The cold, unpolished production of the Erotica album: Can you appreciate it?

Oh, and by the way, asking for an edit version of certain songs is just a SACRILEGE.

THIS.

That is one of the things that makes Erotica so strong. The songs are fully developed, they unravel, they narrate... they're not meant to be 3 and half minute radio ditties. And using the longer length that compact discs provided at the time, again, contributes to this album really enveloping the listener in it.

On the other hand, I actually prefer longer songs (probably why I love 12" mixes so much).

Guest bluejean

I replaced the album version of "Fever" with the video remix and I put "Goodbye to Innocence" after "In This Life" :yes:

Yes.

Actually though, id love a reissue of this with Goodbye to Innocence included on the end.

Save the remixes for the 2nd disc.

Me too, haha. I've had a Erotica day.

And yes, this album is a whole, you can't go and edit it. I can't even select a few tracks to listen, for me this album is always from Erotica to the end.

I love the video version for Fever, not only because the beats are so great, but because of the backing vocals.

Omg after all these appreciation posts you guys got me listening to the album now too! Haven't done that in a while, but you got me into the mood! :D

Let's make this the Erotica week :lol:

It is superior, I agree with that. But in my opinion, that remix doesn't flow as good as the album version.

And about edits, I prefer the edit of Deeper over the album version.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

EVERY second of that song counts! Lol!!!

That double chorus before the bridge is everything!

There is something so special about this album. It has such a powerful aura. I also remember I loved caressing the CD as it had a textured surface. Very sensual. Also, the contrast between the romantic side of the album with the filthy side was fascinating. The line "I think it's beginning to rain" sounded so pure, yet felt so dirrrty.

I adore the production. It wouldn't be Erotic...a without it.

I love Erotica, love the Shep songs more though, I don't often get to hear Secret Garden often because of that "Did You Do It" remix (I tend to change the album there). I absolutely adore Erotica, Words, Thief of Hearts, Bye Bye Baby, Deeper & Deeper, Bad Girl, Rain and In This Life.

I don't think the album is unpolished though, all the levels are just right and there are great details in the music layers.

I'd agree it's cold though, a big shift from the more 'friendly' pop of the Like A Prayer album, it's a lot more edgy and I love it!

I LOVE Erotica, my 3rd favorite album behind LAP and ROL.

It's just perfection and one of her most diverse, unique and experimental works.

The lyrics, the production, the videos and of course The Girlie Show...everything about this era is perfect. And she was the ONLY ONE who could pull this off, she's such an amazing artist.

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

EVERY second of that song counts! Lol!!!

That double chorus before the bridge is everything!

But it's remixed! It sounds so much better! The horns are stronger! The bass is alive! It's sublime.

Guest bluejean

Imagine a reissue.

1. CD containing the album

2. 2 CD's containing remixes, non album tracks including unreleased tracks

3. 2 CD's containing The Girlie Show

4. DVD containing the Sex movie, all music videos and the SNL performance of Bad Girl

5. DVD of the Girlie Show

6. The Sex Book reissue

I never think of the production as cold. It's a rich, warm, thick sound. American Life is far colder.

BS is said to be warmer. I love how raw it is, it's different from anything she's done before or since. The album/single version of Erotica remains one of her all time best. :bow:

Guest bluejean

But it's remixed! It sounds so much better! The horns are stronger! The bass is alive! It's sublime.

I didn't notice it was remixed?

I also love David Klub Remix (obviously.) Love all the remixes from this era, even the dubs!

Imagine a reissue.

1. CD containing the album

2. 2 CD's containing remixes, non album tracks including unreleased tracks

3. 2 CD's containing The Girlie Show

4. DVD containing the Sex movie, all music videos and the SNL performance of Bad Girl

5. DVD of the Girlie Show

6. The Sex Book reissue

:wow: OMG that would be amazing.

We all know, though, that Madonna doesn't seem to like doing retrospectives or rereleases much. And the Sex book probably won't be reissued until after her death.

I have mixed feelings about the Erotica album.

At first, it was shocking to listen to. Even though Erotica jumped up the charts immediately, I remember thinking, wow, there are no hit songs on here.

Then little by little, I really began to like a song or two. I remember liking Waiting and Erotica right away. Then Whys It so Hard, Secret Garden. I've never really liked the ballads Bad Girl or Rain. I felt they were included just to help get radio play and feel they would have been better left off, like they don't fit. I wish we could have had a couple more Andre Betts tracks in their place, or even some of the outtakes.

I appreciate now how she was not trying to make a hit pop album, and she got exactly what she was going for out of it.

BS is said to be warmer. I love how raw it is, it's different from anything she's done before or since. The album/single version of Erotica remains one of her all time best. :bow:

I always pair in my mind Erotica and BS. In different ways: from the disatisfaction from Dita, who is having sex sometimes as a way not to be alone, but it's sad in the end, to BS, where she realizes the power of warmth.

Of course, they are paired because BS was the result of the big backslash after Erotica/Sex.

And BS is the door that opened to ROL, with the song Bedtime Story and above all Sanctuary.

But these are the only albums that are a couple in Madonna's career. They could be the ying and the yang.

My all-time favourite M album..I played that cassette non-stop in '92 when I first moved to London.

The cold, unpolished production is just one of the reasons I love it. :inlove:

:kiss2: