Coronavirus

MadFan

Spain is in super red alert. Even weddings are cancelled by law! 

Most Chinese businesses are closed "on holiday". Rumor says they went to China because they didn't trust Spanish measures :rotfl:. I hope it's a fake rumor. I can't imagine Chinese health system being better tbqh.

Can someone who knows something about something explain something ....

they say that all these measures like travel bans, no large gatherings, washing hands like OCD, etc, will only delay the spread by 1 up to maybe 4 weeks. 

for most people who contract it, the symptoms are mild and people recover within about a week.  Once you’ve had it, you don’t get it again. 

so doesn’t it make sense for young and healthy people who are able to stay home For a week to get the virus, get better, and then they will no longer be able to spread the virus, and we can stop all this. 

9 minutes ago, Paul said:

they say that all these measures like travel bans, no large gatherings, washing hands like OCD, etc, will only delay the spread by 1 up to maybe 4 weeks. 

for most people who contract it, the symptoms are mild and people recover within about a week.  Once you’ve had it, you don’t get it again. 

so doesn’t it make sense for young and healthy people who are able to stay home For a week to get the virus, get better, and then they will no longer be able to spread the virus, and we can stop all this. 

The goal is to avoid saturation in hospitals. The problem is not if we're ill, but being everyone ill at the same time. There's not enough resources. 

Everyone of us can become a vessel and pass the virus to someone who is at risk of having a critical reaction. We don't have to think of us, but the general well being. 

Stores are getting crazier than Black Friday sales. This guy deserves a raise! I myself have seen shoppers acting even more berserk than this over the Coronavirus.

Video: Coronavirus tensions erupt among shoppers at Brooklyn Costco

BROOKLYN (WABC) -- As fears about the spread of coronavirus mount, shoppers at a Brooklyn Costco yelled at each other Thursday morning in a confrontation that was caught on video.

The incident was only the latest instance of panic buying connected to the spread of the virus across the nation. Staple items like paper towels and toilet paper have been in short supply as Americans face uncertainty of the virus' long-term impact.

The uploader described tensions at the New York City store as "very high." The shoppers were waiting in a line when the confrontation happened about 11:45 a.m.

Employees at the store sought to calm the shoppers.

"As human beings, we've got to come together at a time like this," a Costco employee says. "So I need you guys to calm down."

A woman is heard yelling, "Don't let her touch me with that cart again," as the employee tries to intervene.

Rumors abound that Drumpf has the virus. Many who have been around him are testing positive. 

March 12, 2020 at 5:19 AM EDT - Updated March 12 at 4:45 PM 

(AP) — The communications chief for Brazil’s president tested positive for the new coronavirus just days after flying with his boss to Florida where he also met President Donald Trump.

59 minutes ago, Paul said:

51 minutes ago, karbatal said:

The goal is to avoid saturation in hospitals. The problem is not if we're ill, but being everyone ill at the same time. There's not enough resources. 

Everyone of us can become a vessel and pass the virus to someone who is at risk of having a critical reaction. We don't have to think of us, but the general well being. 

Yes, thank you, karb! This line of thought like "let's all just get it and be done with it" is surprisingly widespread and very dangerous. For example, there's only about one million hospital beds available in the United States at any given time -- a country of 325 million people. Right now, one out of every 10 people who contracts the virus ends up in the hospital, so you'd only need 10 million concurrent infections to completely max out the U.S. healthcare system. If you had 20 million concurrent infections, American hospitals would be treating people on stretchers in hallways and conference rooms for days on end.

It's very scary.

Guest eroticerotic

My company made it mandatory today to work remotely all next week. And every week we will follow up on when to come back to the office physically. We also installed a bunch of hand sanitizer dispensers and stocked up on disinfectant supplies. 

Chinese expert team lands at Rome Airport with equipment to help in tackling Coronavirus in the wake of significant decrease in cases 

6 hours ago, mimimong said:

I am praying for Madonna and I hope she doesn't catch this

Hope they test her because she was close to many fans from different countries, including many Italian fans. with her injury she may be a little weaker so I hope she takes good care of herself. I remember they said she had a bad cold last week

2 hours ago, Paul said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/?fbclid=IwAR1f0JoUy2p9WN04goADtj0s0G2JUWZNUxASb7PKhkSuXRGJBmwz-YVLbuY

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

thanks for the responses, but you have missed my point.

Nobody who's responded has missed your point at all.  This is highly infectious, 1000x more so than SARS was.  It's the young and asymptomatic carriers who infect those at risk  At risk doesn't mean simply the elderly either.  If you have asthma, diabetes, any heart condition, your risk is much greater.  Many of the "non-severe" cases require hospitalization for pneumonia.  You CAN become reinfected even after testing negative, as multiple cases in Asia and elsewhere have proven.  Finally, the severe cases cause permanent lung damage that reduces your oxygen intake forever even if you recover.  None of this is good or something you should deliberately go out of your way to get.  It's also airborne and can linger in the air for 3 hours if someone coughs and you walk through it.  So you could VERY easily pass it to a number of other people who are at risk without even knowing.

