Young fans compared to older fans...

Well according to the Little Monsters all of Madonna's fan are eldergays with AIDS who are over the age of 60 and who will be dying off soon so Gags can replace her as Queen.

Which is funny since personally I've never once met or even ran into at her concerts a 60 year old plus Madonna fan.

Whatever makes them sleep at night

If only those amazing fans who fought with aids were still alive today. It's very sad. The truth is many fans of m have died of aids. Many also would be over 60. Many are over 60. It's not any less cool to be a fan at any age or to be fighting with any disease. The monsters are so uncool and ignorant. Don't follow their lead.

Well according to the Little Monsters all of Madonna's fan are eldergays with AIDS who are over the age of 60 and who will be dying off soon so Gags can replace her as Queen.

Which is funny since personally I've never once met or even ran into at her concerts a 60 year old plus Madonna fan.

Whatever makes them sleep at night

My mom went to me to MDNA & she's in her mid-seventies! I also remember during S & S there was a woman in her sixties or seventies who was dancing up a storm in the aisle for each song. Awesome to watch her fun :excl::excl:

Age is irrelevant. It was fantastic to live through but her work creates an alternate eternal and rewarding context all its own.

It's not when you arrive, it's that you arrive. Glad we're all here.

I wouldn't say its irrelevant, as a lot of the posts have shown it is. ;-)

I'm 38, and I consider myself an older fan based on my time served. Lol. I became a fan in 1984 when I was 8 and lucky star hit the radio. I've seen some older fans (age wise) became fans later, and since there is a large amount of (awesome) younger fans in their 20's my curiosity is simply to maybe see through their eyes what her body of work looks and/or sounds like.

For example: the true blue era took a whole year to get to who's that girl, and between the radio, MTV and my turntable I heard that album a million times. Same with Like A Prayer leading to Blond Ambition. She didn't do tons of interviews or promos then, either. The work spoke for itself mostly, and we had to wait. And wait. And wait until the next project happened... With no spoilers. The younger generation of fans has never had to wait like that. And I'm also glad we're all here to share.

I observed (correct me if I am wrong) that us newer fans complain less about M's work. Perhaps, it's because at the back of our minds we know there's not so many years left we can enjoy having new albums so we become more appreciative. Don't take this as a diss to older fans.

I observed (correct me if I am wrong) that us newer fans complain less about M's work.

Well, it's in every queen's genetic code to become more jaded with age, so it's not really their fault. On the other hand, we're young & grateful :wow:

Well, it's in every queen's genetic code to become more jaded with age, so it's not really their fault. On the other hand, we're young & grateful :wow:

Some of us mellow with age, so that theory is out the window. ;-)

And 'grateful' is not the immediate word that springs to my mind with the younger generation.

But I guess I'm old and bitter. Lol!

I'm just glad were all here, and that Madonna keeps on going and creating things for us all to appreciate and dissect :-)

Guest Rachelle of London

Old or young Madonna has the best looking fans! Going to a Madonna concert there's so much eye candy! Male and female!!!

Guest Rachelle of London

I can't believe Joe was born in 1997. :scared:

90s kids are the best!

That's nothing, in Hyde Park I was queuing up with this girl that was younger than Rocco, she was born January 2001! Made me feel ancient hahahaha

90s kids are the best!

That's nothing, in Hyde Park I was queuing up with this girl that was younger than Rocco, she was born January 2001! Made me feel ancient hahahaha

I love your story of how you became a fan at like 4 with BS. Cuz That album holds such a special place in my heart. <3

Guest Rachelle of London

I love your story of how you became a fan at like 4 with BS. Cuz That album holds such a special place in my heart. <3

Awww. It's such a great record.

I am old enough to remember seeing 'Vogue' when it originally aired on MTV. Wasn't around for Virgin.

Well I don't consider myself to be a particularly young or old fan. Somewhere in the middle I guess? I'm in late 20's so of course I don't have any memories of "Like A Virgin" era but remember how huge she was in the 90's. I remember my first introduction to Madonna being the video for "Vogue" on MTV but I really became a fan because of "La Isla Bonita" . I heard it on the radio one day in the car when I was with my Father and immediately loved it and decided that I HAD to have the album. I think I was around 11 then and I've just been a big fan ever since.

