Gene Simmons calls Madonna 'iconic' in Esquire interview

HarleyQuinn

I think artists like Bjork, Kate Bush, and Tori Amos are iconic in their own way, but they're not for the masses (nor are they trying to be), which I think keeps them from being true music icons. I think jazzyjan's list is pretty much foolproof, though I'm not all too familiar with Hendrix personally, and I'd probably replace Fleetwood Mac (as much as I like them) with Bruce Springsteen.

I think Britney, Beyonce, Eminem, Whitney, Janet, and Mariah are all in the second tier. What keeps them from the top level IMO is their lack of versatility. They basically had one solid formula they replicated over and over again. Not enough "re-invention," I guess you could say ;)

I think artists like Bjork, Kate Bush, and Tori Amos are iconic in their own way, but they're not for the masses (nor are they trying to be), which I think keeps them from being true music icons. I think jazzyjan's list is pretty much foolproof, though I'm not all too familiar with Hendrix personally, and I'd probably replace Fleetwood Mac (as much as I like them) with Bruce Springsteen.

I think Britney, Beyonce, Eminem, Whitney, Janet, and Mariah are all in the second tier. What keeps them from the top level IMO is their lack of versatility. They basically had one solid formula they replicated over and over again. Not enough "re-invention," I guess you could say ;)

Bull's eye!

Bjork is not an icon by any stretch of the imagination. Please. You may like and respect her music and Madonna may say she inspired the Bedtime Stories Album or whatever but she is hardly even an icon in her own native land, let alone a global icon with worldwide influence.

Guest Rachelle of London

Bjork is not an icon by any stretch of the imagination. Please. You may like and respect her music and Madonna may say she inspired the Bedtime Stories Album or whatever but she is hardly even an icon in her own native land, let alone a global icon with worldwide influence.

To quote Stephen

"that's some good weed"

Bjork is not an icon. End of.

If she died tomorrow, her death wouldn't get as much coverage as Joan Rivers, who actually was iconic.

If I went outside and asked 19 random strangers to name 5 Bjork classics, I'd get a lot of blank stares.

She's only iconic to her hardcore fanbase, outside of that, no one knows or cares about her.

Guest Rachelle of London

Bjork is not an icon. End of.

If she died tomorrow, her death wouldn't get as much coverage as Joan Rivers, who actually was iconic.

If I went outside and asked 19 random strangers to name 5 Bjork classics, I'd get a lot of blank stares.

She's only iconic to her hardcore fanbase, outside of that, no one knows or cares about her.

What is this? Death top trumps SMH

It seems like the criteria for being an icon is you have to have been famous for 20 minutes, no major impact on anything is necessary. I always thought the term icon was more exclusive.

So is Bjork WAY more iconic than Debbie Gibson because she's "weird"? Seriously, most people have no idea who Bjork is.......Debbie on the other hand became the youngest artist to write, produce and sing a number one song and.......

In tandem with the second album, she created a perfume called Electric Youth that was distributed by Revlon, and other makeup essentials for young girls that were distributed nationwide through Natural Wonder Cosmetics, another of her sponsors at the time, among the first of artists to do so. Debbie's trademark was her hats, usually black bowlers. She also made tight, rolled-up jeans and wearing vests over your t-shirt, friendship bracelets, and two Swatch watches popular as she is clearly seen wearing on the back cover of her popular Electric Youth album and in her "Staying Together" music video.

I can actually remember that fashion trend too! So Debbie is a marketing revolutionary and fashion icon. When will your fave icon??

Is Britney Spears an icon? What about Cindy Lauper? Spice Girls? Peaches (she's not that known but possibly she's as influential as Bjork)? Amy Winehouse?

