London Hyde Park, 17th July

markm

Guest bluejean

I love it when she says hello to the city with the vocal effect. She does that on the Amsterdam bootleg... "Are you mother fuckers reeeady"

As for 'Revolver' being live, it sounds live to me. Sounds nothing like the CD recording.

I love it when she says hello to the city with the vocal effect. She does that on the Amsterdam bootleg... "Are you mother fuckers reeeady"

As for 'Revolver' being live, it sounds live to me. Sounds nothing like the CD recording.

Everything sounded live to me last night.

Guest bluejean

Well the GGW pro shot video proves its not. That is clearly not live.

I wish a soundboard of the London show would leak. Or even the dress rehearsal like we had of Confessions.

someone should comment asking why they have changed from a glowing review (is that even still online? i posted a link to it in this thread this morning) to a scathing review. such a shit fucking paper :lmao:

Piss Morgan must be behind this... Leave to the sour Brits to trash such a glorious show.

I love that vocal effect. I think it wasn't there for the first few shows, at least it's not there on the Milan recording. Reminds me of the DWT when I OBSESSED about the different Nobody's perfect and Human nature performances because of that effect. Pathetic, I know, but yeah ... I'm a bit of a loon sometimes :lol:

Oops, I didn't know I couldn't talk about SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEX

Guest bluejean

I love the way on 'Impressive Instant' in DWT she sings "Dance to a samba samba samba" and that crazy squeal as it goes back into the chorus. So good.

The UK press seem to have the knives out for Madonna

Madonna left me flat and dissapointed at Hyde Park gig

ABOVE: Madonna is a victim of her own success. I wonder how many people there - who sighed when she ended Papa Don't Preach after one verse - had actually bought MDNA.

18th July 2012 By James Ingham

I'VE been a journalist for ten years but so far in my career have never written a review.

But travelling home on the tube from Madonna's Hyde Park gig I found myself in the middle of a debate and thought I'd share my humble opinion with you, as well as the drunk Madge fan wearing a 'Like A Virgin' T-shirt.

Firstly, let me start by saying Madonna is undoubtedly a pop icon. Probably the greatest living pop icon we have.

She isn't universally referred to as the Queen of Pop for no reason.

She has sold more than 300 million records worldwide and is recognised as the world's top-selling female recording artist of all time by Guinness World Records.

She's remained one of the most-talked about, relevant, and exciting artists of the last 30 years.

Not only has she managed to survive the tough and fickle pop industry, she's also remained pretty level-headed and lived a relatively normal life at the same time. A miracle in itself!

Madonna you are a legend and rightly so.

That's the good, now on to the bad!

Despite all of the above, I left Hyde Park feeling a little flat and disappointed, and I know I wasn't the only one.

Admittedly, the first thing I did when I got on the tube was put Madge on my ipod.

But did I put on MDNA? Or any of her other recent albums? No, I put on Immaculate Collection. Which is unquestionably the most aptly-named album in music history - utter brilliance.

Which brings me on to what was wrong with this concert.

I understand she is promoting her 12th studio album (MDNA) and as a result that's what she's on stage to 'sing' or, should I say, perform.

But at the same time, the thousands of fans who paid good money to be there also wanted Madonna of old. Instead, they got an old Madonna.

In the Express Yourself/Born This Way mash-up Madonna tried to get one over on Lady Gaga.

But it seemed more like Madonna feeling the need to compete with Lady G rather than just doing her own thing.

On the other hand her performance of Human Nature showed what, in my opinion, she should be doing.

An artist being creative, singing live and entertaining.

Not lip-syncing to average dance/pop tracks - which no one will care about in five years, let alone 20.

Admittedly, Madonna just about pulled them off despite being 53. Something no one else in the world would be able to do.

But, unfortunately, no matter how legendary, fit and youthful she is, she couldn't escape looking a little bit too much like a mum trying to keep up with the cool kids.

Her need to keep up with pop culture will (if she's not careful) eventually turn her into another artist who relies on the faithful pink pound to pay the bills - while soiling her incredible reputation.

You can always rely on the loyal, faithful gay brigade to buy into new material but is she actually attracting any new fans?

The problem is Madonna is a victim of her own success.

After year upon year of unleashing classic albums on the public, the truth is three of the last four have been average at best!

I wonder how many people there - who sighed when she ended Papa Don't Preach after one verse - had actually bought MDNA.

Or Hard Candy or American Life for that matter.

I get what she was trying to do with the snail-paced version of Like A Virgin.

I understand it fitted in with the storytelling but, after three or four minutes, it just became boring and self-indulgent.

The show on the whole was visually interesting and would probably make for a great DVD.

But watching it live in a rainy Hyde Park it missed the fun factor.

Her incredible performance of Like A Prayer finally slapped the audience round the face with what they wanted.

It shamefully provided the first eruption from the crowd since Madge had made her entrance on stage nearly two hours earlier.

I get that it wasn't a greatest hits tour and if you loveMDNA or are a diehard fan I'm sure you loved the gig.

The problem for me is, I don't mind the album, unfortunately, I don't love it. And haven't loved one since Confessions Of A Dance Floor.

We have got so used to Madonna leading her pretenders but over recent years it's obvious she's finally been overtaken.

I want Madonna to come out with a modern-day Like A Prayer, Papa Don't Preach, Borderline, Vogue, rather than trying to beat Lady G or Britney at their own game.

At the end of the day, who am I to be telling the Queen of Pop what should be doing? Obviously a nobody!

I'm sure her loyal (rightly so) fans will disregard everything I have to say and see me as being a hater (which I'm not).

Anticipating the backlash from fans claiming I'm Team Gaga (no I don't need to put my paws down) this isn't anything to do with the Born This Way singer. 

At the end of the day, I'm a Madonna fan who wanted what 95% of the rest of the audience wanted... a trip down memory lane.

Or at least quality we couldn't find elsewhere. Unfortunately, I'm sorry to say personally I didn't get either.

I'm not hating on Madonna.

And perhaps, yes, I'm being unfairly harsh!

After all, what other 53-year-old mother-of-four could still attract such attention?

But at the same time it's time to face facts. Long gone are the days when Madonna could attract a crowd dying to see her perform new material.

It hasn't happened since Confessions....

And if it doesn't happen soon, a greatest hits tour is about all people will start paying to see.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/rehab/view/262826/Madonna-left-me-flat-and-disappointed-at-Hyde-Park-gig/

Well if they don't want to see her perform the new material then simply don't go. As if she is forcing everyone her new music like an evil cunt that doesn't do what THEY want. They can fuck off! She shouldnt perform in this places so much anyway! Thats what happens. People take her for granted until she turns her back to them. And now i seriously hope she does.

At the end of the day, I'm a Madonna fan who wanted what 95% of the rest of the audience wanted... a trip down memory lane.

http://www.dailystar...-Hyde-Park-gig/

So the poor guy wants a trip down memory lane? My advise go watch the Stones. It has been rumoured they are going on tour again. And sorry, I'm sick of people who claim to be fans although it's quite obvious they are not. He is a casual listener. A fan wouldn't make a big fuss about her performing mostly songs from MDNA instead of Immaculate collection. A fan has learnt over the last decade and beyond that her setlist always consists of the newer stuff. A fan would know. Claiming to be a fan is only meant to sound more credible. It's so transparent.

ABOVE: Madonna is a victim of her own success. I wonder how many people there - who sighed when she ended Papa Don't Preach after one verse - had actually bought MDNA.

Firstly, let me start by saying Madonna is undoubtedly a pop icon. Probably the greatest living pop icon we have.

She has sold more than 300 million records worldwide and is recognised as the world's top-selling female recording artist of all time by Guinness World Records.

She's remained one of the most-talked about, relevant, and exciting artists of the last 30 years.

Not only has she managed to survive the tough and fickle pop industry, she's also remained pretty level-headed and lived a relatively normal life at the same time. A miracle in itself!

In the Express Yourself/Born This Way mash-up Madonna tried to get one over on Lady Gaga.

But it seemed more like Madonna feeling the need to compete with Lady G rather than just doing her own thing.

On the other hand her performance of Human Nature showed what, in my opinion, she should be doing.

Not lip-syncing to average dance/pop tracks - which no one will care about in five years, let alone 20.

