All about the new album. The desperation for news is killing us!

I wish she would take time to promote and release singles for like 9 months after the album is released then go on tour. Fuck this, release one single then go on tour and make some half arsed shit videos whilst on tour.

Those days ended for Madonna 10years ago.

Why are nowadays first singles and albums always so far apart? Some years ago they were like 2 weeks apart.

I think part of it has to do with the emphasis that's been put on first-week sales. Back in the day, Madonna didn't even debut at #1. She would reach the top after a couple of weeks, like many singles do now. But it's become very similar to movie box office, where if a film doesn't open with $455,342,000 its opening weekend, it's considered a flop. So if an album doesn't open big, or hit #1 immediately, it will be considered unsuccessful and then fade away even quicker. So by releasing singles (and multiple singles) earlier, there's more buzz and more reason(s) for people to buy the album as soon as it drops. Of course, if you wait too long and release too many singles, it creates the sense that the album is in trouble and ultimately hurts sales. Like Mariah's.

I personally like the idea of a single coming out a few months before the album and then the second single dropping right before or right on the album release date. It's a smart strategy, especially for someone like M, who really only gets attention for brand new songs that no one has heard. The days of third or fourth singles getting love are pretty much long gone.

DIRTY PIG, on 01 Oct 2014 - 05:03 AM, said:snapback.png

I wish she would take time to promote and release singles for like 9 months after the album is released then go on tour. Fuck this, release one single then go on tour and make some half arsed shit videos whilst on tour.

I wonder if it has crossed Madonna's or O$eary's mind that another rushed tour based heavily on a new album (i.e. rushed as in so soon after the album debut, not a rushed concept) is maybe going to do worse than a tour touted as "more of the hits".... I am sorry, you could sense in at the MDNA tour. Other than the lucky few in the golden triangle, there were a lot of people not having a good time at all at that show I was at. They just didn't know MDNA. Plus ticket revenues were lower. Yes, highest tour of the year, blah, blah, blah, you could tell it was less enjoyed and may hurt future tours.

Anyway, my point is, she could spend a bit more time on the album after it is released and then do a tour after a while, similar to the Reinvention setup. Heck, if she spends a bit more time promoting the album, more people can get to know it and then the show still can be focused on the album (Confessions Tour). Ok, I know times are different than even then, and she doesn't have to wait a year or anything, but just more time on the album as if you care, and GREAT videos. A great video doesn't have to break the bank like it used to.

This is all hyperbole of course, because nothing has been announced yet, but I feel like the immediate focusing on tour like last time can only strike lucky so long if they want the tour to be focused on a new album barely anyone knows.

I just hope first and foremost the album has really good solid music that people can get behind (especially a solid lead single), and she gets behind it too. So read up, O$eary!! lol

Edited by madmark

^ I agree completely. I get that she wants to tour new material and not the same old stuff, but she really needs to make us fall in love with it first. Madonna has her hardcore fans like us, who will immediately get anything she releases, but there are lots of more casual fans, even some who once considered themselves die-hards, who need to be seduced a bit. And for those who say it doesn't matter and fuck them, this is a business. It's not just about art.

Guest bluejean

Well I think she should create the show she wants to. She's an artist.

I get that some people probably didn't appreciate MDNA but for the real fans it was spectacular. More of that please.

I wonder if it has crossed Madonna's or O$eary's mind that another rushed tour based heavily on a new album is maybe going to do worse than a tour touted as "more of the hits".... I am sorry, you could sense in at the MDNA tour. Other than the lucky few in the golden triangle, there were a lot of people not having a good time at all at that show I was at. They just didn't know MDNA. Plus ticket revenues were lower. Yes, highest tour of the year, blah, blah, blah, you could tell it was less enjoyed and may hurt future tours.

WHAAAAAAT??

MDNA was enjoyed by pretty much everybody who attended! Everybody had a good time and people couldn't stop gushing on how actually good it was.. If anything general public and fans alike agreed it was far better than Sticky & Sweet and Madonna really put out a hell of a show!

Yes MDNA did not sell as much as her other albums but the way she performed the MDNA songs was so spectacular and original people were fixated. For example Girl Gone Wild was not even a hit but everybody loved how Madonna performed it and used it as the intro; Gang Bang was another show stopper!

I really would like to know what show you went to...

Also, the media was full of reports about this tour.. it seemed like she did this tour for the press as well..From flashing her nipple in Istanbul to her Pussy Riot support, gay activism in Russia, gun controversy in USA, etc.. The press loved to comment on the tour as well... It became one of the most successful tours in history! Second only to Madonna herself with Sticky & Sweet without mentioning she performed in more cities and longer with the Sticky & Sweet tour! Say Madonna actually performed in Asia and Australia as well.. she would have broken her own record without a shadow of a doubt!