The world has not basically shut down for nothing.  Anyone who knows anything about exponential growth can also see where this is going.  Italy had only a few cases 2 weeks ago.

43 minutes ago, rebelvvv said:

Nobody who's responded has missed your point at all.  This is highly infectious, 1000x more so than SARS was.  It's the young and asymptomatic carriers who infect those at risk  At risk doesn't mean simply the elderly either.  If you have asthma, diabetes, any heart condition, your risk is much greater.  Many of the "non-severe" cases require hospitalization for pneumonia.  You CAN become reinfected even after testing negative, as multiple cases in Asia and elsewhere have proven.  Finally, the severe cases cause permanent lung damage that reduces your oxygen intake forever even if you recover.  None of this is good or something you should deliberately go out of your way to get.  It's also airborne and can linger in the air for 3 hours if someone coughs and you walk through it.  So you could VERY easily pass it to a number of other people who are at risk without even knowing.

The world has not basically shut down for nothing.  Anyone who knows anything about exponential growth can also see where this is going.  Italy had only a few cases 2 weeks ago.

Thanks! I was only referring to people who were healthy and could isolate, and did not mean other measures should be stopped. But this is the info that I didn't fully understand. I'm more worried now. Luckily I work from home so can mostly stay away from people. Australia is cancelling some public events, but not others saying there is no need, which is very inconsistent. A friend of mine attended a cricket match last week where there was a case found in the section he was sitting, so he is now self-isolating, but they are not testing. I guess we are all just going to have to get used to a different way of life for a while.

16 minutes ago, Paul said:

Thanks! I was only referring to people who were healthy and could isolate, and did not mean other measures should be stopped. But this is the info that I didn't fully understand. I'm more worried now. Luckily I work from home so can mostly stay away from people. Australia is cancelling some public events, but not others saying there is no need, which is very inconsistent. A friend of mine attended a cricket match last week where there was a case found in the section he was sitting, so he is now self-isolating, but they are not testing. I guess we are all just going to have to get used to a different way of life for a while.

No government will tell you the truth though as western democracies such as Italy start to ramp up, it can't be hidden any more and will be obvious.  Also all businesses care about $$$ so they aren't going to close voluntarily (looking at you, Disney World).  Yesterday, the NY mayor was still saying Broadway would be business as usual and today the governor shut it down.  Live Nation and AEG are cancelling all tours for the foreseeable future.

Big tech and finance (aka the stock market) freaked out last week and started all the work from home and crashes because those with a statistics background who understand exponential growth can see there's no stopping this and where it is heading. The only way to help is to slow it down as much as possible so the healthcare system doesn't get so overwhelmed, even people with non-virus but life-threatening conditions like heart attacks, strokes, accidents, can't still be saved.

As an example of what happens when people continue to go "it's just the flu" and not practice social distancing, see Iran, which still insists it has few cases and hasn't tested much but has dug mass graves so large they're now visible from space. (NYT/WP/the Guardian)

Individually, we shouldn't panic and many people will be fine, but preparing IMO isn't panic, it's facing reality.  You might have to try to stay away from people or stay at home if you can for a while.  The time to prep though is before the real panic hits and more of the western world and Australia becomes like Italy.  I don't want to panic anyone or be right, but you can check my  post in 2 weeks.  2 weeks ago Italy had 159 cases, and they've been taking FAR more draconian measures than anyone else and even banned visitors from China early on.

I'm not going to sit here and play the blame game or discuss conspiracy theories, but the fact is that whatever we think, China dumped all its economic resources and medical professionals to tackle 1% of its population in the crisis center to get even its published mortality rate as low as it was (and still 24x as deadly as the common flu).  This isn't something to just think will go away without everyone doing their part to avoid it as much as possible.

4 hours ago, I Don’t Search I Find said:

Stores are getting crazier than Black Friday sales. This guy deserves a raise! I myself have seen shoppers acting even more berserk than this over the Coronavirus.

Video: Coronavirus tensions erupt among shoppers at Brooklyn Costco

BROOKLYN (WABC) -- As fears about the spread of coronavirus mount, shoppers at a Brooklyn Costco yelled at each other Thursday morning in a confrontation that was caught on video.

The incident was only the latest instance of panic buying connected to the spread of the virus across the nation. Staple items like paper towels and toilet paper have been in short supply as Americans face uncertainty of the virus' long-term impact.

The uploader described tensions at the New York City store as "very high." The shoppers were waiting in a line when the confrontation happened about 11:45 a.m.

Employees at the store sought to calm the shoppers.

"As human beings, we've got to come together at a time like this," a Costco employee says. "So I need you guys to calm down."

A woman is heard yelling, "Don't let her touch me with that cart again," as the employee tries to intervene.

I would have just coughed on all of them.