Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Guest harbors
12/13 charts:

184 RE-ENTRY MADONNA HARD CANDY 5,136 +45%3,539 682,150 (Gold)

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

In light of everything, the album wasn't quite a disaster in the US. (Given that only 18 albums this year have cracked over 1 M sales, and barely so for most of them) :fag:

She performed HU when it wasn't even eligible that year, but I can't see her performing at this one (especially with such minor nominations).

Plus, HC should be long gone from being close to the BB 200 at that time. Especially if there's no broadcast of S&S.

Guest WordsTheyAlwaysAttack

if she was smart now she would release the beat goes on as the final single, kanye west is hot right now and it's perfect

There are 4 sales weeks left in the year- with a little less than 18K needed to break 700K, it probably will happen in the new year (as sales will decline next week, and so on, likely increasing again closer to Christmas).

There are 4 sales weeks left in the year- with a little less than 18K needed to break 700K, it probably will happen in the new year (as sales will decline next week, and so on, likely increasing again closer to Christmas).

I am going to guess it won't pass 700,000 until well into January. However, it's nice to see it has gone well beyond American Life and might one day get a platinum certification. Of course, if WB releases a new Greatest Hits next year, I suppose we can expect it to contain "4 Minutes" and thus cannibalize the sales from this album.

if WB releases a new Greatest Hits next year, I suppose we can expect it to contain "4 Minutes" and thus cannibalize the sales from this album.

yesso the only possible "reason" to buy HC will be to see the songs on the dvd and like them, but, again, only the fans buy the concerts

I am going to guess it won't pass 700,000 until well into January. However, it's nice to see it has gone well beyond American Life and might one day get a platinum certification. Of course, if WB releases a new Greatest Hits next year, I suppose we can expect it to contain "4 Minutes" and thus cannibalize the sales from this album.

Although from a financial point of view, it wouldn't make much sense for WB to release it unless they think HC has pretty much run its course (as it very well could have). I imagine late 2009 release would make much more sense to capitalize on holiday sales, especially for Greatest Hits compilations.

promo, packaging, timing, did they secure a new song to release at the same time, digital availability (itunes and mp3 - drm free) with video/without, will they allow it on sony blue-ray...madonna is saturated in the us market - they need to make this a must have - and by next christmas, digital will be even more important, and warner is not on the cusp of that trend...

also - she needs to not get lost among other releases - the beatles have been putting off digital/itunes release for the last 4 christmas seasons - if they release next christmas, they will be huge...

promo is whats needed and warner is not at the top of that game

A Beatles digital onslaught will not affect a Madonna compilation, as that unlikely will not score highly in the digital realm (with all her tracks having been available digitally since 2005). GH albums struggle enough these days, they would get the bulk of their sales from the physical realm even moreso than regular album releases, I'd think.

Guest nothingfails0603

well, 30 weeks is respectable, only 7 less than COADF. The album has been "dead" since around June (when 4M's airplay began to taper off and sales plummetted) yet it managed to hang around 30 weeks, more than double AL, which is the album people have been likening this to.

Bitch needs to pull a mimi i.e. re-release and add some rubbish to the new edition. :dramatic:

For as money-grubbing as everyone claims Madonna is, she has surprisingly resisted that marketing tactic. Which is more than I can say for Rihanna, Mariah, Coldplay, Usher, etc.

Madonna seems too eager to wash her hands off Warner Bros. I highly doubt she could be arsed to record new songs for a re-release.

By now the entire industry realizes that the real money is in touring. I'd rather have Madonna put her creative energy into her live shows. Madonna is at her best when performing and NO ONE ELSE can touch her. That being said, I wish she would go back to making kick ass videos instead the crap videos we've been getting lately ("4 Minutes" being one exception). One can only wonder what David Fincher, Mary Lambert or Chris Cunningham could have done with "Jump", "Get Together", "Love Profusion" and countless others. But I digress. I can't wait for her to kick off the next incarnation of her career with Live Nation.