Former Freddy DeMann's management partner Ron Weisner on Madonna

XXL

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6099351/ron-weisner-listen-out-loud-madonna-michael-jackson-phil-spector

Ron Weisner on Michael Jackson's Happiness, Shoving Jann Wenner, Passing on Madonna in New Memoir

64595b0b-eb28-470e-b36c-c709d9f421e2_zps

In Listen Out Loud: A Life in Music—Managing McCartney, Madonna and Michael Jackson, veteran manager Ron Weisner, 69, shares inside dirt about his handling some of the top music talent of his generation. His goal: “An honest story of my involvement with these remarkable artists and the play-by-play: the good, the bad and, sometimes, the very ugly,” he says. A sampler of some of his saltier memories in the book, out June 3 from Lyons Press/Globe Pequot Press:

179534-17ecafe0-e550-11e3-addf-ef174a6b8

Passing on Madonna:

Weisner was divvying up clients with his former management partner, Freddy DeMann. “When we got to Madonna’s name, I said, ‘You can have her. You belong together.’ The second those words left my mouth, I felt like a huge ... weight had been lifted from my shoulders ... I didn’t like Madonna and Madonna didn’t like me. Don’t get me wrong: I have a lot of respect for her as an entertainer and a businesswoman. She learned early on how to manipulate the press, create controversy, push everything up to the edge and beyond and turn it into commercial domination. I knew that if she didn’t implode, the sky was the limit. And I was right. I just didn’t want to be around it.”

Madonna Complaining in Italy While Shooting Her "Like a Virgin" Video:

"Every time we packed up the cameras, she bitched. Every time we got into a boat, she bitched. "You're all a bunch of fucking idiots," she'd tell the Italian crew, who was busting its collective hump to get her video in the can. "You're wasting my time. You're wasting our time. Now quit sticking it to me and hurry up." I asked Freddy, "What the hell's her problem? We're in Italy. It's more fun than being in Long Island City. What does she have going on that's better than this?" He just shrugged."

virg.jpg

lavbh2.jpg

4cbadedb-d99e-4e0d-b032-df33779f7acb_zps

4d3da619-ec31-454e-bd5f-65ae482ee412_zps

cb7ceb34-3d77-4a08-9187-9ca9481f89c0_zps

c40316f0-4d66-4502-b654-c6a4689d7dbb_zps

Well, even Madonna has admitted that she had everything, but that didn't make her happy. I'm never surprised when they say that she was a bitch. She has admitted she was many times a bitch.

Besides, we have to rememember that everything is waiting, she has to hurry up, etc.

So true about the implode. It's amazing that she hasn't imploded after thirty years.if any artist had the right to, it would be her.

He is far worse than she ever was. Diminishing and completely dismissing her accomplishments in his stupidity book. When Madonna writes a book spreading the same garbage people have been saying about him for years call me. Wow what she must have done to everyone's lives and careers being demanding on a video shoot. Who knows how true what he says is and none of us were there. I don't even know this guy.

Give me a moody person any day over snakes that try to take away your accomplishments.

Madonna is successful because of her music, unless I am the only person who bought her albums because of her music and her voice?

More of her fans need to write articles and books. This guy is speaking for the media and whatever businessmen Madonna has probaly had to put up with in the music industry.

Yeah she's in Italy and I'm guessing it was like "she's a girl and girl's just want to have fun." We all know women aren't allowed to be talented or smart or serious. The only women loved and respected are sweet and nice and never say anything to anyone (although they get a pass for making fun of other women) or they have to be a drugged up tortured artist in which case they are only respected.

All I see is that she was a bitch because they wasted her time. Girl has always wanted to do things fast. For him shooting a video might have been fun, but for her it was obviously work. I guess thats the right attitude, judging by her career...

Love this interview Madonna did where she mentions making Like a Virgin. She seemed to love Venice. He was most likely exaggerating about her because I am sure we would have heard much more about that otherwise.

"Every time we packed up the cameras, she bitched. Every time we got into a boat, she bitched. "You're all a bunch of fucking idiots," she'd tell the Italian crew, who was busting its collective hump to get her video in the can. "You're wasting my time. You're wasting our time. Now quit sticking it to me and hurry up." I asked Freddy, "What the hell's her problem? We're in Italy. It's more fun than being in Long Island City. What does she have going on that's better than this?" He just shrugged."

well she says she had a blast :lol:

he obviously can't cope with the way she gets things done

From Liz Smith's article on Weisner's book:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2014-05-22/entertainment/sns-201405211600--tms--lizsmittr--x-a20140522-20140522_1_michael-jackson-joe-jackson-gladys-knight

However, the manager did not get along with Madonna, whom he knew during the frantic early years of her career -- up from the clubs, an MTV sensation, and suddenly on the cusp of international fame. "Madonna would do anything to succeed. Anything she had to. It seemed at times she was working on getting meaner."

Unlike the chapters on Michael Jackson, there's nothing tragic about Madonna. Ron's recollections of her are knife-like, but a lot of fun. (Primarily because Madonna, whatever one might think of her, has never self-destructed, never been arrested, never been in rehab, never been involved in scandals outside her "shocking" -- now rather boring -- professional displays, maybe there is something to be said for being "mean"?)

As much as Weisner disliked her, he writes: "Two hours into our first meeting, I knew Madonna would succeed. H--l, if you spent two minutes around her and you had any sense of pop culture, you knew she'd succeed!" There is a lot of interesting info on how MTV and the music industry was changing at that point and how Madonna -- abrasive and eerily confident -- fit so neatly, quickly and perfectly into that era.

Other than that, what do we learn? It's much in the vein of brother Christopher Ciccone's tell-all. Madonna is tight with a penny, complains a lot and doesn't appear to ever be grateful. ("That word was not in her vocabulary.")

