Rolling Stone: The Greatest Songwriters of All Time

Guest HaveASit

Guest HaveASit

#56 Madonna

Before she was a star, Madonna was a songwriter with a sharp ear for a hook and a lyrical catchphrase, playing tracks like "Lucky Star" for record companies in the hope of scoring a contract. Her earliest hits honed the electro beats coming out of the New York club scene into universal radio gold. But songs like her greatest statement, "Like a Prayer," can also summon an anthemic power to rival Springsteen or U2. Madonna has enlisted numerous collaborators en route to selling more than 300 million albums she started working with longtime writing partner Patrick Leonard after he brought her "Live to Tell" in 1986, and from Shep Pettibone and William Orbit in the Nineties through Diplo, Avicii and Kanye West on 2015's Rebel Heart, she's worked successfully with producers across many genres. Through it all, her songs have been consistently stamped with her own sensibility and inflected with autobiographical detail. "She grew up on Joni Mitchell and Motown and. . . embodies the best of both worlds," says Rick Nowells, who co-wrote with Madonna on 1998's Ray of Light. "She is a wonderful confessional songwriter, as well as being a superb hit chorus pop writer."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-songwriters#madonna

Guest HaveASit

Well, Max Martin may have worked with some pretty shite people, but this guy knows how to write/produce a catch hook. He has like 21 number one hits under his belt (insane, I know). Plus, songs like "Since You've Been Gone" are genius.

It's about time she actually gets praised for her MUSIC and not her image reinventions and business sense. And they managed to do it without a backhanded compliment! Good job Rolling Stone!

Guest Rachelle of London

Go M!

Funny my friend that hates Madonna and is really into rock music even says she's one of the greatest songwriters. People out there know it's just media tries to downplay her all the time

My friend who studied Jazz said that all her friends at the academy

(and trust me it's not an artsy school, more nerdy :lol:) said they

all think she's a genius at melody.

When Celebration the song came out she said the music is crap,

but damn that melody and you can tell she didn't even make an

effort...she probably just took a shit in her sleep and it's still great. :D

One night they all got together at watched my copy of the Girlie Show

'cuz I forced her, she's an aspiring cabaret/folk performer, & they all

LOVED it.

Not that any of this mean ANYTHING. :fag:

My friend who studied Jazz said that all her friends at the academy

(and trust me it's not an artsy school, more nerdy :lol:) said they

all think she's a genius at melody.

When Celebration the song came out she said the music is crap,

but damn that melody and you can tell she didn't even make an

effort...she probably just took a shit in her sleep and it's still great. :D

One night they all got together at watched my copy of the Girlie Show

'cuz I forced her, she's an aspiring cabaret/folk performer, & they all

LOVED it.

Not that any of this mean ANYTHING. :fag:

Love hearing stuff like this :laugh:

Go Madge :clap:

Magica

Back when notable critic Dave Marsh put out The New Book of Rock Lists (1994), he had a Top 100 Songwriters list, with 25 for each decade (the 1980s and 1990s were combined). Madonna appeared at No. 24 on the the 80s/90s list (in the same book, she also appeared at No. 1 on the top 40 Most Important Women (Female Performers Who've Made the Greatest Impact).