COVID-19 aka Coronavirus

Crux

Korea was about to clear their infection but one idiot screwed them up. :rolleyes: 

Coronavirus: South Korea reports new infection cluster linked to nightclubs

• A 29-year-old man visited three nightclubs that had at least 1,500 patrons in Seoul’s popular Itaewon neighbourhood over the weekend
  • Local media initially identified the nightspots as ‘gay clubs’, sparking criticism that it could lead to discrimination and deter club-goers from getting tested

SCMP | Park Chan-kyong, Associated Press and Reuters Published: 2:16pm, 8 May, 2020

South Korea confirmed 12 new coronavirus cases on Friday, its first increase above 10 in five days, as authorities warned numbers would increase as it had identified a new cluster of infections linked to a 29-year-old man.

The IT company employee had spread the virus to at least 14 others as he wandered around the capital Seoul and four neighbouring cities over a long weekend period at the start of the month, said the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

While the 12 cases were those confirmed in the 24 hours before midnight on Thursday, more cases had since been detected, with 12 of these – including three foreigners and a South Korean soldier – linked to three nightclubs in Seoul’s popular multicultural neighbourhood of Itaewon.

The man visited the three clubs last Friday and early on Saturday and there were at least 1,500 people there, authorities said. The man did not wear a mask while in the clubs and only started showing symptoms late on Saturday.

The government now plans to issue an administrative order asking entertainment venues such as nightclubs and bars to voluntarily suspend operations for at least one more month, Yoon Tae-ho, director general for public health policy, announced on Friday.

The new cases are a setback for South Korea, which was initially the worst-hit country outside China before a mix of widespread testing and contact tracing helped keep infections down.

The country, with 10,822 confirmed cases and 256 deaths, plans to reopen schools in stages from next week with professional sports returning to action without fans in the stands.

Unlike other countries, South Korea did not impose a lockdown or mandate closure of businesses and this has contributed to strong support for President Moon Jae-in, whose approval ratings hit a record high for any democratically elected South Korean leader at the same point in their in office on Friday.

The figure was 71 per cent according to a weekly Gallup Korea tracking poll.

Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip on Friday urged people who visited the clubs in Itaewon early on Saturday to stay home and contact authorities if they developed symptoms.

“It is highly likely that there are more cases down the road,” he said.

The case occurred in circumstances “where it is very hard to track patients’ movements”, he said.

“It is like dropping a blob of ink into clean water” that could undermine health authorities’ efforts to contain the virus, he said, calling for people to endure inconveniences in combating the virus.

Read more: https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3083472/coronavirus-south-korea-reports-new-infection-cluster-linked

34 minutes ago, horn said:

Korea was about to clear their infection but one idiot screwed them up. :rolleyes: 

• A 29-year-old man visited three nightclubs that had at least 1,500 patrons in Seoul’s popular Itaewon neighbourhood over the weekend
  • Local media initially identified the nightspots as ‘gay clubs’, sparking criticism that it could lead to discrimination and deter club-goers from getting tested

SCMP | Park Chan-kyong, Associated Press and Reuters Published: 2:16pm, 8 May, 2020

South Korea confirmed 12 new coronavirus cases on Friday, its first increase above 10 in five days, as authorities warned numbers would increase as it had identified a new cluster of infections linked to a 29-year-old man.

The IT company employee had spread the virus to at least 14 others as he wandered around the capital Seoul and four neighbouring cities over a long weekend period at the start of the month, said the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

While the 12 cases were those confirmed in the 24 hours before midnight on Thursday, more cases had since been detected, with 12 of these – including three foreigners and a South Korean soldier – linked to three nightclubs in Seoul’s popular multicultural neighbourhood of Itaewon.

The man visited the three clubs last Friday and early on Saturday and there were at least 1,500 people there, authorities said. The man did not wear a mask while in the clubs and only started showing symptoms late on Saturday.

The government now plans to issue an administrative order asking entertainment venues such as nightclubs and bars to voluntarily suspend operations for at least one more month, Yoon Tae-ho, director general for public health policy, announced on Friday.

The new cases are a setback for South Korea, which was initially the worst-hit country outside China before a mix of widespread testing and contact tracing helped keep infections down.

The country, with 10,822 confirmed cases and 256 deaths, plans to reopen schools in stages from next week with professional sports returning to action without fans in the stands.

Unlike other countries, South Korea did not impose a lockdown or mandate closure of businesses and this has contributed to strong support for President Moon Jae-in, whose approval ratings hit a record high for any democratically elected South Korean leader at the same point in their in office on Friday.

