Gay Man Stabbed to Death for Vogueing

Crux

People with blue badge, on Twitter, are all a bunch a nobody’s, bunch of losers, spreading hate and lies. 
This makes me sick. Why are we still going on these platforms?

49 minutes ago, runa said:

People with blue badge, on Twitter, are all a bunch a nobody’s, bunch of losers, spreading hate and lies. 
This makes me sick. Why are we still going on these platforms?

I stopped looking at comments weeks ago. This time I looked to read further developments on the story. Big mistake. Nowadays as you say all top comments are bigots hating on victims.

😞

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvc1vnGtD4n/

It is truly sad that a person's harmless act of celebrating, dancing, and voguing at a gas station resulted in such a tragic outcome. The loss of a life for simply expressing joy through dance.. if he were a straight guy dancing to typical hip hop or rock music nothing would've happened.

Ive noticed there's barely media coverage about this. 

Madonna's dancers took to their Instagram accounts to share this news a while ago. if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have known

14 hours ago, Nikki said:

😞

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvc1vnGtD4n/

It is truly sad that a person's harmless act of celebrating, dancing, and voguing at a gas station resulted in such a tragic outcome. The loss of a life for simply expressing joy through dance.. if he were a straight guy dancing to typical hip hop or rock music nothing would've happened.

Ive noticed there's barely media coverage about this. 

Madonna's dancers took to their Instagram accounts to share this news a while ago. if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't have known

It’s literally in The New York Times 

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/suspect-arrested-in-deadly-gas-station-stabbing-of-oshae-sibley-in-brooklyn-official/4565350/

Suspect in custody in deadly Brooklyn gas station stabbing of O'Shae Sibley: Official

A “Justice for O'Shae Sibley” memorial is planned Friday at the Mobil station, and a vigil is planned on Saturday at Manhattan’s LGBTQ Community Center

By Karen Matthews and NBC New York Staff • Published August 4, 2023 • Updated on August 4, 2023 at 3:13 pm

The suspect in the deadly gas station stabbing of O'Shae Sibley is in police custody after turning himself in at a Brooklyn stationhouse, a senior law enforcement official said.

The suspect's name has not yet been released by police. New York City Councilwoman Inna Vernikov said on X, formerly known as Twitter, that the man turned himself in on Friday and was in custody. A senior law enforcement official confirmed that the individual was in custody.

The news comes ahead of a planned memorial for Sibley, who was killed after a confrontation between a group of friends who were dancing to a Beyoncé song at a Mobil station in Midwood. As he and the group he was with were filling up their car with gas, according to a friend, another group of young men seemingly took offense to something.

While police have released few details on the investigation and haven't discussed a motive, a friend who was there said in an emotional Facebook video that Sibley died “because he stood up for his friends.”

Otis Pena said in a Facebook video that Sibley, a 28-year-old professional dancer, and his friends were listening to Beyoncé's “Renaissance” album “and just having a good time" when the attack went down shortly after.

The attack on Sibley, a gay man, outraged New York City's LGBTQ community and spurred Beyoncé herself to post a tribute on her website. Initial reports widely described Sibley as having been stabbed while dancing, but security camera video shows a more complex situation.

Sibley performed with the dance company Philadanco in his native Philadelphia and in New York. He used dance to celebrate his LGBTQ identity in works such as “ Soft: A Love Letter to Black Queer Men,” choreographed by Kemar Jewel.

Video showed some of the men in Sibley’s group doing a dance-like strut by their car, shirtless in bathing suits. A short time later, Sibley walked to the gas station’s convenience store and started speaking with a young man, who appeared agitated. As they spoke, a small crowd gathered.

Sibley’s friends joined him and the group argues with the other individual for a couple minutes. Then both sides walked away, as Sibley and his friends went back to their car. Everyone else went inside the gas station convenience store —except for one person who stays outside recording with his phone.

Sibley was about to get into a car when he and a friend freeze, then briskly walked back toward the person with the phone as if he had said something that angered them.

The young man, who looked like he could've been be in his teens, stepped backwards as Sibley advanced. A man came out of the convenience store and stepped between them. Then, Sibley lunged around the man at the teen, who leapt backward. Both figures then moved out of view of the camera.

It isn’t clear from the video when Sibley was stabbed or who wielded the knife. A moment later he walked back into view looking stunned and checking his side.

Sibley was taken to a nearby hospital, where he died.

A witness, Summy Ullah, told the Daily News the young men had been harassing Sibley's group because their behavior offended them.

“They were saying, ‘Oh, we’re Muslim, so don’t do this in front of me,’” said Ullah, 32.

Ullah added, “Nothing else was going on. They were only dancing.” He said someone asked, "Why are you dancing in your underwear?”

In his video, posted hours after Sibley's death, Pena choked back tears while recalling the stabbing of the man he called “the salt to my pepper, the peanut butter to my jelly.”

“They murdered him because he was gay,” he said.

A vigil is planned on Saturday at Manhattan’s LGBTQ Community Center. A celebration of life ceremony will take place Tuesday in Philadelphia. Beyoncé's website now flashes the message “Rest in power O'Shae Sibley."

On 8/4/2023 at 11:00 PM, Camacho said:

“They were saying, ‘Oh, we’re Muslim, so don’t do this in front of me,’” said Ullah, 32.

I'm NOT supposed to celebrate with my peers because YOU adhere to some bronze-age peasant Palestinian superstition?

Fuck them & EVERYONE ELSE with those beliefs. RIP to O'Shae 🌹

On 8/5/2023 at 7:23 AM, karbatal said:

If anybody ever asks why in the Pride parades people dress “weird” and dance flamboyant is because they KILL US when we do that.

That's why I love to VOGUE at any opportunity, because it's such an unapologetically gay style of dance! Great exercise too.

