Did Madonna go to the Kate Bush concert on Tues? (Rumours or Lies from DM site?)

Ugly Hecty

Kim, like Madonna I never play the victim

And I have no negative feelings about you either way

Everyone is,FREE to voice their opinions on here

Honestly, I'm 28 and I seem to be the oldest 28 y/o in my life. My guess is there are plenty of people in their late 20's who know nothing pre-2000's and cling to the even younger generations "pop" culture. I, mean, even in NYC bars, there's 20-30 year old demographic jumping, singing and dancing to Kesha, Taylor Swift and Iggy Azelia back to back with not even ONE type of song that I would listen to. I've had conversations with these people at the bar or outside while smoking a cigarette and they know nothing of Stevie or Debbie or even who Annie Lennox is. I'm serious. It drives me fucking crazy. I actually stopped going to gay bars for that reason. I became the Debbie downer of my group. I can't dance to music I don't like. Now I BEG the DJ to play ONE song I love, I dance, and call it night, clinging to the bar and chatting with an old gay about Anita O'Day and the impact of certain women of yesterday. Lucky for me, one drag Queen I know happens to love a Robyn (who no one knows either unless it's Dancing on my Own, and plays Do It Again...we both go crazy and everyone stares :lol:)

Thank you Mensch...I know I'm not the only one now. Feel the same way (esp. with most of my tastes being in "old school" funk and R&B).

That being said, I wouldn't jump on certain people if they don't know who certain artists are. Instead, share with them and show them. I'll admit...as much as I think I know about certain things...there is always something new to learn or be exposed to..esp. with art and music, of which I've learned a lot myself just by being at this board.

So don't be too harsh...

Guest Rachelle of London

That being said, I wouldn't jump on certain people if they don't know who certain artists are. Instead, share with them and show them. I'll admit...as much as I think I know about certain things...there is always something new to learn or be exposed to..esp. with art and music, of which I've learned a lot myself just by being at this board.

So don't be too harsh...

Its not the knowing of who artists are, its the insinuation of having to be from a "gay cult" to know who she is and the arrogance of wondering why Madonna dared to go to a Kate Bush show.

For those who don't know who Kate is fair enough, but dont assume that no one else does. Shes only released two albums since Ive been born and I dont even have that attitude

Its not the knowing of who artists are, its the insinuation of having to be from a "gay cult" to know who she is and the arrogance of wondering why Madonna dared to go to a Kate Bush show.

For those who don't know who Kate is fair enough, but dont assume that no one else does. Shes only released two albums since Ive been born and I dont even have that attitude

Have to admit "gay cult" is pretty funny... I must not have gotten the memo... :laugh:

ps. I totally get what you're saying.... My comment was just more so 'in general'.

ITS ME IM KATHY IVE COME HOME *kicks up leg and twirls*

I thought the business in this thread was cause there was a picture of Madonna there and I got excited..but nope just another petty ass fight

As...depressing as that is, it's not entirely unprecedented. In my clubbing heyday of the 90s, most of that demographic balked at the majority of 60s/70s artists just like these young uns do today with the greats of the 80s/90s. Which isn't to say that all young people are like that. Music lovers will seek out good music from whatever era.

But we're in a Madonna forum here with a great cross-representation of fans (I'm guessing more young than old tbh) and thankfully I notice a great appreciation and understanding of all genres.

Oh and Melrose stop playing the victim. The only reason I even said anything is because you've been going off on one in a very similar manner in other threads as well.

Tell 'em sisters. :wow:

*Big Sky craziness*

That's awesome that Madonna went to see Kate. I've never heard her speak about Kate but I always thought she would be someone that Madonna would admire as an artist. With the dance and theatrics of her earlier work, there is definitely common ground between the two. I would love to see her show but I couldn't justify flying to London for it. I wonder if she has any plans to film any of the performances for release?

Edited by sonicboy

I wonder if this is the night MadRyan is at the concert. Wouldn't it be a dream come true if they met and talked and she hired him as her personal hair dresser. :laugh:

That would be the ideal situation.. Unfortunately i'm not going till 9/23-9/24. Maybe M will have to catch it again before the run is over!! Fingers crossed! I'll have my 50 year old friend (a former model who's also a client) with me, so I'll have a walking billboard! LOL

No pics??????

