Countdown to Rebel Heart Tour: OPENING NIGHT in less than 3 weeks! [contains spoilers]

Apples388

After all this LN contract nonsense I so want an anti tour. M with a band and backing singers. That's it. Small venues. A girl can dream. Never gonna happen.

I'm confused also exactly what she had in mind with this description for the Pitchfork interview but the concept is as least in the early stages. It needs to be fleshed out to include a full band. There isn't going to be enough of an audience willing to pay a reasonable price for a Madonna guitar/piano or Madonna guitar/drum show.

Pitchfork: Are you still excited about being on stage in front of people?
M: Yeah. I like coming up with these spectacular extravaganzas that will, hopefully, totally blow people away. But I also like the intimacy of stopping it all and sitting at the edge of the stage and connecting with individual people in the audience. Actually, I quite like the idea doing a different kind of tour—and don’t get any ideas because this is not gonna happen right now—where I would sing songs and play guitar and just have maybe one other musician out there with me; it’s just me and a guitar and a good bottle of wine. I could talk in between each song and tell stories, or do some of my stand-up comedy, which I’m actually quite good at. I love it when I see a stand-up comedian have some amazing back-and-forth dealing with a heckler in the audience. I could really have a field day with something like that. I don’t think you understand how funny I am—I mean, maybe not right now, but in general. I do some of my best stand-up comedy during sound checks.
Edited by elayman

Open your Heart wasn't that different. It still had the same melody and still uptempo but with the Spanish rhythms. You could definitely still recognize it.

OK, that's true -- it's not radically reinvention. It's just terrible.

I thought the arrangements on MDNA were all very interesting and cool. There were no "rawk" arrangements of old hits which was become a cliche at this point. The MDNA arrangements were creative instead of predictable. I hope she continues in that vein. From the rumored setlist, there don't seem to be any rock arrangements that I can tell. The setlist mentioned Rebel Heart with a guitar but I hope she does that acoustically not with the electric rock guitar.

This indeed!

And sorry to say, in my opinion I wouldnt have ANY respect for M as artist or musician IF she was just going to do hits in almost original form. It wouldnt be cohesive for starters... And just super generic like most artist. Horrible!

I don't understand the logic of that. Why would anyone buy a ticket to a concert by an artist they aren't a fan of? Do people just have money to throw away?

I've never been to a concert where I'm not a fan of at least some of the artists' music and their general style of performing. People should know Madonna is not a greatest hits artist but puts on a theatre like show. If that is not what you want, why would you go?

I tend to enjoy most shows I go to for that reason. Very rarely do I go to a show I hate, just because if I'm not a fan I don't go in the first place. I'm a busy person so I don't have time to go to shows of fans I'm not a fan of. There are so many artists out there, why waste your time going to shows by artists you aren't a fan of? It doesn't make sense to me.

I've seen concerts from so many artists I'm not a big fan of but just "interested" in to see live. from miley to patti smith. and honestly when i hear the big hits, thats when I'm having the most fun. thats me thinking as the casual fan. the casual fans are like chelle said, 3/4th of the audience.

we're not talking about a greatest hits tour or anything, but I don't think its a clever idea to open with iconic and have UB as the second song.. because the first songs are the ones sent to the press. of course she's gonna do what she wants and i love her for it. my first post was more about the opening itself. and sorry if that means I'm whining or annoying. I know I can rant sometimes so for that I apologise (Dave) ;)

oh and for the record I LOVE it when she's mixing other songs with her own songs like OYH. i think it was a highlight of MDNA. I'm just whining a bit about her lesser known songs that are a bit weaker.. imo.

I'm confused also exactly what she had in mind with this description for the Pitchfork interview but the concept is as least in the early stages. It needs to be fleshed out to include a full band. There isn't going to be enough of an audience willing to pay a reasonable price for a Madonna guitar/piano or Madonna guitar/drum show.

Pitchfork: Are you still excited about being on stage in front of people?
M: Yeah. I like coming up with these spectacular extravaganzas that will, hopefully, totally blow people away. But I also like the intimacy of stopping it all and sitting at the edge of the stage and connecting with individual people in the audience. Actually, I quite like the idea doing a different kind of tour—and don’t get any ideas because this is not gonna happen right now—where I would sing songs and play guitar and just have maybe one other musician out there with me; it’s just me and a guitar and a good bottle of wine. I could talk in between each song and tell stories, or do some of my stand-up comedy, which I’m actually quite good at. I love it when I see a stand-up comedian have some amazing back-and-forth dealing with a heckler in the audience. I could really have a field day with something like that. I don’t think you understand how funny I am—I mean, maybe not right now, but in general. I do some of my best stand-up comedy during sound checks.

i'd LOVE it if she would do an anti tour for small theatres :)

Chelle is 100% correct.

