Music and AL, but anyone expecting major USA activity? Fuhgettaboutit. If she does an awards show, that will be an event, as usual.

The new album definetly needs an award show for exposure.

I think the VMA 30th anniversary will be too early for her this year, which is a shame....but the EMAs will be perfect this novemeber!

She will open the show, as usuall it's written into her "contract" with organisers to make sure she's the first person anyone sees.....Hung Up got massive coverage and launched COAD perfectly!

Don't you think that the rise of social media has a lot to do with album sales being front loaded in the first week? Because now if you like an artist, it's very easy to immediately find out if they have a new album and you can go and buy it the moment it comes out. But in the past, it took people longer to find out about a new album, because you were dependent on mainstream media articles, radio, MTV etc to tell you so and so had a new single or album out. I think it's inevitable her new album will sell a lot in the first week and then fall off quite quickly. So I want it to debut at #1!

And I think the reason American Life and MDNA were considered flops even though debuting at #1 was more because the first single was not a big radio or chart hit, not so much because of the number of albums they actually sold. So I want her to debut at #1 and have a decent sized single hit on radio or the charts.

I'd die if she could break Cher's record for the oldest female act to achieve a # 1 song on Hot 100 Billboard

She should do something controversial in a video, something political. it's what she's best at and she hasn't done it for a while...!

She doesn't do controversy for the sake of being controversial. She does it because she has a message to send which in fact, in most cases ends up being a controversy.

I wouldn't like her appearing on any and every talk-show. Ellen - maybe, if they gave her 1 hr like last time. David Letterman - definitely! they have a thing going on. Oprah - definitely not. After interviewing anything and everything (Karadshians, Lohans...)... Oprah is OVAH! However, I would LOVE to see her on Howard Stern Show. He's honest and cool. I would like to see her be real.

Guest whatatramp

She doesn't do controversy for the sake of being controversial. She does it because she has a message to send which in fact, in most cases ends up being a controversy.

Exactly, this is one of the most misunderstood things about her. She has sometimes done stuff just for reaction sake but not the stuff people think (Like a Prayer video) etc

POST MORE

:madgemanson: