New album: all tracks shelved, now restarting from scratch, release date is 2024

Take this with a grain of salt, but back when DAD was on the charts, I had an acquaintance that was tight with a DJ at my local Top 40 station. Although DAD got decent airplay, it was the first single released since the very successful run of Music singles and it didn't quite match up to the airplay success of DTM. Madonna at that time + Bond seemingly equalled huge hit. My friend asked the DJ why they weren't giving DAD as many spins and he flat out said that (in so many words) because she's old, all the while saying what a kick ass song he thought DAD was. Nothing we didn't already know, but still it was interesting to hear a first hand account vs internet talk. That was 12 years ago and radio is even more corrupt now. She almost HAS to do something like a radio deal or duet etc If she wants airplay. No matter how kick ass, groundbreaking the song is, as far as US radio goes it really is an uphill battle.

Sad but true.

It has always happened, Madonna isn't the first. And sadly, it especially happens with women. The same with actresses. Women are only "interesting" for art while they are young and beautiful, art is simply mysogynist.

It has happened always, and all over the world, not only US.

And teenagers want somebody to identify with, and when we were teenagers we did the same. How many female singers above 40yo were famous when we were teenagers? Tina Turner was called "the grandma of rock" when i was a kid, and she was like 40. Cher was like ANCIENT and she was in her early 40s. And that's all.

Thanks to Madonna, things have changed a lot. Nobody calls old Jennifer Lopez, for example, but Madonna was called old when she was her age. Madonna is opening new paths. Few people say that Kylie is very old, even though she's older as Madonna was when she released Hung Up.

Guest whatatramp

Who cares. Let's talk about the album. Rumor has it Khia is featured on Messiah

DON'T PLAY WITH MY EMOTIONS WHOOP :dramatic:

I want Iraqi Terror Bride for next era!!! <<<<< THIS.

ew no thanks, I think middle easterners have been vilified and belittled enough

I don't.

Hell I don't even include DAD cuz that track doesn't appear on my copy of the album; it's a one-off, like Beautiful Stranger. DAD was James Bond soundtrack. AL was the first single, so we have 3 for that era.

How does it not appear on your copy of the album? Is it a faulty copy...?? DADay was recorded during the AL sessions and Madonna confirmed in October 2002 that it was going to appear on her "new album". It could be argued that "Live To Tell" wasn't from TB, since it was originally written for "At Close Range" and appeared in the film before TB was released. "Masterpiece" wasn't originally going to appear on MDNA, but Madonna changed her mind and added it to the tracklist, even though it had already appeared in W./E. The point I'm trying to make is that DADay's appearance in DADay isn't proof that it shouldn't be considered part of the AL era. As I said before, Madonna herself confirmed nearly six months before the album was released that it would appear on it. This is definitely not an "American Pie" situation.

Has the music ever been bad?

Even if the foods bad, you still eat it to satisfy your hunger.

Madonna's mac n cheese is just as good as her coq au vin. I'll take anything and everything!

Madonna

REBEL HEART

November 2014

The promotion strategy has leaked!

October 2014 - first single, "Rebel Heart" [video directed by Mert & Marcus]

November 2014 - REBEL HEART album launch

December 2014 - UK X Factor performance ("Rebel Heart" and "Living for Love")

December / January 2014 - 2nd single, "Living for Love" launch [video directed by Jean-Baptiste Mondino]

February 2014 - REBEL HEART 2015 WORLD TOUR launch in Australia

Oh Suede... if only! :wow:

US chart experts, I have a question. How possible would it be for M to ever have a Believe-esque hit like Cher had in her 50s? (Assuming the song was amazing) How has the landscape changed since then to make it more or less of a possibility?

I was actually going to mention "Believe" when Kurt said that DAD didn't get as much airplay because she was "old." Just three years earlier, "Believe" was the #1 song in the country. Not to mention "Music" and "Don't Tell Me" were only a year and half before DAD! I guess the line in 2002 was... 44? I don't think people like DAD very much. It did as well as it did because it was Madonna and James Bond.

DAD got less airplay because it was not as good as the previous singles. Besides, r'n'b was starting to be massive. Later on she was heavily critisized for her AL era, and afterwards songs like the ones in Confessions didn't have a place in USA radios.

Maybe now it's the age. I doubt that DAD was about age.

US chart experts, I have a question. How possible would it be for M to ever have a Believe-esque hit like Cher had in her 50s? (Assuming the song was amazing) How has the landscape changed since then to make it more or less of a possibility?

for a worldwide smash, madonna has no problems with that. all she needs is a good single. but for usa alone, i think it would be a very very difficult task because of the airplay as well as youtube views and streaming. she would have no problem sales wise. the only way i can think of now that could make it a hot 100 no.1 hit is if the song goes viral, and of course the song has to be very good. compared to the believe era, i think this is how the pure luck factor has changed.

