Stage for Madonna's show in Marseilles collapses, two dead

Guest ursaminorjim

Tonight during her concert in Udine just before "You Must Love Me" Madonna in tears said a few words about the tragedy that occured in Marseille this afternoon:

"Before I continue the show I want to take a moment to acknowledge and pay tribute to two people who lost their lives today. I don't know if you've heard. Two men building my show in Marseille where we're going next - the crane fell and we don't know why. (Madonna names them). I hate to be associated with suffering. I want to pay tribute to their families. Lets take a moment to appreciate our family, loved ones, friends around us".

Madonna cried throughout ''You Must Love Me'' and before "Ray of Light' she once again paid tribute to the two men saying "Let's give it up for the two Charlies".

Low quality but with sound...

She was pretty torn up. It seems weird the crowd would clap after she announced the deaths. I mean, I understand what they meant, but it comes across weird: "Two men lost their lives today..." (CLAP CLAP CLAP) :confused:

Guest Madximo
Low quality but with sound...

She was pretty torn up. It seems weird the crowd would clap after she announced the deaths. I mean, I understand what they meant, but it comes across weird: "Two men lost their lives today..." (CLAP CLAP CLAP) :confused:

As I said in another thread, it may sound strange but there are a couple of reason for people clapping there: they either didn't understand a word or they clapped as it now happens in Italy at public funerals (which is a disgraceful habit which has taken over in Italy - I find it disrespectful, but people now clap also at the funerals of dead soldiers - believe it or not)!

See what happens here at 3:10 (Pavarotti's funeral):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9RskEin5sc...feature=channel

Madonna stage accident kills two

A second person has died following the collapse of a stage being constructed for a Madonna concert in France.

Charles Prow, a 23-year-old from Headingley in Leeds, died overnight at a hospital in Marseilles.

Technicians had been setting up the stage at the city's Velodrome stadium when the partially-built roof fell in on Thursday, bringing down a crane.

Madonna said she was "devastated" by the news. Her concert, planned for Sunday, has been cancelled.

Charles Criscenzo, a 53-year-old French worker, was killed outright in the accident, which took place at around 1715 (1515 GMT).

Eight other people were seriously hurt, including an American who was hospitalised in a life-threatening condition.

More than 30 people suffered minor injuries and shock, according to authorities.

'Shaking and collapsing'

The 60,000-seater Velodrome is France's second-biggest sports arena and home to the Olympique de Marseille football club.

Fire-fighters said the accident occurred when the roof of the stage became unbalanced as it was being lifted by four cranes, toppling one of them.

About 50 people from a range of nationalities were working to set up the structure, city sports official Richard Miron said.

The roof "started shaking and collapsing" gradually, said Marseilles city councillor Maurice Di Nocera.

"Since it did not collapse right away that allowed several people to get out," he said.

Madonna, who is performing on her Sticky and Sweet tour, was in Udine, Italy, when she was told of the incident.

"I am devastated to have just received this tragic news," she said in a statement released by Live Nation, the organisers of the concert.

"My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families, along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news."

Mr Prow's family have contacted the BBC, saying he was "a much-loved son, grandson, brother, uncle and friend".

'Great tragedy'

"Charles was a happy-go-lucky guy with a big personality and he will be deeply missed," said a representative.

Footage posted online shows Madonna making an emotional tribute to the technicians at her concert in Italy on Thursday.

"I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge and pay tribute to two people who lost their lives today," she told fans at the Fruili Stadium in Udine.

"It's a great tragedy to me," she continued, choking back tears. "I feel so devastated to be in any way associated with anyone's suffering.

"Let's all just take a moment to say a prayer for Charles Criscenzo and Charlie Prow. Our hearts go out to their family and loved ones."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:(

Madonna's a bitch, she's all business, she's calculating, blah, blah, but really, I think that she truly has become more human through the years. Though we can't know for sure, I think that the fact that people died doing things related to her career must weigh heavy on her mind, like she's in a way responsible.

Madonna's a bitch, she's all business, she's calculating, blah, blah, but really, I think that she truly has become more human through the years. Though we can't know for sure, I think that the fact that people died doing things related to her career must weigh heavy on her mind, like she's in a way responsible.

The idea that Madonna somehow is void of human emotion is getting real old,what is even more disturbing is that even her own fans buy into this assumption. I think M has revealed time and time again how sensitive she is,listen to her music for christ sake. Oh I'm sorry too busy hating on the cheeks etc to listen to the music.... :thumbsdown:

guyoseary@ We are still trying to get all the details on the tragedy in Marseilles.. the Udine show was an emotional one.. lots of tears backstage..

The families will most likely sue LiveNation and Madonna

Madonna Stage Collapse in France Claims a Second Victim

7/17/09, 9:03 am EST

A 32-year-old British man has died after suffering injuries due to the collapse of a stage being constructed for a Madonna concert in Marseilles, France, CNN reports. As Rock Daily reported yesterday, a 53-year old French man also died when a crane collapsed at the Stade Velodrome. One American remains in critical condition. Two other victims required surgery and seven others were treated and released when the roof of the stage caved in as four cranes were raising it. The Marseilles concert, scheduled for Sunday, July 19th, was canceled.

Madonna was in Udine, Italy yesterday at the time of the accident, rehearsing for her last night’s concert at Fruili Stadium. During the Udine show, Madonna paid tribute to both victims of the accident prior to performing a tearful rendition of “You Must Love Me,” telling the audience, “Before I continue the show I want to take a moment to acknowledge and pay tribute to two people who lost their lives today. I don’t know if you’ve heard. Two men building my show in Marseille where we’re going next — the crane fell and we don’t know why. I hate to be associated with suffering. I want to pay tribute to their families. Let’s take a moment to appreciate our family, loved ones, friends around us.” According to fansite AllAboutMadonna, the singer also said, “Let’s give it up for the two Charlies” before performing “Ray of Light,” alluding to the fallen crewmembers.

“My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news,” Madonna said in a statement following the incident. Roughly 27 fire engines and 80 firefighters were called to the Stade Velodrome after the accident occurred at 5:15 p.m. local time. No word yet how this tragedy will affect other dates of Madonna’s Sticky & Sweet Tour.

The families will most likely sue LiveNation and Madonna

Madonna & LN didn't own the crane and they were not the one who operated the malfunctioned crane.

I don't under how they can sue them. Maybe they can if it happened in US.

Its so heartbreaking to see Madonna cry like that and for the situation itself! 2 men, only 23 and 53? Thats no age to go at, both young still. So very upsetting.

Madonna & LN didn't own the crane and they were not the one who operated the malfunctioned crane.

I don't under how they can sue them. Maybe they can if it happened in US.

Even if they don't have a strong case, I wouldn't be surprise at all if a settlement is reached with LN and Madonna. If anything, out of sympathy for their losses.

OMG that's awful!!

what will happen now?

this is a fun tour so how will she continue it with this sad news?

be strong Madonna

well, the fact remains, if this sticky and sweet tour ended in 2008 as it was ..without an extension,

then this never wouldve happened.

But that is hign-sight. 20/20 vision, she and anyone else wouldve never imagined this happening.

so tragic.

I have a strong feeling that this incident may impact Madonna deeply from this day forward.

I mean impact, as in, the difference in her might reflect in her work. i dont know, just a feeling im

getting.

I have a strong feeling that this incident may impact Madonna deeply from this day forward.

I mean impact, as in, the difference in her might reflect in her work. i dont know, just a feeling im

getting.

absolutely....the woman will never be the same again. i think this will be the end of the madonna we know.