Hard Candy SoundScan/Billboard 200 Discussion

thebigham

Guest boytoyville

You can see that the album is benifiting mostly from the stadium concerts. A lot more people get to see her when she does these and a lot more "casual" fans see her for those concerts and buy up the 165 tickets and lower while all the hardcore fans and rich people get the most expensive ones. Hope she does stadiums next time as well! ::):

True- but, if she played multiple dates in a city, the attendance would be close to a one-stadium-show attendance figure (well, there's always going to be some who would see more than one show, but you get the drift).

On the other hand, I'd agree that doing one large show probably creates more of a buzz and hype, and could impact sales a little more than a few shows at a venue.

I am still arguing that Hard Candy has some decent word of mouth - at least among casual fans. The tour is a big factor too, but even before it impacted State-side, the drop offs weren't nearly as bad as they were with American Life.

But, American Life also was a lot older than Hard Candy was when their respective tours hit. AL was at 700-800/week when re-Invention began more than a year later.

Also, I don't think it's a fact of people warming to the album post-4M- how would they know what's on it, with nothing after 4M getting any airplay? Unless it's a lot of Internet-savvy people checking it out online. Even with that, it's not like HC's sales have ballooned- it's just that it's selling nice and steadily.

Also, I don't think it's a fact of people warming to the album post-4M- how would they know what's on it, with nothing after 4M getting any airplay? Unless it's a lot of Internet-savvy people checking it out online. Even with that, it's not like HC's sales have ballooned- it's just that it's selling nice and steadily.

That's how I was saying the tour was possibly helping, fans disinterested in the album (initially) but still going to the tour and then changing their minds.

Still not sure why HC wasn't bulleted on the 11/22 Billboard 200- overall album sales were up just 3%, and HC gained 11%. Unless volume on the BB 200 was up more than 11%... and, some other titles had big climbs in rank but were't bulleted.

On the 11/29 chart (and overall?), volume probably was up more than 11%- plus, HC dropped 15 spots, so a bullet would have looked odd.

Guest Bad Robot

Thanks for answering my question guys... sorry I've been out of the loop for awhile and haven't really been here. I did some quick poking around before I asked and just didn't see the right threads (or posts, I guess -- when it gets up to 11 pages it gets hard to find a specific piece of info).

But, American Life also was a lot older than Hard Candy was when their respective tours hit. AL was at 700-800/week when re-Invention began more than a year later.

Yeah, but my point was American Life dropped off a lot faster (and saw double digit % drops well into September and October 2003) but Hard Candy's drops have been minimal since August - and that was 6 weeks before the tour even hit Stateside.

Well, people don't watch MTV for the videos anymore, I don't see why it might NOT be online circulation. Even radio's audience is dwindling due to other media outlets. Plus word of mouth isn't necessarily something you can track nor does it typically cause huge upswings in sales - it can create a plateau from a downward drop which is why I was speculating that it might have helped. Again, I am not saying I know that is the reason - for a fact - just a possibility. Mariah's latest dropped off significantly in sales despite decent airplay - I can't think of many reasons why Hard Candy would've been able to keep up until the tour hit unless it was something like word of mouth.

What means bulleted?

It's an indicator on the Billboard 200 which (usually) signifies a significant increase in sales (although I think it can represent the lowest declines too when sales are very low - overall - on the chart). The Billboard 200 online chart shows the indicator by having the chart-ranking number in a colored box. In the print edition of Billboard, it is represented by a circle around the chart-ranking number.

S&S did begin in late August, though- with the Internet and YouTube, it's possible some could have checked it out and then checked outthe album, who knows. So, ina way, the tour in general, not just the North American leg- could have had an impact in keeping it afloat.

Guest jamesshot

I think the commercial featuring 4M was hugely influential in it( and HC) being successful. I saw that Silk commercial all the time.

Not all that shocking- there are a lot of debuts once again this week, and sales were going to drop back following two consecutive weeks of gains.

Yeah, but to go from 4,100 to under 3,500 is surprising. Especially with all the shows during the tracking week.