THE 2013 MADONNANATION TOP 40

ryan

I can't see the list :(

The actual post with the top 10. All I see is Whoopie's post at 06:36 pm and Mattress Huzzah post at 06:47 followed by chelle's posts and all the others commenting on it

:confused:

08expressyourself.png

08) EXPRESS YOURSELF

joe: One of the first Madonna songs I fell in love with. Not only her amazing vocals, but that bassline! Also one of the best remixed Madonna singles. It's one of her most iconic songs, and the opening of the Blond Ambition Tour. It also accompanies one of, if not the best video of her entire 30 year career. A song so brilliant that its the first that someone so unoriginal attempts (but fails) to copy. Madonna is also able to include a blatant message without it being try-hard or cringeworthy, which makes the song so much the better.

I feel famous! Thanks for including me! I can't decide whether that 6th sentence even makes sense, but oh well. Great list by the way, very very well done.

Fuck yeahhh!

Live to tell #4! :tigger:

I love this song!

Never expected that so many enjoy it as much as me!

I really love all top 5, but chocked with no Like a Virgin! WTF? It's a classic!

MY TOP 40 (Bolded = made the list)

1) Into The Groove
2) Live To Tell
3) Bad Girl
4) Crazy For You
5) Skin
6) Till Death Do Us Part
7) Oh Father
8) Swim
9) Like A Prayer
10) Papa Don't Preach
11) Frozen
12) Express Yourself

13) Take A Bow <------- OUTRAGE
14) Promise To Try
15) Human Nature
16) Ray of Light
17) Material Girl
18) Vogue
19) Keep It Together
20) Where's The Party?
21) Rain
22) Where Life Begins
23) Pray For Spanish Eyes
24) Dear Father
25) Deeper and Deeper
26) Beautiful Stranger
27) Causing A Commotion
28) Drowned World/Substitute For Love
29) Borderline
30) Dress Your Up
31) Lucky Star
32) Why's It So Hard?
33) More
34) Future Lovers
35) Thief Of Hearts
36) X-Static Process
37) Mer Girl
38) Impressive Instant
39) In This Life
40) Love Song (Feat. Prince)

18/40 made the final top 40.

I think it would be great if we could make the list a mn tradition. We could make in every between-albums time! If Whoopie doesnt want to do it again because its too much work, maybe we could make a team effort the next time. Sharing the work (counting votes and picking write ups, art, etc).

MY TOP 40 (Bolded = made the list)

1) Into The Groove

2) Live To Tell

3) Bad Girl

4) Crazy For You

5) Skin

6) Till Death Do Us Part

7) Oh Father

8) Swim

9) Like A Prayer

10) Papa Don't Preach

11) Frozen

12) Express Yourself

13) Take A Bow <------- OUTRAGE

14) Promise To Try

15) Human Nature

16) Ray of Light

17) Material Girl

18) Vogue

19) Keep It Together

20) Where's The Party?

21) Rain

22) Where Life Begins

23) Pray For Spanish Eyes

24) Dear Father

25) Deeper and Deeper

26) Beautiful Stranger

27) Causing A Commotion

28) Drowned World/Substitute For Love

29) Borderline

30) Dress Your Up

31) Lucky Star

32) Why's It So Hard?

33) More

34) Future Lovers

35) Thief Of Hearts

36) X-Static Process

37) Mer Girl

38) Impressive Instant

39) In This Life

40) Love Song (Feat. Prince)

18/40 made the final top 40.

happy to see another one putting Love Song on his list, and x-static process and Swim and More too!!! :dramatic: ....

i understood since the first time that you're a guy with taste!!!

Can we have a breakdown of the scores? I'd be interested to know what got what. It's a fascinating read. I got quite a few of my choices in, especially the top twenty but my later ones seemed to suffer!

In no particular order apart from the Top Ten

1. Into The Groove
2. Erotica
3. Holiday
4. Lucky Star
5. Physical Attraction
6. Dress You Up
7. Stay
8. Deeper and Deeper
9. Justify My Love
10. You'll See
11. Bedtime Story
12. Bad Girl
13. I Want You
14. Nothing Really Matters
15. Music
16. Hung Up
17. Vogue
18. Give It 2 Me
19. Dance 2Night
20. She's Not Me
21. Fever
22. Angel
23. Back In Business
24. Gang Bang
25. Live To Tell
26. Like A Virgin
27. Give Me All Your Luvin'
28. Ain't No Big Deal
29. Borderline
30. Like A Prayer
31. Love Tried To Welcome Me
32. Broken
33. Keep It Together
34. The Look of Love
35. Paradise (Not For Me)
36. Ring My Bell
37. Sanctuary
38. Skin
39. Up Down Suite
40. Waiting

She's dusted off parts of Jump and Sorry on S&S and MDNA, and we've sat through two tortured renditions of Hung Up (I loved both, but square peg round hole much?) and yet the clear MASTERPIECE that is Get Together stands ignored. I vote sending this list to Guy O if ONLY in the vain hope we get to see more drop squat searing autotuned bliss vocals in another rendition of GT.

Get Together was so high! :shock: and you used my description! :inlove:

This list & everyone's write-ups actually made me relisten to a few songs, with a new perspective. Madonna fandom varies GREATLY between each if us, and though most of my picks weren't even on the list, it's nice to see what some songs (i'm not too keen on) mean to others.

happy to see another one putting Love Song on his list, and x-static process and Swim and More too!!! :dramatic: ....

i understood since the first time that you're a guy with taste!!!

:sassy: that's right, bb.

