Gene Simmons calls Madonna 'iconic' in Esquire interview

HarleyQuinn

i am sorry but to be iconic you also have to be known... not everybody knows Bjork or Radiohead or Beck!! Just because you adore those artists that doesn't make iconic. Get over it!

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Elvis Presley are all known globally and they also changed and shaped the way music is today so just because an artist is experimental or whatever that doesn't make them iconic...

The ignorance... I don't "adore" them, far from it. I'm not even a fan. But if people really don't know them that means they're EXTREMELY ignorant about music. They ARE really known actually. They've both been quite influential in the music industry, not everything is about top 40 music you know? So calm the fuck down, this kind of attitude is not appreciated around here.

And apparently you admitted liking shit music in general. So your opinion is quite invalid.

And he's wrong : Beck, Bjork, Nirvana, Radiohead, Beastie Boys, Many Hip hop bands, Beyonce.....

One band i won't add in that list is Kiss. Overrated buffoons who only exist because of their make up, a pseudo rock band whos eonly major hit is a disco song. Musiczlly they are even worst than Bon Jovi. And Gene Simmons has dissed Madonna multiple times over the years but that's nothing compared to the crap that regularly comes out of his mouth. He may be an icon to you but he's lower than zero to me. And moving on ? FUCK. THAT. That's too easy. One can say crap uncalled for and be excused, i'm not catholic, i don't forgive and i don't forget either.

That wasn't a critic directed to you though, i was not saying you shouldn't have posted it at all, i was just giving my opinion on that asshole.

I stopped taking you seriously when you said Beyoncé. Also: Calm. Down. ;) Take a puff from Madonna's phallus shaped pipe. :p

I know more hit singles from Enya than from KISS.

And isn't this "artist" the same person who a few years ago praised Joanne WHILE dissing Madonna? I wonder what happened cause surely Joanne not being famous anymore has absolutely nothing to do with his change of mind...

As a card carrying member of the KISS Army for over half my lifetime, some facts:

1. KISS NEVER called themselves 'artists'. Where did you get that?

2. He did praise Gaga but notice that she is NOT in the list. I was hoping some of you would notice that. ;)

Guest bluejean

As a card carrying member of the KISS Army for over half my lifetime, some facts:

1. KISS NEVER called themselves 'artists'. Where did you get that?

2. He did praise Gaga but notice that she is NOT in the list. I was hoping some of you would notice that. ;)

We did notice that :chuckle:

Guest Rachelle of London

The ignorance... I don't "adore" them, far from it. I'm not even a fan. But if people really don't know them that means they're EXTREMELY ignorant about music. They ARE really known actually. They've both been quite influential in the music industry, not everything is about top 40 music you know? So calm the fuck down, this kind of attitude is not appreciated around here.

And apparently you admitted liking shit music in general. So your opinion is quite invalid.

:clap:

Guest Rachelle of London

I only know who Gene Simmons is because he had a reality show on the Bio channel. I'm not gonna say hes not iconic just because I didnt know who he was. To some age groups Zac Efron is an icon, just because your opinion differs doesnt make their opinion any less valid.

I only know who Gene Simmons is because he had a reality show on the Bio channel. I'm not gonna say hes not iconic just because I didnt know who he was. To some age groups Zac Efron is an icon, just because your opinion differs doesnt make their opinion any less valid.

I only know Kiss as those guys from that band with a lot of make-up. That is all. I don't know their names, individually.

O'h Chelle, God love you but if someone told me Zac Efron was an icon, I would roll around the floor laughing, even though I think he is gorgeous. If someone is Iconic or legendary, they have to be superstars.

Guest Rachelle of London

I only know Kiss as those guys from that band with a lot of make-up. That is all. I don't know their names, individually.

Same. Plus theyve been on Family Guy a few times.

I liked his reality show, but it stopped coming on after the first season. Did he marry his girlfriend in the end?

I'm sorry but if we are talking pop culture icons with mass appeal and major impact on the music business that is comparable to Madonna, I definitely don't think someone like Bjork could fit in that category. Icon is thrown around too freely these days. Just because an artist influences you or impresses you doesn't automatically make them an icon that should be compared to the most famous and influential artists of all time. Maybe they could be considered an icon in some other scene.......but not the Madonna, Michael, Elvis, Prince, Beatles scene....lol.

