Jump to content
MadonnaNation.com Forums

J.K. Rowling Faces Criticism for Transgender Comment


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Kim said:

I doubt it, there are easier ways of doing that than posting essays and videos of transphobic crap (which have been replaced with (dog) whistles)

alright, I had only seen the "whistle" re-posts on this page. my bad!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Nikki said:

alright, I had only seen the "whistle" re-posts on this page. my bad!

Yeah i probably should have added the "edited by" line on those posts, but he's gone now anyway - nasty little bigot.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This should please some people... (and if you read deeper, it seems they're gonna roll back on existing protections as well) Good old Tories...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Kim said:

This should please some people... (and if you read deeper, it seems they're gonna roll back on existing protections as well) Good old Tories...

 

:rotfl:

Why oh why they always underestimate the population? When it comes to LGTB rights the population is always ready and waiting to justify their love. It's the absurd elites out of touch with reality the ones living in XX century.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, karbatal said:

:rotfl:

Why oh why they always underestimate the population? When it comes to LGTB rights the population is always ready and waiting to justify their love. It's the absurd elites out of touch with reality the ones living in XX century.

They're claiming the consultation was skewered by mass participation from pro trans groups - which could be said for the other side too (which is even more vociferous) or for any consultation in fact.

The whole thing is ridiculous anyway. Are they gonna have wardens patrolling public spaces checking genitals to see what toilet door you can use? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, eroticerotic said:

 

very interesting video. Sadly it doesn't include the fact of WTF is JK spotting differences and focusing on biological sex. What's her point? Sorry but this video, being very interesting and showing a side that I love to hear, misses that point completely: this is not JK commenting that as a response of something. This is JK bringing back this issue again and again with no reason. Except a very obvious one. 

This beautiful Youtuber has forgotten or maybe doesn't even know what happened in 2018. Those LGBT defending trans do remember: 

JK Rowling comes under fire for liking tweet calling trans women ‘men in dresses’

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a person who has worked with words for 20 years. I know the power of words. JK is a very bright s and intelligent storyteller who is a word magician. And those tweets the Youtuber have commented are beautifully crafted to get precisely that reaction but hide the real meaning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, karbatal said:

In case any other YouTuber has still a doubt :rotfl:

 

She also unfollowed him 🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites

She's literally going downhill! 

It was so easy being cool in the early.00s for these people. And now they're discovering they were simply living in a bubble. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ThomasW said:

she wanted to be one

There seems to be something there, no? Something personal? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ULIZOS said:

There seems to be something there, no? Something personal? 

I think so too, now for real , I think she's got more serious issues and that's why she's being an asshole about the whole thing, she possibly is very attracted to them too or yes it may very well be she's envious in a way, or something else we won't ever know

Link to post
Share on other sites

Many feminists in Spain are going that route. A couple of months ago the Feminist Party was expelled from the left party Izquierda Unida because of their comments on trans. And last week, the president of that Feminist Party, a historical figure on feminism, wrote a column in a right wing newspaper and was retweeted and applauded by the far right. It was HIGHLY embarrassing. 
 

I'm not blaming feminists, mind. Many many feminists are not agreeing. It's not even something about age. It's simply TRANSPHOBIA.

Just today Stephen King was trending and you had to swim among the amount of tweets applauding Rowling in Spain written by self called feminists. 

Thank God other women and the big LGTB community, along K-pop fans, called them out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://ew.com/books/harry-potter-fan-sites-jk-rowling-trans-stance/ 

Harry Potter fan sites condemn J.K. Rowling's trans stance, announce changes

By James Hibberd

July 02, 2020 at 03:47 PM EDT

Major fan communities will be approaching their coverage of the author differently moving forward.

 

J.K. Rowling
 

Two of the biggest Harry Potter fan communities have united to release an open letter criticizing saga creator J.K. Rowling and announcing changes to how they will cover the author in the future.

In an unusual move, MuggleNet and the Leaky Cauldron posted similar joint statements about the fantasy author's controversial stance on transgender issues.

