I WANT A NEW ALBUM

elijah

How many years till we get what we all want  

178 members have voted

1. 1. Will it be an eternity again?

• Next year
    • NEVER

I don't like a couple albums much, to be fair. I simply don't listen to them. One good thing about Madonna is that she has so much music that you can choose to listen to whatever you want and enjoy it. Some days i play an oldie, other times i play rarities, other times i play the remixes...

The whole idea of a cohesive album is overrated in my view. With most albums, I only listen to them all the way through a couple of times when I first buy them. After that I usually put them on random, with my other favorite albums. So I don't mind if an album has different genres and sounds on it. In fact, one complaint I have with a lot of albums now is they feel that they have to make every song almost the same. My most favorite recent album is by Kate Nash. She has some punk rock stuff, but also some ballads, some indie pop and a song with an orchestra. To me, that's great. Why does every song have to cohere with every other song on the album?

I think it has to be cohesive, and in Madonna's case, she likes telling a story, inviting the listener to a musical journey. You can't do that with 5 different producers and chaotic changes. And that doesn't have to mean that the album has to sound the same, for example Music has differnt styles. Even COADF has different moods.

Guest Not4Pussies

Hopefully there's a hint of what's next in the Bazaar interview. A film or an album. If there isn't than we won't know what's next until early next year.

And I remember complaints at this very forum over the sound quality of Hard Candy.

Oh, i think some complaints were about the effect in songs like Voices that maybe ruined the song for some people. But overall, it's pretty clear that HC was recorded in the most expensive way, every little sound is out there just crystal clear! MDNA is a bit like a whole demo. Songs like I'm Addicted are so badlyl mixed that sometimes i don't recall if i'm listening to the 320 rip or the first leak version before the release.

I think it has to be cohesive, and in Madonna's case, she likes telling a story, inviting the listener to a musical journey. You can't do that with 5 different producers and chaotic changes. And that doesn't have to mean that the album has to sound the same, for example Music has differnt styles. Even COADF has different moods.

But if you look at MDNA, it does take you on a journey if you think about it. It starts out with Gang Bang with her wanting revenge and then ends with Falling Free, with her coming to terms with the end of her marriage. MDNA whether you like the music or not goes through different things of anger, wanting revenge, wanting to escape through dancing and partying and finally coming to terms with loss and moving on. You don't have to look it at that way if you don't want to, you can just enjoy the songs individually. For me, I guess it's best if an album works both ways. You can listen to it all the way through and go on the journey. But you can also pick out certain songs and listen to them alone or alongside other albums and it still works. I enjoy Confessions, but I hate the mixed together thing it has. It ruins me listening to it with other songs and albums on random.

Am I the only one who just likes Madonna's music. Every. Single. Album? I'm genuinely a fan of all of her output. Sure, there is a few throwaway tracks (looking at you Bday Song) - but, like jazzyjan said, I just skip them.

+1

Hopefully there's a hint of what's next in the Bazaar interview. A film or an album. If there isn't than we won't know what's next until early next year.

She already said is a film.

+1

She did? I heard that she said she wanted to do more films, but did she say she was doing one next and what it was going to be? I must have missed that.

MDNA isn't a good album for anyone. Madonna's previous high standards aren't the reason why it disappoints. The mediocrity was plain shocking and has the rest of us nervous about when she'll return to making something provocative and creative like American Life.

:rotfl:

Oh, i think some complaints were about the effect in songs like Voices that maybe ruined the song for some people. But overall, it's pretty clear that HC was recorded in the most expensive way, every little sound is out there just crystal clear! MDNA is a bit like a whole demo. Songs like I'm Addicted are so badlyl mixed that sometimes i don't recall if i'm listening to the 320 rip or the first leak version before the release.

It's the same joker that mixed/mastered both those records. Demo wasshisface. Then he sprinkled his magic touch on the MDNA dvd/blu live mix. Atrocious, the lot of it.

But if you look at MDNA, it does take you on a journey if you think about it. It starts out with Gang Bang with her wanting revenge and then ends with Falling Free, with her coming to terms with the end of her marriage. MDNA whether you like the music or not goes through different things of anger, wanting revenge, wanting to escape through dancing and partying and finally coming to terms with loss and moving on. You don't have to look it at that way if you don't want to, you can just enjoy the songs individually. For me, I guess it's best if an album works both ways. You can listen to it all the way through and go on the journey. But you can also pick out certain songs and listen to them alone or alongside other albums and it still works. I enjoy Confessions, but I hate the mixed together thing it has. It ruins me listening to it with other songs and albums on random.

Sorry, i don't agree. The story in MDNA is just whishful thinking imo. But i respect your ideas because it's true that some songs are heavily related to her feelings at the moment.

The whole idea of a cohesive album is overrated in my view.

No it isn't. Erotica is a perfect example of why cohesion is essential for an album's longevity as a listening experience.

No it isn't. Erotica is a perfect example of why cohesion is essential for an album's longevity as a listening experience.

