Titanic sub goes missing

The strongest possibility is an implosion as they found debris; it happened instantly, so they probably never realised.

I saw the inside of a dutch submarine. It looks so much more professional compared to the titan one..

(check the second video

https://news.sky.com/story/debris-field-discovered-within-search-area-near-titanic-us-coast-guard-says-12906735

what's fascinating is how eerie it is.. Depth/being all alone/losing communication..

there was a similar (but more positive) story that got almost no attention. a cook who worked on a ship who was the only survivor in a sunken ship; by rare chance, he found a place where the water didn't reach. he was there for almost a week and got SAVED. There's footage of it. 

1 hour ago, Nikki said:

The strongest possibility is an implosion as they found debris; it happened instantly, so they probably never realised.

I saw the inside of a dutch submarine. It looks so much more professional compared to the titan one..

(check the second video

https://news.sky.com/story/debris-field-discovered-within-search-area-near-titanic-us-coast-guard-says-12906735

what's fascinating is how eerie it is.. Depth/being all alone/losing communication..

there was a similar (but more positive) story that got almost no attention. a cook who worked on a ship who was the only survivor in a sunken ship; by rare chance, he found a place where the water didn't reach. he was there for almost a week and got SAVED. There's footage of it. 

I just hope they didn't realize .Even if it was out of vanity that ending is just very sad

2 hours ago, sotos8 said:

I just hope they didn't realize .Even if it was out of vanity that ending is just very sad

Apparently their deaths would have been as instantaneous as flicking a switch if it was due to a pressurised implosion.

To those wondering why there's been immense interest in this story, I think people are just bewildered by the stupidity of it all, and it's a particular kind of stupidity unique to only the extremely wealthy (see also Everest summit climbers). As massive inequality grows around the world, it's inconceivable to so many how these rich and privileged million/billionaires would gamble with their lives (and the life of their child in one instance) on something so foolish. Think of how $250,000 would change your life... and here are these people paying that amount to go 4km down in a cramped tin can with no regulatory safety oversights, controlled by an offbrand xbox controller. 

It's also a sign of the times we are living in as far as capitalism and tech bros are concerned. We are giving these people WAY too much power, and it is dangerous. The CEO of this submarine company has so many interviews where he bemoans safety regulations, saying that it is just government red tape that "hampers innovation." He only wanted to work with young engineers to "inspire them", meanwhile, experienced authorities in that field (including a former employee who was booted for raising concerns) were warning of the dangers of this particular submarine all along. We are capitulating to the wealthy way too much and it's not good for society and where this is all taking us, even for the wealthy people themselves. 

Really unfortunate news. If death was always the ultimate outcome, I think it better for this to have happened rather than sitting there for days wondering if and when you will die.

The legitimate scientists/explorers on board died doing what they loved and understood the risks. For the curious wealthy, they probably didn't really appreciate the risks despite signing waivers. We sometimes follow people who are knowledgeable and assume that all will be OK. A fatal mistake here.

This sort of risk taking in the name of accelerating innovation is not new and they do it because they can, operating at the fringe outside of mandated regulations. You can take risks that affect only yourself, but dragging others into it who couldn't possibly understand what could happen is wrong.

Some of the coverage of this is painting a simplified picture of the technical aspects which is annoying. People read Xbox controller and assume this fact makes it all dodgy, when in reality it is perfect for its purpose, with the US marines/military readily using such game controllers in their own submarines and other activities because they are intuitive to use making operation safer. The comparisons to well established and understood submarines, which are immensely different to these deep sea submersibles, only travelling down as deep as about 500 m (not 4000 m +), is also ridiculous. The key problem here is the lack of certified testing for the most important and critical aspect of the vessel, and that is the pressure test - absolutely crazy when you understand the consequence of not being sure is catastrophic, which any basic risk assessment would have shown and which should have been made explicitly clear to any passengers.

2 hours ago, San said:

Really unfortunate news. If death was always the ultimate outcome, I think it better for this to have happened rather than sitting there for days wondering if and when you will die.

The legitimate scientists/explorers on board died doing what they loved and understood the risks. For the curious wealthy, they probably didn't really appreciate the risks despite signing waivers. We sometimes follow people who are knowledgeable and assume that all will be OK. A fatal mistake here.

This sort of risk taking in the name of accelerating innovation is not new and they do it because they can, operating at the fringe outside of mandated regulations. You can take risks that affect only yourself, but dragging others into it who couldn't possibly understand what could happen is wrong.