Eventually, claims Weisner, Madonna's little ways became too much, and he "gave" her to Freddy DeMann, who guided the icon through her best years, along with the monumental effort of Warner Bros. press rep Liz Rosenberg. Without Liz R., I firmly believe Madonna, for all her drive and -- yes! -- talent -- would have imploded in some way, years ago.)

Ugh, another ass*ole only calling her an "entertainer" and "businesswoman". Fuck that shady shit, seriously. People ALWAYS feel the need to dismiss her talent.

I also hate how people feel the need to talk about the help Madonna received from others people as if it was something bad. YES, of course people helped her and guided her, ALL EVERY OTHER ARTIST IN THE INDUSTRY! There's NOTHING wrong with that as long as you're not a manufactured pop puppet.

But no, it seem to be a problem with Madonna only.

Guest Rachelle of London

Am I the only one that doesn't see anything wrong with what he said. He's not slagging her off he's just stating HIS experience with her. Surely he's allowed that.

Am I the only one that doesn't see anything wrong with what he said. He's not slagging her off he's just stating HIS experience with her. Surely he's allowed that.

I personally have more of a problem with the fact that he just called her an "entertainer and businesswoman" than he talking about some bad experience. It's tiresome and shady as hell to see people constantly calling her that rather than calling her an artist, which is what she really is. Sometimes i almost think they're talking about Britney Spears, not Madonna.

Guest Rachelle of London

I personally have more of a problem with the fact that he just called her an "entertainer and businesswoman" than he talking about some bad experience. It's tiresome and shady as hell to see people constantly calling her that rather than calling her an artist, which is what she really is. Sometimes i almost think they're talking about Britney Spears, not Madonna.

If we list her titles we'd be here all day. Madonna herself prefers performance artist, but I doubt she'd be offended with entertainer or business woman.

If we list her titles we'd be here all day. Madonna herself prefers performance artist, but I doubt she'd be offended with entertainer or business woman.

Maybe you're right, i don't know. I just wish people would respect her talent more.

Exactly. I have never viewed Madonna as a businesswoman. How successful she is in handling her personal finances is of little interest to me. It's like when Larry King had to blurt out something about marketing when Dita Von Teese was answering a question about Madonna. It's like no no no I don't want hear anything about artistic inspiration. It's marketing. She's a businesswoman. Yeah and you know what there are a lot of men this guy would be praising to the high heavens for their artistic accomplishments who happen to be damn good businessmen. They just don't simplify their accomplishments. I don't think Madonna would mind being called a business woman but I also don't think she would want to be known for one area of her life.

Exactly. I have never viewed Madonna as a businesswoman. How successful she is in handling her personal finances is of little interest to me. It's like when Larry King had to blurt out something about marketing when Dita Von Teese was answering a question about Madonna. It's like no no no I don't want hear anything about artistic inspiration. It's marketing. She's a businesswoman. Yeah and you know what there are a lot of men this guy would be praising to the high heavens for their artistic accomplishments who happen to be damn good businessmen. They just don't simplify their accomplishments. I don't think Madonna would mind being called a business woman but I also don't think she would want to be known for one area of her life.

Yeah, exactly what i was thinking, you expressed it even better.

there's quite a few things wrong with what he said! he totally belittled her achievements saying she's just a business woman. NO. she's an ARTIST and a fantastic songwriter AND singer AND a fantastic performer. a businesswoman doesn't come up with shows like the MDNA tour, confessions, or DWT. a businesswoman doesn't sing her heart out. no businesswoman (or man for that matter) would go through all the amount of work and detail just for publicity and money (which is basically what business people are all about: selling a product) she puts her soul out there. I know this sounds silly, maybe naive. but to me Madonna is 100% an artist. maybe even more so than all the other "singers" out there. she's one of the only artists who puts on a whole concept behind every single song for her tour. she doesn't need to do that. she could easily repeat herself for every tour and just sing the hits and grab the money. ha, it would be so much easier! but she's not doing that because she wants to show her art, her vision, her story to the world. and that's the perfect description of what an artist is.

​how can anyone even say she's not an artist when watching her tours? especially compared to all the other shit out there? seriously every single singer just sings their shit and that's it. there's nothing going on aside a bit of rhythmic dancing. i can't believe even a former manager who has met her and obviously would know what he's talking about would say such a thing. that to me says he just can't stand her at all.

:rotfl: :loltastica: :inlove:

she's one of the only artists who puts on a whole concept behind every single song for her tour. she doesn't need to do that. she could easily repeat herself for every tour and just sing the hits and grab the money. ha, it would be so much easier! but she's not doing that because she wants to show her art, her vision, her story to the world. and that's the perfect description of what an artist is.

And that's why I'm a Madonna fan! :)

Guest Rachelle of London

I still don't get why knickers are in a twist. Maybe I missed the "attack on Madonna" in his statement

I still don't get why knickers are in a twist. Maybe I missed the "attack on Madonna" in his statement

While I'm never fond of reading claims of M being bitchy, I think I share what Chelle seems to feel: M is no shrinking violet. Obviously the quotes on M are meant to help sell Weisner's book. Yet, personally, I don't feel M's reputation is being besmirched by his claims. She's often said herself that she can be a bitch - hell, unapologetic bitch is even one of her current catch phrases.

I highlighted the tidbit about Liz Rosenberg's supposed role, not because I think it in any way diminishes M's achievements, but because it made ME think of M a bit more as a real person (as opposed to M the Icon). The Liz-M relationship is something I would love to learn about a bit more. Maybe one day, if M ever writes an autobiography, she'll share some thoughts and stories on Liz.