I WANT A NEW ALBUM

elijah

How many years till we get what we all want  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be an eternity again?

• Next year
    • NEVER

Erotica was NOT well-received by critics when it was released; I remember that time well, and it was like everything was falling apart for Madonna, one project after the next. The only thing that critics managed to muster any appreciation for was the Girlie Show Tour.

Anyway, I can't wait for the next album. My biggest issue was MDNA (aside from the wack lead single choice) was how thin and shrill her voice sounded, but she sounded glorious on "Between the Bars." If she brings the passion she's been showing lately and takes her time with the project, you know it's going to be amazing... If she'd bring back Pat Leonard into the fold, that would just be... one can dream...

"Like a Revolution" for an album title, anyone?

The day for Like titles ended with the '80s.

The problem with MDNA is that all around the world except for the US, it felt like there was not a new Madonna album out. People had no idea. No buzz, no promo, no interest. Those of you who live outside of the US know what I mean. It was shocking. A new Madonna album used to always be a big event that penetrated every part of society, all kinds of people. People were fully aware. That's how it used to be for decades. Even with her least successful albums. All that changed with MDNA.

The 2-3 times I met Guy during the tour I really wanted to address this issue but I was kind of shy. I felt like he was gonna get mad because it would be like criticizing his strategy. They should really do a better job WORLDWIDE with the next album.

Things were different in the US though. The radio deal, tons of billboards across the country, the Superbowl, constant Smirnoff commercials on the TV promoting the album etc. For a few days it felt like heaven for Madonna fans. Unfortunately, people did not respond enthusiastically but she was in the epicentre for a while and the Superbowl performance was very well received.

As for lack of radio support, try to find alternatives. Streaming and On-Demand services are exploding. Make a deal with services like Spotify, iheart, itunes radio etc. Let commercials and popular shows use your single. Perform and do some interviews. And that's it. And the most important, test your material before you release it.

^ I would hope they do some major (or even unique) promo next time. She has to know that even if an album can't sell like Ray of Light anymore, a successful launch and solid music would only help her tour's ticket sales. I think she really needs to recapture the European market. There is no reason she should be selling that low over there. They don't give a shit if she is 40 or 50.

Also, I was thinking, Madonna was Warner's most important artist. They made sure every release gets the most exposure possible and they could focus exclusively on her since they were much smaller than Sony and Universal and did not have that many big names with worldwide mainstream success.

For Universal, Madonna doesn't mean anything really. They do not own her rich catalogue so they cannot make that much money off of her. Why would a company invest in someone they cannot profit from as much as they would if they invested in someone else instead.

Also all the other pop girls that challenge Madonna's chart records are with Universal. Rihanna, Katy, Gaga etc... The label has owned the whole product-artist since the very beginning. Its 100% theirs. Unlike Madonna. For example, It would be wonderful for Universal if Rihanna gets more no1 or top10 hits than Madonna. It is simple business-money logic.

I think Madonna has been very blinded when it comes to studio albums by the insane amount of money she has made by touring since 2006. Guy's pocket and influence is another issue too. They just feel like they can throw an album out there, not move a finger and then go on tour and make 300m dollars. What they fail to realize is that Sticky made so much money due to the massiveness of Confessions and her name of course. Not because of Hard Candy. Hard Candy and 4 Mins actually harmed the tour because a big part of the general public was disappointed with 4 Minutes. She could have made much more. Same with GMAYL and MDNA tour.

Trust me if she had made 2 stadium legs right after Confessions on a Dancefloor she could have easily made more than Sticky. The demand was INSANE. Especially in Europe. But she went to very few European cities so people's next alternative was Sticky even if they did not enjoy Hard Candy. I am writing all this nonsense because I believe the commercial success of her albums is tied to the success of her tours. Push your album. Care a bit more. Ultimately it will help her tour and pocket.

Her philosophy about music videos changed too. From 2004 until 2009 I felt like she HATED videos and thought they were very irrelevant. Thankfully, her opinion changed right before MDNA. The massive popularity of youtube, tablets, smartphones and social media that did not really exist 6-7 years ago made her realise that videos are still very relevant. Also her direct involvement in social media was crucial. She saw how fast videos, pictures and status updates spread and what a huge impact they can have.

I feel like she's evolving with studio albums right now like she evolved with technology, videos etc a couple of years ago. I feel like she is finally inspired and realizes what a great tool a music album can be to spread messages and feelings. I feel like she is ready to dedicate herself.

i just saw a few mins of justin timerbake's itunes gig. i love the live band. M should add more of that to her next tour and mini tours..

leonard brings the real perfect pop melodies out of her. every song he did is just the perfect pop track. wouldnt mind nile rodgers back either

"Celebration" felt like more of an event here in the UK and that was just a compilation. The single even made it to No.3 and wasnt anything special. I don't think I even saw a TV ad or poster on the underground for MDNA, it just seemed to be in the shops one day with absolutely 0 fanfare.

