Madonna at Tidal presentation [merged]

• 2 months later...

Billboard

Madonna Defends Tidal: 'We're Working Out a Lot of Kinks'

By Jason Lipshutz, New York | July 27, 2015 10:51 AM EDT

madonna-met-gala-through-the-looking-gla

"We live in a society now where everybody just expects everything to be for free, but you don't get a house for free," says the pop superstar.

Tidal has seemingly been under fire ever since launching in March: the streaming music service is co-owned by some of the medium's biggest stars, but its pricing has been criticized, its interim CEO recently left and Birdman is reportedly suing the company for $50 million. In a new interview with the Associated Press, Madonna -- one of the company's many famous co-owners -- defended Tidal by pointing to the company's core ideals and hinting at more upcoming changes.

"It's just the beginning, so we're working out a lot of kinks and hopefully we're going to build something unique and amazing that's going to attract a lot of people," says Madonna.

One of the "kinks" that Tidal has been working out has been an overall image problem, especially when compared to cheaper subscription services like Apple Music. Earlier this month, Tidal announced a family plan with discounted prices for multiple subscribers using the same account.

"It's important that people understand we didn't create Tidal, we didn't put this together, we didn't all join forces because we're broke and we want more money," says Madonna, who has worked with Jay Z, Beyonce, Jack White, Arcade Fire and several other artists on the new endeavor. "The idea is we want to support other artists and we want people to understand this is our heart, this is our work, and we want people to recognize that and we want other artists to have a chance.

"We live in a society now where everybody just expects everything to be for free, but you don't get a house for free; you have to pay somebody to build it," she continued.

Last month, Madonna premiered her video for "Bitch I'm Madonna" exclusively on Tidal, but the service was mired in technical problems and was forced to tweet an apology. Watch the video below:

Just recently I have read an article about Tidal and why it's not as successful as it should be. Why it cannot compete with Spotify for instance. The reason was surprising and simple. Who is using streaming services? Young people. People who grew up with mp3 files. People who may never ever heard music from a CD or a record. They only know how music sounds in compressed format. People that simply don't know the difference in quality. How can you expect them to pay for something they can't even appreciate. Those people are happy with the inferior quality that is offered somewhere else for free. The biggest problem for Tidal will be to convince people that they offer something superior. At the moment Tidal is just a niche product for audiophiles.

That's like saying people who'd only known cassette tapes wouldn't understand the better sound quality of cds, the difference wouldn't matter, and therefore, they wouldn't pay a higher price for a cd.

I'll never understand how they were expecting to charge double what Spotify does. For the same thing. Usually Madonna's business ventures make much more sense. And she has an unparallelled endorsement profile. But this Tidal thing was a joke from the start. It's not about giving a platform to new artists at all, clearly. Glad she put little money (for her) into this

Billboard

Madonna Defends Tidal: 'We're Working Out a Lot of Kinks'

By Jason Lipshutz, New York | July 27, 2015 10:51 AM EDT

madonna-met-gala-through-the-looking-gla

"We live in a society now where everybody just expects everything to be for free, but you don't get a house for free," says the pop superstar.

Tidal has seemingly been under fire ever since launching in March: the streaming music service is co-owned by some of the medium's biggest stars, but its pricing has been criticized, its interim CEO recently left and Birdman is reportedly suing the company for $50 million. In a new interview with the Associated Press, Madonna -- one of the company's many famous co-owners -- defended Tidal by pointing to the company's core ideals and hinting at more upcoming changes.

"It's just the beginning, so we're working out a lot of kinks and hopefully we're going to build something unique and amazing that's going to attract a lot of people," says Madonna.

One of the "kinks" that Tidal has been working out has been an overall image problem, especially when compared to cheaper subscription services like Apple Music. Earlier this month, Tidal announced a family plan with discounted prices for multiple subscribers using the same account.

"It's important that people understand we didn't create Tidal, we didn't put this together, we didn't all join forces because we're broke and we want more money," says Madonna, who has worked with Jay Z, Beyonce, Jack White, Arcade Fire and several other artists on the new endeavor. "The idea is we want to support other artists and we want people to understand this is our heart, this is our work, and we want people to recognize that and we want other artists to have a chance.

"We live in a society now where everybody just expects everything to be for free, but you don't get a house for free; you have to pay somebody to build it," she continued.

Last month, Madonna premiered her video for "Bitch I'm Madonna" exclusively on Tidal, but the service was mired in technical problems and was forced to tweet an apology. Watch the video below:

Of all the pics from that night .....................

Just recently I have read an article about Tidal and why it's not as successful as it should be. Why it cannot compete with Spotify for instance. The reason was surprising and simple. Who is using streaming services? Young people. People who grew up with mp3 files. People who may never ever heard music from a CD or a record. They only know how music sounds in compressed format. People that simply don't know the difference in quality. How can you expect them to pay for something they can't even appreciate. Those people are happy with the inferior quality that is offered somewhere else for free. The biggest problem for Tidal will be to convince people that they offer something superior. At the moment Tidal is just a niche product for audiophiles.

