17) LOVE SPENT

16ohfather.png

16) OH FATHER

14drownedworld.png

14) DROWNED WORLD/SUBSTITUTE FOR LOVE

13deeperanddeeper.png

12hungup.png

12) HUNG UP

johnnox: I was working as a feature writer for a British tabloid newspaper supplement when I got to know Barbara Charone, Madonnas fearsome UK-based PR. Id had many interviews with her other clients over the years, but of course Madonna was out of bounds for tabloid scum like me. Barabra knew I was a fan (Id mentioned it enough times) and Id already attended the listening party of American Life a couple of years earlier.

And while my multiple requests to interview Madonna had been politely declined in the run up to the Confessions, she did invite me to come to her North London office to hear Hung Up in its entirety. Til then, thered only really been a snippet played publicly in her Motorola ad campaign.

Of course I could barely contain my excitement as I sat by Barbaras stereo and she slipped the Confessions CD inside and hit play. With the volume pumped up so high, it made my boots vibrate against the floorboards, it was love at first listen. Then she played it for me again and as a treat, she skipped forward to Sorry and played that in its entirety too. And as soon as I left the building, I sat outside on a brick wall, making as many notes as my shorthand allowed to post on here.

Fast forward a few weeks and Madonnas playing a 40 minute showcase in Camden and Ive blagged a press-pass. Expecting a huge queue outside Koko, I arrived early to find nobody there but me. A cursory glance from security at my lanyard and he misread it, telling me, Crew is upstairs and to the right. I thought for a split second about correcting him but bit my lip instead to see where the night might take me.

Apart from milling bar staff and actual crew members, I was the only outsider there, watching the stage still being assembled and tinkered with. Then to my surprise, 30 minutes later, the thunderous intro to Hung Up began. And as I leaned over the balcony, Madonna and her army of dancers suddenly appeared and ran through the entire dress rehearsal of the show.

I was a mixture of transfixed and disbelieving, waiting for security to clock me and kick me out on my arse. Instead, I was ignored, and left alone to watch in awe my own private Madonna gig.

Then I waited another couple of hours and got to see it all over again in front of an audience of screaming fans.

Eight years later, each time I hear Hung Up, that song still spirits me back to the highlight of my life as a Madonna fan.

OMG Love Spent, DW/SFL, Oh Father and Burning Up actually made it to the Top 20?!! That's fantastic!

@johnnox: I love your Hung Up story! It was amazing to read! I can't believe how lucky you were!

The list is turning out to be great! Love Spent is the only song that shouldn't be that high on the list IMO (the album version feels a bit over-produced indeed).

Just listened 2 the album version again, 1st time in ages & after being conditioned by the glorious live rendition,

I must say it's a fucking train wreck of a record.

^ 7 of those weren't even in my top 40, but hey, different strokes...

It's not my top ten, I'm just guessing. & Lucky Star is my favourite 80's single. :fag:

Top Ten?

Like a Prayer

Into The Groove

Vogue

Erotica

Live To Tell

Music

This Used To Be My Playground

Express Yourself

Frozen

Ray Of Light

Don't be silly, GGW will (unfortunately) be there as well.

Top Ten?

Like a Prayer

Into The Groove

Vogue

Erotica

Live To Tell

Music

This Used To Be My Playground

Express Yourself

Frozen

Ray Of Light

Idk about tutbmp, my money's on Who's That Girl or Rescue Me

I LOVE how upset adreeyen is because she dropped the Impresive Instant/Burning Up from S&S! WHY????

I hope she saves it for another tour. The mash up is too good to go to waste

I LOVE how upset adreeyen is because she dropped the Impresive Instant/Burning Up from S&S! WHY????

II and BU are two of my favorite Madonna songs. It is a serious tragedy she removed it from the set list and I'm not sure I can forgive her for it. I get it was removed in favor of that miraculous LAP, but it could have replaced that train wreck Hung Up. I will have to learn to let it go, forgive her for my sake (not hers) and hope one day she brings it back out for another tour with beefed up imagery and production. I'll be praying for her.

II and BU are two of my favorite Madonna songs. It is a serious tragedy she removed it from the set list and I'm not sure I can forgive her for it. I get it was removed in favor of that miraculous LAP, but it could have replaced that train wreck Hung Up. I will have to learn to let it go, forgive her for my sake (not hers) and hope one day she brings it back out for another tour with beefed up imagery and production. I'll be praying for her.

+1

Although I think she could have replaced for ROL. The S&S is my favorite version of Hung Up :yes:

12) HUNG UP
johnnox: I was working as a feature writer for a British tabloid newspaper supplement when I got to know Barbara Charone, Madonna’s fearsome UK-based PR. I’d had many interviews with her other clients over the years, but of course Madonna was out of bounds for tabloid scum like me. Barabra knew I was a fan (I’d mentioned it enough times) and I’d already attended the listening party of American Life a couple of years earlier.
And while my multiple requests to interview Madonna had been politely declined in the run up to the Confessions, she did invite me to come to her North London office to hear Hung Up in its entirety. Til then, there’d only really been a snippet played publicly in her Motorola ad campaign.
Of course I could barely contain my excitement as I sat by Barbara’s stereo and she slipped the Confessions CD inside and hit ‘play.’ With the volume pumped up so high, it made my boots vibrate against the floorboards, it was love at first listen. Then she played it for me again and as a treat, she skipped forward to Sorry and played that in its entirety too. And as soon as I left the building, I sat outside on a brick wall, making as many notes as my shorthand allowed to post on here.
Fast forward a few weeks and Madonna’s playing a 40 minute showcase in Camden and I’ve blagged a press-pass. Expecting a huge queue outside Koko, I arrived early to find nobody there but me. A cursory glance from security at my lanyard and he misread it, telling me, ‘Crew is upstairs and to the right.’ I thought for a split second about correcting him but bit my lip instead to see where the night might take me.
Apart from milling bar staff and actual crew members, I was the only outsider there, watching the stage still being assembled and tinkered with. Then to my surprise, 30 minutes later, the thunderous intro to Hung Up began. And as I leaned over the balcony, Madonna and her army of dancers suddenly appeared and ran through the entire dress rehearsal of the show.
I was a mixture of transfixed and disbelieving, waiting for security to clock me and kick me out on my arse. Instead, I was ignored, and left alone to watch in awe my own private Madonna gig.
Then I waited another couple of hours and got to see it all over again in front of an audience of screaming fans.
Eight years later, each time I hear Hung Up, that song still spirits me back to the highlight of my life as a Madonna fan.

Amazing story.

woohoo...12 from my top 40!...that's a good number :)...I think there'll be 4 more in the top 10...we'll see

Physical Attraction
Burning Up
Open Your Heart
Live to Tell
Oh Father
Justify My Love
Bad Girl
Rain
Human Nature
Sanctuary
I Want You
Drowned World/Substitute for Love
The Power of Good-Bye
Impressive Instant
Paradise (Not for Me)
Die Another Day
Gang Bang
I'm Addicted
Love Spent

19/40 as of now! :queenbitch: That's incredible!