Gene Simmons calls Madonna 'iconic' in Esquire interview

HarleyQuinn

what the fuck? joan rivers is only known in the US for being a comedian. not to disrespect her or anything but Bjork musically and visually brought new things to the table. her app alone is a huge inspiration to others and is still being discussed. some people :o

That's what I thought. No hits. Thanks for playing. ;)

Btw, I haven't seen anyone here discrediting Bjork, but you discrediting the opinions of Americans, shows your own ignorance, insecurity, and stupidity. I've been a fan of Bjork since she was with the Sugercubes. Were you even born then?

That's what you've been doing in your previous posts dumbass. Also calm down with your fucking attitude, you don't even have 25 posts and you're already starting shit. You won't last long if you keep doing it.

I wrote that before I saw your post. I'm not discrediting Americans I just know a lot of you guys think the world begins at Rhode Island and ends in Seattle. It is also OBVIOUS that she is more famous elsewhere than in the States. It's like Kylie. Virtually a no one in America but has achieved a lot of success elsewhere. How does that make me insecure :lmao:

Woohoo you're older than me. Well done. Has the Queen sent you a telegraph yet?

Doesn't that prove Bjork's iconic status, an artists that's been around for so long still reaches a younger following. If you go in the Bjork thread you will see members commenting even younger than I am.

these newbs Chelle...I swear.... :doh:

IVE HEARD IT ALL!!! Fuck me will somebody flush???

Ive been to see Bjork in Iceland and even the prime minister was there!!! What planet are you from?

Bjork isn't famous Barney! Get over it :dead:

Even her bloody fight in the airport is iconic.

ALL OF THIS.

This thread became a pure delusional mess. And the newbies REALLY need to stop being so bitchy and condescending, it's not a good attitude to have when you start posting on a forum.

Guest Rachelle of London

I think the most pathetic thing I've read in my entire time of posting on Madonna nation is:

"If she died she wouldn't get the amount of coverage Joan Rivers got"

Jeez

I think the most pathetic thing I've read in my entire time of posting on Madonna nation is:

"If she died she wouldn't get the amount of coverage Joan Rivers got"

Jeez

Im chain smoking. Somebody pass me flame thrower.

In order to be a worldwide icon, conquering America is a must! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say even Kylie is more known than Bjork here. I'm no doubting or discrediting anyone claiming Bjork is some sort of icon in their country. I mean fuck, I suppose Ronald McDonald is an icon so why not Bjork? Lol I can only say that she's not in the US and I wouldn't place her with the legendary icons like Madonna or Elvis because well......her impact hasn't been anywhere near that.

In order to be a worldwide icon, conquering America is a must! I'm gonna go out on a limb and say even Kylie is more known than Bjork here. I'm no doubting or discrediting anyone claiming Bjork is some sort of icon in their country. I mean fuck, I suppose Ronald McDonald is an icon so why not Bjork? Lol I can only say that she's not in the US and I wouldn't place her with the legendary icons like Madonna or Elvis because well......her impact hasn't been anywhere near that.

You really seem to have a very limited idea of what an icon is. I suppose Kate Bush is not an icon either since she never conquered America.

You really seem to have a very limited idea of what an icon is. I suppose Kate Bush is not an icon either since she never conquered America.

To me an icon is someone who has mass impact. Like I said, it should be an exclusive term. It seems to me some consider anyone with some longevity as a world renowned icon.

For years at MNation we've gone on about Janet, Kylie etc being LOCAL STARS.......how about a new term, LOCAL ICON! :) Can we call Bjork a LOCAL icon? And btw in America Kate Bush isn't an icon either. I said the Debbie comments in jest for the most part, but there is truth in saying she is more well known in the US and she REALLY DID start a bit of a fashion trend with the young girls in the late 80's.......sadly, I'm ancient enough to remember! :)

To me an icon is someone who has mass impact. Like I said, it should be an exclusive term. It seems to me some consider anyone with some longevity as a world renowned icon.

For years at MNation we've gone on about Janet, Kylie etc being LOCAL STARS.......how about a new term, LOCAL ICON! :) Can we call Bjork a LOCAL icon? And btw in America Kate Bush isn't an icon either. I said the Debbie comments in jest for the most part, but there is truth in saying she is more well known in the US and she REALLY DID start a bit of a fashion trend with the young girls in the late 80's.......sadly, I'm ancient enough to remember! :)

And that's the case for Bjork. As i said, just because she's not on the top of the charts all the time doesn't mean she's not an icon. She's been extremely influential all over the world for two decades now. You see my point? She's actually been more influential than a lot of artists who had commercial success in America :thumbsup:

Also the word "local" lost it's true meaning. You're only "local" when you had success in only one country. It wasn't the case for Janet a long time ago, she was successful all over the world (can't stand the bitch but unfortunately that's the truth...). Kylie is another story.

And it's quite sad to think that Debbie Gibson had any kind of impact, even minor. But she's clearly nothing compared to Bjork or even Janet (who's pretty much a nobody by now, the Superbowl really killed her career).