Admittedly, Madonna just about pulled them off despite being 53. Something no one else in the world would be able to do.

But, unfortunately, no matter how legendary, fit and youthful she is, she couldn't escape looking a little bit too much like a mum trying to keep up with the cool kids.

Her need to keep up with pop culture will (if she's not careful) eventually turn her into another artist who relies on the faithful pink pound to pay the bills - while soiling her incredible reputation.

You can always rely on the loyal, faithful gay brigade to buy into new material but is she actually attracting any new fans?

After year upon year of unleashing classic albums on the public, the truth is three of the last four have been average at best!

I wonder how many people there - who sighed when she ended Papa Don't Preach after one verse - had actually bought MDNA.

Her incredible performance of Like A Prayer finally slapped the audience round the face with what they wanted.

We have got so used to Madonna leading her pretenders but over recent years it's obvious she's finally been overtaken.

At the end of the day, who am I to be telling the Queen of Pop what should be doing? Obviously a nobody!

I'm sure her loyal (rightly so) fans will disregard everything I have to say and see me as being a hater (which I'm not).

Anticipating the backlash from fans claiming I'm Team Gaga (no I don't need to put my paws down) this isn't anything to do with the Born This Way singer.

Or at least quality we couldn't find elsewhere. Unfortunately, I'm sorry to say personally I didn't get either.

After all, what other 53-year-old mother-of-four could still attract such attention?

But at the same time it's time to face facts. Long gone are the days when Madonna could attract a crowd dying to see her perform new material.

And if it doesn't happen soon, a greatest hits tour is about all people will start paying to see.

I really love thisw review, it shows nothing but the true feelings of many people, and it does not resemble hate against Madonna. I think is pretty much objective.

I really love thisw review, it shows nothing but the true feelings of many people, and it does not resemble hate against Madonna. I think is pretty much objective.

I agree. This is as close you get to an objective review from a casual fan.

Though I don't agree with him 100% (I loved every part of the songs, even the ones I thought I'd dislike), I get his point.

Guest bluejean

He is right though. Only hardcore fans would love this show. Lucky for us that's us!

But I do think if the next album isn't a hit then she'll have to consider another hits type tour. People shudder at the thought but remember Blond Ambition was mostly a hits tour.

But I do think if the next album isn't a hit then she'll have to consider another hits type tour. People shudder at the thought but remember Blond Ambition was mostly a hits tour.

I'm afraid you're right.

I'm won't be surprised if the next tour will be a kind of Re-Invention 2.0 in terms of song selections: Mainly old classic, most of them

similar to the originals, combined with

a handful of new songs, primarily singles.

So the poor guy wants a trip down memory lane? My advise go watch the Stones. It has been rumoured they are going on tour again. And sorry, I'm sick of people who claim to be fans although it's quite obvious they are not. He is a casual listener. A fan wouldn't make a big fuss about her performing mostly songs from MDNA instead of Immaculate collection. A fan has learnt over the last decade and beyond that her setlist always consists of the newer stuff. A fan would know. Claiming to be a fan is only meant to sound more credible. It's so transparent.

+1

I don't think this show is only for the hardcore fans, though of course, for those who know the music, it's easier to appreciate rather than looking for the only 30 year old song you know (if you're a non-fan). I know of casual fans who were blown away and converted (Spain, Berlin, Netherlands, and a few places).

She got great reviews at first, but because of one random twitter comment, that a rag decided to write a whole article about, now the sensationalist press is flipping in the opposite direction. I don't think she should've played at Hyde Park because of the curfew and sound limits. The show needs to be seen when it's dark out, not in daylight.

Agreed, I mean if this were the Sticky and Sweet I'd be pissed off since Hard Candy sucks and I would never be able to sit through Spanish Lesson even if they payed me 10 million dlls. That's why I skipped that tour. But MDNA is amazing tbh, I would much more enjoy Gang Bang, Girls Gone Wild and I'm Addicted than La Isla Bonita, Ray of Light and Music.

Most bands tour to promote new albums but Madonna has been successful for so long journalists forget thsi. HOWEVER, she used to tour AFTER an album had been out for a substantial amount of time. By the time the Who's That Girl tour came to town, True Blue had released five singles and she was onto the second single from WTG soundtrack. The Girlie Show followed after five singles from Erotica. DWT came after Ray of Light and several singles from Music. People knew many of the latest songs from the latest albums!

