Madonna to perform at Super Bowl! now official!

laroux22

Guest bluejean

I think Black Eyed Peas performance was pretty good. The staging, the costumes, the lighting, effects etc were pretty incredible. The only thing that sucked was the singing.

'4 Minutes' is possibly Madonna's worst song ever when it comes to singing live. I hope she doesn't do that song for that reason. I actually don't see a problem with her doing 'Vogue.' It's one of her biggest hits and anyone who objects probably objects to Madonna full stop.

Also, Madonna has never done a medley of her hits so I wonder is she going to follow that formula that all the other acts seem to do or will she just do 3 full songs. Personally I'd love a medley and it would be good if its all newly reworked versions that stick closer to the originals than what was on Sticky & Sweet. It would be cool if she can do songs from each decade including the new song being the 4th decade. I definitely expect her to play guitar somewhere in the performance too. Not that I want her to, but she's obviously going to. This would probably be her biggest audience ever playing the guitar, alot of people still get surprised to see that she does.

Guest bluejean

If she has a modicum of sense she will perform the new single and make sure it's on iTunes when it's performed.

So if she gets 4 songs, she should go the '4 decades, 4 songs' route -

1. Like a Prayer (or) Into the Groove (or) Holiday

2. Ray of Light (or) Vogue

3. Music (or) Hung Up (or) 4 Minutes

4. NEW SONG

Yes perfect, exactly what I was thinking. Although she's never been into medleys of her hits she could squeeze in 7 songs that way.

My ideal in this order:

Music

Hung Up

Vogue

New song

Ray Of Light

Like A Prayer

Holiday

I don't want her to perform "4 Minutes",but she should definitely use the music as an intro.The 'marching band' sound work work perfectly in a Super Bowl setting.Imagine hearing that marching band,and then she quickly launches into "Holiday"....it would be a cool moment!

celebration.png

Forgettable yes. Flop no.

It was certainly a flop despite these chart peaks. The amount of time it spent on the charts in Europe was literally a few weeks. Its easy for a madonna song to peak really quick and dissipate. That's what happened here. Its sales were dreadful.

From that Peter Buchanan guy at the Examiner (take with adequate grains of salt):

The program director meeting in Chicago concentrated on the Queen of Pop herself, Madonna. Everybody was evenly split on whether or not Madonna should play the Half Time Show at the Super Bowl this year. Some said both Madonna and the NFL could score big, while others said that if there is anything goes wrong, it will be the end of Madonna as we know it.

“Janet Jackson’s 2004 performance instantly ended her career,” said program director Jared Spelling. She went from being an international icon to a huge joke who has nothing left but to milk the death of her more talented brother—all because of a little mistake. The Black Eyed Peas are pretty much over after last year’s debacle. I still believe Madonna has life left in her and don’t want to see it end because of a poorly-received performance.”

Others brought up the fact that Madonna has a very good track level in television performances. “People have been complaining all over the Internet and some have made downright nasty comments. These are the same people who will have their eyes glued to the television set during the performance. This woman simply is amazing on stage,” said Ted Duarte from WBBM in St. Louis.

If Madonna does play the Super Bowl (and she is very close to signing on), her plan is not to play a bunch of butchered up songs, but rather two full songs with a two minute preview of her new single, which could be called “Trust.” The only other song she is definitely performing is “Like a Prayer.”

http://www.examiner.com/pop-music-in-chicago/industry-insiders-say-madonna-super-bowl-can-be-major-hit-or-amazing-flop

^ well anyone can assume that. she doesnt like butchered songs or else she would have given us medleys very tour.

LAP ROL Music are so predictable to be chosen.

“Janet Jackson’s 2004 performance instantly ended her career,” said program director Jared Spelling. She went from being an international icon to a huge joke who has nothing left but to milk the death of her more talented brother—all because of a little mistake. The Black Eyed Peas are pretty much over after last year’s debacle. I still believe Madonna has life left in her and don’t want to see it end because of a poorly-received performance.”

this is exactly why Madonna needs to play it safe.She can't screw this up! If she gets up there and does a weak,forgettable,flop single like "Celebration",she will get bad reviews.She needs to stick with the biggest hits ("4 Minutes" as an intro,"Holiday","Music" or "Like A Prayer") and then the new single.

^ well anyone can assume that. she doesnt like butchered songs or else she would have given us medleys very tour.

LAP ROL Music are so predictable to be chosen.

If that end up being the setlist, why will she even bother to go there and sing? Just show the Live 8 performances on some screens and voilà :chuckle:

this is exactly why Madonna needs to play it safe.She can't screw this up! If she gets up there and does a weak,forgettable,flop single like "Celebration",she will get bad reviews.She needs to stick with the biggest hits ("4 Minutes" as an intro,"Holiday","Music" or "Like A Prayer") and then the new single.

