MDNA Setlist [SPOILERS] Latest rumors, leaks, news, etc...

rocksteady

Guest bluejean

I wonder if this show will appeal to casual fans. I mean apart from Vogue, Like a Prayer, Express Yourself and a short Papa Don't Preach everything else is either not a well known song or done in a way that's not very familiar.

I wonder if this show will appeal to casual fans. I mean apart from Vogue, Like a Prayer, Express Yourself and a short Papa Don't Preach everything else is either not a well known song or done in a way that's not very familiar.

I was thinking about this too. The opening section seems like something that the stans would enjoy, but might leave the casuals a bit puzzled. Of the 2 "big" songs in that section, 1 is destroyed w a vocoder & the other is very short. Besides burning the vocoder, I think that if she had at least added a song or two at the end-maybe a medley of Music/Holiday, she'd go out w a bang & the more casual fans would have that, rather than thinking they only knew 1 song in the last section. Instead, she's ending on a song that isn't that well known (neither was GI2M, although I think that song works better as a closer than Celebration).

As a side note, I really don't like the outfits in the last section. Why is she dressed in a knight outfit from the thrift store? :lol: Too tacky. The letters in the back just make it worse. :lol: Sometimes Arianne really misses the mark. I'm not feeling the hair throughout the show either, although I could live with the poof in the first section because it kind of goes w the '60s/Faster, Pussy Cat! Kill! Kill! kind of vibe.

I was thinking about this too. The opening section seems like something that the stans would enjoy, but might leave the casuals a bit puzzled. Of the 2 "big" songs in that section, 1 is destroyed w a vocoder & the other is very short. Besides burning the vocoder, I think that if she had at least added a song or two at the end-maybe a medley of Music/Holiday, she'd go out w a bang & the more casual fans would have that, rather than thinking they only knew 1 song in the last section. Instead, she's ending on a song that isn't that well known (neither was GI2M, although I think that song works better as a closer than Celebration).

I think you may be right, however if the visuals compensate for the lack of well known songs, it could keep people interested until the later part. I don't know why she changed "Hung Up" as that would really inject some nostalgia for a lot of fans. Oh well. I can see this tour getting the same kind of reviews as DWT...high marks for creativity but not as crowd-pleasing due to lack of hits.

As a side note, I really don't like the outfits in the last section. Why is she dressed in a knight outfit from the thrift store? :lol: Too tacky. The letters in the back just make it worse. :lol: Sometimes Arianne really misses the mark. I'm not feeling the hair throughout the show either, although I could live with the poof in the first section because it kind of goes w the '60s/Faster, Pussy Cat! Kill! Kill! kind of vibe.

I agree. I don't even get the outfit in the last section. It makes no sense. Why couldn't JPG do the entire show? Heck, get D&G back in there or something.

or she could just scrap the whole thing and do this:

ENJOY THE SHOW (WHEN YOU SEE IT) and stop critiquing it.

I think the show will be performed in a way that will leave casual fans WANTING to hear the new songs more and buying the new cd rather than being disappointed in not knowing everything.

We know about the whole show, but nothing about the intro has leaked...

According to Madonnarama:

Opening

Opens up with bells ringing, followed by religious chants by Kalakan. A very haunting sound.

Backdrop features a thurible with a light in it.

Girl Gone Wild

Starts with repetitions of “Oh my God” and Kalakan chants, then goes into the “Act of Contrition” intro, glass shatters and Madonna appears.

Drownedmadonna:

The opening of the show is amazing and Madonna's entrance is described as an enigma.

First you hear bells ringing, and than a prayer which is probably in Hebrew. Finally Girl Gone Wild starts. All we want to tell you - without ruining the anticipation - is that something big is moving from left to right.

UPDATE: There is the projection of a chathedral on the screens. When Girl Gone Wild begins, the screens are open and Madonna stands from behind. Before she enter there is a sound of glass broken. The screens are shine.

Guest bluejean

I think you may be right, however if the visuals compensate for the lack of well known songs, it could keep people interested until the later part. I don't know why she changed "Hung Up" as that would really inject some nostalgia for a lot of fans.