The MDNA tour was surely a winning point from her part.. people denying that are NOT fans in my opinion.

I doubt you even went to the show judging from what you stated... Sorry

MDNAT problems in America were not the lack of old material (there was enough) but the show starting so late. A lot of people were furious that she started at pretty much 10pm on a weekday. A whole row behind me of women left. They surely bitched and moaned to all of their friends, cats and dogs. It may be a drop in the ocean but if it keeps happening, eventually it may hurt sales. But artistically speaking, MDNAT was an astounding success. The crowd that actually stayed was exhilarated.

WHAAAAAAT??

MDNA was enjoyed by pretty much everybody who attended! Everybody had a good time and people couldn't stop gushing on how actually good it was.. If anything general public and fans alike agreed it was far better than Sticky & Sweet and Madonna really put out a hell of a show!

Yes MDNA did not sell as much as her other albums but the way she performed the MDNA songs was so spectacular and original people were fixated. For example Girl Gone Wild was not even a hit but everybody loved how Madonna performed it and used it as the intro; Gang Bang was another show stopper!

I really would like to know what show you went to...

Also, the media was full of reports about this tour.. it seemed like she did this tour for the press as well..From flashing her nipple in Istanbul to her Pussy Riot support, gay activism in Russia, gun controversy in USA, etc.. The press loved to comment on the tour as well... It became one of the most successful tours in history! Second only to Madonna herself with Sticky & Sweet without mentioning she performed in more cities and longer with the Sticky & Sweet tour! Say Madonna actually performed in Asia and Australia as well.. she would have broken her own record without a shadow of a doubt!

The MDNA tour was surely a winning point from her part.. people denying that are NOT fans in my opinion.

I doubt you even went to the show judging from what you stated... Sorry

Ok, please don't get childish now with statements like "I doubt you went to the show" or labeling me as a "non-fan"... I am a huge fan and can form my own opinion of what I like and don't like by my all time favorite artist. And MDNA is my least favorite show by her, I am sorry (I mentioned this in the tour forum as well). BUT with that said, I still have some moments from it I liked, but overall, it is at the bottom for me.

I was at the second night in Toronto on the floor near the cat walk.... nobody was having fun around me, the sound was terrible in many parts (she sounded like a Chipette on 'Girl Gone Wild' and then a robot for the first section and songs like 'I'm Addicted' with the overuse of the vocoder), nobody was dancing or having any fun in my area, and a bunch of my friends did not enjoy, the ones outside the golden triangle that is. The vibe was terrible. I actually didn't mind her rendition of Like a Virgin but it didn't go down that well either.

I also remember hearing reports of her bitching that on many nights, a lot of people not moving or having fun, I chock it up to the show, I am sorry. And let's not forget about the numerous complaints about her simulating the blowing of people's heads off with guns, yeah, so feel good for so many to gush about. And a lot of people complained about the lack of old songs. Come on, surely you heard about mixed feelings on the show.

But with this all said, this is from my personal experience and assessments. I don't mean to say that NOBODY enjoyed it at all in the whole wide world (which is just as ridiculous as you saying EVERYONE enjoyed it).

And the MDNA tour itself is not necessarily the point of my post on here (we can take it to the tour section if you so please). All I was saying is that I would like her to give a bit more love on the new single/album to get more people into it before the show begins, if she wants to do another tour with a lot of focus on the album (and please get Stuart Price or somebody who knows how to do sound back for a live show, lol).

So yeah, you aren't going to label me, hunty, no more than I will label you. I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me! :newspaper:

Guest bluejean

Another 'rushed' tour????

Who r u people :rotfl:

Have u seen MDNA!?

I thought that too about the choice of wording but I think they meant "rushed" as in coming straight after the album release, not necessarily meaning the tour was rushed.

I want the first single to feature Miley and Nicki while Madonna raps to a reggae beat wearing grills. :yes:

Me, too!

I really don't think the type of promotion of singles and videos people are talking about here will really have the effect of getting casual fans to know new music like people here seem to think. Us very dedicated always want to hear new music, but no matter what promotion you do it seems to me there are casual fans who really aren't interested in new music no matter how much you try to force it on them through promotion. They are mostly interested in hearing the classics and older material. I would like to see her do promotion just selfishly because I like seeing her on tv, being interviewed, buying magazines with her in them but I think it's naive to think that type of promotion will have some kind of big effect on getting everyone into the new music. The same with videos. I like watching Madonna videos as a fan, but they just aren't the promotional tool they used to be because MTV and VH1 don't play them.

Guest bluejean

Ok, please don't get childish now with statements like "I doubt you went to the show" or labeling me as a "non-fan"... I am a huge fan and can form my own opinion of what I like and don't like by my all time favorite artist. And MDNA is my least favorite show by her, I am sorry (I mentioned this in the tour forum as well). BUT with that said, I still have some moments from it I liked, but overall, it is at the bottom for me.

