The cold, unpolished production of the Erotica album: Can you appreciate it?

Imagine a reissue.

1. CD containing the album

2. 2 CD's containing remixes, non album tracks including unreleased tracks

3. 2 CD's containing The Girlie Show

4. DVD containing the Sex movie, all music videos and the SNL performance of Bad Girl

5. DVD of the Girlie Show

6. The Sex Book reissue

I think you're asking too much... But it would be so great!!!! :laugh:

Guest bluejean

I love how afew of the titles play on the whole sexual innuendo thing. If you just read the titles only you would expect a sluttier affair.

Deeper and Deeper

Bad Girl

Why's It So Hard

Apart from Erotica and Where Life Begins it's not really that raunchy of an album.

Guest bluejean

And she sort of did a similar thing with Bedtime Stories to a degree. The title itself hints at more sexual themes. I'm sure that's what people expected.

And then on the track listing a song called 'Inside of Me' :lol:

And she sort of did a similar thing with Bedtime Stories to a degree. The title itself hints at more sexual themes. I'm sure that's what people expected.

I've always thought the song titles were sluttier than the content itself. I always thought it was funny that she placed Don't Stop before Inside Of Me on the track listing. I'm certain it was intentional.......just like how on COADF she has Jump as track 8 and How High as track 9

I remember from the Kurt Loder interview for Take A Bow that she said 'Inside of Me' was actually about her relationship with her mother. I love that the song about her mother has the most suggestive title on the entire album. :lmao:

:lmao: Nothing is wrong but I laughed at "Jump" followed by "How High" :lmao:

:rotfl:

however, i don't agree that Erotica contains only 2 raunchy songs...in a way or another, not explicitly, there are more songs with eaunchy innuendo...

:rotfl:

however, i don't agree that Erotica contains only 2 raunchy songs...in a way or another, not explicitly, there are more songs with eaunchy innuendo...

You're right.

Secret Garden is about her vadge. :yes:

Bye Bye Baby suggests masochism. :abuse:

It's funny, before the pajama party, MTV went around NYC asking people on the street what the bs video would be like. Everyone said it would be raunchy

Rain despite its blatant extended cum metaphor could also be about her mother right? I mean:

"When you looked into my eyes, and you said goodbye could you see my tears?"

"By sheer voice of will (I feel like a magical child), I will raise you from the ground"

Rain works just as well as a metaphor for the elemental force of love coming down from the heavens above (which she already referenced in D&D). It always sounded to me like it was a song about a deceased lover, but with M it wouldn't surprise me if it was another codified paean to her mother, like Inside of Me.

I never feel like I can over-analyse Erotica, she's operating on so many levels on this album - from the song titles down.

Rain despite its blatant extended cum metaphor could also be about her mother right? I mean:

"When you looked into my eyes, and you said goodbye could you see my tears?"

"By sheer voice of will (I feel like a magical child), I will raise you from the ground"

Rain works just as well as a metaphor for the elemental force of love coming down from the heavens above (which she already referenced in D&D). It always sounded to me like it was a song about a deceased lover, but with M it wouldn't surprise me if it was another codified paean to her mother, like Inside of Me.

I never feel like I can over-analyse Erotica, she's operating on so many levels on this album - from the song titles down.

Agreed. I've also always thought there's a really religious, spiritual quality to the song - similar to Like A Prayer.

"Grunge Dance", that's brilliant!

I love Erotica, it's the sexiest album ever, I think.

I wouldn't call it "unpolished", I feel its rawness is deliberate and very trip-hoppy. The composition is much more haunting and interesting than your average pop record, there's a lot of friction and desperation, even in the more danceable tracks.

It's incredibly courageous to have made an album like this when she was at the top of her game. I don't see any of the pop acts of today having the balls to take such a risk. I don't even see her able to do something like this again these days, to be completely honest.

So, while I don't think this is her best album, neither musically nor conceptually, I do think this is her ULTIMATE album. The most important and defining one in her carreer. And the fact that it became her first big commercial failure, is just an exquisite irony that adds all the more to it. :)

Love this explanation. Totally agree. Def on her top 5 albums IMO though!

Guest bluejean

I remember from the Kurt Loder interview for Take A Bow that she said 'Inside of Me' was actually about her relationship with her mother.

In case it wasn't obvious?

Agreed. I've also always thought there's a really religious, spiritual quality to the song - similar to Like A Prayer.

It's interesting that she references rain in several of her most poetic songs - here obviously, but also in Secret Garden (if I wait for the rain to kiss me and undress me..), Sanctuary (who needs the sun when the rain's so full of life) and Mer Girl (I ran to the sky, out to the lake, into the rain that matted my hair, and soaked my shoes and skin... I tasted the rain, I tasted my tears).

Two might be a coincidence, but four (there could even be more?) is a pattern. I think rain for M is absolutely a symbol of life and cum fertility and motherhood and by consequence her Mother.

In Rain she's waiting on that mountain top endlessly for the storm to pass and in Mer Girl she's running to the lake and up to the hill and she's looking there still and she's always, forever haunted by her mother's spirit.

I've always felt Rain is about loving someone who only loves you when they cum. Thunder only happens when it's raining and all that. That pain of knowing they don't really love you but loving that moment when they do

The cold, unpolished 'Erotic' remix, available only as a promotional single with the Sex book:

I found out only recently there was an edit for this also.

I still have the book, but I lost the damn single. :voodoo:

It was used on a WO remix as well.

you're lucky....my father put both in the garbage can..

:banghead:

Oh, your father didn't put both in the garbage. He hid the book and enjoys himself regularly.

The old excuse: "I threw it in the gargabe can".

:lol:

i can tell you....you're wrong......