So glad they caught the shitbag bigot and are charging him with a hate crime-second-degree murder. 

RIP, lovely O'Shae. Hopefully, some justice is coming for your family and friends. 

Teen accused of hate crime in fatally stabbing black dancer claimed to be Muslim during attack, though family says he’s Christian

By Rebecca White and Rocco Parascandola

New York Daily News and Police Bureau Chief

Published: Aug 07, 2023 at 5:49 pm

A conflicting portrait of Dmitriy Popov emerged Monday as the 17-year-old, who surrendered Friday with his lawyer, was arraigned as an adult defendant on murder charges and ordered held without bail.

The Midwood teen tried to go on the lam for a week after the killing by shaving his head and shutting off his phone in a failed attempt to evade the law, Assistant District Attorney Sarah Jafari said in court.

The suspect’s mother called him a “good boy” who goes to church and has two jobs.

Popov stabbed O’Shae Sibley the night of July 29 after hurling homophobic slurs and anti-Black epithets at his alleged victim. Then Popov plunged the knife deep into Sibley’s side, piercing his heart, police said.

“Stop dancing here,” Popov said, according to court papers. “We are Muslim. Get that gay s--t out of here.”

Popov’s grandmother countered that narrative, noting the teen is actually Christian, wears a cross and loves the Black woman married to his older brother.

But police said that during the confrontation captured on surveillance video, Popov stabbed Sibley after a minutes-long standoff at the Mobil station on Coney Island Ave. near Ave. P in Midwood.

Sibley and his friends returning from a trip to the Jersey Shore pulled over to get gas. They spent the next few minutes blaring Beyoncé songs and voguing — making exaggerated poses — near the gas pumps

Popov and his friends, who were inside the station convenience store, stepped out to object, claiming the dancing offended their faith.

The teens “demanded that they stop dancing,” NYPD Chief Joseph Kenny said Saturday. “You can see on video that the heated dispute quickly turned physical.

Video obtained by Daily News shows the fracas before the victim was stabbed in the torso down the block from a Mobil gas station on Coney Island Ave. 

“There were a lot of anti-gay statements and derogatory anti-Black statements,” Kenny said. “There were a lot of people from the community acting like peacemakers.”

The dispute ended with Sibley getting stabbed after he followed Popov, who used his phone to record Sibley and his friends.

“The defendant,” the assistant district attorney said in court, “pulled out a knife and stabbed the victim in the chest and punctured his heart causing his death a short while later.”

Popov had a full head of hair in the video, but the prosecutor noted to the judge that the teen “stands before you with a shaved head.”

Popov’s lawyer, Mark Pollard, argued in vain that the case be tried in Family Court and asked that bail be set but Judge Craig Walker said given Popov’s week on the lam there’s a good chance he’d try to flee.

“It’s all about choices,” Walker said, “and the choices that were made that night which have us over here in this particular moment.”

Pollard outside court called the murder “a tragedy all around” and the suspect’s mother, who identified herself only as Lana, read tearfully from a statement.

“My heart goes out to the family of Mr. Sibley,” she said. “I know they are in pain as we are as well. My son is a good boy. He was working at two jobs and goes to church and school.

“He is not that what’s being said about him.”

Do people not mind their business anymore? When putting gas, I'm focusing on the task at hand. I couldn't give two fucks about what Susan or Karen are doing at their pump. If someone wants to twerk or vogue in their space, who gives a fuck. To STAB someone over it? It's very much psychotic behavior, actually. I hope they are put away for LIFE. 

Also the hate on twitter has increased a great deal ever since Musk the Moron took over. His "free speech" bullshit enticed all the right wing morons. I wish they would all go to Truth Social and fuck off. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/20/california-shop-owner-shot-dead-over-lgbtq-pride-flag

😡 Another hate crime that doesn't get all the media coverage it should. How much longer will LGBTQ+ rights and safety have to recede in the US before people respond?

I don’t understand that “media coverage” complaining. That article is in The Guardian!

News coverage is incredibly fast. A woman is killed by the husband in front of her kids and it gets coverage for one day too. The exception is when something gets more than one day in media coverage. 

6 hours ago, karbatal said:

I don’t understand that “media coverage” complaining. That article is in The Guardian!

News coverage is incredibly fast. A woman is killed by the husband in front of her kids and it gets coverage for one day too. The exception is when something gets more than one day in media coverage. 

I don´t know, I was expecting more.I know news change really fast, but with this it seems it was only a 3 second news, not something really important.

19 hours ago, promise to try said:

I don´t know, I was expecting more.I know news change really fast, but with this it seems it was only a 3 second news, not something really important.

It has always been like this. Only if there are demonstrations or if politicians take part giving press conferences the next day announcing measures keeps momentum. 

4 hours ago, karbatal said:

It has always been like this. Only if there are demonstrations or if politicians take part giving press conferences the next day announcing measures keeps momentum. 

true. I remember that a lot of marches/demostrations against ETA had only a few people behind here, and only if the politicians and the political parties were telling their people to go were massive. so maybe, without a political party or organisation to  make people move, this killing has been a "non important " one.sad.

13 hours ago, promise to try said:

true. I remember that a lot of marches/demostrations against ETA had only a few people behind here, and only if the politicians and the political parties were telling their people to go were massive. so maybe, without a political party or organisation to  make people move, this killing has been a "non important " one.sad.

I remember that different but let’s not get into that issue 

of course is not the subject (but I remember that when I was holding the banner in my city, sometimes the journalist had problems to makes us look as if we were a lot...and  we knew that with the help of the politicians, more people would have been there)

anyways, I still think that this case should have been bigger, killing somebody just because of his/her sexual orientation should be on the news being something really important