She needs to sing "Celebration". What a feel good song. People will think it's another new single!

This Superbowl performance will be a make it or break it in her pop music career in the USA. We don't want her new album to be another Damita Jo.

I dont think no matter how controversial she is that anyone would even think she will pull up something controversial after the nipplegate. She just wont.

Her setlist:

4 Minutes intro

Holiday

Like A Prayer

New song

Music

This would be perfect. All these songs except her new single are very well known and set the new song second to last and end with a rousing crowd pleasing Music ( probably her most popular song).

This Superbowl performance will be a make it or break it in her pop music career in the USA. We don't want her new album to be another Damita Jo.

OH PLEASE. After all Madonna's been through, a Superbowl performance won't MAKE OR BREAK her. And Damita Jo sold better than Hard Candy in the US.

OH PLEASE. After all Madonna's been through, a Superbowl performance won't MAKE OR BREAK her. And Damita Jo sold better than Hard Candy in the US.

well, the sales climate back in Damita Jo is not comparable to the current one...

even COADF which almost 2 years after Damita Jo selling 1.7M in the US would be considered a mega-success back in 2008...

anyhow, I do agree that nothing can make or break MADONNA's career anymore... she has proven herself over the years to have more than just nine lives in the industry...

From that Peter Buchanan guy at the Examiner (take with adequate grains of salt):

The program director meeting in Chicago concentrated on the Queen of Pop herself, Madonna. Everybody was evenly split on whether or not Madonna should play the Half Time Show at the Super Bowl this year. Some said both Madonna and the NFL could score big, while others said that if there is anything goes wrong, it will be the end of Madonna as we know it.

http://www.examiner.com/pop-music-in-chicago/industry-insiders-say-madonna-super-bowl-can-be-major-hit-or-amazing-flop

:doh: She survived far bigger obstacles than a messed up Super Bowl Performance. And what is supposed to go wrong? The perfectionist she is, this will we planned out like a CERN experiment. There'll be no black holes.

Guest groovyguy

well, the sales climate back in Damita Jo is not comparable to the current one...

even COADF which almost 2 years after Damita Jo selling 1.7M in the US would be considered a mega-success back in 2008...

anyhow, I do agree that nothing can make or break MADONNA's career anymore... she has proven herself over the years to have more than just nine lives in the industry...

Exactly. And she's not Janet Jackson.

What the F**k? La gente esta muy loca!!!!

The end of Madonna as we know her? Common the woman is a Living Myth so that is something impossible to happen. It can make a bigger impact and become the biggest Superbowl moment EVER or it can be only a performance and appearance by the Queen herself at the Superbowl. She just needs to appear and say Hello for an ovation. She is Madonna, the biggest star alive. None cares much if she misses a note or if she misses a step, is she falls on stage or if she sings totaly out of tune as long as she is there. Ray of Light at MTV Awards anyone? Sales went up!!!

About the songs she will perform... 2 or 3 at most being one of them her new single and the other two major hits. I believe "Like a Prayer" as it was the only song she sang at the last benefit she did. The other one could be "Hung Up", "Music", "Ray of Light", "Holiday" or another Mega Hit.

By the way, "Celebration" was not a flop... it was a moderate Hit in Madonna's carreer. Even in US one can't say it flopped (how many would fight for a hit this size). In Europe it did hang around for long time at airplay charts (around 20/25 weeks).

The end of Madonna as we know her? Common the woman is a Living Myth so that is something impossible to happen. It can make a bigger impact and become the biggest Superbowl moment EVER or it can be only a performance and appearance by the Queen herself at the Superbowl. She just needs to appear and say Hello for an ovation. She is Madonna, the biggest star alive. None cares much if she misses a note or if she misses a step, is she falls on stage or if she sings totaly out of tune as long as she is there. Ray of Light at MTV Awards anyone? Sales went up!!!

yes...but, is she a legend also for the people that watch the superbowl????

The non-U.S. audience for the Super Bowl is minute- it's not like it's the World Cup and reaches the kind of audience levels that does. It may be reported on worldwide, but there's little interest in the event itself outside of the USA. See here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/steve_rushin/02/03/rushin0206/

As for safeness, I'm sure Madonna will not do anything silly or that risky- if it were Madonna up to 1992, the NFL would have plenty to worry about, though. Sure, she raised some eyebrows as recently as 2006 in performance, but she ain't stupid- it would be foolish to not do this event, especially with the new album due in spring.

And she certainly doesn't need to do a track that made such a small impact in the USA, that contains lines like "I guess I just don't recognize you with your clothes on." :wacko: