Titanic sub goes missing

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65953941

- The Coast Guard is searching for 5-person crew aboard submersible that went missing on dive to Titanic wreck

- The vessel lost contact with its mother ship an hour and 45 minutes after its dive began Sunday, the Coast Guard said

And just like the Titanic itself - it was marketed as 100% safe and drew some of the world's richest to their deaths. It's really ridiculous. :crazy:

2 hours ago, Supernatural said:

5 people in that cramped space in such a stressful situation.... 

I doubt they suffered at all.  It would be great if they survived, but not likely.  I admire people who are so adventurous, but that risk factor isn't for me (of course the $250,000 gets in the way for me too).

Titanic Sub Missing: Billionaire Passenger’s Stepson Defends Attending Blink-182 Show During Search

The stepson of British billionaire Hamish Harding believes Blink-182 will get him through "life's toughest times."

Brian Szasz spoke out on social media to defend his decision to attend a Blink-182 concert amid a high-stakes rescue mission to find his stepfather, as well as four other passengers, onboard the missing Titanic submersible.

"Yes I went to @blink-182 last night," Szasz, an audio engineer based in San Diego, wrote on his Instagram Stories June 20 alongside a photo of him at the venue. "What am I supposed to do sit at home and watch the news? Not sorry this band has helped me through hard times since 1998."

The 37-year-old shared news of his outing on Facebook June 19, according to screenshots obtained by multiple outlets, where he wrote, "It might be distasteful being here but my family would want me to be at the blink-182 show as it's my favorite band and music helps me in difficult times!"

He later deleted the post, noting that his mom Linda "asked me to delete all related posts. Thanks for the support."

Meanwhile, on Twitter, Szasz expressed his gratitude to Blink-182 band members Tom DeLonge, Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus.

"My stepdad Hamish is on this submarine lost at sea," Szasz tweeted. "I'm devastated but coming to the San Diego show tonight so you guys can give me hope and cheer me up."

11 hours ago, MadFan said:

And just like the Titanic itself - it was marketed as 100% safe and drew some of the world's richest to their deaths. It's really ridiculous. :crazy:

I don't think it was seen as 100% safe, though. The word DEATH is written 3 times on the 1st contract page. 

I might sound insensitive, but when I see all the public ressources it needs to try to find them, I find this truly infuriating. We all pay for 5 multi-millionaires in search of excitment. :rolleyes:

Did these people sign their lives away and pay $250,000 without taking all the extra precautions in the world, just to get dropped at the bottom of the ocean in that windowless thing so they can watch the titanic through a video camera?

1 hour ago, Supernatural said:

"It might be distasteful being here but my family would want me to be at the blink-182 show as it's my favorite band and music helps me in difficult times!"

OF COURSE he should've attended the concert  :lol:

Staying home wouldn't have effected the search in any way.

The technology was so innovative that it was navigated by an Xbox controller and had no windows. :crazy:  These people are goners.

2 hours ago, MadFan said:

The technology was so innovative that it was navigated by an Xbox controller and had no windows. :crazy:  These people are goners.

It's surprising that people with so much money sometimes can be so stupid. If you are doing this kind of risky "adventure" don't you check previously the history of the company you are signing your life to?

Weird that the submarine was …. uhm is…. called Titan 🤨

I feel claustrophobic already just thinking about it 

everyone should spend the money the way they want to but like who wants to see a stupid ugly shipwreck?? 

They’ve apparently got one more day with the amount of oxygen… I hope they’re found 

2 hours ago, MadFan said:

It may seem simplistic to you to put people down at those depths without being crushed to death and to be able to communicate, but it just isn't. Countering hydrostatic pressure is unfathomably complex and any microscopic defect in the pressure seal of a vessel would be catastrophic. You laugh about windows, but it would be an absolutely game-changing technological feat to be able to accomplish our idea of a tourist vessel that can view the depths of the ocean. The xbox controller for purposes other than gaming is not new or unique to this vessel - it is quite versatile and useful.

I really hope they can find them. What an unimaginable horror to die this way.

The non-stop coverage of this miscellaneous news since monday is appalling. Extremely wealthy people, looking for big thrills to occupy their life of privilege, to live their “best life”, pay a fortune and sign a contract indicating repeatedly the risks of death of the expedition. therefore, they knew the risks and will have to “live” with the disastrous consequences. There are no martyrdoms here (except maybe the 19-year-old son who should have been protected by his father and not dragged by him to his death). If the news and social medias searches real martyrs, they can talk about the poor migrants drowning every week without any media coverage and in complete indifference. But that won't happen because they are POOR.