"Celebration" felt like more of an event here in the UK and that was just a compilation. The single even made it to No.3 and wasnt anything special. I don't think I even saw a TV ad or poster on the underground for MDNA, it just seemed to be in the shops one day with absolutely 0 fanfare.

And also top3 on radio too which is huge.

The UK situation is very serious. We are talking about the most successful female of all time in the country from every angle you look at it. Albums, singles, sales, No1s, top10s, airplay etc. Kylie is a distant no2.

The fact that in just one night she went from smashing with every release to struggling to even chart in the top40 and get a few radio spins is shocking.

Fans should make sure Guy is aware of this issue. Fuck this new label if all they do is lead her to irrelevancy.

What they fail to realize is that Sticky made so much money due to the massiveness of Confessions and her name of course. Not because of Hard Candy. Hard Candy and 4 Mins actually harmed the tour because a big part of the general public was disappointed with 4 Minutes. She could have made much more. Same with GMAYL and MDNA tour.

Actually,it seems as if "4 Minutes" was the last Madonna single that the general public really liked.At least here in America.But I agree with everything else you said.

Guest sambassile

Actually,it seems as if "4 Minutes" was the last Madonna single that the general public really liked.At least here in America.But I agree with everything else you said.

Totally agree . I'm sorry but 4 mins was a massive hit and the GP loved it worldwide.

I think the "older" generation would give Madonna a chance again and actually go out and buy her album if she stays away from the current dance sound for her next project. Sure, the teens push the singles of the Rihanna's and Katy's to number 1 but most other people bought Adele's album, for example. I kind of don't expect Madonna to have a 20 million seller anymore but she could easily outsell the other pop bitches if she tries and goes for a more mature sound. Something ballad-heavy as the first single, a new look with dark hair or just something unexpected. The world loves a comeback and even though M had the biggest tour and makes headlines all the time, most people I know did not care for her music since Confessions. Sad, but true.

I wish she would team up with young artists like James Blake who are great songwriters but also have the production skills to create an interesting sound. Add Madonna's pop sensibilities and you can expect something great. I wouldn't mind a world-music album either (as I said before) because she plays with music from different cultures all the time and incorporated latin or middle eastern sounds here and there but there is still so much more to explore. I say, go for it M!

I think the "older" generation would give Madonna a chance again and actually go out and buy her album if she stays away from the current dance sound for her next project. Sure, the teens push the singles of the Rihanna's and Katy's to number 1 but most other people bought Adele's album, for example. I kind of don't expect Madonna to have a 20 million seller anymore but she could easily outsell the other pop bitches if she tries and goes for a more mature sound. Something ballad-heavy as the first single, a new look with dark hair or just something unexpected. The world loves a comeback and even though M had the biggest tour and makes headlines all the time, most people I know did not care for her music since Confessions. Sad, but true.

I wish she would team up with young artists like James Blake who are great songwriters but also have the production skills to create an interesting sound. Add Madonna's pop sensibilities and you can expect something great. I wouldn't mind a world-music album either (as I said before) because she plays with music from different cultures all the time and incorporated latin or middle eastern sounds here and there but there is still so much more to explore. I say, go for it M!

Yes, but Madonna's older fans aren't the same as older fans of other artists. Madonna's first record was very dance so Madonna's fans are used to dance and like some dance/electronica. I'm an older fan and I don't like ballady artists like Adele. I find them boring. If I just liked ballads I would never have become a fan of Madonna in the first place. Now I think she could do maybe more mature dance music like Confessions with deeper lyrics, but not remove any type of uptempo dance/electronic element and do just ballads. Confessions is certainly not a ballads album. I like the idea of her working with Daft Punk. They are dance but a little more mature dance, not teen dance. A lot of people I know in their forties really love Daft Punk's last album.

I think she needs to maybe be more artistic and innovative on the next album, but definitely not more mature which to me brings to mind all kinds of boring artists like Adele, Robbie Williams and Elton John whom I don't like.

World music is one of my least favorite genres, so I really hope she doesn't go that way.

I think we all can agree that album success doesn't matter that much. Album quality is much more important. If she deliveres another generic album she won't be unique on the charts, there will always be something more trashy and more popular than her music.

Mature album is the priority. No more childish lyrics and stupid chorus like the one in GGW. No more generic production.

It is annoying when fans try to define Madonna as a dance artist. Yes, she is very famous for her dance songs, but she is also famous for her ballads and other experimental works. If Madonna would do the same thing like she has done on her first album, then she would be like Britney - just weak catchy songs, a few great songs on the album...

