Discuss Madonna's promotional strategy (or lack of) here.

i don't see how interviews can make an album sell better anyway. it's the music and the videos, the performances (the work) that do that.. an interview on letterman to say she's "back again" is fine of course, but doing a dozen of interviews like some suggest is a bit ridiculous.. (and useless, imo)

Not to mention the biggest vehicle to sell albums by and large is to get tons of radio play, and lets face it. For Madonna that ship has sailed.

Not to mention the biggest vehicle to sell albums by and large is to get tons of radio play, and lets face it. For Madonna that ship has sailed.

yep.. airplay. unless she gets another hung up. less airplay in the US but huge airplay everywhere else..

yep.. airplay. unless she gets another hung up. less airplay in the US but huge airplay everywhere else..

Or if she has a Cher like Believe kind of fluke.

No I'm not a "passive aggressive troll" let's get a few things straight I loved the MDNA album, it's actually my 3rd favorite M album, the PROMO videos for GMAYL and GGW were some of the best she's done in years (the less said about the TUTR PROMO video, the better), I even loved the Mdna tour and spectacular Superbowl halftime show.

If anything I've been more positive on her recent work than most people on here.

I'll defend the MDNA album til my dying day!

I have faith in collobarations with Avicii for the new album as well, because Madonna always delivers.

What I'm saying is that it makes no sense for Madonna to put out great work, like MDNA, if most people don't even know it's out due to lack of promo.

That is all

No I'm not a "passive aggressive troll" let's get a few things straight I loved the MDNA album, it's actually my 3rd favorite M album, the PROMO videos for GMAYL and GGW were some of the best she's done in years (the less said about the TUTR PROMO video, the better), I even loved the Mdna tour and spectacular Superbowl halftime show.

If anything I've been more positive on her recent work than most people on here.

I'll defend the MDNA album til my dying day!

I have faith in collobarations with Avicii for the new album as well, because Madonna always delivers.

What I'm saying is that it makes no sense for Madonna to put out great work, like MDNA, if most people don't even know it's out due to lack of promo.

That is all

i don't see how interviews can make an album sell better anyway. it's the music and the videos, the performances (the work) that do that.. an interview on letterman to say she's "back again" is fine of course, but doing a dozen of interviews like some suggest is a bit ridiculous.. (and useless, imo)

Yes, that's true. I see some older artists doing a ton of interviews but they don't really sell that many records. There are some artists that are very insecure and they need to be in the media and they need journalists to tell them how talented and wonderful they are. So the interviews are an ego thing for them rather than publicity per se. But Madonna is more secure in herself so she doesn't really need all that.

The album/tour bundle thing was very smart. I'm surprised more older artists haven't tried that. Again Madonna on the cutting edge and the visionary.

That is all

Well she also needs to release the best songs off this next album as well. Its like with MDNA she decided I am going to try something really different and release the worst songs on it! Of course this is just a theory of mine, but had she released Superstar as well, it would be a cemented fact in my mind.

Still say Gang Bang was a MASSIVE missed opportunity. A kickass video to go along with it and the song could have been a huge viral hit in my opinion. It without a doubt stands out, and its nothing like any pop bitch has done in recent memory, or has ever done. She wouldn't have even needed radio. Like I said, my sister hasn't been into Madonna in years. I think the last Madonna album she actually bought was Something to Remember, and even she said she wanted to buy the album just for Gang Bang.

Skin

Impressive Instant

Gang Bang

The 3 SHOULD HAVE BEEN singles in Madonna's career.

I think she still chooses singles based on what she thinks is commercial and radio friendly. The singles were the ones that were the most radio friendly but of course radio won't play her because she's older. Gang Bang is great but it's not commercial or radio friendly. So from MDNA I don't think she chose what she thought was the worst but what was most radio friendly and conventional in terms of its structure etc.

Even if she decided to not go the promo route again, all she really needs is just a great lead single. If she can sell close to 2 million copies of an album that had a crappy ass lead single and no promo, I think she will be fine this go round as I do think things will be different in terms of her choices to kick the album off.

And I know the VMA's have sucked ass for some time now, but I would love for her to premiere her lead single on it or something. First of all she hasn't performed since the Britney kiss a decade ago! And secondly I just want her to put on a kickass high energy performance that will put every other pop bitch performing that night to shame.

I think she still chooses singles based on what she thinks is commercial and radio friendly. The singles were the ones that were the most radio friendly but of course radio won't play her because she's older. Gang Bang is great but it's not commercial or radio friendly. So from MDNA I don't think she chose what she thought was the worst but what was most radio friendly and conventional in terms of its structure etc.

Well she needs to get off that idea if its true because its not doing her any favors. She needs to STAND OUT. Not release generic ass songs that are forgettable as hell and are going to get thrown aside in favor of chicks half her age with their own generic ass songs.

Its like take a chance with your single choices at this point woman. What do you have to lose?

Its like get the balls back that had you release Frozen as the lead single to Ray of Light. During a time when boy bands were once again on the rise. N'sync, Backstreet, Hanson, along with the Spice Girls and here comes Madonna with this haunting ass dark techno ballad that by all means should have bombed considering the radio climate at the time, but it went on to be a huge hit, because the song stood out and was incredible.