2 hours ago, Beastialg said:

It's surprising that people with so much money sometimes can be so stupid. If you are doing this kind of risky "adventure" don't you check previously the history of the company you are signing your life to?

it's not that surprising. when you spend such an indecent amount of money for a half-day expedition, you imagine that the mere fact of being able to pay this amount of money guarantees you automatically a premium and safe service.

1 hour ago, San said:

It may seem simplistic to you to put people down at those depths without being crushed to death and to be able to communicate, but it just isn't. Countering hydrostatic pressure is unfathomably complex and any microscopic defect in the pressure seal of a vessel would be catastrophic. You laugh about windows, but it would be an absolutely game-changing technological feat to be able to accomplish our idea of a tourist vessel that can view the depths of the ocean. The xbox controller for purposes other than gaming is not new or unique to this vessel - it is quite versatile and useful.

I really hope they can find them. What an unimaginable horror to die this way.

Jokes aside about the Xbox controller and windows (which I understand would be a huge feat given the need for titanium), this vessel was not fit for purpose, and was criticized from within OceanGate and by the wider marine regulatory body, and these concerns were all ignored. Yes I hope they are found and I feel most sorry for the poor 19 year old boy whose father brought him on this death trap.

"The separate warning that OceanGate received that same year came from 38 experts in the submersible craft industry; all of them were members of the Manned Underwater Vehicles committee of the Marine Technology Society, a 60-year-old industry group that promotes, studies and teaches the public about ocean technology. The experts wrote in their letter to Mr. Rush that they had “unanimous concern” about the way the Titan had been developed, and about the planned missions to the Titanic wreckage.

The letter said that OceanGate’s marketing of the Titan had been “at minimum, misleading” because it claimed that the submersible would meet or exceed the safety standards of a risk assessment company known as DNV, even though the company had no plans to have the craft formally certified by the agency.

“Their plan of not following classification guidelines was considered very risky,” Will Kohnen, the chairman of the committee, said in an interview on Tuesday.

The industry leaders said in their letter that OceanGate should, at minimum, test its prototypes under the watch of DNV or another leading certification company.

“While this may demand additional time and expense,” the signatories wrote, “it is our unanimous view that this validation process by a third-party is a critical component in the safeguards that protect all submersible occupants.”

6 hours ago, Martin B. said:

The non-stop coverage of this miscellaneous news since monday is appalling. Extremely wealthy people, looking for big thrills to occupy their life of privilege, pay a fortune and sign a contract indicating repeatedly the risks of death of the expedition. therefore, they knew the risks and will have to “live” with the disastrous consequences. There are no martyrdoms here (except maybe the 19-year-old son who should have been protected by his father and not dragged by him to his death). If the news and social medias searches real martyrs, they can talk about the poor migrants drowning every week without any media coverage and in complete indifference. But that won't happen because they are POOR.

I understand the appealing of this tragedy in news coverage but still I agree with you. 

THOUSANDS of migrants die in the Mediterranean sending help singns and governments don’t send rescue teams. That will not pop up in our Twitter feed. Just last Thursday hundreds died, most pregnant women and little children in front of Greece coasts.

It is so clear we live in District One of the Hunger Games. We only cover rich people tragedies.

Imagine being in that situation.  It would be so terrifying - just laying there at the bottom of the ocean knowing you are going to die unless some miracle happens and someone can save you.  I feel terrified and stressed even thinking about it. 

4 hours ago, karbatal said:

I understand the appealing of this tragedy in news coverage but still I agree with you. 

THOUSANDS of migrants die in the Mediterranean sending help singns and governments don’t send rescue teams. That will not pop up in our Twitter feed. Just last Thursday hundreds died, most pregnant women and little children in front of Greece coasts.

It is so clear we live in District One of the Hunger Games. We only cover rich people tragedies.

THIS

5 hours ago, karbatal said:

If widely reported more people would be invested or empathize with those stories as well I guess.

However I think this has become so big not because the protagonists are wealthy but mainly because it's not something that happens frequently and it's linked to a very well known disaster.  And it's a bit of an absurd situation. $250000 a seat in a device controlled with an Xbox pad ffs. I think it would still be all over the news if it was a group of students on a budget with a homemade device.

37 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

If widely reported more people would be invested or empathize with those stories as well I guess.

However I think this has become so big not because the protagonists are wealthy but mainly because it's not something that happens frequently and it's linked to a very well known disaster.  And it's a bit of an absurd situation. $250000 a seat in a device controlled with an Xbox pad ffs. I think it would still be all over the news if it was a group of students on a budget with a homemade device.

Yes of course it is pure news material: Titanic + countdown to lack of oxygen equals big news coverage.

40 minutes ago, Je5u5 said:

Also, the most appealing factor I guess it's the mistery linked to it, everyone is wondering what actually happened to this sub, are these people still alive and if not, how did they die.