The figure was 71 per cent according to a weekly Gallup Korea tracking poll.

Vice Health Minister Kim Gang-lip on Friday urged people who visited the clubs in Itaewon early on Saturday to stay home and contact authorities if they developed symptoms.

“It is highly likely that there are more cases down the road,” he said.

The case occurred in circumstances “where it is very hard to track patients’ movements”, he said.

“It is like dropping a blob of ink into clean water” that could undermine health authorities’ efforts to contain the virus, he said, calling for people to endure inconveniences in combating the virus.

Read more: https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3083472/coronavirus-south-korea-reports-new-infection-cluster-linked

This shows that there's only have to be a single sick person to start all over again. Frightening. 

My theory is that that countries will "accept" a number of deaths a day as normal and will open the economy and society.. Something horrible in my mind tbqh. But the other option is having us in eternal lockdown until late 2021 or 2022. Which I don't know if is possible.

We will all follow that route I'm afraid. 

I already got used to wearing a mask when I'm out in the street. 

The thing is that party goer and whoever in the club didn't wear mask & no social distancing. As a result, the infection returns.

Like what the Korean health authorities said "It is like dropping a blob of ink into clean water".

On 5/7/2020 at 9:51 PM, XXL said:

The UK has announced that on Sunday the government will give information about an easing of the lockdown measures :lmao:

They are now the country with the highest death toll in Europe, still 600 deaths daily and they had much more time compared to say Italy, France or Spain before it reached their shores yet they had the temerarity of starting lockdown measures later than anyone else in Europe! Talking about shit like "waiting for the peak" or "herd immunity"  :rotfl: Yes, you could have waited a bit more

And in Britain you could still exercise in parks etc something that Italians and Spaniards haven't been able to do for two fucking straight months. And they meticulously adhered

Now they even talk about reopening schools in June?????

You're a fucking joke UK government. I saw a video of people clapping for the NHS in its usual Thursday edition. Gatherings of people clapping, standing very close to each other, hardly anyone wearing a mask! 

If this was your message of a lockdown to the UK public all these past weeks God help the Brits if you talk about lifting some measure so early. Kids should not return to schools in June, sheer folly

The UK is run by an elite that is short-selling it to foreign powers, the rich getting richer, the middle class or poors getting poorer. A real shame

All these people from Boris Johnson cabinet make me laugh, rich elite kids, clean faces, all good talk and oratory classes but very little substance, much less truth, meanwhile they are screwing the people and they are paid loads of money to do so

I know man, completely agree...

I see people clapping the sky on Thurs, including my right-wing, Daily Fail/The Sun/The Express reading and Tory-voting neighbors... filthy fucking hypocrites all of them.

Some of us are very worried about the stupidity of easing up this joke of a lockdown.... 

The whole idea is cinically driven, like herd immunity - their thinking is that we are all gonna die eventually so this fucking cabinet filled to its neck with incompetent lying deceitful Benny Hill buffoons is taking chances with people lives on the back of this coronavirus pandemic. They don't give a shit about the people who have suffered, the people who have died, and those that will continue to because of this virus.

The many scandals that have emerged from the total lack of protection equipment for healthcare workers and ventilators in the UK to not counting the actual full number of deaths in nursing care facilities plus all of the ones that passed at home, are some of the tip of the Toryshit iceberg....

Benny Hill buffoon Johnson is unfit to lead anything like the rest of his disgraceful cabinet if ignorant turds. The UK government has blood in its shitty Tory hands. 

Hope everyone is safe and well.

14 hours ago, Gaudet said:

I see people clapping the sky on Thurs, including my right-wing, Daily Fail/The Sun/The Express reading and Tory-voting neighbors... filthy fucking hypocrites all of them.

Some of us are very worried about the stupidity of easing up this joke of a lockdown.... 

The whole idea is cinically driven, like herd immunity - their thinking is that we are all gonna die eventually so this fucking cabinet filled to its neck with incompetent lying deceitful Benny Hill buffoons is taking chances with people lives on the back of this coronavirus pandemic. They don't give a shit about the people who have suffered, the people who have died, and those that will continue to because of this virus.

The many scandals that have emerged from the total lack of protection equipment for healthcare workers and ventilators in the UK to not counting the actual full number of deaths in nursing care facilities plus all of the ones that passed at home, are some of the tip of the Toryshit iceberg....

Benny Hill buffoon Johnson is unfit to lead anything like the rest of his disgraceful cabinet if ignorant turds. The UK government has blood in its shitty Tory hands. 

