The Official UK Charts Thread

Guest Hafo

not bad, but it would be great if HC stays in those positions (10-15) before the tour starts

Unlikely but it should rise again for the tour.

Good that GITM is holding up ok.

no2 is way better than no7. i would rather it have hit no2. looks like madonna really needs physical sales to boost her positions.

geesh!thank god this didnt end up being another #2 for her!!

Guest Johnkm

SINGLES

01 Dizzee Rascal

02 Kid Rock

03 Jordin Sparks / Chris Brown

04 Basshunter

05 Ne-Yo

06 Ting Tings

07 Ironik

08 Gabriella Cilmi

09 Madonna

10 Rihanna

Top 20

McFly - #17

Adele

Noah & The Whale

Top 30

Ida Maria

Top 40

Darren Styles vs Ultrabeat (RE)

and that is it - another unexciting top 40...

ALBUMS

01 Basshunter

02 Coldplay

03 Duffy

04 Abba

05 Sharleen Spiteri

06 Ting Tings

07 Primal Scream (NE)

08 Chris Brown

09 Bachelors (NE)

10 Nickelback

Top 20

Madonna (12)

CSS

Top 30

Jordin Sparks

Adele

Top 40

U2 (Boy)

U2 (October)

Michael Buble (RE)

Guest Johnkm

Give It 2 Me really hasnt done very well at all, it peaked at #8 on airplay, part of that i think is down to confusuon over which is the real raido edit, because on sunday when i listened to 3 different radio stations for the chart, they all had different versions playing.

Give It 2 Me really hasnt done very well at all, it peaked at #8 on airplay, part of that i think is down to confusuon over which is the real raido edit, because on sunday when i listened to 3 different radio stations for the chart, they all had different versions playing.

True. The urban stations (Kiss, Galaxy) play the full album edit and usually stop playing or talk over the final chorus, where as commercial radio plays the radio edit.

And OUCH at it being removed from R1 and R2's lists. Really thought this would be a MASSIVE hit. WTF happened?

P.S. Just noticed that GI2M features on the promo for Trinny and Susannah's new ITV series.

Edited by Braby2007

at least HC is staying put in the top 15, for a good few weeks now! seems its at least stabalized, instead of plummeting (like it was there for a while)

Guest Johnkm

Give it 2 me is being played a lot on tv, it was used on Loose Women when they show whats coming up in the next week, it was also used on GMTV a few times, but it seems as if nobody cares, i cant say im totally shocked though, its a very good song, but really not suitable for a single, its too predictable

Where are those who said that GI2M was a good track and a good choice for a second single????

I really thought it was a good single, I don't know what;s hapening.Maybe, with the hype of the tour it's going to have more airplay

Guest Johnkm

I think and feel free to disagree totally with me, that the UK has grown a little 'tired' of that kind of music, God forbid we become like the US, but it is nice to see the top 40 a little more diverse. Plus even kylie is struggling to peddle her wares, not thats its the same genre of music, but is pretty similar, wow outperformed Give it 2 me, cos it is frankly a better song, but in my arms only scraped the top 10 for one week. Maybe its time madonna 'shook things up' a little, 4 Minutes wasnt her usual sound and its done remarkably well, but this could just be me being naive of the true curcumstances.

wow was struggling in the top 20 until kylie performed it at brits. that changed wow#s fortunes.

i heard give it to me on radio 1 today at about 5.30pm. when its off the radio 1 and 2 list what does that mean? just very occcasional play? it will fall off quicker than 4 mins i feel.

the problem with give it to me is that it sounds so britney-ish. it does nt suit madonna. the problem is that its a good song. with madonna we are used to perfection.

digitalspy.co.uk

'Give It 2 Me': Don't mention the 'f' word...

Wednesday, July 23 2008, 14:48 BST

By Nick Levine, Music Editor

It feels a bit ridiculous to call a top ten hit a flop, so we won't, but #7 is not where the second single from a Madonna album wants to peak. Sadly, that's where 'Give It 2 Me' stalled on Sunday after CD singles sales were added to its downloads tally, and it looks unlikely to climb any higher this week.

Nobody's pretending it's one of Madonna's most awe-inspiring moments, but 'Give It 2 Me' is a thoroughly decent single. Actually, it's better than that: it's immediate, modern-sounding and filled to the brim with attitude and energy. What's gone wrong? Well, the rushed, uninspired video didn't help matters - it's never a good sign when Ma Ritchie can't seem to be arsed - but the main problem seems to be Madonna's new, R&B-inspired sound.

Let's not beat around the bush - pop fans don't seem to be very keen on it. Despite kicking off with a proper smash in the form of '4 Minutes', her Hard Candy album has sold disappointingly so far, shifting around 250,000 copies in the UK since its release three months ago. To put that figure into context, her last album, 2005's discotastic Confessions On A Dancefloor, sold more in a fortnight.

Madonna's yet to announce what the third single from Hard Candy will be, but might we suggest 'Miles Away'? It's very different to what's come before it, being sad, pretty and to all intents and purposes a ballad, but it might inform punters that the album features some impressive melodies as well as a generous smattering of Timbaland/Neptunes beats.

An imaginative, exciting, interesting video wouldn't go amiss either. We know Madonna's got a tour to prepare for and everything, but since when was 'Queen of Pop' an easy job?

Why do you think 'Give It 2 Me' performed disappointingly? What should the next single from Hard Candy be? Use the space below to have your say.

It's now off the list of both radio 1 and Radio 2 playlists.

:lol:

And she's gonna end her live show with this song? :flop:

You're losin' the plot, sister.

Some one will now post and say the real reason why COADF sold so well was because of XMAS - 2 weeks of COADF sales are equal to 12 weeks of HC sales - i doubt XMAS sales sare 6 times as high though

digitalspy.co.uk

Let's not beat around the bush - pop fans don't seem to be very keen on it. Despite kicking off with a proper smash in the form of '4 Minutes', her Hard Candy album has sold disappointingly so far, shifting around 250,000 copies in the UK since its release three months ago. To put that figure into context, her last album, 2005's discotastic Confessions On A Dancefloor, sold more in a fortnight.

Guest Danny86
digitalspy.co.uk

It feels a bit ridiculous to call a top ten hit a flop, so we won't, but #7 is not where the second single from a Madonna album wants to peak. Sadly, that's where 'Give It 2 Me' stalled on Sunday after CD singles sales were added to its downloads tally, and it looks unlikely to climb any higher this week.

Nobody's pretending it's one of Madonna's most awe-inspiring moments, but 'Give It 2 Me' is a thoroughly decent single. Actually, it's better than that: it's immediate, modern-sounding and filled to the brim with attitude and energy. What's gone wrong? Well, the rushed, uninspired video didn't help matters - it's never a good sign when Ma Ritchie can't seem to be arsed - but the main problem seems to be Madonna's new, R&B-inspired sound.

Madonna's yet to announce what the third single from Hard Candy will be, but might we suggest 'Miles Away'? It's very different to what's come before it, being sad, pretty and to all intents and purposes a ballad, but it might inform punters that the album features some impressive melodies as well as a generous smattering of Timbaland/Neptunes beats.

An imaginative, exciting, interesting video wouldn't go amiss either. We know Madonna's got a tour to prepare for and everything, but since when was 'Queen of Pop' an easy job?

Why do you think 'Give It 2 Me' performed disappointingly? What should the next single from Hard Candy be? Use the space below to have your say.

They expected Madonna to get to #2 like with AL or Hollywood even with downloads included on the chart? Seriously? :manson:

I like their suggestion of "Miles Away" though, a 3rd dance track like "Beat Goes On" would not do well in the UK at this point.

Thursday Midweeks

Singles

1 Dizzee Rascal

2 Kid Rock

3 Jordin Sparks

4 Ne-Yo

5 Basshunter

Top 10

Ting Tings

Ironik

Gabriella Cilmi

Rihanna

Madonna - GI2M

Top 15

Duffy

Sam Sparro

Ting Tings - That's Not My Name

Top 20

Noah & The Whale

Ida Maria

Adele

Top 30

Estelle - American Boy

Usher

B-Kay & Kazz

Madonna - 4M

Top 40

Chris Brown - With You

Ultrabeat vs Darren Styles

Scouting For Girls - Heartbeat

Alphabeat

Mint Royale

Albums

1 Basshunter

2 Coldplay

3 Abba

4 Duffy

5 Sharleen Spiteri

Top 10

Bachelors

Primal Scream

Top 15

Rihanna

Madonna

Top 20

Jordin Sparks

Scouting For Girls

Top 30

Gabriella Cilmi

CSS

Adele

Kooks

MGMT

Michael Buble

Top 40

Pendulum - Hold Your Colour

Fleet Foxes

Elbow

Billy Idol

A little treat from Music Week, reported in Haven! :D

Top 10 Twelve-Inch Singles (also incorporates Ten-Inch Singles)

1 N Madonna - Give It 2 Me

2 1 Dizzee Rascal/Calvin Harris/Chrome - Dance Wiv Me

3 N Def Leppard - C'mon C'mon

4 N Richard Hawley/Feral Cats - Rockabilly Radio

5 3 Madonna/Justin Timberlake/Timbaland - 4 Minutes

6 18 Ironik - Stay With Me

7 4 Wiley - Wearing My Rolex

8 5 Ebonu Dusters - Ra

9 8 Freemasons/Katherine Ellis - When You Touch Me

10 2 Portishead - The Rip

digitalspy.co.uk

Responses

Your responses:

Ella, Essex on July 23rd, 2008

She's trying too hard too be something she's not. What I want to know is why so many artists seem to be ashamed that they do pop music, personally I don't think there's anything wrong with it if it's done well, and Madonna definatley did it well. This single I think doesn't deserve the number 1 spot, but definatley deserves a higher position than it's got. Bring back the pop!

Al on July 23rd, 2008

I'd like to see Heartbeat, Beat goes on or any other "fast track" from Madonna's latest record. Miles Away is nice, but it gets a bit boring a bit too quickly. It's a safe choice as well. I think Heartbeat could be huge. And fingers crossed for a good video as well.

Graeme, Beds on July 23rd, 2008

I like the single ,prob one of my favs on the album , but I think she has been rushing this more than confessions , she had time to get 2 really good videos out , b4 the tour but she has only had like 4 months to do it , and a tour to get ready for , where she had almost a year in confessions ,

Dom, Glasgow on July 23rd, 2008

What's sad though is the fact that this video was not rushed. It was actually filmed way in advance just before the 4 Minutes video premiered online. Rushed? No. Uninspired? Yes. This song had hit written all over it. A club smash. I think it performed poorly because of the boring video and the fact Madonna done nothing to promote it. She sang it on her promo tour of 3 dates. Thats it. What about tv shows? When she released Hung Up she was everywhere, Children in Need, CD-UK, Parkinson to name a few. She didnt even do anything like this for 4 Minutes. It seems she just doesnt care anymore and so I'm beginning to think... why should we? Though I'm dissapointed Give It 2 Me did not hit number 1 or 2, for what she done to promote it, number 7 is a generous position to peak at.

Alan, Cork on July 23rd, 2008

This single underperformed simply because its boring - simple as. And to be honest, I don't think there's much else good on the album, except for 'The Devil Wouldn't Recognise You', which really is a tremendous R'N'B ballad. Must be released!!

M, Warwickshire on July 23rd, 2008

"Give It 2 Me" is a grower, and is certainly worthy of Top 5 status. "Miles Away" would make a good third single; it has the most immediate 'pop' melody on the album - but if it's going to go Top 10, it needs a good video and some decent promotion. "Give It 2 Me" was given a full release on July 14th, which Madonna fans agree was pretty late. They did not capitalise. Other potential singles from the album include the upbeat "Heartbeat," the more hip-hop "Beat Goes On," which features Kanye West, and maybe even the hypnotic "Candy Shop."

Hugo, Guatemala on July 23rd, 2008

I think Givi It 2 Me is the second best song on the album, but it is rising so slowly on the charts, i think is because of the music video, it had to be more powerful. And for the third single, i'll go for the best song on the album "Miles Away", like everybody says, it's gonna bring de sweet side from the album, i'm sure this would be a great hit, like Hung Up, we already heard the sticky side from the album, "4 Minutes & Give It 2 Me".

Brad on July 24th, 2008

I think Madonna should give up. I mean, seriously, no one wants to see a 50 year-old woman dancing around half-naked, do they? Her latest album is just filled with attempts at modern music and she fails. Her vocals don't sound natural either ,and when she sings live she sounds like a man!