Well I don't think it would fit in that section if it were the original version.

I gotta say *I* don't have a problem with the lack of hits because I know all the songs being performed and love all these new arrangements of the classics. But I think using well known songs instead of Candy Shop, Human Nature and Celebration would have made more sense if she wants to appeal to the entire audience and not just the loons up the front.

Guest bluejean

Oh and I'm curious to know is 'Act of Contrition' actually using the singing parts from the 'Like a Prayer' album or is it just the spoken intro from 'Girl Gone Wild?'

Oh and I'm curious to know is 'Act of Contrition' actually using the singing parts from the 'Like a Prayer' album or is it just the spoken intro from 'Girl Gone Wild?'

I think the latter

or she could just scrap the whole thing and do this:

ENJOY THE SHOW (WHEN YOU SEE IT) and stop critiquing it.

:lol: The question was in regard to casual fans, not stans. I know every song on the set list. I have liked most of what I've seen & heard so far (save for what I already mentioned). I will likely enjoy & be slayed by this show. Will casual fans? I'm not sure one way or the other. As Nightshade mentioned, this show could end up being divisive like the DWT was (I loved that show, along w RIT & CT). If she added another hit or two at the end (it seems to end in some sort of "party," a la SST/GI2M), that would only help leave concertgoers in some sort of state of euphoria/nostalgia. :lol: That might sit well with casual fans (& some critics) since they'll feel they know more than just 1 song (LAP) in the last section. That might help leave a good last impression. As for myself, I'm looking forward to I'm Addicted, regardless if I'm one of only 10 people who know the song at the show (& even though she looks like she's wearing a glittery robe with socks on her arms & hideous rubber pants during that song).

Has this been posted ??

I don't know why the link doesn't appear !!!

Edited by Butter9

In fairness, casual fans that have went to her shows for the hits only have probably been disappointed since the GS. I'm sure there are people that go to her shows and think she's gonna come out in a wedding dress and writhe on the floor for LAV, put on the old Marilyn Monroe "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend" dress for MG and put on a cone bra for Vogue.....well.....see....she is thinking about them. ;) Call me selfish, but I really could care less how the casual fans feel when they leave the show. This show seems to have a lot of balls so I'm sure many casual fans will leave liking the new material and loving her even more. I love her defiant attitude towards her set lists and the fact that she's always heavy on her newest material. Imagine watching her past tours now and seeing LAV, MG, PDP, ITG, LAP and Vogue on ALL the tours. That would be so boring. I can't imagine a show like DWT with songs like ITG, Vogue and MG in it's set list. It's perfect as is and MDNA seems like it's going to be more that type of show.

Guest bluejean

Sticky and Sweet was VERY casual fan friendly imo. I think she's tried to do abit of that here but she obviously has more of an inclination toward creating ART this time around. I don't honestly feel bothered if casual fans don't like it, hopefully in Australia they'll hear how "shit" it is and not even bother going so I can get a front row centre view.

But I'm still interested to discuss it. MDNA is considered a flop and in the past a flop album inspired her to do a crowd pleasing show (Reinvention). Interesting that isn't the case this time.

In fairness, casual fans that have went to her shows for the hits only have probably been disappointed since the GS. I'm sure there are people that go to her shows and think she's gonna come out in a wedding dress and writhe on the floor for LAV, put on the old Marilyn Monroe "Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend" dress for MG and put on a cone bra for Vogue.....well.....see....she is thinking about them. ;) Call me selfish, but I really could care less how the casual fans feel when they leave the show. This show seems to have a lot of balls so I'm sure many casual fans will leave liking the new material and loving her even more. I love her defiant attitude towards her set lists and the fact that she's always heavy on her newest material. Imagine watching her past tours now and seeing LAV, MG, PDP, ITG, LAP and Vogue on ALL the tours. That would be so boring. I can't imagine a show like DWT with songs like ITG, Vogue and MG in it's set list. It's perfect as is and MDNA seems like it's going to be more that type of show.

I completely agree. I saw the Drowned World Tour Live in London and the whole show just blew me away. A tiny woman commanding the whole arena and she didn't need her hits to do that . It was Amazing .

This Tour seems so ballsy and gutsy. it's like she's not holding anything back. No matter what reservations people may have regarding MDNA this tour ( to me at least ) looks like a must-see.

As for casual fans . Well I think they will enjoy it. I mean 100 mil + enjoyed the Superbowl and this looks like same quality production-wise .

Guest bluejean

As for casual fans . Well I think they will enjoy it. I mean 100 mil + enjoyed the Superbowl and this looks like same quality production-wise .

Hmm, the Superbowl was filled with familiar songs. People like to hear what they know at a pop concert. I guess it will all depend just how amazing the visuals are. I mean I have no doubt the 1st section will leave everyone breathless.

Definitely no lyrics from act of contrition on LAP

Guest bluejean

Definitely no lyrics from act of contrition on LAP

Darn, that would have been amazing to open with that.

Sticky and Sweet was VERY casual fan friendly imo. I think she's tried to do abit of that here but she obviously has more of an inclination toward creating ART this time around. I don't honestly feel bothered if casual fans don't like it, hopefully in Australia they'll hear how "shit" it is and not even bother going so I can get a front row centre view.

But I'm still interested to discuss it. MDNA is considered a flop and in the past a flop album inspired her to do a crowd pleasing show (Reinvention). Interesting that isn't the case this time.

I agree about S&S, it was chock full of "classic" hits that the casuals would love. It's funny though, my friend who I would consider a casual fan, was complaining about there not being enough old stuff on S&S when I showed her the DVD. I really think there are fans out there that would be perfectly content with an all 80's show every time she hit the road. Now as much as I love her 80's work and consider a lot of it to be the best work she's ever done, the thought of an all 80's show kind of bores me. MAYBE a one off all 80's tour but even that is stretching it a bit and I HIGHLY doubt she would ever do that. A greatest hits tour in the future? Possibly. But an ALL 80's show? No. I look forward to the new stuff more than the old stuff anyways.

*poking erotica blu* She even realized nobody wanted to hear the AL songs live. Not only did the album "flop" commercially, but it generally wasn't received well by fans or critics. Comparing it commercially with other albums of it's era, it was a flop. So basically, from any angle you look at it, it was a flop. Even the NAME of the tour in support of it completely disassociates itself from the album. MDNA on the other hand was generally very well received by critics and fans and if you compare it's performance with all other albums released this year thus far it's among the top 10 selling in the world for the year. :sassy: While the sales angle could be argued (I guess), I'm sure she realizes most of her fans not only want, but DEMAND to see these songs performed on tour.

And just for you, here's to hoping for a couple "shit" reviews so you can be front row center. :)

I completely agree. I saw the Drowned World Tour Live in London and the whole show just blew me away. A tiny woman commanding the whole arena and she didn't need her hits to do that . It was Amazing .

This Tour seems so ballsy and gutsy. it's like she's not holding anything back. No matter what reservations people may have regarding MDNA this tour ( to me at least ) looks like a must-see.

:clap:

I'm so fortunate that I got to see DWT live. Now that I've attended the 3 tours that have since followed, I can say it was truly a unique Madonna concert experience...I suppose they all are in their own way, but DWT was just something else. I'll never forget how strange and almost eerie it was to be in an arena full of 25,000 people and it being seemingly dead silent at the start of Mer Girl and the thunderous applause when she did Holiday.

It seems MDNA should be at least a little more casual fan friendly. After all there is PDP, EY, Vogue, LAP, LAV, OYH and HU. Those aren't even minor hits, all of those are among her biggest classics. Although they are all reworked, when are they ever not on her shows? That goes waaaaay back to WTG tour days. This show looks to be such a feast for the eyes, with that plus the classics she is performing, I agree with you that the casuals should go home pretty satisfied.

2jyyvb.gif

So apparently this part is for Human Nature?

Yes it's Human Nature .