"As this fandom enters its third decade, J.K. Rowling has chosen this time to loudly pronounce harmful and disproven beliefs about what it means to be a transgender person," reads the statement. "In addition to the distaste we feel for her choice to publish these statements during Pride Month—as well as during a global reckoning on racial injustice—we find the use of her influence and privilege to target marginalized people to be out of step with the message of acceptance and empowerment we find in her books and celebrated by the Harry Potter community. Although it is difficult to speak out against someone whose work we have so long admired, it would be wrong not to use our platforms to counteract the harm she has caused. Our stance is firm: Transgender women are women. Transgender men are men. Non-binary people are non-binary. Intersex people exist and should not be forced to live in the binary. We stand with Harry Potter fans in these communities, and while we don’t condone the mistreatment JKR has received for airing her opinions about transgender people, we must reject her beliefs."

The sites also announced they would refer to the author as #JKR on Twitter so fans can mute the hashtag and avoid seeing posts about Rowling from now on. The sites will also no longer cover aspects of Rowling's personal life, such as the author winning awards, her charitable donations, or her tweets unrelated to the franchise, as well as "her political commentary or opinions." The sites will also no longer host purchase links to Rowling's work beyond the Wizarding World or cover her other content. Rowling's name has likewise been removed from the sites' navigation menus. MuggleNet also noted they will no longer host "fan art, memes, photos, or other images with J.K. Rowling’s likeness."

Many members of the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts franchise casts have also issued statements disagreeing with Rowling, including stars Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Eddie Redmayne. "Transgender women are women," Radcliffe wrote. "Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I."

In June, Rowling posted a 3,800-word essay doubling down on her feelings regarding trans issues and saying she has been the victim of online abuse by activists. "I refuse to bow down to a movement that I believe is doing demonstrable harm in seeking to erode ‘woman’ as a political and biological class and offering cover to predators like few before it," Rowling wrote. "I stand alongside the brave women and men, gay, straight and trans, who’re standing up for freedom of speech and thought, and for the rights and safety of some of the most vulnerable in our society: young gay kids, fragile teenagers, and women who’re reliant on and wish to retain their single-sex spaces ...All I’m asking – all I want – is for similar empathy, similar understanding, to be extended to the many millions of women whose sole crime is wanting their concerns to be heard without receiving threats and abuse."

GLAAD issued a statement in reaction noting, "Rowling's beliefs are not based in fact or science, as trans advocate Brynn Tannehill outlines in her Medium article addressing 'the inaccuracies, omissions, and logical errors' in the author's essay. When Rowling chose to make her anti-trans bigotry public, during Pride Month and the current cultural reckoning with racial injustice, LGBTQ fans and their allies spoke up loudly to share their disappointment and hurt, as the two-decade-old Harry Potter series has created a diverse fanbase where many people have found community, acceptance, and a platform for advocacy."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Her history of being abused and assaulted are totally separate issue and she shouldn't use that as an excuse not to give Trans women their right to live their lives as women .

She can advocate for safety of women and safety of trans women at the same time but she's just a rich and stupid bigot .

I also think it's a sign that she's not all there in her head .

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Junior said:

https://ew.com/books/harry-potter-fan-sites-jk-rowling-trans-stance/ 

Harry Potter fan sites condemn J.K. Rowling's trans stance, announce changes

By James Hibberd

July 02, 2020 at 03:47 PM EDT

Major fan communities will be approaching their coverage of the author differently moving forward.

 

J.K. Rowling
 

Two of the biggest Harry Potter fan communities have united to release an open letter criticizing saga creator J.K. Rowling and announcing changes to how they will cover the author in the future.

In an unusual move, MuggleNet and the Leaky Cauldron posted similar joint statements about the fantasy author's controversial stance on transgender issues.

"As this fandom enters its third decade, J.K. Rowling has chosen this time to loudly pronounce harmful and disproven beliefs about what it means to be a transgender person," reads the statement. "In addition to the distaste we feel for her choice to publish these statements during Pride Month—as well as during a global reckoning on racial injustice—we find the use of her influence and privilege to target marginalized people to be out of step with the message of acceptance and empowerment we find in her books and celebrated by the Harry Potter community. Although it is difficult to speak out against someone whose work we have so long admired, it would be wrong not to use our platforms to counteract the harm she has caused. Our stance is firm: Transgender women are women. Transgender men are men. Non-binary people are non-binary. Intersex people exist and should not be forced to live in the binary. We stand with Harry Potter fans in these communities, and while we don’t condone the mistreatment JKR has received for airing her opinions about transgender people, we must reject her beliefs."

