Young fans compared to older fans...

I was born in '91 and vividly remember my mom and I going crazy to "Ray of Light" in the car. it was huge. I missed her @ her commercial peak but "Music" and "Hung Up" were massive & I caught the premiers of both.

I'm stopped a lot by older M fans when I'm wearing shirts of her. :lol: as much as we're not a fan base with a pet name Madonna fans embrace one-another, it's always been that way @ her concerts.

keep in mind '80sdonna is still very fashionable. Streetstyle today has pieces of her all over.

tumblr_ltmz4oAQU61qadupho1_500.gif

Guest Pud Whacker

i have so much to say in here but ill keep it really short. i have always found the younger fans less tolerant of madonna's changes post Ray of Light. the early fans always expect change, thats how we were weaned. early fans lived through early madonna being associated with R&B music. ray of lighters cant stand when madonna leans that direction. thats a little fact later fans and ignorant fans have to deal with.

The first Madonna song I ever heard was Take a Bow, i was born in '92 so i was just four when it was being played here in the philippines. I remember that there was a big deal about her and evita and i heard you must love me and dont cry for me argentina, i always heard like a virgin nd material girl on the radio and a karaoke favourite here in the philippines is crazy for you, it was sung t every birthday party i attended lol.

By 2001 i started to notice her, i just watched the GHV2 Thunderpuss edit on MTV n i was fascinated, music was always on the radio here and weirdly everyone here knows that song, but not ray of light or frozen. Dont tel me was stuck on my mind for years, i never bothered to look for it until about 2007.

I started to become a loon when channel V broadcasted the Confessions tour, i was amazed, it was PERFECTION, i was confused, i downloaded erotica n it sounded totally different from the show, it was then i realized what a chameleon she really is, she reinvented that song. My favourites from that era was hung up, get together and the new erotica, from then on ive been a loon lol, i discovered her entire back catalog slowly, took me bout three years XD

Hi! I've been a fan since Girl Gone Wild release, so I'm a very new fan. Yes, I am one of the rare cases where MDNA converted me! I have a high respect for her older fans: they have stay committed to her for year.... some for most of career. That is something I find to be amazing!

As I won Golden Triangle tickets for the Charlotte show, I met so many fans, ranging from 20s - 50s. I talked to many of them, and it was incredible how much they were committed to Madonna. I do respect that!

I do see though (I'm one of them) where new M fans tend to go on the her newer material, versus their older material. I rarely listen to her first albums, besides the singles, and I don't go near Erotica / Bedtime Stories. Music is about the oldest album I find myself still listening to regularly. But I will sometimes pull up Ray Of Light or Like A Prayer! And True Blue is great too!!

i have so much to say in here but ill keep it really short. i have always found the younger fans less tolerant of madonna's changes post Ray of Light. the early fans always expect change, thats how we were weaned. early fans lived through early madonna being associated with R&B music. ray of lighters cant stand when madonna leans that direction. thats a little fact later fans and ignorant fans have to deal with.

That's debatable. My cousin who is older than me and a major Erotica loon can't stand Madonna since the Bedtime Stories and has consistently criticized every work she has done ever since. For him she is an hypocritical woman that can't "accept" her age. Nowadays he says he loved the COAD album and ROL but it's funny to see him praising those albuns whem at the time he completely hated it.

I follow Madonna daily from ROL onwards. That makes me a "Ray of Lighter" and i'm ok with that. She disgusted me a few times during the HC era YES :lol: but eventually i learned to cope with her different personas and accepted it for what it is. ;)

I always felt that she reached her biggest momentum with ROL and Music. AL wasn't at all what i expected. But that was MY mistake at the time. To expect something from Madonna. As i grew older i learned how blessing i am to be a fan of such a chameleon woman that keeps delivering and making me experience different things in life. :)

its obvious youre not a real fan

I notice that young fans (especially those she made with ROL) seem to think she's that invincible superwoman who can't do wrong. And if you disagree, then you are a bitter old queen who works a hairdresser. I have the feeling that older ones, those who lived the DIFFICULT period of BOE/Erotica have a mind more open and are used to their artist being openly critsized.

oh,we almost think the same, Pud babe!

Hi! I've been a fan since Girl Gone Wild release, so I'm a very new fan. Yes, I am one of the rare cases where MDNA converted me! I have a high respect for her older fans: they have stay committed to her for year.... some for most of career. That is something I find to be amazing!

As I won Golden Triangle tickets for the Charlotte show, I met so many fans, ranging from 20s - 50s. I talked to many of them, and it was incredible how much they were committed to Madonna. I do respect that!

I do see though (I'm one of them) where new M fans tend to go on the her newer material, versus their older material. I rarely listen to her first albums, besides the singles, and I don't go near Erotica / Bedtime Stories. Music is about the oldest album I find myself still listening to regularly. But I will sometimes pull up Ray Of Light or Like A Prayer! And True Blue is great too!!

go away

You have no idea what you are missing! You can't get more Madonna then the Erotica album.

I'm 46 and was in high school (1984) when I heard Holiday! Everyone loved her and I grew up with her and her music. It was a special time and I'm glad I didn't miss it! With that said I like all her shit and am not stuck in the past.

I find that MOST of us older fans have the same outlook. I'm always looking forward to hearing a new sound from her or a new image to see.

Those younger fans that are throwing around that we're stuck in the past, simply don't have the reference of remembering the past. The do however have the reference

of youtube, wikipedia, and magazine archives that can give a sense of what it must've been like, but don't have the power of experiencing for example: HBO's Blond Ambition Live broadcast,

The Pepsi commercial fiasco vs. Like A Prayer video, Justify My Love, Truth Or Dare in the theaters, The SEX Book... you know what I'm getting at.

