STREAMING/SALES strategy and discussion

1 hour ago, promise to try said:

GI"M was lead single material, with a better video, at least for europe

Personally i would have gone for tbgo for eu/usa and devil.

2 hours ago, mtzlplk said:

Don't forget Champagne Rose, it did nothing on streaming even if it's a Quavo track...

This is a bit unfair because tbqh all his album didn't really work well on streaming and on chart.
M or not it was a failure. 

6 hours ago, Kilt said:

This! Instead we got the Nintendo Music sounding GI2M. BGO was sublime!!!!

Nintendo music? I was thinking more carnival or circus haha

Edited by imakicola

I hate how her past work gets criticized when new shit comes along. GI2M was and is sublime!! People like to come down on Interscope (rightfully so) BUT WB actually dropped the ball big time with GI2M......as they did with MANY of her singles up until this point and through Miles Away. Easy to look back with rose-tinted glasses but her chart domination was already slowing down even with the last pair of Confessions singles (in the US it can be traced back to AL singles).....yes, I know they went top 10 in some countries but in no way do they rival other 3rd or 4th singles chart performances from previous albums. 

Regarding the Quavo and Swae tracks on Madame X, I wouldn't anticipate any major numbers or chart positions with those. Perhaps a little more than her solo songs will get because I'm sure even those acts have the sets of diehards that will get ANYTHING they're involved with but I don't think the GP will flock to the songs just because of their involvement.....nor do I think that's the intent. 

Medellin seems stuck on Spotify. It still has 4,415,836 and hasn't moved up since yesterday. I was expecting at least another 400k streams. Maybe the update comes a little later?

The monthly listeners did update though.

6 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

I hate how her past work gets criticized when new shit comes along. GI2M was and is sublime!! People like to come down on Interscope (rightfully so) BUT WB actually dropped the ball big time with GI2M......as they did with MANY of her singles up until this point and through Miles Away. Easy to look back with rose-tinted glasses but her chart domination was already slowing down even with the last pair of Confessions singles (in the US it can be traced back to AL singles).....yes, I know they went top 10 in some countries but in no way do they rival other 3rd or 4th singles chart performances from previous albums. 

Regarding the Quavo and Swae tracks on Madame X, I wouldn't anticipate any major numbers or chart positions with those. Perhaps a little more than her solo songs will get because I'm sure even those acts have the sets of diehards that will get ANYTHING they're involved with but I don't think the GP will flock to the songs just because of their involvement.....nor do I think that's the intent. 

It's just sad with these people, Kurt. Of all things in the world, "Give It 2 Me" was made a punching bag. I bet if they were in charge, they would not even let her to release the ENTIRE EROTICA ALBUM and ask her to re-record it all over again because the songs sound too dark for pop and therefore would not outsell a Whitney Houston's album. Just...well, sickening. 

With both Spotify and YouTube, it seems like it's not out of the ordinary for views to stall for a bit then "catch up" later. Don't think they always update in real time.

18 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

GI2M is one of my all time favorite M songs, and Hard Candy is one of my favorite albums. It has aged very well. 

4 minutes ago, Crystal Coffin said:

It's just sad with these people, Kurt. Of all things in the world, "Give It 2 Me" was made a punching bag. I bet if they were in charge, they would not even let her to release the ENTIRE EROTICA ALBUM and ask her to re-record it all over again because the songs sound too dark for pop and therefore would not outsell a Whitney Houston's album. Just...well, sickening. 

History seems to always be re-written.....I distinctly remember WB being blasted because of their lack of support and at the time, many were on board with the Live Nation deal due to the frustration with WB that really started hardcore with the whole Amazing/Impressive Instant "debacle". It was seen as sort of a new beginning for M, then when singles didn't chart better and album sales didn't skyrocket, the LN deal became a "bad" idea and "ruined" her career (in the eyes of some). The fact of the matter is, Madonna saw even then that things were shifting in the industry and with HER as a "veteran" artists and she adjusted accordingly. Don't get me wrong, I do wish Interscope were more supportive but I sincerely do not think that Madonna would've been sitting atop of the charts in 50 countries with every single/album even if she'd stayed with WB. 

4 minutes ago, vertigokane said:

GI2M is one of my all time favorite M songs, and Hard Candy is one of my favorite albums. It has aged very well. 

YES!! I've ALWAYS stood by Hard Candy and I can honestly say, its sounds just as good (if not better) now than it did then. All of the accusations of it being a Nelly/Justin ripoff are ONLY based on the people that worked on the album. Hard Candy has always been a MADONNA album through and through!! 

I said then and I say it now, any "negative" connotation associated with that album is BECAUSE of Madonna's own diehard fans. Buzz starts with us and those bias "COADF fans" that will ONLY accept a "disco banger" from her are the ones that put a stink cloud over that era. 

11 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

YES!! I've ALWAYS stood by Hard Candy and I can honestly say, its sounds just as good (if not better) now than it did then. All of the accusations of it being a Nelly/Justin ripoff are ONLY based on the people that worked on the album. Hard Candy has always been a MADONNA album through and through!! 

I said then and I say it now, any "negative" connotation associated with that album is BECAUSE of Madonna's own diehard fans. Buzz starts with us and those bias "COADF fans" that will ONLY accept a "disco banger" from her are the ones that put a stink cloud over that era. 

And every era it seems...

10 minutes ago, Mensch said:

And every era it seems...

Yup! You'd think that with an artist as diverse as Madonna is, some would be more open to well....anything and everything.....but no, even with all she's done, she tends to get "boxed in" still as a "disco diva" of sorts.....or an "electronica" only type artist. It's just frustrating!!