The sites also announced they would refer to the author as #JKR on Twitter so fans can mute the hashtag and avoid seeing posts about Rowling from now on. The sites will also no longer cover aspects of Rowling's personal life, such as the author winning awards, her charitable donations, or her tweets unrelated to the franchise, as well as "her political commentary or opinions." The sites will also no longer host purchase links to Rowling's work beyond the Wizarding World or cover her other content. Rowling's name has likewise been removed from the sites' navigation menus. MuggleNet also noted they will no longer host "fan art, memes, photos, or other images with J.K. Rowling’s likeness."

Many members of the Harry Potter and Fantastic Beasts franchise casts have also issued statements disagreeing with Rowling, including stars Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, and Eddie Redmayne. "Transgender women are women," Radcliffe wrote. "Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I."

In June, Rowling posted a 3,800-word essay doubling down on her feelings regarding trans issues and saying she has been the victim of online abuse by activists. "I refuse to bow down to a movement that I believe is doing demonstrable harm in seeking to erode ‘woman’ as a political and biological class and offering cover to predators like few before it," Rowling wrote. "I stand alongside the brave women and men, gay, straight and trans, who’re standing up for freedom of speech and thought, and for the rights and safety of some of the most vulnerable in our society: young gay kids, fragile teenagers, and women who’re reliant on and wish to retain their single-sex spaces ...All I’m asking – all I want – is for similar empathy, similar understanding, to be extended to the many millions of women whose sole crime is wanting their concerns to be heard without receiving threats and abuse."

GLAAD issued a statement in reaction noting, "Rowling's beliefs are not based in fact or science, as trans advocate Brynn Tannehill outlines in her Medium article addressing 'the inaccuracies, omissions, and logical errors' in the author's essay. When Rowling chose to make her anti-trans bigotry public, during Pride Month and the current cultural reckoning with racial injustice, LGBTQ fans and their allies spoke up loudly to share their disappointment and hurt, as the two-decade-old Harry Potter series has created a diverse fanbase where many people have found community, acceptance, and a platform for advocacy."

What a wonderful statement! :clap:

Link to post
Share on other sites

There does seem to be something personal going on here. One comment is one thing but she is really digging into this with repeated comments. She keeps fanning the flames and that apology made no sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Meanwhile she's published books under a male pseudonym and even her initials were purposely used to be gender neutral. :chuckle:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is a perfect opportunity to, instead of writing messages, to sit in person with an  intersectional group of women, and talk in person.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, eroticerotic said:

I think this is a perfect opportunity to, instead of writing messages, to sit in person with an  intersectional group of women, and talk in person.

Yes! She's obviously ignorant on the subject. Why not sit in a room with a wide assortment of self-identified women and actually fucking learn something? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

Yes! She's obviously ignorant on the subject. Why not sit in a room with a wide assortment of self-identified women and actually fucking learn something? 

Groups have made overtures to her over the past 7 months, she's turned them all down. She wants an echo chamber, not a dialogue. Even her "idol" Stephen King gets instantly banished for daring to disagree (and not even to her directly...to somebody else, but she became aware that he held the Wrong Opinion and brought the hammer down). Her use of canned "free speech" "I'm being silenced!" language rings very hollow when her stance is clearly "Agree with everything I say or begone forever."

Link to post
Share on other sites

She’s getting more annoying on Twitter today. Is this the hill she wants to die on? WTF happened to her? Doesn’t she have anything better to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, frzndrwnwrld said:

She refuses to shut the fuck up. Did she really need to bring up conversion therapy? Really?

"J.K. Rowling issues another statement about her stance on transgender rights" https://twitter.com/i/events/1279804858351013889


I think she forgot that CONVERSION THERAPY is usually forced upon someone. Nobody is making anyone transition :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...