Young fans compared to older fans...

Well, it is a matter of taste. I don't think of them as buggle gum fillers. I love Pretender for example. I just feel that too many people become almost snobs when describing Madonna's earlier albums. Not every song has to have a message or be serious. It is the same with MDNA. I understand people hating GMAYL as it was used as a lead single when there were so many better songs but kind of wonder why fans keep going on and on about how much they hate Superstar and Some girls. They are simply 2 tracks on the album that were not used as singles. It is perfectly fine to hate them if you please but it is almost like people have melt-downs over them and worrying over songs that are not even singles is over-reacting. I mean, just skip them when you play the CD. Anyway, I adore the serious, personal songs but also appreciate the less serious pop classics as well.

Do you imagine being now like 14 and discovering Madonna and having to UNDERSTAND the increidlble evolution and revolution that she made? I recall once having an argument here with somebody who thought that Like a Virgin was bubblegum pop full of fillers and i was simply shocked. That person had zero idea about the cultural impact that that album made! And that happens with True Blue, that made him the GLOBAL superstar, or Like a Prayer, so daring, and on and on and on...

I honestly can't imagine becoming a new fan currently, simply because of the VOLUME of information, history, albums, videos, tours, pictures, interviews, movies, etc etc etc that one would have to research and experience in order to see it all and get the full picture and impact. I'm not saying that all fans HAVE to do that in order to be a fan, everyone has their own way! I'm just saying that if you wanted to see and know it all, it's a monumental task. There's 30+ solid years of nonstop material and news.

Well, it is a matter of taste. I don't think of them as buggle gum fillers. I love Pretender for example. I just feel that too many people become almost snobs when describing Madonna's earlier albums. Not every song has to have a message or be serious. It is the same with MDNA. I understand people hating GMAYL as it was used as a lead single when there were so many better songs but kind of wonder why fans keep going on and on about how much they hate Superstar and Some girls. They are simply 2 tracks on the album that were not used as singles. It is perfectly fine to hate them if you please but it is almost like people have melt-downs over them and worrying over songs that are not even singles is over-reacting. I mean, just skip them when you play the CD. Anyway, I adore the serious, personal songs but also appreciate the less serious pop classics as well.

There's this constant misrepresentation by other fans of what some of us have said about certain songs. We don't dislike GMAYL because it's a fun, silly pop song. We dislike it because it's fucking terrible. For example, "Music" is a silly, fun pop song, but I love that song. Why? Because it was fresh, different, innovative, and executed perfectly. It was also obviously tongue-in-cheek. Some of M's fans love to interpret the dislike for a song like GMAYL as a dislike for anything unserious, but that just seems like denial to me. It's easier to say "Oh, you just don't like that kind of song" than it is to admit that the quality just plain stinks.

There's this constant misrepresentation by other fans of what some of us have said about certain songs. We don't dislike GMAYL because it's a fun, silly pop song. We dislike it because it's fucking terrible. For example, "Music" is a silly, fun pop song, but I love that song. Why? Because it was fresh, different, innovative, and executed perfectly. It was also obviously tongue-in-cheek. Some of M's fans love to interpret the dislike for a song like GMAYL as a dislike for anything unserious, but that just seems like denial to me. It's easier to say "Oh, you just don't like that kind of song" than it is to admit that the quality just plain stinks.

You misread my post. I understand people hating GMAYL as I don't like it either. It was a lead single and should not have been. I was referring to non-singles such as the ones you mentioned on her first 3 albums and also Superstar and Some girls. In saying that, there is nothing wrong with hating a song but sometimes the way people are mocked for happening to like certain songs is just arrogant. Luckily this forum is not filled with these people but on some others, fans who happen to like MDNA or songs on Like a virgin are called mindless sheep and idiots who know nothing about music.

I honestly can't imagine becoming a new fan currently, simply because of the VOLUME of information, history, albums, videos, tours, pictures, interviews, movies, etc etc etc that one would have to research and experience in order to see it all and get the full picture and impact. I'm not saying that all fans HAVE to do that in order to be a fan, everyone has their own way! I'm just saying that if you wanted to see and know it all, it's a monumental task. There's 30+ solid years of nonstop material and news.

it has taken me YEARS, and I think I am now at a point where I know most of it. Rarely will there be a photo I haven't seen or a song or something. But like I said earlier, I have liked M for about 8 years, considered myself a fan for 5, and only been a loon for like the last 2, and it has only been in the last 6 months or so that I have felt like I can... not close a door on it, but just move on with M as a current artist.

Since I've been a fan (loon) under two years, I still learn new things all the time. When I first got into her, I read two books about her and bought all her albums so I am pretty well informed but I still learn new things all the time like her falling out with gwenyth etc

LAV has "fillers" but back then you could listen to it from the beginning to the end and don't skip a song! well, at least i didn't skip one, hahaha. Whenever one was over, the next one was so incredible! Material Girl ended and came Angel, and came Like a Virgin, and came Over and Over, and then LDLHA and you had your vinyl on the b side and came ITG, then Dress You Up, then Shoo Be, then Pretender and then Stay that is so glorious!!!!

That happens too with Michael Jackson's 'Bad'. And then Madonna released True Blue and that was joy all the time! PDP, Open Your Heart, White Heat, Live To Tell... bside, and there's WTP, La Isla, Jimmy Jimmy (i think that was the first song i didn't like from Madonna, haha) and Love Makes, that is glorious again.

All albums always did have fillers - itunes has proved that by killing the album market because people can just buy the songs they like.

The reason I liked Madonna was because there was way less filler on her albums. When I got Like A Virgin 12" I flipped it over and expected to hear a rubbish track but heard 'Stay' instead which I loved as much, if not more than LAV and stil do!

