Young fans compared to older fans...

So, do you like GMAYL? :1251:

I do. Its certainly not my favorite song but I don't mind it at all.

I've always been aware of her but became obsessed with her back when the Confessions Tour aired on T.V and I was instantly hooked, at the time it was the most amazing thing i'd ever seen, the dancing, the singing, the perfect body and flawless face and back to back amazing songs. I'm 20 and while I dont think there is too much of a difference between the older fans I have come across some older fans with a sense of superiority over the fact that they've lived through more madonna than me.

To suggest that any real Madonna fan is against "change" is kind of counter-intuitive. Madonna's entire career is based on change and evolution. I think you're confusing "change" with "good music." Some of us object to shit, not change.

Anyway, I became a fan at the age of 10, when LAP came out, and while I was aware of her music prior to that and knew many of her hit songs, I remember discovering all of her previous 80s output and thinking there was so much to catch up on. I can't imagine becoming a fan today or even 10 years ago. It must be overwhelming...in a good way.

Older M fans are more stubborn they are less receptive to change in other words they are "stuck" in the past.

This is an incorrect statement.

Being an "older" fan myself. Madonna's many reincarnations is part of her appeal for me. I look forward to the change and I'm constantly anticipating what she's going to come up with next. Madonna IS change.

Edited by WeboGirl

This is an incorrect statement.

Being an "older" fan myself. Madonna's many reincarnations is part of her appeal for me. I look forward to the change and I'm constantly anticipating what she's going to come up with next. Madonna IS change.

:thumbsup:

I'm curious to hear what its like to discover a whole body of work prior to becoming a fan; music, concerts, movies, etc.

I'm curious too. I've been on the ride since I first heard 'Holiday' (when I was 13 year old). It's nice to see younger M fans hop on the ride during the Erotica or Ray of Light eras. What drew them to her? For me, it was her green socks in the Borderline video. LOL

Young fans compared to older fans...?

easy, younger ones are stupid.

Ironic.

Well I'm 21. I became a fan of Conessions in 05, but I didn't become a true Madonna fan until Hard Candy. It's a little funny because at that time, the differences between those two albums was so jarring that I didn't "get" Hard Candy initially. But once I did, I listened to that album daily, would blast it and dance to it in my room, like I imagine some older fans would do in the eighties and nineties. I decided to listen to her older albums, starting with American Life backwards. It was always surprising to hear how many of her songs that I had heard throughout my life actually belonged to her.

I don't think there are many differences between older and younger fans though. Everyone wants the same things: great musical output, a strong image, controversy, artistic value, her success. I think what varies (and it's hardly an age thing) is a person's level of expectation in regards to how "forward thinking" her output is. I mean, I became a fan during Hard Candy and I've never been one to analyze music in the context of what's trendy at the time, so if her music isn't necessarily trend setting, I'm fine with that. There are certain groups of fans (which I'd assume are those which became fans in the ROL-AL eras, but still exist at all ages) that want Madonna to be constantly thinking ahead of the game in terms of her sound. It's kinda an age thing, but not really. That's how I see it.

Another difference is media and technology. I think young fans take for granted the access which is available. The first time I heard Holiday I was floored. I loved it and wanted to hear it again so badly. I stayed up all night listening to the radio waiting for them to play it again. I had my tape recorder and little mic set-up next to the radio speaker so I could record it. And, I always got the stupid deejay talking over the beginning of the song. Or, my brother would walk in and make noise (which also got recorded).

To suggest that any real Madonna fan is against "change" is kind of counter-intuitive. Madonna's entire career is based on change and evolution. I think you're confusing "change" with "good music." Some of us object to shit, not change.

:clap:

I'm 25, and I guess I was always sort of aware of M, but I didn't really notice her until watching "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" on MTV back in 1996.

However, even though I bought the Ray of Light and Music albums, it took me a while to get into the albums as bodies of work, and I didn't become a fan as such until the AL era started with "Die Another Day", to the chagrin of my mother, who can't stand Madonna.

Discovering Madonna's back-catalogue has been a gradual process for me, and I have yet to see any of her pre-Evita films, apart from Who's That Girl.