At the end of the day M is all about paying her mortgage or whatever .

Album sales are low. Touring is where the cash is and you can't rely on the loon fans . I mean, they didn't bulk up the album sales

It would be 2000 $ a ticket, minimally. :mohawk:

It would actually be less than her current tour price. Because you don't have all the expenses and as many people involved to put on a show. Also rental costs are less for smaller venues. So she could still make a good profit with a lower price point. I don't think the venues should be super small though. It should be in the neighborhood of 5000 to 8000 people. The prices could maybe in the range of 150 to 200.

I had such a good time at Wolf Trap this summer seeing Culture Club. It holds about 7000 people. How cool would it be to see Madonna in a beautiful outside venue like that.

I think she should do a so-called anti-tour, yes in smaller venues, but also in the middle of nowhere. This way you ensure that no "casual fans" accidentally buy a ticket. Sigur Ros did this a while ago. They played shows in extremely remote locations in Iceland and forced everyone to hike all the way there. Genius!

I think she should do a so-called anti-tour, yes in smaller venues, but also in the middle of nowhere. This way you ensure that no "casual fans" accidentally buy a ticket. Sigur Ros did this a while ago. They played shows in extremely remote locations in Iceland and forced everyone to hike all the way there. Genius!

It sounds like a terrible idea. It would exclude a lot of hard core fans. There are a lot of people who love Madonna and are huge fans who just can't travel some long distance to see her because of family or work obligations.

I think if she did a smaller tour it should still be in larger metropolitan areas.

No she has not...for Christ's sake. And even if she does have to please them...do you think she really gives that much of a fuck if she already said that her main focus is the thematical flow of the show? She's fucking Madonna. She will sell tickets no matter what.

Wake the F UP!!!! She hasn't even sold her opening night! She's only doing 2 nights at MSG!!!

No one here is saying she should do just greatest hits tour! A mixture of new and old that will please both hard core fans and casual! Ugh!

Thank god for Chelle and some others who get it!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you SO much! Finally a reasonable post here.

You guys can tell other members to shut up, you can bash the general public all you want, but after all that won't change the fact Madonna NEEDS the approval of the GP to sell tickets. MDNA was an amazing show for us hardcore fans, we all know that, but there's a reason for the slow ticket sales this time around (and yes they ARE slow considering we're talking about one of the most succesful touring artists), and playing 6 unknown songs in a row or reducing one of your biggest hits to a 90 sec performance played a huge part in it.

Nobody is demanding M to play a greatest hits tour, I don't think anyone of us wants her to do that. But you have to realize if you want her to keep on playing setlists à la MDNA or even less appealing to the general audience, then don't be surprised we'll see her play in 5000-seaters just a few years down the road. A Madonna show is not a show just for the fans, it's a show for the general public AND, to a smaller degree, her fans.

Thank you!

U shouldn't underestimate the lack of an emotional connection for the casual concert goer

as far as Madonna is concerned, they will definitely appreciate her spectacle but they will

leave the venue feeling a bit cold

Remember these r some of the same people who go and c Billy Joel, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac and Prince.

I'm not talking about the fags or us here, we connect 2 her on a whole different level, we try 2 get in2 her

mind and find it interesting why she explores certain themes & comes up with certain re-inventions.

But the majority of her Arena/Stadium audience is there cuz they wanna dance & clap along 2 the TIC.

As that's the feeling they get from other concerts they go 2. With Madonna they often walk away like they

just saw a great movie or a TV production.

I know loadsa people who feel that way (not me of course), I got an uncle and an aunt

who adored Sticky & Sweet in Amsterdam, but they said they 'enjoyed' Lionel Richie a lot more. :lol:

These r the casual fans who don't really feel the need 2 c her again once they've seen her.

U shouldn't underestimate the lack of an emotional connection for the casual concert goer

as far as Madonna is concerned, they will definitely appreciate her spectacle but they will

leave the venue feeling a bit cold

Remember these r some of the same people who go and c Billy Joel, Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac and Prince.

I'm not talking about the fags or us here, we connect 2 her on a whole different level, we try 2 get in2 her

mind and find it interesting why she explores certain themes & comes up with certain re-inventions.

But the majority of her Arena/Stadium audience is there cuz they wanna dance & clap along 2 the TIC.