@Glindathegood Even if Madonna choses world music for her next album, it still will be a pop album, but with elements of world music. I suppose when fans say they want rock album or jazz album, they think of pop album with elements of rock or jazz. Madonna is a pop artist, nobody wants her to change her music style. Only with HC Madonna failed to create a pop album.

I am a big fan of electropop and synthpop but she seriously needs to let it go a little bit. Her entire music of new millenium is about electrpop, at least she could mix electro msuic with organic instruments and clear voice insted of lame vocoders.

Organic sound would be a welcome change. If she wants to continue to make dance music then she could make something like Vogue or Deeper and Deeper, which isn't completly organic, but it is very close, instead of songs like Celebration and GGW.

Her every decade was different. Her music of 80s was catchy, friendly and powerful. Her 90s music was the most artistic, mature sound and lyrics, sophisticated music, clear sound, experimental...

Her 2000s music is all about electropop (HC is exception) and dance. In 2010s she continue with electropop music, but it is time for a change. At least she can make more conceptaul, cohesive albums, but againg there should be some diversity in sound.

I think we all can agree that album success doesn't matter that much. Album quality is much more important. If she deliveres another generic album she won't be unique on the charts, there will always be something more trashy and more popular than her music.

Mature album is the priority. No more childish lyrics and stupid chorus like the one in GGW. No more generic production.

It is annoying when fans try to define Madonna as a dance artist. Yes, she is very famous for her dance songs, but she is also famous for her ballads and other experimental works. If Madonna would do the same thing like she has done on her first album, then she would be like Britney - just weak catchy songs, a few great songs on the album...

@Glindathegood Even if Madonna choses world music for her next album, it still will be a pop album, but with elements of world music. I suppose when fans say they want rock album or jazz album, they think of pop album with elements of rock or jazz. Madonna is a pop artist, nobody wants her to change her music style. Only with HC Madonna failed to create a pop album.

I am a big fan of electropop and synthpop but she seriously needs to let it go a little bit. Her entire music of new millenium is about electrpop, at least she could mix electro msuic with organic instruments and clear voice insted of lame vocoders.

Organic sound would be a welcome change. If she wants to continue to make dance music then she could make something like Vogue or Deeper and Deeper, which isn't completly organic, but it is very close, instead of songs like Celebration and GGW.

Her every decade was different. Her music of 80s was catchy, friendly and powerful. Her 90s music was the most artistic, mature sound and lyrics, sophisticated music, clear sound, experimental...

Her 2000s music is all about electropop (HC is exception) and dance. In 2010s she continue with electropop music, but it is time for a change. At least she can make more conceptaul, cohesive albums, but againg there should be some diversity in sound.

Ummm.......HC is very much a pop album. It's certainly not an R&B/Hip-Hop album. That sound was the "pop" sound in the US at the time.

I have a feeling once the next album fails to live up to fans commercial expectations, reality will finally sink in.....people....the woman is almost SIXTY....she's just not gonna get a slam dunk, massive hit single every time she puts out a new album. Yes, that's what we've been used to but her commercial decline is (was) inevitable at some point. I do think she'll continue to have a big hit here and there but let's be realistic. The next album probably won't even sell as much as MDNA.

Ummm.......HC is very much a pop album. It's certainly not an R&B/Hip-Hop album. That sound was the "pop" sound in the US at the time.

I have a feeling once the next album fails to live up to fans commercial expectations, reality will finally sink in.....people....the woman is almost SIXTY....she's just not gonna get a slam dunk, massive hit single every time she puts out a new album. Yes, that's what we've been used to but her commercial decline is (was) inevitable at some point. I do think she'll continue to have a big hit here and there but let's be realistic. The next album probably won't even sell as much as MDNA.

Exactly, HC was probably one of her most pop albums since the 80's. It had more of traditional pop songs than some of her other albums that have more of a club sound. HC is probably one of my least favorite albums by her, but it's still very much in the pop genre. I love that she stays in pop music and I hope she always does. I'm not too big on jazz, blues, world music or things outside of the pop genre.

I think that the next album should be shelved until she gets inspired. I think that the album needs a purpose or a message of whatever creative influence that is important to her. It is so obvious that she is over making music. I don't want her to do anything she does not want to do. As long as her heart is in it then any genre or sound will work. So lets meet up here again in 8 years or so. I don't mind waiting.

The Secret Project has her inspired. And I'm especially inspired by the interview and live performance with Rocco. This is the perfect time to settle on one or two primary producers and work on a project that is musically cohesive while lyrically exploring her world concerns.