Another difference is media and technology. I think young fans take for granted the access which is available. The first time I heard Holiday I was floored. I loved it and wanted to hear it again so badly. I stayed up all night listening to the radio waiting for them to play it again. I had my tape recorder and little mic set-up next to the radio speaker so I could record it. And, I always got the stupid deejay talking over the beginning of the song. Or, my brother would walk in and make noise (which also got recorded).

oooooooooooooth! I used to do that too!!! fortunately they used to air madonna´s new lead single every our for the first days...but there was nearly no information in the preinternet era here, that sometimes it was a question of luck to hear her new songs...and of course the dj talking, the radio channel´s ad...

Honestly, the length and scope of Madonna's career is just overwhelming. I can't believe she's been at it for thirty years. But what really puts me in awe is watching her live performances: skipping from Vogue at The Girlie Show through to the MDNA version really brings home just how incredible she is.

You ask how "new" fans feel about M? Well, I always wonder how the fans who were there at the beginning must feel. Did you honestly think she'd still be going strong in thirty years? What was it like seeing the Like a Prayer video for the first time? Or hearing the change in her voice for Ray of Light? Exploding from a disco ball? I'm really quite jealous that you've watched it all play out era by era. :p

Although it seemed to drag on forever between eras, she really didn't 'go away" until 1988. 1 whole year! LOL. it seemed like forever!

I have to say that there were moments that I wasn't sure how to process what I was seeing (Justify My Love) because they were images that

just did not accompany music videos on MTV at the time, and as a teen it felt like I was sneaking into a rated R movie.

Her scope of social awareness was more of a microscope.

She's prevailed for all the years because of her insistance on saying and presenting what she wants. Although Erotica and SEX were a really hard

time to be a fan without getting angry at everyone! She was HATED by most everyone, even some fans left for a while.

I can only imagine what it would have been like with internet during that time.

Though she always intrigued me with her ever-changing look, I wasn't a fan at first, second, third, or fourth glance.

My mother was a Diana Ross/ Prince/ MJ loon, so Madonna had to sneak her way into my life. I'd catch a glimpse of her here & there: the Human Nature video is my FIRST memory if her, and that introduction was forever etched into my 5 year old brain, due to the fact that I had never seen a white woman with cornrows at the time).

My father is all about some soul music, so her Love Don't Live Here Anymore rendition got frequent plays at my house; that was our second interaction. In the fifth grade, I caught a glimpse of Who's That Girl on some camp-movie marathon & it was... yeah :lol:

I vaguely remember seeing the ROL-era videos on various music channels, but it wasn't until the DWT premiered on HBO that I really decided to look further into who this Madonna woman actually was...

At thirteen, I went to the movies to see Die Another Day with my father (cuz we're into macho things like Bond flicks) and there she was AGAIN. :shock: The entire American Life era (the videos, the attitude, the collab with Missy) was right up my alley. I was slowly getting into her.

Musically, COADF didn't really do much for me, but there was one shining gem on that album; GET TOGETHER. That shit hit me like a ton of bricks, aurally. :wow: There was still hope! Luckily, Bravo TV aired the Confessions Tour which introduced me to La Isla, Lucky Star, and the other classics.

Lastly, HC came, changed my 16 year old life, I bought my S&S ticket, joined this forum, and the rest is history :fag:

I used to record from the radio too! LOL. I had a 60 minute tape with Like A Virgin, Crazy for You, Material Girl, and Into the Groove only. If only there was satellite radio back then! No DJ blabber!

OMG. I did that too. Although I had one of those radio-/tape recorder combos. At some point I realized all I had to do was to press the "record" button while the radio was on to have it recorded. Well, I was very young. LOL And you always had to do the math, because the maximum capacity of a tape (well, one side) was 45 minutes and it happened that the tape was at end but the song was not. Good old times. :laugh:

I used to record from the radio too! LOL. I had a 60 minute tape with Like A Virgin, Crazy for You, Material Girl, and Into the Groove only. If only there was satellite radio back then! No DJ blabber!

The best chance to get a proper recording was during a Top 40 show which were once a week. If I recall correctly it was on a Tursday evening from 8.00 p.m. to 10.00 p.m.

Anyone old enough to be a fan from the start will know that transition from LAV to TB was the biggest shock. With 85 all about rats nest hair and bangles, when she appeared in the Live To Tell video in an old dress and no jewellery, it was unbelievable. Then came the LAP controversy, so I would say, us older fans are nowhere near as shocked as younger fans when she goes in another direction. It always was part of being a Madonna fan. We might not like a new direction, but we're not shocked.