But that's my point. I personally don't listen to albums from beginning to end most of the time. If you do, then I guess it's important to you. I will listen to an album three or four times all the way through when I first buy it to get the general idea of it and to pick out what are my favorite tracks. I then will listen to it on random with some of other favorite albums by different artists. Or I will just pick out my favorite tracks from it and make a playlist with other favorite Madonna songs and favorite songs by other artists.

Sorry, i don't agree. The story in MDNA is just whishful thinking imo. But i respect your ideas because it's true that some songs are heavily related to her feelings at the moment.

Agree. MDNA had some great themes, but it doesn't have a main story. It is just a collection of great and bad songs.

But that's my point. I personally don't listen to albums from beginning to end most of the time. If you do, then I guess it's important to you. I will listen to an album three or four times all the way through when I first buy it to get the general idea of it and to pick out what are my favorite tracks. I then will listen to it on random with some of other favorite albums by different artists. Or I will just pick out my favorite tracks from it and make a playlist with other favorite Madonna songs and favorite songs by other artists.

I'm not a digital playlist person. I remember reading how Bjork takes a lot of time creating the sequencing of her albums' track listing.

I fully agree, although there are some lighthearted and possibly throwaway tracks on MDNA, but she's also never released a studio album with 16 tracks before, either.

Actually MDNA has 12 songs. Additional 4 songs on deluxe version are just bonus songs. These songs shouldn't have an impact on the quality of album at all, Beautiful Killer is much better song than some crappy songs that are on the standard version.

Instead of releasing these 4 songs as B-sides or letting them leak on the internet, Madonna and her people decided to release a deluxe version with some additional cheap songs and get more money. That's why there are no unrealesed MDNA tracks.

Guest Not4Pussies

+1

she also said her juices were flowing about making a new album. she can change her mind. her answer on reddit about making a film was too vague. we shall see.

Actually MDNA has 12 songs. Additional 4 songs on deluxe version are just bonus songs. These songs shouldn't have an impact on the quality of album at all, Beautiful Killer is much better song than some crappy songs that are on the standard version.

Instead of releasing these 4 songs as B-sides or letting them leak on the internet, Madonna and her people decided to release a deluxe version with some additional cheap songs and get more money. That's why there are no unrealesed MDNA tracks.

Yes, but songs aren't released as b sides really anymore, because artists don't release that many singles from an album. Wouldn't b sides be the same as doing a deluxe version because you would have to buy the singles to get the b sides not just the album? Wouldn't that be another "cheap" way to get more money? Do you think Madonna should just give away extra songs for free on the Internet? She has the right to make money from her work. I see nothing wrong with doing a deluxe version. You don't have to buy the standard version if you don't want to, you can just buy the deluxe version. Pretty much every artist now does a standard and a deluxe version. Do you object to other artists doing that or just Madonna?

Some of the songs on the deluxe version like Best Friend and I F*cked up definitely continue the theme of the album about her divorce. In fact, they are some of the most personal songs on the album.

Yes, but songs aren't released as b sides really anymore, because artists don't release that many singles from an album. Wouldn't b sides be the same as doing a deluxe version because you would have to buy the singles to get the b sides not just the album? Wouldn't that be another "cheap" way to get more money? Do you think Madonna should just give away extra songs for free on the Internet? She has the right to make money from her work. I see nothing wrong with doing a deluxe version. You don't have to buy the standard version if you don't want to, you can just buy the deluxe version. Pretty much every artist now does a standard and a deluxe version. Do you object to other artists doing that or just Madonna?

Some of the songs on the deluxe version like Best Friend and I F*cked up definitely continue the theme of the album about her divorce. In fact, they are some of the most personal songs on the album.

Well, deluxe versions are just cheap way to make some money not just for Madonna, I am speaking in general. It makes more sense to release a bonus song as a B-side on some single, that way Madonna would sell more singles. Imagine if Madonna release an album and nobody buys it because everybody is waiting for deluxe version which will be released later.

Like I said, bonus songs should be seen as a part of the original album. Yes, Best Friend and I Fucked Up are personal and thematically would have been great for more personal album. Lyrically they are good, although the line "I Fucked Up" is horrible and stupid, she could have wrote better and smarter line. Musically they are mediocre, actually Best Friend is not bad. It has I'm Addicted vibe (because the same producers work on both songs), but it also evokes HC and sounds like an HC left over. In production terms, I Fucked Up is horrible, no soul and emotions, totally not Madonna style. It sounds like she made it during the period of Time Stood Still/ American Pie.

Anyway, many people even don't know that 4 additional songs on MDNA deluxe are bonus songs, so many will not have good opinion about MDNA because of B-day song. Actually I don't know are these songs marked as bonus songs, but it is a bad thing if casual fans don't know that fact.

It made MDNA feels like a looooong album.

But if you look at MDNA, it does take you on a journey if you think about it. It starts out with Gang Bang with her wanting revenge and then ends with Falling Free, with her coming to terms with the end of her marriage. MDNA whether you like the music or not goes through different things of anger, wanting revenge, wanting to escape through dancing and partying and finally coming to terms with loss and moving on. You don't have to look it at that way if you don't want to, you can just enjoy the songs individually. For me, I guess it's best if an album works both ways. You can listen to it all the way through and go on the journey. But you can also pick out certain songs and listen to them alone or alongside other albums and it still works.

