Madonna NYC Pride thread

speaking of social media, she got a few tweets with like 50k RTS/favs saying how important she is for the gay community. I really hope she'll give an amazing performance

14 minutes ago, Andra said:

And don't u ever forget it.

Love that clip.

A Paula, Whitney, Janet etc NEVER would've been that brave. This was 1991......the look on the interviewers face once the conversation turns to homophobia being a "problem", like someone just took a shit in the room really says it all. Like how dare she think that homophobia is a *gasp* problem!! 

It's funny that she's STILL on that same crusade almost 30 yrs later.

15 minutes ago, cocolattee said:

"this is Madonna on a one-woman crusade to change the world?"

"........Yeah! Yeah, it is"

ICONIC

She did and she made it happen! Look around us!

This, we will never forget!

I love her so much in that clip. She's just so spontaneous and TRUE to herself. She's always been about diversity and she's always been our biggest ally and don't you froget it. 

There's another clip from that era where she says she finds the idea of two men 'sexy' and 'erotic and I think the interviewer is clearly a closet case or something.. can someone find it? It might actually be from EROTICA era. 

31 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

I was just thinking that if she just replaced Future with God Control, it would be a good setlist to do Vogue, American Life and I Rise (Remix).

And throw in I don’t search I find 

3 hours ago, Monsieur X said:

I love her so much in that clip. She's just so spontaneous and TRUE to herself. She's always been about diversity and she's always been our biggest ally and don't you froget it. 

There's another clip from that era where she says she finds the idea of two men 'sexy' and 'erotic and I think the interviewer is clearly a closet case or something.. can someone find it? It might actually be from EROTICA era. 

not sure if this is what you're referring to, but she said something similar to jane pratt in 1995. jane doesn't come off as homophobic though (the question is at 18:33): 

Many of us will never forget hearing Madonna constantly defending gay people when it was usually career suicide at the time. For a teenaged gay kid to hear anyone in a prominent position (let alone the most famous person in the world at the time) say the things she said was life-changing. She risked everything and she didn't care about whether it would make her unpopular. The ignorant questions and shit she had to put up with were unbelievable. She let us know someone had our backs and that there was a life for us and we could have a happy lives, I will never forget it. 

1 minute ago, Simo9jo said:

Many of us will never forget hearing Madonna constantly defending gay people when it was usually career suicide at the time. For a teenaged gay kid to hear anyone in a prominent position (let alone the most famous person in the world at the time) say the things she said was life-changing. She risked everything and she didn't care about whether it would make her unpopular. The ignorant questions and shit she had to put up with were unbelievable. She let us know someone had our backs and that there was a life for us and we could have a happy lives, I will never forget it. 

Agreed 100% word for word!!

4 minutes ago, Simo9jo said:

Amen 

5 minutes ago, Simo9jo said:

👍🏻👍🏻 So true

Acceptance has moved so quickly that guess some younger generation don't t recognize how important Madonna was when she spoke out. 

51 minutes ago, Nick said:

Acceptance has moved so quickly that guess some younger generation don't t recognize how important Madonna was when she spoke out. 

Well, the younger generation doesn't recognize anything that happened before they were born. Some say it has always been that way and that's true. But it seems more extreme nowadays.

Because my husband is considerably younger than I am, I do find myself preaching to his gay friends why Madonna is one of the LGBTQ community's greatest ally.   It's really sad that so many do not have a frame of reference and actually believe people like Gaga or Taylor did more,  when none of these artists put themselves out on a limb as much as Madonna did at the height of the AIDS epidemic.   But it's not even the ignorance that bothers me, it's the disrespect.   

Truth or Dare was huge. Showing that to the world was one of the bravest things any famous person has ever done to this day...the reactions in the theater were so intense in New Jersey (I can’t even imagine what it was like other places)...especially the men heavily kissing. We still don’t see that much to this day. They usually cut away very quickly or don’t show it at all. 

The disrespect comes from ignorance, and Madonna is an easy target for hate...she has been from the beginning, but especially when she was “promoting deviant lifestyles.” Especially, as others have mentioned, during the AIDs crisis. 

30 minutes ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Well, the younger generation doesn't recognize anything that happened before they were born. Some say it has always been that way and that's true. But it seems more extreme nowadays.

i don't think it's always been that way, at least in my generation (i'm 39). all of my friends listened to music from decades past when i was growing up. we knew the artists who paved the way for our faves. and we didn't have youtube and spotify at our disposal. we went out and bought CDs and borrowed records. we sought out books about the artists we liked and learned about what they did and why they were important. maybe my friends and i were just in the minority and didn't know it? at the very least, the gays knew who paved the way for madonna. so i don't know why it's different today.

1 hour ago, Nick said:

The bulk of those interviews were nearly 30 years ago, she was promoting acceptance in the 80s even...it hasn’t been that fast moving unfortunately . In the past 10 years it has moved very quickly. 

I think it’s difficult for young people to imagine how hostile things were. No famous people were out really, gay people weren’t really even defending gay people openly. I think many young people can imagine it. 

Sorry for bringing this post by @boy skeffington from the previous thread. 

It seemed to start with the Prince tribute. I can understand not liking a performance...but since BET had a commercial directly attacking her bought/created to run immediately following her performance, I knew the tide was never going to be in her favor again. And it’s been the same outage ever since. 

I also thought the Univision performance was immaculately staged and compelling ...even if your argument is the vocals. 

No one is bashed harder, in my opinion. 

Apart from some usual, expected dismissive comments, I don't recall a major backlash to her "Medellín" performance at BBMA. On YouTube, the live performance has even higher views than the song itself (the audio upload). 

But whatever. If some fans want to believe that she is totally not capable of giving something that could be well-received at this point of her career, so be it.