And yes, we're obssessed with 80s Madonna as it was such an amazing era, if not the best - it was the original Madonna from the streets of New York - completely raw. You can't begin to imagine what it was like when she exploded in 85! Amazing style, great pop songs, fantastic videos. She came out of nowhere. So much of what we take for granted in pop nowadays is down to her - multiple backing dancers, theatrical shows, overt performances. When she appeared on TOTP in a pink wig for LAV in 84, that was considered crazy at the time. MTV wasn't easily available in the UK so a couple of minutes on TOTP was all we would see of her videos. Material Girl video was unbelievable and got me hooked.

I never thought about her picking up new fans along the way until the internet came along. I still find it amusing when people say they were a fan since ROL or Confessions! I can't imagine what it's like to have missed the first twenty years of her career.

I always find something to love on every album and look forward to the next transition.

I can recall a time when I was a young Madonna fan.

Now that I am 30 I think its safe to say I have joined the lot of the old Madonna fans. :laugh:

Most fans from the early 90's Madonna are just bitter about the 'current' Madonna. And by 'current' I mean since her big change back in 1998. Since that year I've seen all kinds of bitter comments about her career moves. Back then it was all like 'I want fun Madonna from the 80's back!', then 'I want Dita back!', and now 'I want Esther/Veronica Electronica back!' :lmao:

Most fans from the early 90's Madonna are just bitter about the 'current' Madonna. And by 'current' I mean since her big change back in 1998. Since that year I've seen all kinds of bitter comments about her career moves. Back then it was all like 'I want fun Madonna from the 80's back!', then 'I want Dita back!', and now 'I want Esther/Veronica Electronica back!' :lmao:

I know what you mean. Its like her making another album with any of the collaborators of that time. She doesn't really look back, and why should she? Most people that have a career

are working TOWARDS something, not being nostalgic about how they arrived there. Would I love to hear another song with Pat Leonard? Sure, but i'm not gonna pine away for it to happen either. :laugh: Talk about a waste of time!

I'm happy to see how so many younger fans were exposed to her music. My niece is 17 and between me and her mom, she loves Madonna and more or less respects her above all the other divas.

I was born in 1997 and I've always known about Madonna even when I was 3 years old and mam used to have the Music CD (I used to get her and P!nk mixed up, don't ask why) but I never knew of her legendary status until I was older. I used to listen to COADF in the car all the time (my favorite was Isaac even though I was about 8 at the time) and I remember always seeing "Hung Up, Sorry, 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me and Celebration" on the TV, but MDNA is the first era where I can actually consider myself a fan (or more than a fan, really).

Ironic that one minute fans are spouting the 'age ain't nothing but a number' mantra and the next they're posting in a thread where people's opinions and knowledge are judged based on age. :lol:

Ironic that one minute fans are spouting the 'age ain't nothing but a number' mantra and the next they're posting in a thread where people's opinions and knowledge are judged based on age. :lol:

I don't think its so ironic, but I never say things so trite about age either. I really just wanted to know how it looked or felt to discover something that existed before fans were born or were aware of.

I've been sitting on the edge of my seat for the better part of 30 years, so my opinions are based on time and experience, not necessarily age. Nor am I trying to judge anyone based on age either.

I was born in 1997 and I've always known about Madonna even when I was 3 years old and mam used to have the Music CD (I used to get her and P!nk mixed up, don't ask why) but I never knew of her legendary status until I was older. I used to listen to COADF in the car all the time (my favorite was Isaac even though I was about 8 at the time) and I remember always seeing "Hung Up, Sorry, 4 Minutes, Give It 2 Me and Celebration" on the TV, but MDNA is the first era where I can actually consider myself a fan (or more than a fan, really).

:clap: cute story.

Guest Xanthium

I'm 36 and my earliest memories of Madge were 1986/1987. I remember the True Blue and Who's That Girl eras as my first real introduction to her. I don't remember the LAV era but I was given the LAV cassette during 86/87. Personally, I love having grown up with Madge and being able to follow her career very closely. She's like family to me, she's a part of my consciousness.

I was born in '91 & had always loved her singles & considered her the Queen of Pop but it wasn't until last year that I became the fan I am today. I was excited when I found out she was performing on the Superbowl. When the performance happened, I was blown away! From that moment on, I've been obsessed. I have since bought all her albums and seen her live! The MDNA Tour was the best experience ever! I can't imagine not being a huge Madonna fan now!