"4 Minutes" on the Billboard Charts

thebigham

The airplay thing is so stupid. Do they take into account the people who change station when some of that crap listed above comes on?

Sales are genuine and represent what is popular, airplay should be less relevant.

The airplay thing is so stupid. Do they take into account the people who change station when some of that crap listed above comes on?

Sales are genuine and represent what is popular, airplay should be less relevant.

sometimes I wish there is no more HOT 100... a separate sales 100 and airplay 100 will suffice...

no more problem of how to mix them up by percentage or whatever...

Guest Bad Robot

Separate sales and airplay charts already exist!

*broken record*

If you don't like the Hot 100, ignore it, and just look at sales. Sigh.

The top 7 in sales match the top 7 on the Hot 100, just rearranged a bit.

It's also interesting that Madonna is the only one in that list who isn't top 10 airplay.

Anyways, all this talk about the fairness of charts seems pointless. The majority of people probably don't even know or care who is on top. At the end of the day, Billboard is a publication primarily used by the industry as a gauge. The bottomline though is still money. Clearly, WB and Madonna must be laughing all the way to the bank with the digital sales and lucrative product tie-ins that this single has generated.

Separate sales and airplay charts already exist!

i know it already exists... sometimes I wish there shoulbn't be any mixed-up airplay and sales, called the HOT100...

which they change a lot lately..

Guest ercos

as predicted, TMB remains at #1 and sadly, its true that M remains at #3. we were hoping to have a jump to at least #2

but hey, 4M has its first #1 and Hot100 #1 is a big possibility next week!!!

4/19 Billboard charts:

Hot 100: 4M holds at #3 for a 2nd week.

Hot 100 Airplay: 4M climbs from #41 to #30.

Hot Singles Sales: Jump re-enters at #25, 36 weeks on.

Pop 100: 4M climbs from #3 to #2

Pop 100 Airplay: 4M climbs from #15 to #12.

Hot Dance Airplay: 4M climbs from #5 to #4.

Hot Dance Singles Sales: Jump re-enters at #5, 42 weeks on.

Rhythmic Top 40: 4M debuts at #39.

Guest tir69
Can someone fill this in? I can't access Billboard.biz to get the charts.

4/19 chart:

Hot 100: 4M holds at #3 for a 2nd week.

Hot 100 Airplay: 4M climbs from # to #

Pop 100: 4M climbs from # to #3

Pop 100 Airplay: 4M climbs from # to #

Hot Dance Airplay: 4M holds at #

Pop 100 : 4M nr 2

looks like it may be like this next week:

1. Bleeding Love

2. No Air

3. Lollipop

4. 4 Minutes

5. Touch My Body

6. Love In This Club

2-6 will be very close once again...

looks like it may be like this next week:

1. Bleeding Love

2. No Air

3. Lollipop

4. 4 Minutes

5. Touch My Body

6. Love In This Club

2-6 will be very close once again...

She might go down this week, but next she'll go up...Bleeding Love is going down on sales...and 4 minutes still shows no sign of slowing down :thumbsup:

Guest iMisto
She might go down this week, but next she'll go up...Bleeding Love is going down on sales...and 4 minutes still shows no sign of slowing down :thumbsup:

I hope you're right.

Just an FYI. As far as I know, songwriters and whoever owns the publishing of radio songs, get paid every time the song is played on radio. I remember Sting talking about the money he makes from Every Breath You Take every year because of radio play alone. Singers probably get a very small fee also, I'm not sure. Some may have special clauses in their contracts.

Just an FYI. As far as I know, songwriters and whoever owns the publishing of radio songs, get paid every time the song is played on radio. I remember Sting talking about the money he makes from Every Breath You Take every year because of radio play alone. Singers probably get a very small fee also, I'm not sure. Some may have special clauses in their contracts.