I was at the second night in Toronto on the floor near the cat walk.... nobody was having fun around me, the sound was terrible in many parts (she sounded like a Chipette on 'Girl Gone Wild' and then a robot for the first section and songs like 'I'm Addicted' with the overuse of the vocoder), nobody was dancing or having any fun in my area, and a bunch of my friends did not enjoy, the ones outside the golden triangle that is. The vibe was terrible. I actually didn't mind her rendition of Like a Virgin but it didn't go down that well either.

I also remember hearing reports of her bitching that on many nights, a lot of people not moving or having fun, I chock it up to the show, I am sorry. And let's not forget about the numerous complaints about her simulating the blowing of people's heads off with guns, yeah, so feel good for so many to gush about. And a lot of people complained about the lack of old songs. Come on, surely you heard about mixed feelings on the show.

But with this all said, this is from my personal experience and assessments. I don't mean to say that NOBODY enjoyed it at all in the whole wide world (which is just as ridiculous as you saying EVERYONE enjoyed it).

And the MDNA tour itself is not necessarily the point of my post on here (we can take it to the tour section if you so please). All I was saying is that I would like her to give a bit more love on the new single/album to get more people into it before the show begins, if she wants to do another tour with a lot of focus on the album (and please get Stuart Price or somebody who knows how to do sound back for a live show, lol).

So yeah, you aren't going to label me, hunty, no more than I will label you. I'm not your bitch, don't hang your shit on me! :newspaper:

If people weren't blown away (no pun intended :chuckle:) by that first section then they must be really lacking a pulse. It was a visual masterpiece.

Don't forget, there is sometimes a difference between what hardcore fans think and casual fans. The hardcore may accept just about everything she does, but that does not always translate to everyone (e.g. the use of guns in imagery and shooting someone's head off can evoke different opinions for example).

Similar to this forum.... as much as 10 - 15 people on here would rather no 'newbies' come in and voice their opinion, you will just have to deal with different perspectives.

Guest bluejean

Don't forget, there is sometimes a difference between what hardcore fans think and casual fans. The hardcore may accept just about everything she does, but that does not always translate to everyone (e.g. the use of guns in imagery and shooting someone's head off can evoke different opinions for example).

We didn't love the opening section because we "accept everything she does" (we don't.) We loved it because it was fantastic.

I'm sure lots of casual fans loved it too. I think the people who didn't just went to the concert expecting something else. Either that or they were super conservative. The hate for that section seemed to commence in the US as I recall.

Similar to this forum.... as much as 10 - 15 people on here would rather no 'newbies' come in and voice their opinion, you will just have to deal with different perspectives.

But if she does things that only casual fans like or that translates to everyone, she will be very limited in what she can do in her shows. Her shows have always been a little outside the norm as compared to a lot of other artists who just sing their hits with a band. You can't please everyone with a live show. Different people are going to like some parts and not like others. I think she does a good job of balancing controversial political moments like the gun imagery with more universal traditionally appealing things such as Like A Prayer. But if she did the whole show just singing her best known songs sung in a non controversial way, some people would say her tours are boring and uncreative now. So you can never please everyone so she has to follow her own artistic muse and put on the show she feels is best. People are free to like it or not like it, but I don't think she has to bland herself out by only doing things that she thinks every single person will relate to.

Guest bluejean

But if she does things that only casual fans like or that translates to everyone, she will be very limited in what she can do in her shows. Her shows have always been a little outside the norm as compared to a lot of other artists who just sing their hits with a band. You can't please everyone with a live show. Different people are going to like some parts and not like others. I think she does a good job of balancing controversial political moments like the gun imagery with more universal traditionally appealing things such as Like A Prayer. But if she did the whole show just singing her best known songs sung in a non controversial way, some people would say her tours are boring and uncreative now. So you can never please everyone so she has to follow her own artistic muse and put on the show she feels is best. People are free to like it or not like it, but I don't think she has to bland herself out by only doing things that she thinks every single person will relate to.

Exactly.

Trying to please the entire audience is impossible. Re-invention being a great example. That tour was a real crowd pleaser and I'm sure the average casual fan walked out satisfied but a lot of hardcore fans consider it uninspired.

Ever since Drowned World I have heard about all these people who think her show is boring and too arty and not enough hits etc and it never end up hurting her ticket sales the next time. The demand has become less crazy but there is a recession and she tours much more often.

Of course I wouldn't want Madonna just to be "uninspired" and sing the old songs, but some tours work better than others. My main thing is I need good sound. Yes, the visuals were good on MDNA.

I am sure she will come up with something fierce for the new tour judging from how much she seems to be into the creative process on this new album. But can't wait to see what focus there will be for the new album, I hope the tour announcement is NOT almost immediate.

Edited by madmark