I notice that between younger and older fans that younger ones complain more. They are more worried about chart positions,etc. Me personally, I don't care. I'd like to see her continue being a huge success 'cause I love her but it's not what keeps me being a fan.

Madonna has never really disappointed me as an artist. I love all her albums. She's amazing live and she always keeps it interesting. Constructive criticism is fine. Sure, I do it regarding Madonna as well but really she's a nearly perfect artist and lady. I don't have much to complain about regarding her.

She's handled herself and her career tremendously well. I think it's great though that she seems to have a lot of younger and older fans. She has a great mix of both.

It just speaks to what a great artist she is.

My strongest early memory of Madonna was waiting for Holiday to come on the radio. Madonna's "Holiday" and Shannon's "Let The Music Play" were my favorite songs at the time. I can't work out my first memory of Madonna. I do remember "Everybody" and I remember loving the video for "Burning Up," but I was obsessed with Holiday and a lot of the new dance music that was coming out. That is probaly when my true fandom started. Before that even at that very young age I was into rock bands and Pat Benatar and Blondie.

I've loved music since I can remember. Before I could read I would play my aunt's records knowing which record it was by the marks on the record or how faded the label was.

I wish I knew the day when I first heard of Madonna. Things weren't that accessible back then. I didn't have MTV yet that year so I had to wait for "Friday Night Videos," or listen non stop to the top 40 radio which I was definitely doing at that point. Other than that you had to wait for a magazine to find out about someone new. There wasn't all this information at your fingertips back then.

One of my most proud moments was going to buy the "Like A Virgin" single at a local department store. I remember that vividly.

I don't know if being an older fan and living through something or being a younger fan and going back and looking up their catalog makes a difference. I know when I hear certain songs, I am transported to that time and everything else that was going on and that might be the only thing missing from a younger fans perspective. When I talk about the early nineties and the backlash that Madonna endured I can describe from actual memory how it felt. As far as the music I think a younger fan can grasp how good a song is but might be less aware of it's cultural impact at the time.

I have wondered how I would view Madonna if I just became a fan. I wouldn't trade those early years for anything though.

I have wondered how I would view Madonna if I just became a fan. I wouldn't trade those early years for anything though.

Beautiful post, Larkspur. And yes, i wouldn't trade that for anything either. In fact, many times i watch the news and they talk about for example 1987 and my mind goes to Who's that Girl... hahaha. And then i can remember loads of things. As if Madonna's music, being omniprsent in my life, can open the gates of my memories.

I can't imagine me not being a fan. I mean, even if i hadn't pay atention to Madonna then because i were for example into heavy metal like my brothers, sooner or later i would have found a place for me in her career. Just as my father discovered her with ROL, or my brother liked Express Yourself because "she sings like the singers in my bands, with lots of strenght in her voice"

Guest Rachelle of London

Beautiful post, Larkspur. And yes, i wouldn't trade that for anything either. In fact, many times i watch the news and they talk about for example 1987 and my mind goes to Who's that Girl... hahaha. And then i can remember loads of things. As if Madonna's music, being omniprsent in my life, can open the gates of my memories.

I can't imagine me not being a fan. I mean, even if i hadn't pay atention to Madonna then because i were for example into heavy metal like my brothers, sooner or later i would have found a place for me in her career. Just as my father discovered her with ROL, or my brother liked Express Yourself because "she sings like the singers in my bands, with lots of strenght in her voice"

You see even though I wasn't born whenever anyone says 1987 I would think of WTG or any other year for that matter. I link everything with Madonna hahah!

I get so jealous when I hear about fans that were around back then! Like I couldn't even imagine being around when Into the groove came out

Thank you, Yes I associate different songs with different times in my life as well and even what was going on gives me my own interpretation of the song. The beautiful thing about Madonna's songs is how they can mean different things to different people. I would love her to but it might be good that she doesn't explain everything and let's the listener or observer make up their own mind.

• 6 months later...

Its good to see so many young fans here, Im 32 and my first memory of her was the LAP video and controversy.

I was just on ausic forum, where some dick bashed Madonna for being old and they said that Madonna has no younger fans and that everyone under 30 is like "Who is Madonna"?

Probably a little monster shitstain