Artists receive absolutely nothing for airplay - not a cent. As you said, though, songwriters and publishers receive payment every single time a song is played on radio, TV or in a club, at a sporting event etc. That's why someone like Madonna makes a hell of a lot more money from their music than someone like Whitney Houston. Artists only receive money for hard sales. When Billboard allowed airplay only tracks to chart on the Hot 100, labels stopped release physical singles, so artists started earning less money. A massive airplay hit like "Torn" (Natalie Imbruglia) didn't earn a cent for the artist, but it drove album sales, which is where her income came from. Needless to say, artists are extremely grateful that digital sales have taken off, because they can start earning some money again from singles!

Guest iMisto
Artists receive absolutely nothing for airplay - not a cent. As you said, though, songwriters and publishers receive payment every single time a song is played on radio, TV or in a club, at a sporting event etc. That's why someone like Madonna makes a hell of a lot more money from their music than someone like Whitney Houston. Artists only receive money for hard sales. When Billboard allowed airplay only tracks to chart on the Hot 100, labels stopped release physical singles, so artists started earning less money. A massive airplay hit like "Torn" (Natalie Imbruglia) didn't earn a cent for the artist, but it drove album sales, which is where her income came from. Needless to say, artists are extremely grateful that digital sales have taken off, because they can start earning some money again from singles!

Since Madonna writes some of her own stuff... does she see anything?? lol

Oh, Impressive, you're avatar is adorable!

Guest iMisto
aww thanks! hey imisto, you should check out this youtube tribute

to 'Hung Up' called 'Smoke Up' this shit will have you rolling on the floor LOL

:rotfl: :rotfl: omg, I have to show my bf!!!! lol

Since Madonna writes some of her own stuff... does she see anything?? lol

Madonna co-writes just about everything she releases, so every time one of her co-written singles is played on the radio, she is paid for it (unlike, say, Whitney Houston, who gets nothing at all for airplay on most of her singles, since from memory, she's only had a hand in writing maybe one or two of them in her entire career). The only people who are paid when a song is given airplay are the writers of the song and the publishing company.

Anyone know Jump's total numbers in sales? Probably won't hit Gold anytime soon...

No, GOLD certification for "Jump" is a long ways off. On the Jan. 26, 2008 Billboard chart, it had Soundscanned around 98,175 copies. I am not sure if that was JUST digital downloads or downloads + physical copies. Either way though, it's probably not much more than that amount considering the physical singles market in the U.S.

Guest Bad Robot
No, GOLD certification for "Jump" is a long ways off. On the Jan. 26, 2008 Billboard chart, it had Soundscanned around 98,175 copies. I am not sure if that was JUST digital downloads or downloads + physical copies. Either way though, it's probably not much more than that amount considering the physical singles market in the U.S.

It's more than "a long ways off" -- Jump will not ever be certified Gold.

It seems like single certifications have lost their significance. I hardly hear that discussed anymore.

Guest iMisto
Madonna co-writes just about everything she releases, so every time one of her co-written singles is played on the radio, she is paid for it (unlike, say, Whitney Houston, who gets nothing at all for airplay on most of her singles, since from memory, she's only had a hand in writing maybe one or two of them in her entire career). The only people who are paid when a song is given airplay are the writers of the song and the publishing company.

Well, that's cool! :D

I bet Dolly Parton is so fucking happy she let Whitney redo her song! ahahaha! That bitch probably made more $$ off Whitney, than she made herself!

It seems like single certifications have lost their significance. I hardly hear that discussed anymore.

that's sad. maybe they'll start certifying for 50,000 physical singles sold and call them "Copper or Tin

Certifcations" LOL

Labels don't seem to be too interested in certifying digital singles. However, in February, over 30 singles were certified.

Here are the latest certs:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/riaa/singles.jsp

Guest iMisto
that's sad. maybe they'll start certifying for 50,000 physical singles sold and call them "Copper or Tin

Certifcations" LOL

:lmao:

bks at Pulse:

Here's how the same 7 songs look on the streaming chart w/ 1 day left:

No. 1 - Mariah

No. 2 - Leona

No. 4 - Madonna (biggest gainer)

No. 6 - Jordin

No. 11 - Ray J

No. 12 - Usher

No. 15 - Lil Wayne