The Official UK Charts Thread

thebigham

Madonna equals Elvis Presley with 11 top-selling albums in Britain

LONDON (AFP) – Madonna secured her 11th number one album in Britain on Sunday when her greatest hits collection "Celebration" shot to the top of the charts -- equalling Elvis Presley's record.

The pop diva's collection of 36 hits spanning her lengthy career knocked Muse's "The Resistance" from the number one position in its debut week, the Official UK Charts Company said.

The singer has now matched Elvis Presley's record of 11 number one albums for a solo artist in Britain, and is four behind The Beatles who hold the all-time record of 15 top-selling albums, according to the company, which compiles the weekly rundown.

Madonna also becomes the most successful female solo artist of all time in Britain with the most weeks at the top of the album charts -- 29 -- the most number one singles -- 13 -- and the most chart doubles for topping the singles and album charts simultaneously - four, the company said.

The top of the singles chart remains the same, with singer songwriter Taio Cruz holding on to the number one spot for a second week with "Break Your Heart."

I believe she'll pass the Beatles in the future, or at least compare their record.

And let's not forget that both Elvis and The Beatles had #01's on the past years from new compilations released by their companies decades after their carreer was over... Madonna is achieving this alive and with her carreer still going strong!

What are some other sales in recent times for a compilation that isn't an act's first? Beatles' 1 is a rare exception, so we shouldn't look at that.

I don't know what expectations oen can have for the USA, but anything above 100K would be pretty decent, given the circumstances.

to be fair to Mika, his new single hasn't been out long and I doubt most people know he even has an album.

Good for Madonna though. I wonder how it will fair around Christmas time? It's great promotion to say the No'1 album as it influences those who are unsure about what to purchase.

I still have not bought the single or album yet as I am waiting on a vinyl version of the album so that is one more sale :)

to be fair to Mika, his new single hasn't been out long and I doubt most people know he even has an album.

Good for Madonna though. I wonder how it will fair around Christmas time? It's great promotion to say the No'1 album as it influences those who are unsure about what to purchase.

I still have not bought the single or album yet as I am waiting on a vinyl version of the album so that is one more sale :)

Mika has been promoting like the fucking bitch that he is and that DREADFUL recording known as the lead single has been all over radio but THANKFULLY now and then the UK public recognise a steaming pile of SHIT when they hear it. not always but sometimes.

some songs do, i guess if they have appeal then they will. in the top 10 2 album tracks charted - the dizzee rascal and jay-z/alicia keys. dizzee rascal has had some radio 1 airplay. i dont think that a lot of album tracks have entered the charts recently - the arctic monkeys did not seem to do much on their last release, which came out 4 weeks ago.

Do UK iTunes buyers not purchase album tracks as much as USA buyers when an album is released? I'm thinking of non-singles often selling enough to chart on the Hot 100, but neither of the other new tracks on Celebration sold enough to crack the top 100.

It's very possible that if "Revolver" is available for individual purchase in the USA, that it may not sell much,either.

PISS POOR - she should be holding up better than that but I'm surprised the single is maintaining an adequate position.

I really don't know why I even bother replying to you - but last Monday she sold 21,000. It's hardly a huge decline.

Except last Monday was one day's sales, this week it's two.

Last Monday had weeks of pre-orders and also the fanbase effect of exaggerated first-day sales.

You must be absolutely gutted that it hasn't plummeted down the charts.

Can we have Queen Bitch removed from this forum?..............i've read enough.

She/he/it isn't a fan.......please put it out of it's misery............their is nothing funny or smart about anything it writes (although in it's head it things it's FUCKING fantastic)

an annoyance.....GET RID OF IT!

Looks likely that Madonna's sales for the week will be around 50k.

Think she will catch Paramore by the week end as their sales are likely to be frontloaded. Never heard of Paramore though so hard to gauge their appeal.

It would be great if she could retain the number 1 position...not sure why QB thinks number 2 is "piss poor", sales are what matter, regardless of the position. 50k in September for any album in its second week is great, esp' considering the depressed state of the market.

...not sure why QB thinks number 2 is "piss poor", sales are what matter, regardless of the position. 50k in September for any album in its second week is great, esp' considering the depressed state of the market.

Queen Bitch has been handed his/her/its butt so many times in these boards it is only natural he/she/it has gone off the deep end! :lmao:

Who the hell is Paramore? Never heard of them before at all!!

Kinda gutted she dipped a place but still, i'm thankful she even got to #1 in the first place! I hope she can catch up by the end of the week but nevertheless, i'll be happy with #2 and over 50k sold :)

Who the hell is Paramore? Never heard of them before at all!!

Kinda gutted she dipped a place but still, i'm thankful she even got to #1 in the first place! I hope she can catch up by the end of the week but nevertheless, i'll be happy with #2 and over 50k sold :)

true, right now is all about the sales and th staying power until chirstmas.Although she could do something to help...

true, right now is all about the sales and th staying power until chirstmas.Although she could do something to help...

Well at least there seems to be TV ads and good promo within the stores.

Remember when Jacko had those statues strategically placed around the world to advertise HIStory. Perhaps Warners could do the same. The naked hitchiking pose from Sex or the image of her on the cross from the Confessions Tour would be SURE to garner media attention. Or to save money they could use giant blow up dolls, well that is what her face is beginning to resemble now anyway - :p

...maybe they should stick with TV ads and TV promo instead.

Guest denisebella

Today’s mids:

NEW 1 31,148 BRAND NEW EYES PARAMORE

1 2 24,423 CELEBRATION MADONNA

NEW 3 15,224 REBUILT BY HUMANS NEWTON FAULKNER

And still at 12 in the singles. Gap with Paramore has dropped slightly.

Woooo good sales!

Today’s mids:

NEW 1 31,148 BRAND NEW EYES PARAMORE

1 2 24,423 CELEBRATION MADONNA

NEW 3 15,224 REBUILT BY HUMANS NEWTON FAULKNER

And still at 12 in the singles. Gap with Paramore has dropped slightly.

Good daily sales for Madonna then, though only slightly outsold Paramore. Looks like they too have legs, though I still haven't the foggiest who they are and their appeal.

At this rate she will sell around 60k by close of play Saturday, which is fantastic for week 2.