Gene Simmons calls Madonna 'iconic' in Esquire interview

HarleyQuinn

Guest Rachelle of London

To me being an icon is not really about mass impact or how many records you sell or how many fans you have. It is more about your musical and cultural influence on other artists and the world in general. People like Janet and Kylie may be stars, but to me they're not really icons. They're just silly pop singers. People like Bjork, Kate Bush and also PJ Harvey are icons even though they may not be known by everyone in the general public because they have had a great musical and cultural influence. Madonna is an icon not just because she's sold a lot of records and has lots of fans, but because her influence on music, fashion, culture in general and even social political movements like gay rights and feminism.

:clap:

That's what you've been doing in your previous posts dumbass. Also calm down with your fucking attitude, you don't even have 25 posts and you're already starting shit. You won't last long if you keep doing it.

Name calling is the last resort of a true dumbass, which also explains your poor reading comprehension.

You're the one with a fucking attitude, and starting shit.;)

Guys. Gene Simmons called the Queen iconic and he didn't mention She Who Must Not Be Named even though he gushed over her. Can't we celebrate that? :Disco_Ball::superman:

Guest bluejean

The term "iconic" to me basically means they are beyond famous to a point where they are instantly recognizable many years after their peak of popularity or relevance to generation after generation. Examples of icons are Mickey Mouse, Che Guavara, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean etc.

I guess Bjork may be considered a music icon by some. Based on my understanding of what an icon is I personally wouldn't consider her one. She is one of the most influential and innovative musicians of the last 30 years but that is irrelevant to the term "icon" IMO. But the word is considered overused these days so it's completely debatable. Bottom line, who is iconic and who isn't is a subjective thing.

Although I think most people would (hopefully) agree that Paula Abdul and Debbie Gibson are NOT iconic :rotfl:

Guest bluejean

Guys. Gene Simmons called the Queen iconic and he didn't mention She Who Must Not Be Named even though he gushed over her. Can't we celebrate that?

No because we don't care about either of them. Bjork, Beyoncé and Debbie Gibson got more airtime in this thread for a reason.

Only In My Dreams #4

Shake Your Love #4

Out Of The Blue #3

Foolish Beat #1

Staying Together #22

Lost In Your Eyes #1

Electric Youth #11

No More Rhyme #17

Anything Is a Possible #26

http://www.ehow.com/info_8262669_debbie-gibson-costume-ideas.html

What is not ICONIC is tha electric youth only got to number 11, FORSHAME US of A!!! Only the fourth greatest song of the eighties and number 11, and lost in your garbage number 1??? FORSHAME!

Name calling is the last resort of a true dumbass, which also explains your poor reading comprehension.

You're the one with a fucking attitude, and starting shit. ;)

You're so pathetic :lol:

Keep trying shit like that, it won't be long before you get flushed :thumbsup:

What is not ICONIC is tha electric youth only got to number 11, FORSHAME US of A!!! Only the fourth greatest song of the eighties and number 11, and lost in your garbage number 1??? FORSHAME!

YAAAAS!! Electric Youth blows LIYE away!! The Shep mix is......electric! :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9bsb_Ke8KqM

Worship Queen Debbie!!

YAAAAS!! Electric Youth blows LIYE away!! The Shep mix is......electric! :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9bsb_Ke8KqM

Worship Queen Debbie!!

Kurt, you will have to come to Barney's Dave a Debbie night as well. :laugh: So many members from different countries will all ascend at Barney's place in Manchester for Debbie sing-a-longs and dance contests - around campfires and pianos. Plus, you can bring your dog as well if you have one. So far it is Barney, Bill, Runa, Crux, Mattress, Gemini, Vande and I think Ivy might be in for it as well - judging by his apparent love for Debbie. Who would have thought that Debbie Gibson would be discussed on a thread about Icons. :lol:

Kurt, you will have to come to Barney's Dave a Debbie night as well. :laugh: So many members from different countries will all ascend at Barney's place in Manchester for Debbie sing-a-longs and dance contests - around campfires and pianos. Plus, you can bring your dog as well if you have one. So far it is Barney, Bill, Runa, Crux, Mattress, Gemini, Vande and I think Ivy might be in for it as well - judging by his apparent love for Debbie. Who would have thought that Debbie Gibson would be discussed on a thread about Icons. :lol:

LMAO.....if Barney will have me, I'm so there! Maybe a "Debbie" and "Tiffany" dance off?? :o And once the dancing winds down, THIS will be mandatory viewing PLUS it's directed by Mary Lambert.....

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Python_vs._Gatoroid

Does it get any better??

I just saw Madonna on a big radio ad posted on the side of a bus. (just as relevant a comment as the last few though..., so...).

You will come to Barney's Debbie party and you will dance, sing get up and do your thing (or shake your love as it will be in this instance) and you WILL like it!! Understood sir??

Don't come in here wit your nose in da air cuz you don't understand the power of Debbie.....don't fight it, just embrace it. Put on your bowler hat, 2 Swatches, tight roll those jeans and get into the groove bitch!!