I remember the time when Madonna doesnt need to do promo during pre bedtime stories. She just released the first video of her new album which was always controversial (LAV, PDP, LAP, JML, E) and everybody knew she has a new product coming out. I miss those days. Videos are part of her package. I dont want her to stop making fantastic music videos.

As a fan, I love to see her perform on award shows or tv but i can also live without it. But please i want to see her again on magazine covers for collection purposes and to make the era feels complete. :)

Edited by hardcandy25

I don't care if she does any promo at all. I don't care if the album even breaks the top 100.

Give me the new music and I'll be perfectly content xo.

Well some of you better start caring because without sales and chart success, there's no record deal, and without a record deal there's no money for new music (you know she ain't paying out of pocket). And then she'll become a glorified nostalgia act. A.K.A. Cher.

Well some of you better start caring because without sales and chart success, there's no record deal, and without a record deal there's no money for new music (you know she ain't paying out of pocket). And then she'll become a glorified nostalgia act. A.K.A. Cher.

Madonna releasing an album on an indie label ala MIA would be a GOOD LOOK for her :wow:

Oh fuck off!!! That´s not where is the money right now!!!

Highest grossing tour of 2012 and you think there will be no record deal????? :lol:

It´s pathetic what I can read on this forum.

Oh? She filmed videos for MDNA? And videos are promo? I thought she didn't do any promo for MDNA? :newspaper:

You seriously took the argument to the absurd by suggesting that anyone on here things Madonna should not shoot photographs for an album cover or film videos for the singles. And those things happened for MDNA, so ...

Ugh. Never mind. So many people have said such rational things in this thread. I just feel like I'm beating my head against a wall.

Some "PR experts" here have spent too much time getting their head polluted by ATRL-like chart #, sales figures nonsense as if that was the only thing that matters, as if it was all a big competition game. Perhaps to ignorant millennial fans it is.

Shifting the focus from Yowsha!-a-new-Madonna-album-can't-wait! to fuck-how-much-is-Madonna-going-to-sell-with-little-promo? is a waste of energy in my opinion.

Madonna is recording a new album - aren't you happy about listening to new music from her?

Don't worry, we'll see her again on some media outlet when the album is released, not as many as some would (unrealistically) wish though. Same as we'll see her live on tour again.

Yay! Already something to look forward to rather than moaning about ;)

And be thankful that she never did shit like XFactor for crying out loud. That would be beneath her.

The only complaint I have promotional wise is that her recent videos have been so lackluster.

The tour video interludes are much more compelling. Madonna hasn't put out an extraordinary music video in years.

Other than that, I see no need for Madonna to be a promo wh0re. She's above that.

The music videos, tour, and just a few magazine & TV interviews will suffice.

Edited by Madonna Fan

I'm not against her doing traditional promo. Do it not in a whore way like Lady GaGa but a few TV appearances or talk shows wouldn't hurt. She can do this for the first single and before and shortly after the album release. After that, she can go tour.

I want her to gain new fans with the new album. There's nothing wrong with that so no need to be against it. I don't see MDNA fans but surely there are HC fans like me and Isaac.

And of course, the bottom line, the music must be good 'cause without it no promo can do wonders.

Highest grossing tour of 2012 and you think there will be no record deal????? :lol:

Exactly. And her deal with Live Nation is based mostly around touring, it's a 360 deal. It's not a standard record deal. The music business is all about touring not recording now. Yes, it's still necessary to record because it's boring to go see an artist sing the same songs tour after tour. So you need new songs just to keep tours interesting and fresh, but you don't need to make money from selling the actual music through chart positions etc.

Guest Rachelle of London

:clap:

Guest Rachelle of London

Are you serious?

Does that mean she won't have many nominations in the 2014 NTP Awards? :(

Well, to be fair there should be a category in the Grammies about this. Nowadays doing the right promotion is so incredibly difficult that it deserves an award.

That's the silliest thing I ever heard.

Record companies barely produce any money anymore anyway off selling records. All the cash is in touring and branding.

In 2013 the #2 selling record GLOBALLY was JT's the 20/20 Experience selling 3.8 million. If this were years ago, he probably would have sold double that in America alone. Is it really a big deal that Madonna comes along with MDNA and sells "only" 1.9 million? Do we really want her whoring herself out to every show out there (which probably costs more money than actually producing her album when it comes to travel, and putting together performances for these shows) just so she MIGHT tally a few more thousand in sales onto her total? Wow! *alternate universe* Madonna promoted her ass off for MDNA and instead of selling 1.9 million, she sold 2.2 million. BIG WHOOP!

Look how many millions Interscope lost on promoting the hell out of Artpop. Promotion is not always a given.

Madonna by and large just needs a kickass lead single and a great video to go with it that will go viral, and great word of mouth on the album itself. Appearing on Letterman, Ellen, Jimmy Fallon, The View, The Talk, Rachel Ray, The Daily Show, Queen of Queefa, Wendy Williams....and on and on and on really isn't going to do that much.