K, USA on July 24th, 2008

I actually find this to be a really fun, great dance album. Maybe it doesn't hit a broad enough spectrum of fans? 'Miles Away' is a very good song, but my favorite song is 'Heartbeat'. I hope that becomes a single.

Paul, Pembrokeshire on July 24th, 2008

I don't think the video has anything to do with it. It's just poorly producing, cringeworthy song. Definitely one of her worst. #7 is lucky and it only got that because she's Madonna. Beat Goes On or Devil Wouldn't Recognise You are the best way to go now.

Gina, Galway on July 24th, 2008

I think Give It 2 Me is a decent enough follow up to 4 Minutes, it certainly is a grower (but does sound alot like Kelis's Trick Me) . I think the follow up was releashed way too soon! 4 Minutes is still in the top 40 at #22, it hasn't ran its course yet!! As for the video, it's rubbish!!! #7 certainly is a disappointing position for single 2 off Hard Candy! Single 2, Sorry, off her last album, Confessions On A Dancefloor, hit #1, single 2, Hollywood, off the previous album American Life hit #2, and single 2, Don't Tell Me, off her Music album hit #4. If Give It 2 Me doesn't climb it will be a total waste of time releashing a 3rd single, it will miss out on the top 10 without a doubt

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a114329/...the-f-word.html

:lol:

And she's gonna end her live show with this song? :flop:

You're losin' the plot, sister.

well, I'm sure the tour will help this single,notmaybe to clinb in the charts, but to have more airplay and staying power.Anyway, look at the album charts, HC was going dowwwnn (number 24?) and it went up again!

well, I'm sure the tour will help this single,notmaybe to clinb in the charts, but to have more airplay and staying power.Anyway, look at the album charts, HC was going dowwwnn (number 24?) and it went up again!

As a single, "Give It 2 Me" will be over by the time the tour hits. It might help the single's sales (marginally) with opening night being in Cardiff and all, but I think we've seen what this song can do: very little. Perhaps if she does some kind of totally KILLER version of it, maybe, but I am not banking on it.

And yes, it did help Hard Candy return to the Top 10, but not with terrific sales numbers. I mean, it's selling about 4,000 copies a week MORE at #10 than it was when it was at #26 - that's not a great impact. "Sorry" helped COADF turn around to a tune of 17,000 more copies a week than when it was in free fall.

Guys, the tour will start in 4-5 weeks, so HC sales can't be so catastrophic. Then there will be a third and a forth single to help sales. She can easily stay in the top40 until Xmas time and if that happens, HC won't catch Coadf, but could be more than 2xP.

Guest Danny86

Friday Top 40 Midweeks

Singles

1 Dizzee Rascal

2 Kid Rock

3 Jordin Sparks

4 Ne-Yo

5 Basshunter

Top 10

Ting Tings

Gabriella Cilmi

Rihanna

Top 15

Sam Sparro

Duffy

Ting Tings - That's Not My Name

Top 20

Noah & The Whale

Adele

Ida Maria

Top 30

Estelle - American Boy

Usher

Ultrabeat vs Darren Styles

Top 40

Chris Brown - With You

Alphabeat

Scouting For Girls - Heartbeat

Mint Royale

Albums

1 Abba :shock:

2 Coldplay

3 Basshunter

4 Duffy

5 Sharleen Spiteri

Top 10

Bachelors

Primal Scream

Top 15

Rihanna

Top 20

Scouting For Girls

Jordin Sparks

Top 30

Gabriella Cilmi

Adele

CSS

MGMT

Michael Buble

Top 40

Elbow

Billy Idol

Fleet Foxes

Guest Johnkm
Albums

1 Abba

OMG :)

thats amazing news, now if only we had such a promotional surge with Hard Candy, ABBA have been flogging that album no end, ive seen the advert about 30 times this week alone

Top 10

Ting Tings

Gabriella Cilmi

Rihanna

:) Way to go Madge, i defy anyone not to class this song as a flop now, it may end up outselling sorry and most of her other more recent second singles, but still, #7 is woefully low, compared with #1 for sorry, #2 for hollywood, #4 for dont tell me and #2 for ray of light, music climate may be different, but not THAT different. I think the main issue here is that she is just being lazy and complacent.

Edited by Johnkm