I'm sorry but if we are talking pop culture icons with mass appeal and major impact on the music business that is comparable to Madonna, I definitely don't think someone like Bjork could fit in that category. Icon is thrown around too freely these days. Just because an artist influences you or impresses you doesn't automatically make them an icon that should be compared to the most famous and influential artists of all time. Maybe they could be considered an icon in some other scene.......but not the Madonna, Michael, Elvis, Prince, Beatles scene....lol.

You don't have to be one of the most successful artists of all time to be an icon you know? Bjork can definitively be called an icon because she's extremely influential and got a long career, she influenced a LOT of artists, including some more mainstream than her. We're not talking about some unknown indie artist here. Same for Radiohead and others artists like that. They should not be reduced to "some artist who's basically nothing" just because others had more success on the charts.

You don't have to be one of the most successful artists of all time to be an icon you know? Bjork can definitively be called an icon because she's extremely influential and got a long career, she influenced a LOT of artists, including some more mainstream than her. We're not talking about some unknown indie artist here. Same for Radiohead and others artists like that. They should not be reduced to "some artist who's basically nothing" just because others had more success on the charts.

I understand what you are saying but the word Icon should only be used to describe the ultimate superstars. I love Bjork, but she is not an Icon. Similar to how Kevin Spacey is a fantastic actor that has won Oscars and is brilliant, however he is not an icon. It does not mean the person is nothing, it is just that the word Icon should really only be saved for absolute superstars - even the ones we don't care for or like. Bjork is wonderful, original, talented and admired but I would not consider her to be an icon.

I understand what you are saying but the word Icon should only be used to describe the ultimate superstars. I love Bjork, but she is not an Icon. Similar to how Kevin Spacey is a fantastic actor that has won Oscars and is brilliant, however he is not an icon. It does not mean the person is nothing, it is just that the word Icon should really only be saved for absolute superstars - even the ones we don't care for or like. Bjork is wonderful, original, talented and admired but I would not consider her to be an icon.

Completely disagree. The word LEGEND should only be applied to ultimate superstars, not ICON. Let's not discredit so many musicians who ARE icons even if they aren't constantly at the top of the charts.

Damn this thread is depressing me.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Jesus is an icon, btw. It's religious terminology. To me it's embarrassing to see how people can't help but look for gods to bow down to (instead of people to admire) in ... celebrities.

An "icon" can describe a person who has reached a different level of fame whether it be good or bad. I think when considering an icon you have to ask whether almost everyone from every country in the world has heard of them.

For instance I know who Muhammed Ali is even though I am not a boxing fan. I am sure there are hundreds of legends in boxing that I have never heard of.

I don't consider it a measure of worth among famous people. I just think an icon is someone whose fame has taken on a mythic kind of level.

Insta "icons" today is reflective of a very impatient society.

Guest Rachelle of London

Completely disagree. The word LEGEND should only be applied to ultimate superstars, not ICON. Let's not discredit so many musicians who ARE icons even if they aren't constantly at the top of the charts.

Damn this thread is depressing me.

Me too. Bjork is most definitely an icon. She isn't some random new artist. She's been around for years inspired so many people, even Madonna.

Guest Rachelle of London

I guess we have to consider people like Paula Abdul, Debbie Gibson and Tiffany icons as well then. They did have quite the impact in their day.

Don't know who they are. At least Bjork is known worldwide and has had a career lasting longer than a month.

Guest Rachelle of London

i didn't know any of these women util I joined a madonna forum. these american sweethearts are not very known outside of the US. In fact I only know about debbie gibson from a simpson episode.

Same. I googled Debbie Gibson when I first joined here and it came up with information regarding a realtor in North Dakota or somewhere.

Me too. Bjork is most definitely an icon. She isn't some random new artist. She's been around for years inspired so many people, even Madonna.

THANK YOU :clap:

I guess we have to consider people like Paula Abdul, Debbie Gibson and Tiffany icons as well then. They did have quite the impact in their day.

Except that they are not in the same league compared to Bjork. Bjork is WAY more influential and important than them.

Bjork is definitely an icon. I don't know zilch about her music or career, but she's extremely iconic.

Exactly. You don't need to be a fan to see it.

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Same. I googled Debbie Gibson when I first joined here and it came up with information regarding a realtor in North Dakota or somewhere.

is that what she does now?