I agree with this. MDNA is all over the place because it represents all the feelings you go through. MDNA was therapy for Madonna. It's not an album that is so much reaching out to people and "sharing" a feeling. It actually reminds me of Music a bit in approach. There are individual songs that you can relate to but I feel Madonna is really focused on herself on both albums. With Ray if Light and American Life and COADF and others before that she seemed to want to share something with the listener. I think that is what is missing from MDNA. Don't misunderstand but it's a self indulgent album. I believe she was more into feelings than sharing her thoughts.

I agree about Falling Free. It's an underrated song. After everything she comes to terms with it all and it's sad but it also shows that she's let go and ready to heal. No matter what anyone thinks, she wanted to say those words.

Well, deluxe versions are just cheap way to make some money not just for Madonna, I am speaking in general. It makes more sense to release a bonus song as a B-side on some single, that way Madonna would sell more singles. Imagine if Madonna release an album and nobody buys it because everybody is waiting for deluxe version which will be released later.

Like I said, bonus songs should be seen as a part of the original album. Yes, Best Friend and I Fucked Up are personal and thematically would have been great for more personal album. Lyrically they are good, although the line "I Fucked Up" is horrible and stupid, she could have wrote better and smarter line. Musically they are mediocre, actually Best Friend is not bad. It has I'm Addicted vibe (because the same producers work on both songs), but it also evokes HC and sounds like an HC left over. In production terms, I Fucked Up is horrible, no soul and emotions, totally not Madonna style. It sounds like she made it during the period of Time Stood Still/ American Pie.

Anyway, many people even don't know that 4 additional songs on MDNA deluxe are bonus songs, so many will not have good opinion about MDNA because of B-day song. Actually I don't know are these songs marked as bonus songs, but it is a bad thing if casual fans don't know that fact.

Yes, but some people don't buy singles regardless of whether it has a B side. I don't buy singles personally because I don't like all those remixes. And a lot of times singles now are just digital rather than physical so you'd only get a digital copy of the B side. I'd rather have a deluxe version cd rather than a collection of singles. If every other artist is selling extra copies with two versions, why should Madonna be required to not do that and thus miss out on some sales. I really don't think most people who may be more casual fans would not buy the standard waiting for a deluxe. Aren't they usually released around the same time? I don't get the big issue with deluxe version. And I don't see anything wrong with the title I Fucked Up. Don't we all say that from time to time? Or are you so perfect you don't say it and you don't fuck up to begin with?

Am I the only one who just likes Madonna's music. Every. Single. Album? I'm genuinely a fan of all of her output. Sure, there is a few throwaway tracks (looking at you Bday Song) - but, like jazzyjan said, I just skip them.

Borderline, same here. I don't love every single song but love every single album. There is always so many great songs to choose from on every Madonna album.

Glinda, totally agree with the way you listen to your music. I never listen to an album and treat it like a novel with a story to tell. I listen to Madonna's music all the time in the car, at home and when I am out walking. I mix all of her albums up and to me the story begins and end with the song itself. I can listen to beautiful ballads with deep meanings such as Live to Tell and This used to be my playground and then straight away listen to Into the Groove, Music and Celebration. Then follow up with romantic love songs such as Cherish and True Blue. Whatever, I enjoy it all and can skip or choose to take and leave songs. It is the same with different genres and different artists. What about various tapes and greatest hits. They are not story tellers but are essentials in many people's collections. The only music that I find I like to listen to in completion is classical music but even then can switch around.

Back to the ballad thing. I love her ballads but I'm not sure that releasing a ballad as a single would guarantee a hit like some people here think. Yes, it would be played on AC stations in the US or BBC2, but would lead to a big hit? If you listen to AC stations in the US, the majority of the stuff they play maybe 70% is older songs because older people often like to hear songs they know from their youth. They add new ballads but they don't play them that many times a day like Top 40 stations play the latest hits. If you look at the BBC2 playlist, I've never heard of a lot of the songs on their playlist so it's not leading to them being big hits. I like her ballads and she could do more but I don't think releasing a ballad is the magic answer to her having a huge hit and an album like a lot of people here think. If she wants to do ballads great, but I don't think she should just do them because people are telling her she needs to appeal to a mature audience and a ballad will do that.

Yes, but some people don't buy singles regardless of whether it has a B side. I don't buy singles personally because I don't like all those remixes. And a lot of times singles now are just digital rather than physical so you'd only get a digital copy of the B side. I'd rather have a deluxe version cd rather than a collection of singles. If every other artist is selling extra copies with two versions, why should Madonna be required to not do that and thus miss out on some sales. I really don't think most people who may be more casual fans would not buy the standard waiting for a deluxe. Aren't they usually released around the same time? I don't get the big issue with deluxe version. And I don't see anything wrong with the title I Fucked Up. Don't we all say that from time to time? Or are you so perfect you don't say it and you don't fuck up to begin with?

I say it, but swearing in songs is a different thing. I expect more poetic lyrics or smart metaphors. Swearing lowers the quality of the song.