Guest Rachelle of London

I stopped reading from there

Look to be fair, what is the problem people have with American people not thinking that Bjork is an icon. If she is not famous in the USA, why would they consider her an icon. It does not mean they dislike her or are rubbishing her. Different artists are more popular in different countries. I would suspect that a lot of members in Europe would not consider some of the USA's country and western superstar singers to be icons while some American members would probably do so. I really don't think this is a big issue. What I now know through this thread is the meaning of the word Icon is different to a lot of people and I think that is really what is causing the confusion.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

So a Playboy model is considered an icon? Never heard of her. Now Anna Nicole Smith and Pamela Anderson are prob Playboy icons. Not this one.

I was being ironic.

But Wal-Mart is definitely an icon.

Guest Rachelle of London

Look to be fair, what is the problem people have with American people not thinking that Bjork is an icon. If she is not famous in the USA, why would they consider her an icon. It does not mean they dislike her or are rubbishing her. Different artists are more popular in different countries. I would suspect that a lot of members in Europe would not consider some of the USA's country and western superstar singers to be icons while some American members would probably do so. I really don't think this is a big issue. What I now know through this thread is the meaning of the word Icon is different to a lot of people and I think that is really what is causing the confusion.

Fair enough but completely disputing that she would be considered an icon ANYWHERE even in her own country is just silly. Its like when people say Madonna hasnt had a number one in 14 years blah blah blah. Thats not true, thats only in the States. I think people need to realise that there are countries outside of their own. Kenny Rogers is a famous singer in the States, why would I feel the need as a Brit to say "well hes not that famous in the UK so hes not famous" I wouldnt even do that. Some of the responses (I'm not referring to Kurts at all) have been damn right silly.

The world is massive and doesn't consist of one country. Nor does that country's relevance trump others.

Well in disco fries it does.

i·con
ˈīˌkän/
noun
  1. 1.
    a painting of Jesus Christ or another holy figure, typically in a traditional style on wood, venerated and used as an aid to devotion in the Byzantine and other Eastern Churches.
  2. 2.
    a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.
    "this iron-jawed icon of American manhood"
    synonyms: idol, paragon, hero, heroine; More

Anything or anyone can be an icon as long as it symbolizes something.

Gaga is an icon of false victimhood.

Bjork is a hipster icon.

Anna Nicole Smith is a Playboy icon.

Twinkies are a junk food icon.

Honey Boo Boo is a white trash icon.

JazzyJan is an icon of bullying.

OK 1 last thing, I know Bjork isn't mainstream. I also don't want to have the EY/Born this way thrown in my face, but So many people have tried to imitate or been influenced by Bjork its unbelievable. Ill name 1 song off the top of my head 'Hyperballad' Everybody has had a bash at re-creating it. Even M. It was so influential, just that 1 song.

Vespertine has been tried by others too, Bjork was doing dubstep, hard house remixes, world music and jungle with Goldie when I left school, they were playing it when I went to Ibiza to celebrate my exams and im 20,000 years old.

OK 1 last thing, I know Bjork isn't mainstream. I also don't want to have the EY/Born this way thrown in my face, but So many people have tried to imitate or been influenced by Bjork its unbelievable. Ill name 1 song off the top of my head 'Hyperballad' Everybody has had a bash at re-creating it. Even M. It was so influential, just that 1 song.

Vespertine has been tried by others too, Bjork was doing dubstep, hard house remixes, world music and jungle with Goldie when I left school, they were playing it when I went to Ibiza to celebrate my exams and in 20000 years old.

I agree.

Fair enough but completely disputing that she would be considered an icon ANYWHERE even in her own country is just silly. Its like when people say Madonna hasnt had a number one in 14 years blah blah blah. Thats not true, thats only in the States. I think people need to realise that there are countries outside of their own. Kenny Rogers is a famous singer in the States, why would I feel the need as a Brit to say "well hes not that famous in the UK so hes not famous" I wouldnt even do that. Some of the responses (I'm not referring to Kurts at all) have been damn right silly.

The world is massive and doesn't consist of one country. Nor does that country's relevance trump others.

Well in disco fries it does.

Vespertine has been tried by others too, Bjork was doing dubstep, hard house remixes, world music and jungle with Goldie when I left school, they were playing it when I went to Ibiza to celebrate my exams and im 20,000 years old.

Totally agree guys :thumbsup:

To me being an icon is not really about mass impact or how many records you sell or how many fans you have. It is more about your musical and cultural influence on other artists and the world in general. People like Janet and Kylie may be stars, but to me they're not really icons. They're just silly pop singers. People like Bjork, Kate Bush and also PJ Harvey are icons even though they may not be known by everyone in the general public because they have had a great musical and cultural influence. Madonna is an icon not just because she's sold a lot of records and has lots of fans, but because her influence on music, fashion, culture in general and even social political movements like gay rights and feminism.