Madonna is a wonderful and criminally under-rated singer

Jazzy Jan

She is the best vocal "actress" in pop. She can sell you any song story better than any of the pop bitch. Be it joy, sadness, flirtation, you name it, she has al nailed it and then some.

The problem is very few remember the great performances. The bad ones (like the WTG -Ciao Italia and of course BAT following close behind) are cemented into everyone's minds.

I think the Girlie Show really helped her when it came out. She sounded so much better than the two previous tours and it changed the perception of her singing for the better.

It would be nice if this 1991 Oscar performance was included in some kind of special (maybe Greatest Performances from your favorites of all time) aired in Primetime TV. If the ratings were blockbuster she could start to change the conversation about her voice as she did with Evita and Ray of Light. But her better performances need to be seen more. Example- no RIT, which had stellar vocals throughout is not released. Such a shame.

She has proven herself over and over and over. Then something happens, like she gives a bad performance, and it undoes everything.

I do know many nonfans who also think she is the best singer ever.

MDNA T had a lot more miming than her other tours though.

Yeah, but still...

Exhibit C:

This has got to be her most perfect and most surprising concert moment ever! Who would've thought she'd pull this one off? There's so much depth in that performance, especially with it being placed right after Die Another Day. Easy Ride, Live to Tell, Bad Girl could've worked just as well, but no she decided to perform this song that probably less than 40% of the people that went to RIT knew and she KILLED IT! Vocally it's probably one of her best performances and definitely one of her must vulnerable EVER!

Yeah, but still...

she decided to perform this song that probably less than 40% of the people that went to RIT knew and she KILLED IT!

and then people call it a greatest hits show... it was an amazing performance, I was trully surprised about it

Her voice has a beautiful expressiveness that draws you into the song. Two of my favorite vocals are SNL Bad Girl and Girlie Show Everybody (especially the beginning part with Everybody is a Star). But there are many standout moments on all the tours.and other live performances, this clip has a few of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i6-Ew_iRW4

She sounds amazing here:

It annoys me that people call her a shit singer. I'd rather listen to her than Mariah and Christina etc and their oversinging. I hate that style and it's probably the reason I avoid all the American Idol type shows. Thats what they consider to be "amazing" and I really find it annoying more than anything. Sadly I feel Madonna has drifted to that style of singing as she's gotten older. I miss her "old" voice but many fans maintain that her voice hasn't changed.

Anybody who is more interested in vocal technique will never understand the appeal of Madonna. Is to waste time to try to convince them. They prefer a static singer above a rhythmical one. And no matter what we say, they won't change the opinion, in fact will smile at your heated argument and you will get more angry and at the end you will simplay say "god, you are an idiot" and then Madonna will still have the same "bad singer" fame PLUS you will have the "fanatic fan" label.

Madonna's vocals on the WTG tour are amazing.

The concert shown in Spain (i guess it was the same as in the rest of Europe), they were not amazing. Acko is right, the concert shown in tv in Europa was a kind of a shock. I remember i was still in school and the very next day we were all commenting how bad she sang Into The Groove. I was a kid back then and though that singers sounded exactly like the records, hahaha.

BAT Barcelona was another moment were people thought that. No matter what happened afterwards, things haven't changed.

The concert shown in Spain (i guess it was the same as in the rest of Europe), they were not amazing. Acko is right, the concert shown in tv in Europa was a kind of a shock. I remember i was still in school and the very next day we were all commenting how bad she sang Into The Groove. I was a kid back then and though that singers sounded exactly like the records, hahaha.

BAT Barcelona was another moment were people thought that. No matter what happened afterwards, things haven't changed.

I loved her singing and I'm not the only one. You cannot speak for everyone. It's one of my favorite tours.

Guest PRPapi

I'm so glad that you started this topic, cuz I've been working on a playlist that I wanna use to prove to the haters that M can definitely sing. Be all like: "WHAT? You think M can't sing?" Then, BAM! Press play and shut them up. ;) But, admittedly, at 40 songs (lol!), the playlist's too long, and I'm having a hard time shortening it since I think M sounds amazing in so many damned songs! I wanted to do a mix of studio and live songs, but also make it interesting enough to listen to for non or casual fans. So, maybe y'all can help? :)

This is the playslist I have so far:

1. Like A Prayer

2. Express Yourself

3. Vogue

4. Rescue Me

5. Rain (Radio Mix)

6. Take a Bow

7. Borderline

8. Crazy for You

9. Masterpiece

10. Secret

11. Deserve It

12. Don't Tell Me

13. Drowed World/Substitute for Love (Live from Confessions)

14. Paradise Not For Me (Live from Confessions)

15. La Isla Bonita (Live from DWT)

16. Like a Prayer (Live from RIT)

17. Mother and Father (Live from RIT)

18. Lament (Live from RIT)

19. You Must Love Me (Live from S&S)

20. Bad Girl (Live from SNL '93)

21. Fever (Live on Arsenio Hall Show '92)

22. Sooner or Later (Live from Oscars '91)

23. Deeper and Deeper (Demo RIT Version)

24. If You Go Away (from Hello Suckers)

25. More

26. He's A Man

27. I Want You

28. Love Don't Live Here Anymore

29. You'll See

30. Love Spent (Acoustic)

31. Falling Free

32. Frozen

33. The Power of Good-bye

34. Gone

35. X-Static Process

36. Another Suitcase Another Hall

37. Love Profusion

38. Ray of Light

39. Everybody (Live from Girlie Show)

40. A New Argentina (as a bonus song)

So, what do you think about the songs and playlist? I'd like to get it down to 20 songs. Which should I remove? Which should I keep? What order do you suggest? Would love to hear recommendations. :)

Loving everyone's responses. I suppose I concentrate more on her singing voice on her recordings rather than live singing because I know that live she dances and moves around so much. On record, her voice is so emotive and lovely.

PRPapi, your list is wonderful. Make sure you include A New Argentina as more than just a bonus track because I have played that to people before ( such as older relatives etc ) without telling them who it was and asking them who they thought it was. They were shocked when it was Madonna as did not know that she could sing that well. Her version of Don't cry for me Argentina is also an eye opener for a lot of people. I love it when people are surprised at how wonderful Madonna's voice sounds when they listen to it.

Her voice has reinvented itself too:

- helium

- rescue me

- breathless

- early spoken vocal JML

- erotica spoken vocal

- rnb

- musical

- ROL

- milkshake drinking cowgirl voice

- vocoder version

- crow voice

MDNA T had a lot more miming than her other tours though.

From what I heard, MDNA was mostly live! And I mean, really live, not just pre-recorded tracks.

PROOF:

Masterpiece:

Love Spent:

Open Your Heart: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikfP08PajLs

Like a Prayer:

I'm a Sinner - BIG EAR MONITOR MALFUNCTION - PROOF IT'S LIVE!!!

I'm a Sinner/Cyberraga:

I'm Addicted:

Turn Up The Radio:

Express Yourself:

Human Nature:

I Don't Give A:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKgd46YhcpU

Like a Virgin:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbegDUSI2z8

Celebration:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqNMBbTvZ9g

Give Me All Your Luvin':

Papa Don't Preach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBgp7P9cAg0

Erotic Candy Shop (Candy Shop et Erotica): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udm8VmUmZN4

Holiday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1gkJ18VPJM

Edited by Arckangel

Guest PRPapi

Loving everyone's responses. I suppose I concentrate more on her singing voice on her recordings rather than live singing because I know that live she dances and moves around so much. On record, her voice is so emotive and lovely.

PRPapi, your list is wonderful. Make sure you include A New Argentina as more than just a bonus track because I have played that to people before ( such as older relatives etc ) without telling them who it was and asking them who they thought it was. They were shocked when it was Madonna as did not know that she could sing that well. Her version of Don't cry for me Argentina is also an eye opener for a lot of people. I love it when people are surprised at how wonderful Madonna's voice sounds when they listen to it.

Thanks, Jazzy! It IS really impressive! That's kinda why I left it as the last track. But, by then, anyone would be too tired of listening to all M songs. :-/ So, I'll be sure to put A New Argentina higher up on the list. ;)

That's great that you were able to suprise/shock people like that. I was able to do the same with LDLHA with my older brother who's a total opera/classical music snob and has always dissed M's vocal. One night, I was pumping LDLHA, he came into the house and was all like: "THAT'S Madonna?!? Wow!" It was a HUGE "I told you so" moment, and I loved it. Afterward, I played a litany of her best vocal songs and, finally, shut him up. On another ocassion, Lament came up on my shuffle while driving and he was in the car, and that only cemented what he was already schooled on: that M is, in actuality, a great singer!

The most perfect and beautiful example I always use when people say madonna can't sing is la isla Bonita live on the drowned world tour. Madonnas voice is so beautiful when she wants it to be. Extremely underrated.

It had great moments. I have this on my iPod, I love how she sounds here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LKmr3ZDrUvo

Her voice has reinvented itself too:

- helium

- rescue me

- breathless

- early spoken vocal JML

- erotica spoken vocal

- rnb

- musical

- ROL

- milkshake drinking cowgirl voice

- vocoder version

- crow voice

hahahahaha. Love it. My fav is the Rescue Me one, the milkshake one and the erotica.

Her voice is emotive. Although she's not "technically" brilliant, she still has an amazing voice (there's a difference!). I'd rather listen to Madonna's voice than any other singer ever. She moves me :)

Great thread, JazzyJan!! :thumbsup:

Incidentally, The MDNA Tour did NOT feature a lot of miming. To claim otherwise is shortsighted.