Do you LOVE the song "Material Girl"?

Crystal Coffin

I honestly have never been a big fan of the song, but a few weeks back I was at this restaurant with some family members and what song started to play? MATERIAL GIRL. I was so excited I could barely stay seated :lol: my brother kept talking loudly and I said "BE QUIET MADONNA IS PLAYING" :lmao: it's so awesome hearing her music in a public place!

I absolutely love this song. It is different, insanely catchy and I love the message of it. It always amazes me that people do not get the irony of both the song and the video. Talking about the video - pure magic. Madonna is the only star I know that could take on Marilyn Monroe's look from Gentlemen prefer blondes and be just as beautiful and sexy. Having a different hair-style helped give her a different look too. Easily one of the best songs of the 80's.

madonna-material-girl.jpg

Material Girl is my first memory of Madonna. I was 7. I used to go to my friend's house, across the street, to play. She was a couple years older than me, and watched MTV 24/7. As I sat patiently waiting to go outside and play hide and seek, we'd watch countless music videos. This is one of the few that I distinctly remember seeing. It resonated with me, even at that young of an age. I was mesmerized by her persona. I wasn't even interested in music yet, but that song was so catchy. It wasn't until 6 years later that I actually became a fan, but I'll never forget my introduction to Madonna, thanks to my childhood friend, Heidi. :)

I absolutely love this song. It is different, insanely catchy and I love the message of it. It always amazes me that people do not get the irony of both the song and the video. Talking about the video - pure magic. Madonna is the only star I know that could take on Marilyn Monroe's look from Gentlemen prefer blondes and be just as beautiful and sexy. Having a different hair-style helped give her a different look too. Easily one of the best songs of the 80's.

madonna-material-girl.jpg

What I love most about the video is that song totally compliments the song Marilyn sang, Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend but Material Girl is a different, fun, totally 80's song and both are meant to be amusing. That's what I thought when I first saw the video. It's amazing to me what some take seriously and what they don't.

In 1985, Brown co-wrote "Material Girl", which became one of Madonna's biggest hits and signature song. It also made Brown's music publishing company, Minong Publishing one of the year's top music publishers. Brown recalled, "We were trying to write a song for her and we were brainstorming for some musical direction that seemed to suit her. I was driving home when I started humming the chorus to a song. I could hear the whole thing in my head as if it were a finished record. It was all there in a flash, music and lyrics. Living in a material world, living in a material world. It is the one and only time a song has come to me like that - like a gift from heaven. I remember forcing myself to sing it over and over while I made my way home so as not to become distracted by something else and forget it completely. When I got home I quickly played and sang it into a recorder to lock it in. There was her song."

HOW DID THIS THREAD SINK TO PAGE 2?

Some consider Material Girl her signature song, understandably so! It's a jam in every sense of the word. The beat is funky as hell, her vocals are smooOOOooth, the lyrics are cute, the video is flawless... its really the perfect pop tune! "You knowwwww that we are liiiiiiiiiVING INNA MUH-TERIAL WHIRL..." -She sounds particularly fabulous as fuck in this live performance:

:rotfl: @ 2:26 onward. "ISN'T THAT RITE LADIESSSSSS!? AH! AH!"

Guest Rachelle of London

I have a love hate relationship with MG, some days I absolutely ADORE it! then others I just have to turn it off!!!!!

my fave performance is the BAT one!

Yes love it. But Madonna doesn't haha

:laugh: Actually, she does now. She addressed disliking Material Girl for years as hated being referred to as a Material girl because she is not materialist at all. Also, she was amazed that people did not get the message or irony behind it all. Plus, she let Lola use it for her fashion line - the name Material Girl. She seems totally fine with it now.

The thing is that she even stated during the LAV tour that 'she wants love not money'. Funny people choose to ignore the message.

Yes, I don't understand how people can be so moronic. I mean the line in the song "Experience has made me rich and now they're after me" just summed up the anti-materialist message in the song. I picked it up when I was a child. As for the video, how could all of the messages go over people's heads ? The fact that she was telling her friend on the phone that this guy thought he could impress her with expensive gifts and then offered the necklace to her over the phone. Then reacted more warmly when he gave her cheap daisies and hired the truck. Plus, the video was her own ironic take on "diamonds are a girl's best friend" It is all so plain to see.