Some of the coverage of this is painting a simplified picture of the technical aspects which is annoying. People read Xbox controller and assume this fact makes it all dodgy, when in reality it is perfect for its purpose, with the US marines/military readily using such game controllers in their own submarines and other activities because they are intuitive to use making operation safer. The comparisons to well established and understood submarines, which are immensely different to these deep sea submersibles, only travelling down as deep as about 500 m (not 4000 m +), is also ridiculous. The key problem here is the lack of certified testing for the most important and critical aspect of the vessel, and that is the pressure test - absolutely crazy when you understand the consequence of not being sure is catastrophic, which any basic risk assessment would have shown and which should have been made explicitly clear to any passengers.

Thanks for your posts San. You always look at all events both scientifically and with compassion.  

17 minutes ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Sorry everyone, what I meant to say is thoughts and prayers for the victims 🙏 especially the misunderstood scientific genius who is in no way responsible for any deaths #bekind

@Bitch I'm Christian  🥰 you have nothing to apologise for - this entire thread has been civil and respectful. No one has been vicious here. You always are thoughtful too. 

I have been shocked at social media in this event. People hoping they die from agonising deaths and expressing that wish over and over. I have become so disillusioned with social media lately.  I used to enjoy Twitter years back but it is just full of toxic people who seem to enjoy suffering with glee and no context. 

14 hours ago, Bitch I'm Christian said:

Apparently their deaths would have been as instantaneous as flicking a switch if it was due to a pressurised implosion.

To those wondering why there's been immense interest in this story, I think people are just bewildered by the stupidity of it all, and it's a particular kind of stupidity unique to only the extremely wealthy (see also Everest summit climbers). As massive inequality grows around the world, it's inconceivable to so many how these rich and privileged million/billionaires would gamble with their lives (and the life of their child in one instance) on something so foolish. Think of how $250,000 would change your life... and here are these people paying that amount to go 4km down in a cramped tin can with no regulatory safety oversights, controlled by an offbrand xbox controller. 

It's also a sign of the times we are living in as far as capitalism and tech bros are concerned. We are giving these people WAY too much power, and it is dangerous. The CEO of this submarine company has so many interviews where he bemoans safety regulations, saying that it is just government red tape that "hampers innovation." He only wanted to work with young engineers to "inspire them", meanwhile, experienced authorities in that field (including a former employee who was booted for raising concerns) were warning of the dangers of this particular submarine all along. We are capitulating to the wealthy way too much and it's not good for society and where this is all taking us, even for the wealthy people themselves. 

Totally agree with what you say. 

And I understand what you mean, @San, but in the end, I'd be curious to see how it was "science" related. It looked more like an wealthy ego-trip to me. I might be wrong, though. 

In the end, all this story is pretty sad. We say they probably didn't suffered and I hope for them it's true.

1 hour ago, runa said:

Totally agree with what you say. 

And I understand what you mean, @San, but in the end, I'd be curious to see how it was "science" related. It looked more like an wealthy ego-trip to me. I might be wrong, though. 

In the end, all this story is pretty sad. We say they probably didn't suffered and I hope for them it's true.

I'm not saying this was a science expedition, but that there were three people on board who study the titanic and/or explore the ocean depths generally, all dying doing what they love and are passionate about. They would be clear on the risks as this was their life's work. I doubt the other two 'tourists' had any idea of how imminently dangerous this was.

22 hours ago, Jazzy Jan said:

@Bitch I'm Christian  🥰 you have nothing to apologise for - this entire thread has been civil and respectful. No one has been vicious here. You always are thoughtful too. 

I have been shocked at social media in this event. People hoping they die from agonising deaths and expressing that wish over and over. I have become so disillusioned with social media lately.  I used to enjoy Twitter years back but it is just full of toxic people who seem to enjoy suffering with glee and no context. 

IMO, I think the social media frenzy stems from the "eat the rich" movement with general population having no sympathy at all to the rich people. 

4 hours ago, xtaticboy82 said:

IMO, I think the social media frenzy stems from the "eat the rich" movement with general population having no sympathy at all to the rich people. 

Well… if only it translated into elections. 

If you've acquired wealth then I think you should spend it on what you want to.

What I wouldn't have done, is spend it on a submersible trip to the Titanic in a device that looks like it was knocked up in a backyard. One look at that, and its control systems and lack of emergency support and I would have walked away. 

On 6/24/2023 at 3:09 AM, nightcutter said:

If you've acquired wealth then I think you should spend it on what you want to.

What I wouldn't have done, is spend it on a submersible trip to the Titanic in a device that looks like it was knocked up in a backyard. One look at that, and its control systems and lack of emergency support and I would have walked away. 

+1, except for hunting endangered species. I think that's vile and the wealthy who do that should get shot in the face.

Stockton Rush was an idiot who didn't value safety and human life. He was a confidence man and told people what they wanted to hear in order to get them on his shitty sub. After taking a bunch of money from them, of course.

I feel sorry for everyone except him.