Yes, but Madonna's older fans aren't the same as older fans of other artists. Madonna's first record was very dance so Madonna's fans are used to dance and like some dance/electronica. I'm an older fan and I don't like ballady artists like Adele. I find them boring. If I just liked ballads I would never have become a fan of Madonna in the first place. Now I think she could do maybe more mature dance music like Confessions with deeper lyrics, but not remove any type of uptempo dance/electronic element and do just ballads. Confessions is certainly not a ballads album. I like the idea of her working with Daft Punk. They are dance but a little more mature dance, not teen dance. A lot of people I know in their forties really love Daft Punk's last album.

I think she needs to maybe be more artistic and innovative on the next album, but definitely not more mature which to me brings to mind all kinds of boring artists like Adele, Robbie Williams and Elton John whom I don't like.

World music is one of my least favorite genres, so I really hope she doesn't go that way.

I wasn't really talking about 'older Madonna fans'. I was talking about the older general public, who listen to radio and buy albums. If Madonna releases a good ballad, it would be played on radio and people would get interested again. It's simple pimple. Masterpiece provoked a bigger reaction than GGW or TUTR.

Also, I wasn't implying that Madonna does or should do boring ballads like Elton John or 'Adele' (who I don't think is boring). Madonna does ballads or mid-tempo very well. She can be creative and mature, I don't see why that should be a contradiction.

I understand that a lot of fans did not enjoy Hard Candy or MDNA. Although I don't personally agree with those views, that is fair enough as that is your personal tastes and opinions. However it is a little presumptuous to suggest that she is over making music and is not inspired. Madonna should just do exactly what she has always done - make the album she wants to make. I can remember people getting annoyed when she released Erotica, Bedtime stories, American life, Something to remember to name but a few albums.

There is a huge difference to people not liking certain songs and albums, to suggesting that Madonna is not inspired or does not like them herself. I always get the impression she is very proud of her music and always makes music that she wants to.

I understand that a lot of fans did not enjoy Hard Candy or MDNA. Although I don't personally agree with those views, that is fair enough as that is your personal tastes and opinions. However it is a little presumptuous to suggest that she is over making music and is not inspired. Madonna should just do exactly what she has always done - make the album she wants to make. I can remember people getting annoyed when she released Erotica, Bedtime stories, American life, Something to remember to name but a few albums.

There is a huge difference to people not liking certain songs and albums, to suggesting that Madonna is not inspired or does not like them herself. I always get the impression she is very proud of her music and always makes music that she wants to.

:D hard candy all the way!

Speaking of HC, I wouldn't say HC is a pop album. It is more r'n'b with elements of pop and hip hop.

Madonna failed to connect with the style of Pharell and Timbaland. HC doesn't sound as Madonna album at all.

She stopped makling more freestyle pop songs like LAP or Deeper and Deeper where you can dance just the way you want to. Now, it seems, she is making dance songs that she can perform on her tours, songs that can have specific choreography...

Her next album will be dance and electropop again, no doubt. Since she always works with people who already worked with her (remixes, tour music), I think Avicci, who made GGW remix, will produce a few songs on her next album. Of course there will be also a new producer she hasn't worked with.

I agree,a more mature sound is the way to go.I really love the song "Falling Free".Her vocals are outstanding,the melody is sad and haunting,and the production is amazing! I wish it had been a single.The world thinks that Madonna is just dance music,but that song proves that she can do so much more.I want more songs like that!! "Masterpiece" is also a great song.I'm not saying that she should do an album of ballads,but I want more songs of SUBSTANCE.Her recent performance of "Behind The Bars" is,hopefully,an indication that Madonna feels the same way and wants to do more songs of substance.

I really think that Madonna has taken the dance/techno/electronica thing as far as it can go.It's time to move on to something else.

Madonna failed to connect with the style of Pharell and Timbaland. HC doesn't sound as Madonna album at all

I disagree.....I don't think Madonna failed to connect with the styles of HC's producers.She blended her pop sensibilities with their mainstream R&B sounds,and came up with songs that seemed tailor-made for her ("Give It 2 Me","Heartbeat","Beat Goes On","She's Not Me",etc).I don't think that Madonna has ever been overshadowed by any producer(s) she has worked with.HC sounds like a Madonna album,but with an urban twist ;) "Miles Away" is pure Madonna...very similiar to the stuff she did with Mirwais.

So wrong. HC sounds totally like a Madonna POP album. Yes, Timbaland used the usual production but with Pharrell she really clicked.

I absolutely LOVE Hard Candy. And I like 4 Minutes. The problem is that for the vast majority of the general public Hard Candy = 4 Minutes only like MDNA = GMAYL. Very unfair to both albums. At this point in her career the lead single gets all the attention so it should be representative of the album.

Hard Candy is a cohesive listening experience whether you enjoyed it or not. MDNA is simply a disconnected collection of songs that are interchangeable track listing wise. Any playlist will do.