This icon thread got loads of people furious... i had no idea :(

Britney Spears is an icon. I mean, her songs and performances are remembered and are going to be remembered forever. :newspaper:

Guest CzarnaWisnia

Better get out tape measurers and measure the news coverage of the dead, and pull some hair in the street to test the knowledge of random idiots strolling with a dazed, cultural void look in their eyes. What for ? Well, to discover and validate who's iconic and who's not, and thus separate in our minds, where it counts, the iconic from the chaff.

Guest Rachelle of London

Never thought I'd read a conversation where Debbie Gibson and Bjork are mentioned in the same sentence.... :horn:

Who the hell is Debbie Gibson?

Guest Rachelle of London

This thread has gotten so silly. Comparing Bjork to a bunch of one song not even hit wonders from years ago is just too much.

Guest Rachelle of London

The common notion in this thread is the people that are discrediting the world famous Bjork are American. :lmao:

Makes all sense now.

The common notion in this thread is the people that are discrediting the world famous Bjork are American. :lmao:

Makes all sense now.

That's what I thought. No hits. Thanks for playing.;)

Btw, I haven't seen anyone here discrediting Bjork, but you discrediting the opinions of Americans, shows your own ignorance, insecurity, and stupidity. I've been a fan of Bjork since she was with the Sugercubes. Were you even born then?

Guest Rachelle of London

That's what I thought. No hits. Thanks for playing.;)

Btw, I haven't seen anyone here discrediting Bjork, but you discrediting the opinions of Americans, shows your own ignorance, insecurity, and stupidity. I've been a fan of Bjork since she was with the Sugercubes. Were you even born then?

I wrote that before I saw your post. I'm not discrediting Americans I just know a lot of you guys think the world begins at Rhode Island and ends in Seattle. It is also OBVIOUS that she is more famous elsewhere than in the States. It's like Kylie. Virtually a no one in America but has achieved a lot of success elsewhere. How does that make me insecure :lmao:

Woohoo you're older than me. Well done. Has the Queen sent you a telegraph yet?

Doesn't that prove Bjork's iconic status, an artists that's been around for so long still reaches a younger following. If you go in the Bjork thread you will see members commenting even younger than I am.

Guest Rachelle of London

Please! ICÔNIQUE!

debbie-gibson-playboy.jpg

boooo yaaaaaaa

:rotfl:

So a Playboy model is considered an icon? Never heard of her. Now Anna Nicole Smith and Pamela Anderson are prob Playboy icons. Not this one.

I wrote that before I saw your post. I'm not discrediting Americans I just know a lot of you guys think the world begins at Rhode Island and ends in Seattle. It is also OBVIOUS that she is more famous elsewhere than in the States. It's like Kylie. Virtually a no one in America but has achieved a lot of success elsewhere. How does that make me insecure :lmao:

Woohoo you're older than me. Well done. Has the Queen sent you a telegraph yet?

Doesn't that prove Bjork's iconic status, an artists that's been around for so long still reaches a younger following. If you go in the Bjork thread you will see members commenting even younger than I am.

these newbs Chelle...I swear.... :doh:

IVE HEARD IT ALL!!! Fuck me will somebody flush???

Ive been to see Bjork in Iceland and even the prime minister was there!!! What planet are you from?

Bjork has hits? When was the last one, and where was it? :newspaper:;)

You slag off Debbie and Bjork?? put me on ignore please, you wont want to read my responses.

Have some special schools ran out of funding lately?

:lmao: Barneyboy will give you a spanking when he sees you. Have you not heard of his Dave a Debbie night ?

Chelle well knows, ive sent her some classic Debs songs in the past. Either she didn't listen or was on too much smack that day. Hearing Debbies brilliance could be a little overwhelming at first Im just glad she didn't overdose. :lol:

Guest Rachelle of London

IVE HEARD IT ALL!!! Fuck me will somebody flush???

Ive been to see Bjork in Iceland and even the prime minister was there!!! What planet are you from?

Bjork isn't famous Barney! Get over it :dead:

Even her bloody fight in the airport is iconic.

Can you please stop being so delusional? This post is beyond ridiculous.