Oh, i hope at least those at the loo queue took a pic or something!

I love Kate's 50 words of Snow, one of her last albums. I don't follow her, but that album is so incredibly beautiful. I'm told that her shows are an incredible experience! And i'm so glad that Madonna is there, sometimes I feel that Madonna needs a reference that is not like 25 years old, but somebody mature that still rises LOADS of expectation with each release!

Apparently Kate is using Omar Hakim, Madonna's brilliant Girlie Show drummer, for these concerts. If Madonna really did go I hope it reminded her of his talent for her next tour.

Guest bluejean

People are so quick to fight about ANYTHING. Seriously. Get off your mood swings. It's like every time someone voices an opinion, someone attacks almost immediately. Ugh ...wtf!

Young music listeners in the USA don't know shit anymore about music or culture beyond today. I know a kid who didn't know who Bjork was until I mentioned her to him the other day let alone Kate Bush. It's a shame really but it is what it is. Most young people don't even know who Blondie or Fleetwood Mac or David Bowie is (AMONGST the younger people I talk to). I mean, even the 90's they don't know.

Because their opinions are ridiculous.

It has nothing to do with their age, it's their attitude. You don't see IsaacHarris come in and say retarded things. He will go and check it out and decide if he's into it. Some people are eager to be educated and/or educate themselves rather than totally make morons of themselves by displaying their ignorance. They deserve to be shot down.

I read somewhere she didn't sing her most famous songs, is that right?

Should be vital that schools should teach music and film history IMHO. But we should not box all young people together, I see many young kids into what their parents were into.

If youre going you might not want to read this because its spoiler full!

REVIEW: KATE BUSH - BEFORE THE DAWN

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS!

Wait a minute… Did that just happen?!

That is all I keep thinking to myself ever since I walked away from the Eventim Apollo last night, and after witnessing probably THE most anticipated, talked about, and fan demanded concert of the last decade.

Funny thing is, if anyone had said even six months ago that Kate Bush was going to do a month of live shows, they would have been slapped with a wet kipper for such a ludicrous and stupid prediction.

As we entered the Apollo, I was asked to present photo ID to prove that I was the ticket buyer to gain entry - be warned that they are indeed checking this! Luckily I had my passport in my bag, and we were ushered through the main doors. Once into the main lobby of the Eventim Hammersmith, the deathly weight of anticipation and disbelief was hanging heavy in the air as a sea of screaming people clawed their way to the front of the merchandise stalls, all grabbing at least one of every trinket available, just in case they never got the chance to get their hands on any official Kate clobber ever again.

Screams and cheers shook the room as Kate boldly marched out onto the stage, dressed all in black with her famous long locks falling about her waist and ‘Macho Man Randy Savage’ fringe waving from her jacket sleeves. She belted her way through hit after hit, laughing at her own dancing as she twirled and took in the crowd…and she fooled us all with it. This game…this ploy to make the audience truly believe that 35 years later, she was going to simply blast her way through her back catalogue and bust a few moves in her bare feet. And by the incredible sound and power of her voice that was tearing the roof off the building with Hounds of Love and Running Up That Hill, we would have been more than happy for her to do so.

Then, just as she reached the crescendo of King Of The Mountain, there was an almighty explosion, throwing darkness, dry ice and an avalanche of notes reading the rhyme of the Ninth Wave across the entire audience.

And so begins the REAL Kate Bush show…and anyone who likes the idea of a straightforward ‘hits in a microphone’ kind of gig is set to be left baffled from this point forward.

Great waves of water effects drown the stage as frozen rooms rise from the ground, and Kate along with her backing performers, skates across the stage, beginning the infamous Ninth Wave segment of her Hounds Of Love album; the story of a woman who falls through an icy ground and must take a treacherous journey to survive a frozen death out in the cold sea. As the story of the Ninth Wave is played out, we see floating houses pass the stage, helicopter spotlights over the audience, video footage of Kate clinging to life out in the open sea with nothing but a shining light and a life jacket, and gangs of skeletal fish people, all very reminiscent of Ray Harryhausen’s skeleton warriors in Jason and the Argonaughts.