Leave Benny Hill alone! :americanlife: 

PS: You can continue calling BJ as buffoon.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:51 PM, Butter9 said:

Hahaha we do eat some weird things too in Thailand especially in the provinces like field rats ( never tried it ) that feed of rice and lizards as well as deep fried insects .The tourists love them too . I asked my friend who is Chinese once why do they eat dogs in China and he said the meat gives them warmth in the bitterly cold winter . It's the old age belief but I hope all of us have learned something from this pandemic .

I think on the whole our culture has saved us a lot of lives .The fact that we are quite reserved as people ( no kissing / hugging / touching unless you're besties ) and maybe the way we live our lives is different than those in the West .

Personally I just feel like 90% of our people were / are really afraid of catching it . And when we went into lockdown the street was virtually empty and people respected the rules . Our government didn't;t do such good job at helping the less unfortunately . So many people who were left without jobs , incomes , savings  didn't get any help from the government .

The new normal ( how I hate that phase ) is unfortunately here . My office will open fully end of this month and wearing face mask is mandatory and you will be notified and then fired if you do not comply . Who would have thought that it would have come to this ?  

Stay strong and lets make it through this together ! 🙏

Omg

That is so sad

The people did more for themselves than the government cared to

Yes, it's great after two straight months to finally be able to enjoy parks, city walks, order a coffee take away etc but the new normal still feels weird

Sure, we'll only make it if we play together, best for all

On 5/9/2020 at 12:26 AM, Gaudet said:

And now the Johnson's cabinet have imposed a two weeks quarantine to anybody flying in the UK now  :rotfl:

Are these people for real? Nobody wants to come to the UK right now. It's the one country in Europe well over a month behind the curve. Are they stupid or do they really think that Britishness is some sort of superior or Godly nationality?

On 5/8/2020 at 4:35 PM, funkydita said:

With particularly messy, unclear and confusing comms and messaging, which is likely to get even more messy with the unveiling of the next phase on Sunday.  We should have gone full lockdown, it’s just much clearer as a call to action. 

They changed the emergency slogan now. It's not Stay Home, Save the NHS, Save Lives anymore ...

0_EXouNQoXgAE7OsF.jpg

:semifunny:

Coronavirus outbreak

Nicola Sturgeon leads criticism of UK’s new ‘stay alert’ coronavirus lockdown advice

Labour says government’s latest messaging risks making people think lockdown is over

The UK government’s new advice for people to “stay alert” instead of “stay at home” has been criticised for being unclear about whether the lockdown is over, with Scotland and Wales saying they will stick with the original message at this critical point in the epidemic.

The government briefed the latest “stay alert” messaging to the media overnight, ahead of Boris Johnson’s speech at 7pm on Sunday about easing the lockdown, but Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister of Scotland, said she had been given no advance sight of the slogan.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/10/nicola-sturgeon-leads-criticism-of-uks-new-stay-alert-coronavirus-lockdown-advice

19 minutes ago, XXL said:

They changed the emergency slogan now. It's not Stay Home, Save the NHS, Save Lives anymore ...

0_EXouNQoXgAE7OsF.jpg

:semifunny:

At least they’ve used green, a colour well known to represent caution and care rather than one of those colours that, you know, imply “Go! Nothing to worry about here”.  And “stay alert”, super clear, I now know exactly what’s expected of me.

Have to say, the way the media has covered this in the last week or so has been awful - it’s part of the reason our lockdown has been weakened, people in my local area are becoming really SLACK with following guidance (likely because they believe the front pages that imply it’ll all be better tomorrow).

What does stay alert means?

:lmao: 

Of course there's no room for nuance in these scenarios you moron, you do things properly from very early on, request a sacrifice, verify on that request and then and only then you can rip off the benefits and start the easing process, when you see the situation significantly improve not when you're in the eye of the storm

The Former UK Medical Chief was absolutely right from the start, back as early as January, not only the Government doesn't know what they're doing but it's equally surrounded by a Chief Medical Team of inepts

3 minutes ago, karbatal said:

Hello hello hello

The scandal starts unfolding. The WHO is going to be exposed

Well I've always said that the WHO is somewhat bizarre. Publicizing Gaga latest record rather than talking to scientists etc

Certainly as untransperent as it gets

1 hour ago, XXL said:

Omg

That is so sad

The people did more for themselves than the government cared to

Yes, it's great after two straight months to finally be able to enjoy parks, city walks, order a coffee take away etc but the new normal still feels weird

Sure, we'll only make it if we play together, best for all

YES ! We did almost everything ourselves . They announced the lockdown without think of the precautions and safety measures . Thai Government was saying one thing 

and the Bangkok governor was saying another . The first week was a nightmare but here we are still safe and sound .