Yay, I'm in the credits :laugh:

The top 3 will always be what it is, in all M countdowns on any site. But I'm glad to see some 00s tracks ranking high (Music and Get together). Also, happy to see Frozen as a song continually in the top 10 of any M countdown among fans.

Happy with the top 40 results, :)

So DAD was the only track off American Life to make the cut and GI2M the Hard Candy song? Blasphemous.

Anyways here's my list.

Everybody
Physical Attraction
Burning Up

Angel
Over and Over
Open Your Heart
Live to Tell
Like a Prayer

Till Death Do Us Part
Oh Father
Justify My Love

Rescue Me
Vogue
Words
Bad Girl
Rain

Take a Bow
Human Nature
Sanctuary
I Want You
Drowned World/Substitute for Love

Skin
Frozen
The Power of Good-Bye
Impressive Instant

Amazing
Time Stood Still
Paradise (Not for Me)

Interventon
Die Another Day
I'm So Stupid
Get Together
I Love New York
Isaac
She's Not Me
Devil Wouldn't Recognize You

Beat Goes On
Gang Bang
I'm Addicted
Love Spent

23/40 :queenbitch:

The ones in red I was really surprised to see them not making the Top 40. And yes, the Top 5 were extremely predictable. Glad to see LAP winning, though! (I told you)

I'll have to make an appreciation thread for Everybody! That song deserves much more love than it gets! It' so timeless and catchy!

This is my list:

• Holiday
  • Borderline
  • Open Your Heart
  • La Isla Bonita
  • Papa Don’t Preach
  • Live to Tell
  • True Blue
  • Cherish
  • Express Yourself
  • Like a Prayer
  • Promise to Try
  • Vogue
  • Rain
  • Erotica
  • Deeper and Deeper
  • Fever
  • Bad Girl
  • Why’s It So Hard?
  • Bye Bye Baby
  • Human Nature
  • Secret
  • Bedtime Story
  • Take a Bow
  • Ray of Light
  • Drowned World/ Substitute for Love
  • Nothing Really Matters
  • Sky Fits Heaven
  • Music
  • Love Profusion
  • Nothing Fails
  • X-Static Process
  • Hung Up
  • Miles Away
  • Candy Shop
  • Beat Goes On
  • Girl Gone Wild
  • I’m a Sinner
  • The Beast Within
  • Causing a Commotion
  • I’ll Remember

20/40

That top five is predictable but perfect. Those songs truly seem to be her most universal, well loved songs by the general public and apparently her diehard fans too! All five of those tracks are truly perfect, timeless pop songs. Nice surprise to see Get Together in the top 10.....even above Hung Up. I figured it would be somewhere on the list but after it didn't make it to top 20 I thought there was no chance. Although expected, it's great to see Express Yourself in the top 10 as well.

This was a lot of fun! Everyone's write up's were fantastic. It's always interesting to read someone elses interpretation or memory of songs, how they've touched their lives. Thank you whoopie for all the blood sweat and tears you put into this! :)

Is it just me or is there anyone else who's disappointed that You'll See didn't make the list?

I think it's one of her most beautiful ballads, both vocal-wise and musically.

That top five is predictable but perfect. Those songs truly seem to be her most universal, well loved songs by the general public and apparently her diehard fans too! All five of those tracks are truly perfect, timeless pop songs.

Actually I think it's pretty much exactly what you would get if you asked non fans what the best Madonna songs are. Case in point...my sisters boyfriend loves Like a prayer. My friend Hannah hates Madonna but thinks Frozen is amazing. I mean...why? :lol: I love these songs but I can't help feeling like people just go with what has been widely reported. I was expecting that maybe one left field fan favourite might make its presence known but obviously not. I bet if Joanne would have voted we would have got the same top five.

I like LAP, but it doesn't really have any emotional impact on me...

I find it hard 2 enjoy records like LAP, MG, LAV & PDP as songs (except Live)

..they r like monuments

Actually I think it's pretty much exactly what you would get if you asked non fans what the best Madonna songs are. Case in point...my sisters boyfriend loves Like a prayer. My friend Hannah hates Madonna but thinks Frozen is amazing. I mean...why? :lol: I love these songs but I can't help feeling like people just go with what has been widely reported. I was expecting that maybe one left field fan favourite might make its presence known but obviously not. I bet if Joanne would have voted we would have got the same top five.

What other songs are deserving of top 5 that would be considered fan favourites? I think the main reason why there isn't fan favourites in the top 5 or so is because with a catalogue so huge, there's just too many fan favourites for there to be enough votes for a particular song.

I like LAP, but it doesn't really have any emotional impact on me...

I find it hard 2 enjoy records like LAP, MG, LAV & PDP as songs (except Live)

..they r like monuments

I love them but the BAT version of LAP is the only one that hits me emotionally. It was a long time before I actually grew to love PDP but I think I enjoy it sonically rather than lyrically. LAV is a classic and I love every live version. Material girl is definitely a monument. I agree with you totally on that.

What other songs are deserving of top 5 that would be considered fan favourites? I think the main reason why there isn't fan favourites in the top 5 or so is because with a catalogue so huge, there's just too many fan favourites for there to be enough votes for a particular song.

Impressive instant. Drowned world. Nobody knows me. Easy ride. She has SO many huge songs (I'm not talking sales but content) so I think you could go on and on with the possibilities. I think when people vote on these things anyway they vote for the experience, the video, the imagery and not solely the song. That's why singles with strong videos/images are the most successful...

My top 40 :

I Know It
Physical Attraction
Stay
Papa don't Preach
Live to Tell
La Isla Bonita
The Look of Love
Causing a Commotion
Like a Prayer
Till death do us part
Oh Father