Why didn´t she mention Steven Bray during her R&R Hall of Fame speech???

promise to try

are you kidding? he and her made that demo tape that got her signed.

stay 81

dont you know

laugh to keep from crying

crimes of passion

sidewalk talk - original production

gambler - original demo

angel

over and over

pretender

stay

into the groove - first commercial production on her own

papa dont preach (production)

true blue

wheres the party

jimmy jimmy

causing a commotion

cant stop

express yourself

keep it together

steve bray is everything. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::inlove:

I think she despises her early work since she has no dire need to perform anything from or talk about that era....Pre 90's & On........Hence no inclusion of bray.

as she put it in an MTV interview during the "American Life" promo, she has evolved to a "better version of herself"....musically and personally.......

Guest Pud Whacker

I think she despises her early work since she has no dire need to perform anything from or talk about that era....Pre 90's & On........Hence no inclusion of bray.

as she put it in an MTV interview during the "American Life" promo, she has evolved to a "better version of herself"....musically and personally.......

she mentioned nile rodgers.

• 2 years later...

Interesting! I never knew she DID make royalties off of this.

On a side note I remember my Mom being all huffy puffy about having to call that 1-800-HARMONY and wait on the line to order this for me. :lol:

Interesting! I never knew she DID make royalties off of this.

On a side note I remember my Mom being all huffy puffy about having to call that 1-800-HARMONY and wait on the line to order this for me. :lol:

Hmm... that is really curious, because that video that Hector posted does say at the end that you can't get it in stores... But I bought those recordings on a CD in -- oh, I'd say 1998 or early 1999... But it *was* in a store. Not "Pre-Madonna" but some CD called "In the Beginning" -- but it's definitely the same songs, with the liner notes from Bray. The artwork is just different -- it's got a photo of a statue of a female angel figure hovering against a NYC cityscape... Let's see if this works:

21BD3PD8ZRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Strange that I could buy this in a store, though...

Guest Pud Whacker

Hmm... that is really curious, because that video that Hector posted does say at the end that you can't get it in stores... But I bought those recordings on a CD in -- oh, I'd say 1998 or early 1999... But it *was* in a store. Not "Pre-Madonna" but some CD called "In the Beginning" -- but it's definitely the same songs, with the liner notes from Bray. The artwork is just different -- it's got a photo of a statue of a female angel figure hovering against a NYC cityscape... Let's see if this works:

21BD3PD8ZRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Strange that I could buy this in a store, though...

in 1996 it was only internet or the HARMONY number - then it was released as that. xo

Guest bluejean

I think it was rude of him to release those songs. He would make far more money from royalties of the songs they did that were hits anyway so it was really just a finger up to her.

Considering she even mentioned Babyface, I bet she left those people off on purpose since they happen to be the 2 that screwed her over.

• 3 years later...

Regards the original thread question - unsurprisingly - I don't know the answer.

Should he have been mentioned? Me says YES: he co-created the CONTENT that got her the initial Sire singles record deal. And of course he and M also created a host of other timeless Madonna musical gems before and after that historic event… :-)

I know that, but…. after almost six years, the weight of not answering this thread-question just become to much for me! :nervous::blush:

Madonna-cute-gif-madonna-31319270-360-24

(Edit to change emoticon, because I got this angry red one :tongue: instead of this happy playful version :tongue: )

Edited by tumbleweedt

oh, i read the whole thread again. So much information, what a nice thread. So many things have happened since then!

I would LOVE to listen to the original ROL produced by Madonna and Patrick Leonard, it would be so great to hear the differences, maybe some songs changed a lot! Maybe others sound better than we think!

oh, and here's the letter to Leonard. It's clear that in 2008 wasn't online. Now it's everywhere.

http://poetry.rapgenius.com/Madonna-letter-to-pat-leonard-annotated

oh, i read the whole thread again. So much information, what a nice thread. So many things have happened since then!

I would LOVE to listen to the original ROL produced by Madonna and Patrick Leonard, it would be so great to hear the differences, maybe some songs changed a lot! Maybe others sound better than we think!

oh, and here's the letter to Leonard. It's clear that in 2008 wasn't online. Now it's everywhere.

http://poetry.rapgenius.com/Madonna-letter-to-pat-leonard-annotated

she's worked with a lot of peeps. seems like an easy mistake.

I think that makes it fairly obvious why he got a production credit. They probably used some of his programming and rough vocals. I think it's funny that she talks about having made so many records and needing something make her blood boil again. I wish she would feel that way again.

TAB is soooo not Madonna's most successful song to date...radio played the sh*t out of it but that was it,its sales weren't that impressive...
Songs like Like a Vrigin,Like a Prayer,Vogue and i would even say Music were much bigger hits than TAB.

TAB is one of her biggest hits in the U.S. Not just because it's spent more weeks at #1, but because it's STILL one of her most played songs. It's up there with "Like a Prayer" and "Into the Groove." I heard it just the other night. You also have to realize that sales for BS were very good during TAB's run, which accounts for why singles sales might not have been as big as expected. It also didn't have club remixes to spike sales among fans.

TAB tanked in her biggest market, the UK so it cannot be rank alongside LAV, even though it DESERVES to be.

In what way is the U.K. her biggest market? It's a fraction of the size of the U.S., for one.