The new normal . It's weird isn't it. My family and I was in Italy ( Rome , Venice , Florence & Milan ) in October and on out way back we were saying we want to go back and explore 

the Amalfi coast in the spring / summer . 

How fast has everything changed ?  Until there is a vaccine this is the way we have to live I guess . 

6 minutes ago, Butter9 said:

YES ! We did almost everything ourselves . They announced the lockdown without think of the precautions and safety measures . Thai Government was saying one thing 

and the Bangkok governor was saying another . The first week was a nightmare but here we are still safe and sound .

The new normal . It's weird isn't it. My family and I was in Italy ( Rome , Venice , Florence & Milan ) in October and on out way back we were saying we want to go back and explore 

the Amalfi coast in the spring / summer . 

How fast has everything changed ?  Until there is a vaccine this is the way we have to live I guess . 

You people are amazing

Cannot wait for this nightmare to be over so we can all resume our lives and continue living or pursuing our dreams in full

There were no strategies for protecting the vulnerable and there had been a failure to engage the public. “We have a superficial prime minister who has got no grasp of public health,” Ashton said.

“Our lot are behaving like 19th-century colonialists playing a five-day game of cricket.

45 minutes ago, XXL said:

You people are amazing

Cannot wait for this nightmare to be over so we can all resume our lives and continue living or pursuing our dreams in full

Yes but a lot of things will change forever . The way we study , live , travel and work ( a lot of companies including mine have now realised that they could still operate with 

less people . Less locations etc . ) 

5 hours ago, Butter9 said:

Yes but a lot of things will change forever . The way we study , live , travel and work ( a lot of companies including mine have now realised that they could still operate with 

less people . Less locations etc . ) 

Sure

Less jobs

Less money

Basically 2008 X  10

I was listening to Boris Johnson's great acting skills in his Sunday message, as always devoid of any actual content, using the same tired rethoric "we're in this together, we'll be an even greater nation at the end of it" but not giving an ounce of substance or clarity as to how things actually stand and how and when for medium to small businesses it will be actually conceivable to start moving forward or at least have a minimum of pre planning

They act as if they were not responsible for this from the start with their Psycho herd immunity nonsense, and like they were not the last country in Europe to finally enforce a lockdown (which was never an Italian or Spanish style lockdown to begin with, masks should have been made mandatory from the start! Parks? Closed!)

The result: still over 600 deaths daily, no accountability, no clear indications, the vaguest of instructions. Yet they always act and feel like the UK is ten steps ahead of the world when it's actually five steps behind

How comes Germany had all those ventilators provisions from the start and Merkel acted promptly etc and they could not?

How comes even Italy who was touched first by this tragedy and very aggressively too did manage to come down from thousands of death to 200 daily, and Italy doesn't exactly match Germany's financial resources or pre emptive organisational skills

SARS-Cov-2 RNA Found on Particulate Matter of Bergamo in Northern Italy: First Preliminary Evidence

This possibly explains why it is stills spreading while people are stay home. Since the virus is sticky it can attach to particles in the air making easier to spread.

Madonna did say it's in the air! Madame X, the scientist! 

8 hours ago, XXL said:

Sure

Less jobs

Less money

Basically 2008 X  10

With virus . 60% of my friends who work for airlines / hospitality businesses are out of work . 

The future of tourism 

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/tourism-future-asia-coronavirus-intl-hnk/index.html

2 hours ago, karbatal said:

Bam! 

:lmao:

And they shouldn't wait until the employee menaces. This is the perfect opportunity to get rid of MORONS in firms.

To make them public figure is the best way to feed them and to give them more power, though

On 5/9/2020 at 2:45 AM, horn said:

Latest news is it's spreading and forced Korean government to delay the start of school.

The worst part is that 29yo is gay and all the clubs he had visited are gay & lesbian clubs.

Now those infected gays are reluctant to go for the test due to their sexuality issue.

One stupid gay fucked us all up. :rolleyes: I hope he didn't join an orgy or something.

1 hour ago, horn said:

Latest news is it's spreading and forced Korean government to delay the start of school.

The worst part is that 29yo is gay and all the clubs he had visited are gay & lesbian clubs.

Now those infected gays are reluctant to go for the test due to their sexuality issue.

One stupid gay fucked us all up. :rolleyes: I hope he didn't join an orgy or something.

What's the point of pointing out he was gay? I don't see any difference from any other person who could have gone to a supermarket and passed the virus. 

Really, I hope nobody makes an issue of him being gay.