32 minutes ago, Kurt420 said:

Amen. I love COADF too, but I don’t expect her to try to replicate it, nor should she. Part of it’s appeal is that it fit into a specific place and time, as does the “one-two-cha-cha-cha” now. 

3 minutes ago, vertigokane said:

Amen. I love COADF too, but I don’t expect her to try to replicate it, nor should she. Part of it’s appeal is that it fit into a specific place and time, as does the “one-two-cha-cha-cha” now. 

Exactly!! I guess some just take a completely different mindset when it comes to M. There are those that are very specific in their expectations based on whatever their personal "faves" from her are.....and then there are those that are along for the ride no matter where it may lead......doesn't mean we'll always love it, but we'll support and understand her need to do whatever she's doing artistically. I feel like we're in the latter category!

COADF is absolutely one of my fave M albums and fave albums of all time by ANYONE....doesn't mean I need it over and over!!!

Basically, I'm Madonna's bitch...lol....I'm willing to go wherever she takes me.....if I don't really like it, then no worries! I'm sure I'll be on board next go round. I wasn't thrilled with AL on first listen because at that time, I had my own expectations.....I thought we'd get an expansion of II and what we basically got was an expansion of IDI (one of my least fave Music songs at the time) so that was my personal learning curve when it comes to M. Now, I see AL as NECESSARY and appreciate it for what it is. 

I will take Medellin, a single that hasn't charted, over ANY of these basic pop songs by Taylor etc any day of the week.

Think about it... Erotica album peaked at #2. Would you swap that album for say, a Mariah album that hit the too?? Never. Never in a million years. I'd sooner die. Give me my gold. Give me my golden art over a chart position every time.

17 minutes ago, stevo208 said:

I will take Medellin, a single that hasn't charted, over ANY of these basic pop songs by Taylor etc any day of the week.

Think about it... Erotica album peaked at #2. Would you swap that album for say, a Mariah album that hit the too?? Never. Never in a million years. I'd sooner die. Give me my gold. Give me my golden art over a chart position every time.

Exactly! If we really want to break it down, Madonna has been "under performing" in one territory or another for over half of her career. GET OVER IT!! It's about the art at the end of the day.

Don't let them pls.

32 minutes ago, stevo208 said:

That was my thoughts exactly when I heard the new Taylor song. I was like "I dont care if this is number one and Madonna's song doesnt even chart, because Medellin will be with me for life and I love it."

45 minutes ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

That was my thoughts exactly when I heard the new Taylor song. I was like "I dont care if this is number one and Madonna's song doesnt even chart, because Medellin will be with me for life and I love it."

Good for Taylor that she has such appeal, but she's barely a real artist. The "ME!" video looks like an advertisement for detergent. I can see the appeal, but it is depressing. Ten years into Madonna's career, she had done Like a Prayer and the Sex book. The riskiest Taylor has played was going from folk to pop, which is commercial as all get out.

If we don't address this enormous problem of ageism now, all of these artist that are blowing up now will have no future. They'll be hanging themselves by 40... 

Maluma just posted on his IG that his new album 11:11 will come out on May 17th, and it has another collaboration with Madonna called Soltera (Single). I think this will definitely be good promotion and I'm sure he will release this single later this year. 

3 minutes ago, Dany Targaryen said:

Good for Taylor that she has such appeal, but she's barely a real artist. The "ME!" video looks like an advertisement for detergent. I can see the appeal, but it is depressing. Ten years into Madonna's career, she had done Like a Prayer and the Sex book. The riskiest Taylor has played was going from folk to pop, which is commercial as all get out.

If we don't address this enormous problem of ageism now, all of these artist that are blowing up now will have no future.

No offence to TS, but she is comparable to the most boring, vanilla sex you can have. For Christ sake get a belt around your neck and hang from the back of a door whilst flicking your bean - anything to raise an eyebrow! I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than listen to one of her songs for 30 seconds. 

She seems like a nice person though.

3 hours ago, Crystal Coffin said:

Does it make you sick? You’re so easily triggered! 

1 hour ago, Frozenpower said:

Maluma just posted on his IG that his new album 11:11 will come out on May 17th, and it has another collaboration with Madonna called Soltera (Single). I think this will definitely be good promotion and I'm sure he will release this single later this year. 

Wow they really got it off by the looks of it! Three songs so far. I can’t think of anyone else she’s collaborated with this much. 

3 minutes ago, Napoléon said:

Wow they really got it off by the looks of it! Three songs so far. I can’t think of anyone else she’s collaborated with this much. 

Nicki Minaj. Though thankfully her reign of terror seems to be over

3 minutes ago, Napoléon said:

Nicki Minaj

1 hour ago, stevo208 said:

No offence to TS, but she is comparable to the most boring, vanilla sex you can have. For Christ sake get a belt around your neck and hang from the back of a door whilst flicking your bean - anything to raise an eyebrow! I'd rather shit in my hands and clap than listen to one of her songs for 30 seconds. 

She seems like a nice person though.

She's a good girl, and she's been very kind to Madonna. I wish nothing but the best things for her.

But she is not good when it comes to music. Her songwriting is basic, VERY basic. And most of her videos are cringe worthy. Her latest video takes the cake. I wish Madonna could be getting the views and attention TS gets. Because, to me, Madonna deserves it more. Taylor Swift's music feels like cheese with mayo. I don't mean to be disrespectful but it's just my honest opinion..