The entire audience gasped in awe, straying somewhere between ‘jaws on the floor’ and ‘clutching pearls’ throughout the entire segment, and I chewed my fingers down to stubs. These were stage effects beyond any concert I had ever seen, and Kate not only took centre stage throughout like riding a wild bull, but sang every note of it live, loud, and as criminally outstanding as the album it was first recorded on.

After a 20 minute interval, just so we could recover from the sheer madness of act one, Kate returned to the stage with A Sky of Honey the second part of her 2005 album, Aerial. This was not - apart from to hardcore Kate Bush fans - the most well known segment musically, but just when you feel the effects of the first act couldn’t be topped, Kate sings to a curious little boy puppet made of wood, all controlled by a man dressed in back, and her son Bertie, who we learn is part of her backing vocalists throughout the entire show, also takes on the lyrics of the painters link. Bertie now has a brilliantly trained adult voice and handles his role in his mums show like a PRO. As Kate chirps, whistles and tweets an ACTUAL birdsong, I’m forced to hold my head, as I thought it was about to implode from equal amounts of disbelief, and utterly baffled joy.

As A Sky of Honey reaches its peak, the band, the backing singers and even Kate herself start grow wings and turn into giant birds…no, literally!

Kate ends the show, rising above the stage in enormous 20ft death-black feathered wings, bringing the audience to its knees with an unbelieved awe, and after an encore of Cloudbusting, she is gone.

The audience stayed clapping for ten minutes after she left the stage, whooping, cheering and screaming her name. but the legend that is Kate Bush was done here. She didn’t come back. She had created a religious experience out of a concert, and I am STILL in disbelief that It actually happened and wasn’t just some great ethereal dream.

Many artists can be compared to someone else. But there truly is only ONE Kate Bush.
I have no comparison for any piece of music or style she has. And my god, I am so glad to see her return. This was not a concert. This was an experience and an event I don’t think I, or anyone else who attends it, will ever forget.

5/5
Before The Dawn is at Hammersmith Apollo, London, until 1 October.

I read somewhere she didn't sing her most famous songs, is that right?

Should be vital that schools should teach music and film history IMHO. But we should not box all young people together, I see many young kids into what their parents were into.

Unfortunately, she didn't perform "Wuthering Heights", "Babooshka" or "Wow". In fact, she didn't perform anything from her first 4 album's but she pretty much made up for it with her spectacular performance of "The Ninth Wave". The show's been getting amazing reviews so far.

Setlist:

Lily

Hounds of Love

Joanni

Running Up That Hill

Top of the City

King of the Mountain

The Ninth Wave

And Dream of Sheep

Under Ice

Waking the Witch

Watching You Without Me

Jig of Life

Hello Earth

The Morning Fog

A Sky of Honey

Prelude

Prologue

An Architect’s Dream

The Painter’s Link

Sunset

Aerial Tal

Somewhere in Between

Nocturn

Aerial

Among Angels

Cloudbusting

Objectively Kate Bush only has a major hit with Wuthering Heights.. and that was back in the 70's. She is most certainly a pioneer when it comes down to performance combining theater and music... i'm sure Madonna does owe her a lot in that respect but I'm not necessarily into her music.. it sounds too lethargic for my taste.

Yes, as usual the British press is now hyping her as if she's only just started and everybody's praising her current and past works.. to tell the truth i might most likely have fallen asleep during her show judging from the reviews i have read or the pictures i have seen online.. i did not find anything so ground breaking and unique as the media reported. Bjork and other artists have been doing same kind of thing for decades now.. they just did not go hiding for 35 years and come back prompting a new found interest..

Thing is music today is so boring and predictable all these music journalists are jumping on anything just to escape the sad scenario of the industry...

The "weird" pictures and costumes and even the set at some point have all been seen in Madonna shows talking about the theater experience but no one is going to say that because the media have already made up their mind saying Kate Bush is better and more original than Madonna.

Madonna being at the concert?? She must have laughed her head off when she saw her Bang Gang set on stage...

Now the media is going all out with their hands up in the air praising Kate Bush (which i appreciate.. don't get me wrong) but let's just hope she is not going to show any sign of controversy and we' ll see those knives getting sharp and a lot of backlash coming her way, too. So please, let's not fool ourselves.. when the hype goes down they will be trying to look for someone else to put on the pedestal and we all are going to get intrigued by it.