If the MDNA tour had come later and the singles had been promoted properly, the crowd would know some of the MDNA songs and it wouldn't seem like 7 unknown songs. Another reason why the 'non-traditional promotion' has failed.

I'm afraid you're right.

I'm won't be surprised if the next tour will be a kind of Re-Invention 2.0 in terms of song selections: Mainly old classic, most of them

similar to the originals, combined with

a handful of new songs, primarily singles.

Thanks for your input, O Wise One.

And I'm sorry but what bullshit. I went last night with 2 friends who had never seen Madonna live before and they are certainly not hardcore Madonna fans. Neither of them complained of the lack of hits and both of them loved the show.

The whole article is full of personal intepretations sold as pretty much a universal truth.

Many of those who call themselves hardcore fans don't get Madonna. They never did. They probably never will.

She is not prone to taking trips down memory lanes and she surely has made this quite clear over the past 30 years.

The other huge misunderstanding about her is about the fact that hers are not rock concerts. Instead they are theatrical presentations of her music. You may disagree with the way that she chooses to present her music in a theatrical way but surely her performances can be appreciated in their own rights without any specific need to know the words to every song. Is it really that hard to understand and realize and accept?

She is not one to change the set-list each night. She is not one to build a show around the fact that her spectators expect - or even demand - a trip down memory lane from her.

She is an artist. She gets easily bored like true artists often do. This is probably one of the main reasons why she may have chosen to cancel the Australian leg, but that's a whole other subject altogether.

She likes to try out new things. Sometimes she likes to revisit her past from totally different angles or changing things up to the extent that they are almost difficult to recognize.

That's the way she is.

The only thing you can do it either love her and embrace her or not.

People may stop buying her music tomorrow, but she will still be an artist and she will still be Madonna, a woman that has changed the entertainment world forever.

So, please....if you expect from her what she obviously will never deliver, go see someone else.

I'VE been a journalist for ten years but so far in my career have never written a review.

But travelling home on the tube from Madonna's Hyde Park gig I found myself in the middle of a debate and thought I'd share my humble opinion with you, as well as the drunk Madge fan wearing a 'Like A Virgin' T-shirt.

Despite all of the above, I left Hyde Park feeling a little flat and disappointed, and I know I wasn't the only one.

Admittedly, the first thing I did when I got on the tube was put Madge on my ipod.

But did I put on MDNA? Or any of her other recent albums? No, I put on Immaculate Collection. Which is unquestionably the most aptly-named album in music history - utter brilliance.

Which brings me on to what was wrong with this concert.

I understand she is promoting her 12th studio album (MDNA) and as a result that's what she's on stage to 'sing' or, should I say, perform.

But at the same time, the thousands of fans who paid good money to be there also wanted Madonna of old. Instead, they got an old Madonna.

I get what she was trying to do with the snail-paced version of Like A Virgin.

I understand it fitted in with the storytelling but, after three or four minutes, it just became boring and self-indulgent.

The show on the whole was visually interesting and would probably make for a great DVD.

But watching it live in a rainy Hyde Park it missed the fun factor.

It shamefully provided the first eruption from the crowd since Madge had made her entrance on stage nearly two hours earlier.

I get that it wasn't a greatest hits tour and if you loveMDNA or are a diehard fan I'm sure you loved the gig.

The problem for me is, I don't mind the album, unfortunately, I don't love it. And haven't loved one since Confessions Of A Dance Floor.

I want Madonna to come out with a modern-day Like A Prayer, Papa Don't Preach, Borderline, Vogue, rather than trying to beat Lady G or Britney at their own game.

Don't blame me, but this is a great review.

He is right though. Only hardcore fans would love this show. Lucky for us that's us!

It´s not totally true: in Blond Ambition, madonna had two albums to performe live, LAP and IB, and some of the songs weren´t big hits (yet). Sooner or later and Now I´m following you weren´t singles, Hanky panky was new but a weird song for a lot of people, keep it together wasn´t a hit in most of the markets...although most of the songs were big hits, because back in the 80s most of her songs were huge hits!