This

That's like saying people who'd only known cassette tapes wouldn't understand the better sound quality of cds, the difference wouldn't matter, and therefore, they wouldn't pay a higher price for a cd.

I think this is apples to oranges. I would like to argue that there was hardly any person who ONLY knew cassettes. Most people when at home had a record player. And there is no debate that out of all formats the sound quality of a record is superior to a cassette, a CD and an mp3. So they know the difference very well. And once the CD became a universally accepted and therefore available medium they were not really more expensive than cassettes. The cassette was dead soon after anyway. And "higher" price is misleading. While people had to pay for the music whether this was a record, a cassette or a CD, most people who use Spotify don't pay a dime for the service. Most of them use the free, ad supported version. Which is basically the reason why Spotify isn't the success they always claim to be. At least not financially. It's the Gaga concept. You have trillions of twitter followers/subscribers yet it doesn't turn into something substantial like record sales or paid subscriptions. The concept has huge flaws.

No, it's just that it's more expensive than Spotify.

I would've used TIDAL but they don't have a desktop app and the web browser version sucks ass. Plus I wasn't going to install Chrome just so I could get HI-FI streaming. It seemed liked too much effort. The mobile app wasn't as user friendly as Spotify either. The cost really didn't bother me. Overall it cost about the same as a CD/album so I didn't see the big deal.

Side note Apple Music is even worse. Just shows how fucking stupid and gullible people are that they laud it as some revolutionary concept. I'm sticking with Spotify for the forseeable future.

"We live in a society now where everybody just expects everything to be for free, but you don't get a house for free; you have to pay somebody to build it,"

Statements like these are what make tidal a flop.

I use Apple Music. Its a mess right now because it just started, but having an iPhone + Macbook, its very easy. All the music I get from Apple Music is synchronized with the music I already have and bought. If I really enjoy an album and have a need to support the artist. I'll usually buy both the vinyl and the CD. Then I'll rip the CD and have good copies of it digitally. This is what has always worked for me. A subscription service + physical music that I really enjoy.

I tried Tidal, and for me, it was way too over hyped. No better or worse than Spotify. But that's just my .02.

They should be open up to suggestions and ideas from the public. They have a chance at being the superior music streaming service, but they're not flying that extra mile. And it's not just about that price. If it's really about the artists, then why do they ignore the artists that created the album art?

The second that people pays for something that has bad quality is enough to destroy music itself. Add to the mix the fact that people download ilegally too and then you have a dead business where only Spotify, iTunes and YouTube can survive right now. There's no market for anything else because much more than 50% of music is consumed ilegally!

And, by the way, Rebel Heart is the first album i have bought that has BAD quality sound on CD because nowadays sound quality doesn't matter. So this Tidal "we offer better quality" is a joke, hahahaha.

Tidal= instant one of the biggest train wrecks, 'business venture' fails of the year. lol From that start, you could hear the 20 inch greedy nails on the chalkboard no matter 'how many people need to be paid' to build that massive Malibu mansion LOL. Sorry M but that justification is soo RIAA 2002 ish when they were explaining 'why' they were taking down all the P2P sites and suing grannies and college kids left/right.

"The idea is we want to support other artists and we want people to understand this is our heart, this is our work, and we want people to recognize that and we want other artists to have a chance."

How exactly do other artists get a chance?

People who want things for free are the greedy ones.

Exactly! What's wrong with M's comment? She's right! People do expect music, movies, TV.....basically all entertainment to be free. It doesn't matter how rich she is, it's the principle of the matter.

If Taylor Swift said it they'd suck the shit out her ass

*Niki voice*

But they released Tidal and got dragged...

Released Tidal n got dragged

Tidal n dragged!!!

Exactly! What's wrong with M's comment? She's right! People do expect music, movies, TV.....basically all entertainment to be free. It doesn't matter how rich she is, it's the principle of the matter.

You don't sell products by insulting your customers. The marketing campaign on Tidal is a mess.

You don't sell products by insulting your customers. The marketing campaign on Tidal is a mess.

Well, who wants customers who believe they should get everything for free? You want paying customers. Of course you can do it like Spotify. Offer an ad based version for free and project profits for the future. Even if that could be 2056. But who cares if you have sawy investors to pump in a few hundred million every few months hoping for an IPO to make bank by exaggerating the value of the company. At the moment it's at 8 billion. When this bubble bursts they will be gone and will leave burnt soil. It happended before and it will happen again. It will happne with Twitter and tons of those shared economy apps. It's not even a secret. But I guess this is the world we live in, companies that has only generated losses are valued at billions of dollars.

all of this tidal hate is so hypocritical. the whiners are the same people who are gonna pay for apple & have no problem with it even tho its the same price.

im not a tidal fan but its obvious theres something against it. and the intentions of the artists are good. they want songwriters to be fairly paid and spotify earns millions off the backs of them. but of course people are okay with that (well, they're not. they're acting like we have to do something about it and go taylor swift on them BUT giving $10 to tidal to fix that problem is a no no..)