MADAME X: official reviews are in: MADAME X is a hit with the critics!

From PJ:

This is what that sad sac wrote in his review of the Ray of Light album,

“In just the first song, “Drowned World/Substitute for Love,” Madonna throws in trip-hop drum loops, jungle snares, string samples and pointless computer bleeps (lots of those). She shows off all these trinkets from her expensive collection of electronica gimmicks as if she’s unpacking her shopping bags after a day at the outlet malls and she doesn’t even care if they clash. “Drowned World” comes on loud, tacky and ridiculous, but it lets Madonna do what she does best: show off.”

I find it hard to believe that this is a professional critic. The review reads like a user review posted on metacritic from someone who just listens to Top 40 radio and has no knowledge about other music genres or world music.

14 minutes ago, Nikki said:

From PJ:

“In just the first song, “Drowned World/Substitute for Love,” Madonna throws in trip-hop drum loops, jungle snares, string samples and pointless computer bleeps (lots of those). She shows off all these trinkets from her expensive collection of electronica gimmicks as if she’s unpacking her shopping bags after a day at the outlet malls and she doesn’t even care if they clash. “Drowned World” comes on loud, tacky and ridiculous, but it lets Madonna do what she does best: show off.”

My god, what an arse, If he says that about a masterpiece like DW, then there's really no hope for him.

Edit, just read his other reviews and he's Gaga stan, so that says it all really.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/lady-gaga-second-act-759060/

"She chomps the scenery like she’s trying to win an EGOT, a Super Bowl and a Nobel Prize for chemistry in one movie. (Madonna tried to pull off this same makeover in a dozen flicks and failed each time.)"

Oh god, he's a hater, let's tweet him

https://twitter.com/robsheff

6 minutes ago, M_Sinner said:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/lady-gaga-second-act-759060/

"She chomps the scenery like she’s trying to win an EGOT, a Super Bowl and a Nobel Prize for chemistry in one movie. (Madonna tried to pull off this same makeover in a dozen flicks and failed each time.)"

Oh god, he's a hater, let's tweet him

https://twitter.com/robsheff

Yep, definitely a Gaga loon, so we shouldn't pay any attention to his "reviews" as he's clearly biased.

11 minutes ago, Crux said:

My god, what an arse, If he says that about a masterpiece like DW, then there's really no hope for him.

Edit, just read his other reviews and he's Gaga stan, so that says it all really.

yes.

let's just take from this review that the album will be experimental and different. it's not like he gave us anything else anyway. what an unprofessional review

21 minutes ago, Nikki said:

From PJ:

I'm sure he changed his tune when ROL became an acclaimed masterpiece. :chuckle:

This guy must have been smoking marijuana while listening to the record. I like the word "weird".... Madonna is brilliant when weird.

The best Madonna songs for me ,are those that are weird. The ones that don't want radio to play them.I like those ones. Songs like " Skin"...."Sky fits Heaven"....."impressive instant"..." Bedtime stories"..."cyberagga"....

39 minutes ago, Crux said:

Yep, definitely a Gaga loon, so we shouldn't pay any attention to his "reviews" as he's clearly biased.

The attempt to set a negative narrative before release is also rather transparent.

30 minutes ago, rukydee said:

This guy must have been smoking marijuana while listening to the record. I like the word "weird".... Madonna is brilliant when weird.

The best Madonna songs for me ,are those that are weird. The ones that don't want radio to play them.I like those ones. Songs like " Skin"...."Sky fits Heaven"....."impressive instant"..." Bedtime stories"..."cyberagga"....

I so agree with this

The biggest problem is that there is no indication of what Sheffield defines as weirdness! We all have subjective ideas of what that means: creative freedom run wild, non-conformist to current pop aesthetics, unconventional song structure, unfamiliar vocal technique, styles, production...

Instead we get a description of a previous album by the same creative team as “ass” and the projections of what sounds like refuted fandom...the “I used to like Madonna” chorus always focuses on her cultural status, and almost never on her actual creative output. It’s both a sign of the times and a statement on how limited and contrarian the criteria for a music review by a major recording artist seem to be in 2019. The beauty of the old RS, Mojo and Q magazine reviews, whether positive or negative was in the sense that the reviewer had actually taken the time to live the music both sonically and lyrically. There was a mood. 

Perhaps in fairness to Sheffield part of the issue is with being limited to taking notes from two listens in a shared public space with other critics drinking champagne and eating finger food, and then trying to re-contextualize it all in a one page review. Still, shame on him for not stating that if it contributed to his mediocre offering. 

1 hour ago, Nikki said:

From PJ:

Thats the most APPALLING thing I have ever read about the greatest Madonna song IMO... I dont think it gets any better than DW/SFL and he has written this???? Well that guy has ZERO music taste. How he is a critic AFTER such a fuck up???????

I’m kinda worried about the album. 

I’ve only liked Medellin the other 3 songs were a complete let down and don’t plan to listen to it. So almost half of the album is bad to me already.

i wished she hadn’t released any songs cuz they kinda killed my excitement.

that being said, I don’t know if I trust this review since they talk crap about American life and that’s my favorite Madonna album. 

As some of the others said, the review doesn't match the score at all.

I love reading the reviews especially when she is praised. But in reality, any kind of art is sooo subjective!! A piece of painting I love, can be hated by someone else. Same with music. Someone who is into heavy metal, reviewing an R&B album for example. How does it even work??

When I read it, it sounded brilliant to me! Can't wait to hear the rest of her weirdest album yet!!! 

Edit: they gave 3.5 to Maluma's album so they say it is better.

31 minutes ago, the-queen said:

My review will be the real review. 😎

I already love your review ! 😆

3 minutes ago, Butter9 said:

I already love your review ! 😆

When the album is released and I’ve had a good listen look out for it. :thumbsup:

The ROL review was even commented on at the time, by loadsa people.. cuz it was trying hard not 2b THAT positive or glowing
while stille giving it 4 stars.

I think it even had a line like 'But even God prefers 'Angel' (the song)'

2 minutes ago, fandonna said:

L O L

this delusional caca stan must be banned. 

:wacko:joanne is her best album??? Even I, who have never listened to a G album, know its her worst. The delusion! But then again, after reading what he has to say about the PERFECT DW/SFL, there is nothing that this "critic" can say that could really shock me.

WTF cares about official reviews? What does normal/weird mean anyway? 

Bring on the album which will be AMAZING. Imho her work with Mirwais is the best and I‘m so in love with all the tracks so far, not only Medellín. Can‘t wait for Dark Ballet!

3 hours ago, Nikki said:

well im not saying to dismiss it cuz he critiqued M in a gaga review, and you have to expect that this album will probably get very different reviews if it's very weird and experimental.. let's just keep this in mind when reading the review

I wasn't sarcastic, I actually agree, that this (Gaga) factor might be crucial. How often do we get unprejudiced reviews, when it comes to Gaga fans? lol