I'm happy to share those memories (from a fan's perspective)as it completes for younger fans that wonder what if must've been like.

There are a minority of younger fans that seem to think doing research and spouting out the "facts" makes them better fans. One in particular springs to mind.

But I think as a whole this forum is a great balance of the full spectrum of Madonna's fans.

I really enjoy sharing experiences and opinions with all of you.

Totally. In MY opinion Hard Candy is pure Madonna. For fucks sake before people knew why she looked like they thought she was black.

I'm therefore calling myself a LUCKY STAR-er. As that was the first song of hers I ever heard.

That's an insane statement! :lol:

Totally. In MY opinion Hard Candy is pure Madonna. For fucks sake before people knew why she looked like they thought she was black.

I'm therefore calling myself a LUCKY STAR-er. As that was the first song of hers I ever heard.

I am in total agreement. And I'm a Lucky Star-er too .

We must be her Lucky Stars? :-)

I am in total agreement. And I'm a Lucky Star-er too .

We must be her Lucky Stars? :-)

In that case, that would make me a Virgin :huh:

I can't believe some people don't listen to all the albums. I have my favourites but there isn't one album I don't listen to via a song or remix.

I was born in 1992, I became a fan around age 10 when Music/American Life were out. However, I was not a fan from those albums. I found The Immaculate Collection on the side of the road in front of my house while waiting for the bus, lol. Half of the CD skipped so I grew up listening to mostly hits from her first two albums. My mom used to say that someone's going to have to play "Borderline" at my wedding, and I got an earful for explaining what a virgin is to the other kids in the neighborhood. I was so in love with her, but I don't remember needing to "find out" who she was. It was like she's just someone you're born already knowing.

Over the years I obviously saw her more and more and then really dove into fandom around Confessions when I was in middle school. That's when I discovered there was way more to her then just catchy pop songs. As far as musical changes, I really love when she does new stuff. One of my reasons for liking her is that she doesn't repeat herself.

I dont think it's as cut and dry as how are old fans compared to young fans, I think every fan is different and you'll find varying opinions with each side, no matter the age.

I say "compare" for a lack of a better term, my point was to discuss how younger fans discovered Madonna and how it felt to hear many years worth of material at the same time. I know we all have different points of view and tastes.

My earliest memory is the "Material Girl" video. We didn't have cable, so I saw it at a relative's house. I don't remember having any strong feeling about it, probably because I was six. Then I remember my older sister buying the "Who's That Girl" 7" single and hearing that a lot. I was much more into Debbie Gibson and Samantha Fox at that time. No Madonna song really grabbed me until "Like a Prayer." It just was unlike anything I'd ever heard (at 9 years old). It was just so different and...special. And her voice was magical. The promos for the commercial definitely got my attention, and I remember hearing about the video but not seeing it until way later, again since we didn't have cable. My sister got the cassette single and I got the LAP album on tape for my 10th birthday. I remember listening to it and going to my mother and telling her it was "weird." She listened to it and looked at the packaging and said something along the lines of "Yeah, I knew she'd eventually pick up on her name and get religious."

Then "Vogue" came out a year later and the rest is (gay) history....

By the way, my mom is still a big fan. Around the time of AL she started to lose interest in the actual music though, especially since everything M does now is really aggressive and dance. My mom loved the 94 - 2000 era. My sister is also still a fan, but is more into country now. Barf.

Guest Pud Whacker

People who don't have the "Madonna" album in their life are so missing out

if one has to explain from this till now - i mean, really.

tumblr_mnjv4t6jpc1qlycwjo1_1280.jpg

Do you imagine being now like 14 and discovering Madonna and having to UNDERSTAND the increidlble evolution and revolution that she made? I recall once having an argument here with somebody who thought that Like a Virgin was bubblegum pop full of fillers and i was simply shocked. That person had zero idea about the cultural impact that that album made! And that happens with True Blue, that made him the GLOBAL superstar, or Like a Prayer, so daring, and on and on and on...

Do you imagine being now like 14 and discovering Madonna and having to UNDERSTAND the increidlble evolution and revolution that she made? I recall once having an argument here with somebody who thought that Like a Virgin was bubblegum pop full of fillers and i was simply shocked. That person had zero idea about the cultural impact that that album made! And that happens with True Blue, that made him the GLOBAL superstar, or Like a Prayer, so daring, and on and on and on...

Like a virgin is a classic album. It was the start of Madonna becoming a superstar. True Blue confirmed her as a Superstar and Like a Prayer cemented it. I have nothing but absolute love for all 3 of those albums and think they are incredibly underated. The so-called fillers that people talk about are actually fantastic pop songs that could have been hits themselves if released ( well, most of them anyway ) I love Madonna's later albums with a passion as well but like you, don't understand how people can dismiss her earlier work. Her first album is also brilliant.

The LAV album had a huge cultural impact in terms of little girls emulating Madonna's style, and songs like ITG were definitely influential, but I'm an "older" fan and I don't really see how saying it's full of bubble gum pop and fillers is inaccurate. Madonna was deservedly considered a "singles artist" until LAP. I don't know how anyone can say "Jimmy Jimmy," "Pretender," or "I Know It" (just to pick one example from each of her early albums) are on the same level as her biggest hits. These songs were never intended to be hits and they certainly weren't the kind of experimental or personal non-singles that can be found on later albums like LAP or Erotica.

Madonna and True Blue in particular are fantastic pop album, largely because of the strength of the singles, but they aren't on the same level as her later masterpieces. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's called growth and maturity.