Pop was huge when Believe charted. Same time as Brinney, Nsynck etc.

At the time, Believe was probably more dance than pop tho. Plus Believe's massive success for Cher was unprecedented at the time. What made it ok for then to suddenly play a 53 (?) yr old woman so much on US radio? Has it been replicated since? If not, why not?

for a worldwide smash, madonna has no problems with that. all she needs is a good single. but for usa alone, i think it would be a very very difficult task because of the airplay as well as youtube views and streaming. she would have no problem sales wise. the only way i can think of now that could make it a hot 100 no.1 hit is if the song goes viral, and of course the song has to be very good. compared to the believe era, i think this is how the pure luck factor has changed.

:thumbsup:

Wasn't Believe such a big worldwide hit that it made US take notice? Same with Kylie's CGYOOMH?

That's still very typical for the US. Royals by Lorde, Pompeii by Bastille or Latch by Disclosure are all great examples of the delay that US charts suffer of, usually it's the matter of months but sometimes it takes even a year to become a US hit, although it's mostly new artists outside the US. I can't see a song by Madonna taking a year to enter the top 10 of Hot 100. It's either an instant it or a flop nowadays :D

That's still very typical for the US. Royals by Lorde, Pompeii by Bastille or Latch by Disclosure are all great examples of the delay that US charts suffer of, usually it's the matter of months but sometimes it takes even a year to become a US hit, although it's mostly new artists outside the US. I can't see a song by Madonna taking a year to enter the top 10 of Hot 100. It's either an instant it or a flop nowadays :D

So true. The same with Lights from Ellie Goulding, I think it became a hit in the US after almost two years of it being released.

Guest eroticerotic

who wanted a fake track list! ??

here's mine :p

1. Unapologetic
  2. Inside Out
  3. Rebel Heart
  4. No Surrender
  5. Iconic
  6. Holy Water
  7. Messiah
  8. Like A Vision
  9. I Can't Wait
  10. Between The Bars
  11. On Earth As It Is In Heaven
  12. Living For Love
  13. Veni Vidi Vici
Bonus Tracks:
  1. Bitch I'm Madonna
  2. Boom
  3. Body Shop
  4. House Work
Edited by eroticerotic

Cher is an american darling, "Believe" was a good song, she still looked "normal" for US ageist standards, it was pre illegal download, all gays loved it and made it into a huge hit requesting on radio. Remember that back in the late 90's the only way to listen to a new single was in the radio, unless you wanted to buy the actual single physical CD and carry it with you everywhere.

Times have changed, ageism is stronger these days, everything is a lot faster and more forgettable. Madonna will have to have a really good 1st single and work really hard to make it relevant, but in the end it all goes back to the timelessness of the song, from Madonna people expect anthems and that's what she has to deliver to make it to number 1.

I personally don't care about US charts, I live in Brazil and Hung up was a huge hit here as 4 minutes and even The Beat Goes On (the unreleased demo) played a lot. COADF was really a hit here, HC too so I care about good songs, but they taste better when they are in everyone's mouths.

Wasn't Believe such a big worldwide hit that it made US take notice? Same with Kylie's CGYOOMH?

That's what I've always thought too. Wasn't it a hit in 1998 everywhere else in the world? I don't remember it really peaking in the US until Spring 1999.

Too bad the same thing didn't happen with HU.

Don't forget the fact that when songs peak later in the US the respective artists usually promote them. Madonna would not do live performances of a single on TV shows a year later, because the US did not give a shit when the song was originally released :D

• Unapologetic
  • Inside Out
  • Rebel Heart
  • No Surrender
  • Iconic
  • Holy Water
  • Messiah
  • Like A Vision
  • I Can't Wait
  • Between The Bars
  • On Earth As It Is In Heaven
  • Living For Love
  • Veni Vidi Vici

Bonus Tracks:

• Bitch I'm Madonna
  • Boom
  • Body Shop
  • House Work
Great list! House Work lol I can picture the D&G photo of her scrubbing the floor as the single pic haha!

1. Unapologetic
  2. Inside Out
  3. Rebel Heart
  4. No Surrender
  5. Iconic
  6. Holy Water
  7. Messiah
  8. Like A Vision
  9. I Can't Wait
  10. Between The Bars
  11. On Earth As It Is In Heaven
  12. Living For Love
  13. Veni Vidi Vici
Bonus Tracks:
  1. Bitch I'm Madonna
  2. Boom
  3. Body Shop
  4. House Work

Love it but bitch please - stay away from my throne! Everyone knows I'm the Queen of Fake Tracklists ;)

Where is the clackaclack track? Why are you all forgetting that? :(

Babe, that's "The Naaaaaa Song". It currently lies on the cutting room floor alongside 6 other tracks from the MIA sessions in 2012, 3 tracks from the Natalia Kills sessions and of course at least 105 hours' worth of footage from The MDNA Tour. :(