As that's the feeling they get from other concerts they go 2. With Madonna they often walk away like they

just saw a great movie or a TV production.

I know loadsa people who feel that way (not me of course), I got an uncle and an aunt

who adored Sticky & Sweet in Amsterdam, but they said they 'enjoyed' Lionel Richie a lot more. :lol:

These r the casual fans who don't really feel the need 2 c her again once they've seen her.

So you are saying Madonna has to change the whole way she performs to appeal to these casual fans? I think she could add a few more big hits and not change the arrangements too much to appeal somewhat to the casual fans. But I definitely don't agree she has to change what makes Madonna a Madonna show which is a theatre piece. I don't agree she has to all of a sudden just put on a show where she plays nothing but hits from the TIC with no change from the original arrangements. I don't think she has to change her show to make it like every other big name artist because of these casual fans.

Yes, Madonna is an icon because of all her hits but her reputation as a live performer is also because of the spectacle and because she doesn't just perform her hits like the record with no other elements.

But don't these casual fans apply to every other artist? I'm sure there are people who go to Lionel Ritchie hear all his hits and have no need to see him ever again.

I think we need a balance here. She should add a few more iconic hits but not change her whole way of performing and what makes a Madonna show what it is and force herself to conform to how every other artist does their shows just because that's what casual fans are used to.

we connect 2 her on a whole different level, we try 2 get in2 her

Awww....how beautiful is that, really. That's why we love the 90 seconds of "Mama Don't Screech" :inlove:

And silence me with BITTERNESS AND LIES :censored:

So you are saying Madonna has to change the whole way she performs to appeal to these casual fans? I think she could add a few more big hits and not change the arrangements too much to appeal somewhat to the casual fans. But I definitely don't agree she has to change what makes Madonna a Madonna show which is a theatre piece. I don't agree she has to all of a sudden just put on a show where she plays nothing but hits from the TIC with no change from the original arrangements. I don't think she has to change her show to make it like every other big name artist because of these casual fans.

No I agree with you on the balance from the casual fans point of view. For me personally, I'd b satisfied with the RH album and just

Holiday as an encore :D

Should have been performed on S&ST instead of "Hung Up" or the tired guitar ROL:

And silence me with BITTERNESS AND LIES :censored:

I loved "ROL" on Sticky! It had so much energy. It was basically the same as what she did on Confessions, but it just seemed so much more alive on Sticky.

"Hung Up" on guitar was terrible, though. Glad to see it dropped for "Frozen" in 2009 show, though I'd love to have seen the "Impressive Instant" / "Burning Up" mash-up come to life :wow:

Guest ditaluver

I sPoke to someone last week about Mdna. Came on too late and didn't like the setlist were the only 2 comments

It's not my a fav either but I had a fucking blast regardless

thats why I'm looking forward to M interacting with the audience. not like those teen pop stars do of course, but like how she said herself in that interview. maybe she can really do an intimate part on the tour so it won't just be a spectacle and seem like she's on auto pilot

I loved "ROL" on Sticky! It had so much energy. It was basically the same as what she did on Confessions, but it just seemed so much more alive on Sticky.

It sounded notably different though, thanks to Kevin's band using better drums than Stuart's!

On MDNA, my friends were sooooo bored. They loved the production, but really did not like the show AT ALL.

I get it that not many casual ppl connect to The music ALL that much, but this I cant understand. Her show as a show is far from boring. So I dare question your friends taste... Or there lack of

And can we maybe go back to The topic and stop whining after old hits and boring generic pop concerts. If thats what is needed for M to tour. I hope she calls it quits after RHT. No point anymore. She hates doing old songs in old way NOR should she. General public can then go back to regular concerts by regular performers. No need to be traumatized by M's theatrical horrors anymore.

Wake the F UP!!!! She hasn't even sold her opening night! She's only doing 2 nights at MSG!!!

No one here is saying she should do just greatest hits tour! A mixture of new and old that will please both hard core fans and casual! Ugh!

Thank god for Chelle and some others who get it!

Only two nights in London too :(

I agree with Chelle. I've been to lots of concerts of artists where I'm only a casual fan and haven't owned any of their albums. I go along because friends are going, or if they've had a lot of hits or have a reputation for a good show. Lots of people do it.

I, for one, am yet to be convinced that more hits ( hits basically means songs from the '80's -because casuals don't know if anything past 1989) will equal more ticket sales. It just sounds like another prediction that didn't materialize this year such as: RH album is great and will sell tons, Australia will go crazy for tickets, etc.