^ I've always liked "Stay" as well, but it's clearly not single material and isn't really a "classic" like "Dress You Up" and "Material Girl."

You misread my post. I understand people hating GMAYL as I don't like it either. It was a lead single and should not have been. I was referring to non-singles such as the ones you mentioned on her first 3 albums and also Superstar and Some girls. In saying that, there is nothing wrong with hating a song but sometimes the way people are mocked for happening to like certain songs is just arrogant. Luckily this forum is not filled with these people but on some others, fans who happen to like MDNA or songs on Like a virgin are called mindless sheep and idiots who know nothing about music.

Oh, sorry. I would never mock someone for liking a song I didn't like. Except maybe "Can't Stop." Or "Jimmy Jimmy." Okay, maybe I would. But I see your point. I disliked "Superstar" quite a bit when I first heard it. But it's grown on me and I find it innocuous and harmless. In other words, "filler."

Guest Pud Whacker

I love Cant Stop!

who doesnt?

i always imagine these people that say they hate these songs as if theyre sitting there clenching their fists and being all uptight when they hear it. :rotfl:

Guest Pud Whacker

I think LAV (the album) is her best output from the 80's. I was shocked when I joined this forum & realized that most of the mature queens did not agree. :shock:

What's that about?

never understood that one either. Like a Virgin is fabulous from Material Girl to Stay.

• 7 months later...
Guest Ken Alexandre Meridi

I'm 16 years old and I've been loving Madonna since confessions I remember wattching hung up on vh1 before I would go to school and I've been a fan ever since younger fans mostly gravitate towards Confessions / MDNA/Hard Candy and her 1st two albums and older fans are more of Erotica ROL I personally like Ray of Light it's her best

One reason I like M-Nation is there is a good balance between older fans like me, (I'm 37yo) and younger fans in their 20's...

I'm curious to hear what its like to discover a whole body of work prior to becoming a fan; music, concerts, movies, etc.

I've been a fan since I was 8yo and Lucky Star was on the radio, so its almost impossible for me to remember those earlier hits with

an objective point of view; my first impression is so etched into my brain, it's like Gospel at this point. LOL.

for example:

I can't hear Lucky Star without doing the video choreography (as my 8yo self) in my head,

When the Papa Don't Preach video world premeired on MTV, my mom made us watch as a family because she found it to be an important

"message" song and video. That's most likely because she was 3 months pregnant w/ my older brother when she married my dad...the day after high school graduation.

If i see the Like A Prayer video, the first time I saw it was right after the premiere on a Sunday morning before the family went to church. No joke!

I remember my jaw was on the floor, and neither one of my parents were able to talk to me because they were so shocked.

So those memories kinda take over the whole experience of revisiting.

Sorry if this is a dumb topic, I'm just curious.

I would say 37 is more mid-range aged on Madonnanation. The older fans are in their late 40s-50s on here.

I'm 16 years old and I've been loving Madonna since confessions I remember wattching hung up on vh1 before I would go to school and I've been a fan ever since younger fans mostly gravitate towards Confessions / MDNA/Hard Candy and her 1st two albums and older fans are more of Erotica ROL I personally like Ray of Light it's her best

Welcome <3

I would say 37 is more mid-range aged on Madonnanation. The older fans are in their late 40s-50s on here.

lol i don't know anyone here of that age, or perhaps a few turned to gaga and are at the other shore now.

i think it's between 16 and 45.

Late 40s/50s....? Not many of that vintage around here. I agree with Nikki - I'd say 45 would be the upper limit here (with the odd exception). Of course, that will change over the next 5 years, as those who were tweens when "Holiday" was released break the 45 barrier and hurtle towards 50 :thumbsup:

Guest SecretGarden

I'm in my 20s, so I guess I'm a relatively young fan. I think Madonna fans have varying tastes but I sense that young fans are more inclined to say they favourite era and album is Ray of light while the more older fans appreciate Blond Ambition and Like a Prayer more.

PLEASE...DON'T TELL ME.....THAT I'M THE OLDER ONE.... :scared:

I WONDER IF THE YOUNGER ONE, APART FROM LISTENING TO HER ALBUMS AND SEEING VIDEOS AND CONCERTS, ALSO GO LOOKING FOR ARTICLES, INTERVIEWS, ETC, TRYING TO HAVE AN IDEA OF WHAT IT WAS MADONNA FOR HER FANS IN THE 80S AND 90S AND HER ARTISTIC AND CULTURAL IMPACT....

Thank you for making me feel like a dinosaur AND you have excellent taste .

I'm 30 and a fan since '90.

I remember Vogue and Dick Tracey coming out. The epic Blond Ambition controversy went over my head as I was only 6 but my parents recorded the Australian broadcast of Live in Barcelona and I recall to this day my mum objecting to her 3 young children watching the show as 'what about when she puts her hands between her legs' but luckily my Dad over ruled her and the rest was history. I was 6 and my two sisters were 4 and 2 and I recall we raced out of bed the next morning and putting the VHS on and just being totallly in awe by this naughty

woman. Mum needn't have worried as all the

crutch grabbing went over our heads, the swearing was bleeped and the masturbation scene was edited out. I do also recall the 3 of us giggling at the men in bra's though.

I remember every second of the Justufy My Love controversy, the Nightline interview and all the TV coverage. I remember Rock the Vote and the release of TIC and crying when I unwrapped it on my birthday. We wore out the BA tape but lucky for us in OZ, it was rebroadcast 6 months later 6 months later and I still have the VHS to this day.

The rest gets clearer, like the release of SEX and my parents not allowing me to have a copy of Erotica (my nanna had to sneak it to me a year later) and I recall the hysteria when she came to Australia for the first time.

I've been a fan ever since and never strayed once.